Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, May 31, 2018.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    So the Steam Awards are on and one of the categories is the "Best Alternate History" award. Personally I nominated Odyssey and I suggest you do the same. Unless you think the idea of the ancient Greece where half of the soldiers and mercenaries are women isn't award worthy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    I couldn't care less about the gender of soldiers since I accept the game as fantasy and good kind of fantasy(low magic), tho I've been visiting game's wiki and its irritating to see every reference to protag is reading "misthios" + "kassandra", instead of simply misthios. Either female option is canon(?) or people editing the wiki are buncha butthurt sexists :P

^ Top  
  3. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    How dare you presume that Odyssey identifies as fantasy?!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. glass blackbird Learned Patron

glass blackbird
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    They used the woman for the novels and stuff I think, so inasmuch as anything can be canon, she's the canon protagonist. But who cares it's a dumb game

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson
    What. The. Fuck. Is. Up. With. The. Mercenaries. And. Aggro. System. In. This. Game.

- okay so I killed some Athens captain in buttfuck nowhere, got 2 helmet bounty, nice and easy, I then wandered around in a Spartan territory. Two mercenaries up on my ass, they chased me to a Spartan camp, and the Spartan soldiers in there proceed to... attack me???

- Some asshole merc got alerted while I was running around in a city, he attacked me first, I defensed myself of course, the city guards proceed to gang rape me???

- I led a merc from an empty field with no one in sight into a fort so obviously no one knew who started the fight, yet the Athens guards in that fort fought me instead of the merc???

- I outed a Spartan king in a story mission and he got exiled, post cutscene I got to chase him down and eliminate him for good, while we were fighting the Spartan soldiers from the city joined the fight... against me instead of the betrayal proved king, what???

- Why am I prohibited to enter faction camps and forts, yet other mercenaries are free to do so? Why are they instantly attracted to where I'm hiding in these places like I have a fucking GPS on my head?

- I just freed some slaves, fought their captors, somehow got bounty from it, the slaves went back and sucker punched me?

Seriously this game quite possibly has the very worst faction system I've ever played through. No matter which side you just fight for minutes earlier, if you engage with someone immediately after, they will always attack you, no question asked. Literally aside from wild animals, every NPC in this game is programmed to be against you once you have bounty or you're fighting against anyone. Civilians will fight you, chickens will fight you, everyone except your right hand Barnabas will fight you, and the game conveniently drops 2 or 3 mercenaries near you so they can fuck up what you're doing in the most convenient way possible.

Does anyone find this fun? Honest question, because everything related to mercenaries and NPC aggro in this game has just been a pain in the ass for me :what:

• nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    There is a theme running through this post.

^ Top  
  7. Life of the Party Magister

Life of the Party

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Insect Hordes Educated

Insect Hordes
    Everybody sounds like Boris and Natasha in this pile of shit.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Atlantico Magister Patron

Atlantico
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    This looks terribad, and I like the game. It's like an ugly pus from the older games, and like them, void of any self-critical thinking or i.r.o.n.y.

Some old fart with a lame-ass micro-penis blade (as opposed to your massive cock of a spear of Leon-fucking-nidas) is telling you, he spends his life fighting against those who slaughter (huh like the PlayerCharacter? Like the fucking Ass-Ass-ins?) and against those who feel superior to others ... is this a game where I play a badass Spartan or a fucking [​IMG] larping sim? No you old fart, you spend your days practicing the blade, so you can defend the honor of m'lady.

The incredibly pathetic home-made micropenis blade and the sad, sad, manifesto declaration by the old incel is nothing short of mega turbo-dweeb status.

It's like the game is telling me that not only am I meeting this guy, right here
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

but I'm also in awe, how fucking cool he is. :roll:

I did not realize my eyes could physically roll that far back in my head.

This first expansion looks like a dumb and tonedeaf mess, will skip.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] of [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Life of the Party Magister

Life of the Party
    It's this guy.

A proponent of free will.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Atlantico Magister Patron

Atlantico
    It's not about who he is, it's what he says and that penisblade.

A proponent of faggotry, judging by the trailer.

This ass-lore has to die. It is stupid, only complete retards and sophists would consider the "lore" profound, let alone engaging.

Exmaples:

- All the protagonist does in all Ass games, this one included, is slaughter people.
    - To feel superior to all other people, because you're basically god-of-death.
    - Free will is not even a thing, even though there are *some* choices in this game (finally), it's so incredibly ironic to use free will in any of these Ass games, that the less said about it, the better the games are.
    - Let's say, for argument's sake that the penisblade was impressive and not laughably stupid at some point - compared to the Spear of Leonidas, it is lough-out-loud sad and pathetic.

I wouldn't be caught dead with this incel toy

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

when I have the Spear of Leonidas, one of the most epic weapons ever

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    The main theme of this game is cool

Gonna play this on PC (I played a bit on my brother's PS4). I'm aiming to 60 FPS with a 1060 GTX. Wish me luck. :salute:

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    Wait a second, they turned Darius into an assassin? WTF? And when i thought alt-history in creed games couldn't get any worse...

^ Top  
  14. Atlantico Magister Patron

Atlantico
    That is enough GPU for the game to reach 60fps, no worries, just make sure you have a CPU to match - the game is CPU heavy, so ymmv. If you back that 1060 up with a relatively recent CPU, you'll be fine.

It's not just that is is so bad, because it is so bad, it's that they think they're being smart or interesting. Every single time the games touch that idiotic "lore" and go all second rate Dan Brown on our ass, that's when the suckage begins. AC:Odyssey has a reasonable enough plot, and by no coincidence is almost free of any "lore" that burdens all other Ass games.

Every time they start with the "lore" I feel like I'm trapped in an elevator with a particularly flatulent person.

^ Top  
  15. CrunchyHemorrhoids Liturgist

CrunchyHemorrhoids
    Most fun I've had with an AC game since Unity.

The level system is worthless, designed to sell XP boost packs to struggling casual players (easier difficulty modes get less XP and so struggle a lot more with the game's level-based/levelgating difficulty). Thankfully it's nothing cheatengine can't fix (just boost yourself to max level asap).

The writing is straight out of those cheap late 90s/early 00s fantasy tv shows (legend of the seeker, hercules etc). So it's pc and lots of teen/young adult humor and tone, still more entertaining than the dullness of the previous 3 entries. They're introducing significant features with patches, and considering how Origins also got a pc-only tweaking/configuring menu a year later, it's possible that you'll be able to tweak the bigger mechanical flaws out of the game once they 're done developing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. typical user Learned

typical user
    Care to expand on this? Got me curious about that.

^ Top  
  17. CrunchyHemorrhoids Liturgist

CrunchyHemorrhoids

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    the performance of this game is awful, what happened?
    Origins ran great.

^ Top  
  19. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    So cheesy dumb fodder fantasy and teen humour are fun and the opposite is dull.

:updatedmytxt:

^ Top  
  20. Phobos Literate

Phobos
    Translating DX12 calls to DX11 creates massive CPU overhead, all of their Anvil Next games suffer from this.

^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    kassandra is a
    Show Spoiler
    qt

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Atlantico Magister Patron

Atlantico
    Would it kill them to offer the game in DX12 mode as an option? The CPU overhead in this game is just silly.

^ Top  
  23. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    can someone list the relevant cheat engine table for this game?

^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    100% greek
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    honestly no idea why this is even an assassin's creed game instead of just a historical standalone game

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)