Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
would a unique historical AAA RPG really sell worse than the 72nd installment of a franchise?

I'm with you there, all the way, it's just the risk averse industry that has crushed jelly for a spine that can't even begin to contemplate the idea of something that's not already a part of a franchise.

They only create new franchises when they're desperate.

Quillon

Arcane
I finished it with Alexios then tried Kassandra but dropped the playthrough after first island. Voice type/quality is subjective but I think Alexios delivers the lines better; he knows what he's talking about instead of reading a text normally like Kassandra does f.i. go listen "hello eye, I see you" pun on youtube for both...or any monologue really.

btw. there is no sexual orientatian choice :P he was bi by default, all game long I had to say to that Alkibiades guy "I would normally but I won't fuck you right now" ffs

Codex Year of the Donut
The game is held back heavily by having to be historical(which... is hilarious considering all the other history they threw out the window for political purposes)

being unable to actually influence anything is :decline:

Codex Year of the Donut
honestly feels like two separate writing teams worked on this
how can you have a part of the main storyline be about a woman who earned her freedom when women are treated equivalent to men in this alternate history?

Oracsbox

honestly feels like two separate writing teams worked on this
how can you have a part of the main storyline be about a woman who earned her freedom when women are treated equivalent to men in this alternate history?
The writing in Assassin Creed games has always been a bit erratic.

Codex Year of the Donut
2mJCmpi.jpg
They'll never see me coming

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Every single AC game is trash when it comes to historicity. Unmitigated dumpster fire.

Even so, your question doesn't even make sense. People are not treated equivalent to each other, men or women, in this game.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have been playing it quite a bit (I'm up to level 27).

But I'm starting to get bored with it.

Are there any significant gameplay changes that happen later on? Because right now, I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over and over. Scout fort. Kill the inhabitants. Go talk to some NPC. Get a boring fetch quest. Stumble across an ancient ruin with cool design but no interesting loot. Get into a sea battle, curse the janky controls and go find something else to do.

For a while, it seemed like mercenaries were getting tougher (I don't think that the low level ones had those AoE fire/poison attacks, for example), but I don't think I've seen anything new out of them for a while, either.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there any significant gameplay changes that happen later on? Because right now, I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over and over. Scout fort. Kill the inhabitants. Go talk to some NPC. Get a boring fetch quest. Stumble across an ancient ruin with cool design but no interesting loot. Get into a sea battle, curse the janky controls and go find something else to do.
No sadly. The combat remains your ordinary hit-dodge-parry loop with occasional throwing out skills to deal more damage, that's it. What you've seen in the first 15-ish hours is what you get for the entire game.

I finished the game at 59 hours mark and I uninstalled it immediately, no looking back. The game simply dragged on way too long, I got tired of getting ambushed by 3+ mercenaries at the same time, and the gameplay loop itself just simply lost its steam once you reach mid point of the story.

No, I'd just stick to the main quests (odyssey first) and leave the side/filler content for after the main quest is done if you still want more.

Codex Year of the Donut
there's a quest "Dagger To The Heart" where if you confront the assassins one of the people you're trying to save always dies. You can just attack the assassins without starting dialogue to save them both.

:incline:

Codex Year of the Donut
the horse autoride feature is actually pretty nice, I get to enjoy looking at the scenery while it rides me to locations
horse is a lot better than it was in AC origins, was barely faster than traveling by foot in that game

Codex Year of the Donut
some random thoughts:

The game could really benefit from non-combat quests. A good example is the wedding quest in Witcher 3's Hearts of Stone expansion. There are a few, and most of them seem to involve Sokrates which may be why he's the most interesting character.
I hope they add alchemy in future installments. Bombs, potions, etc., Didn't origins have bombs? Wonder why they took them out.
The items are interesting, the engraving system is good... honestly, no complaints at all here.
I like that they copied the nemesis system from the mordor games, but they should have aped it entirely with returning(wounded) mercenaries that have a vendetta on you.
The game seems to waffle between wanting to be a history RPG and being an alternate-history -- I'm not really sure what to call it, sort of scifi I guess? -- RPG. They should just pick a theme and stick with it.

Honestly seems like Ubisoft took a look at the more popular games and decided to just copy the stuff that works from them. And it's not bad at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
some random thoughts:

The game could really benefit from non-combat quests. A good example is the wedding quest in Witcher 3's Hearts of Stone expansion. There are a few, and most of them seem to involve Sokrates which may be why he's the most interesting character.
I hope they add alchemy in future installments. Bombs, potions, etc., Didn't origins have bombs? Wonder why they took them out.
The items are interesting, the engraving system is good... honestly, no complaints at all here.
I like that they copied the nemesis system from the mordor games, but they should have aped it entirely with returning(wounded) mercenaries that have a vendetta on you.
The game seems to waffle between wanting to be a history RPG and being an alternate-history -- I'm not really sure what to call it, sort of scifi I guess? -- RPG. They should just pick a theme and stick with it.

Honestly seems like Ubisoft took a look at the more popular games and decided to just copy the stuff that works from them. And it's not bad at all.
forgot to add that whoever wrote alkibiades needs hit with a big stick a few times

jf8350143

Liturgist
If TGA really wants to give the best RPG to a AAA title, this is the game they should choose, not MH:W.

Codex Year of the Donut
They put a lot of effort into some of these quests in digging through history to find obscure references.

e.g., a quest featuring the woman Callipateira who is mentioned once by Pausanias' Description of Greece. Don't think she's mentioned anywhere else? Quick search turned up nothing.

Oracsbox

They put a lot of effort into some of these quests in digging through history to find obscure references.

e.g., a quest featuring the woman Callipateira who is mentioned once by Pausanias' Description of Greece.

Yes but did they do this because of enjoyable research to find interesting things for the player or to look smug ?

Codex Year of the Donut
Greek Heroes armor set(+30% all resistances bonus) is great on nightmare. At higher levels you die in one or two hits in combat without high resists.

Codex Year of the Donut
if you kill the minotaur before going to pephka, a lot of the dialogue/reactions are different

vyHBQXP.jpg

nearly 70 hours played and I think I still have a lot of content left. Might be longer than witcher 3 with both expansions.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
there's a quest "Dagger To The Heart" where if you confront the assassins one of the people you're trying to save always dies. You can just attack the assassins without starting dialogue to save them both.

:incline:
I wish I knew this. Because no matter what I tried the theatre owners died

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom