Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

January update brings She-Ra and My Little Pony crossover DLC.

wWQLWJt.jpg

1tca6oK.jpg

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
The best quests so far are on islands. The questiomarkers are still AIDS with copy pastes. The dialogues are numbing even in the main story, the modern arc is so far so childish and the main protagonist of this game and Origins tries to be cool but turns out to be that kid in high school who was bullied and tries to show how fancy they are now after years. The combat gets annoying / boring, the stealth is too because you have to patiently wait and methodically kill everyone, the emergent gameplay is non-existent. Also what is bad are skills locked behind story-progression but part of the story is to explore the world and hunt cultists so it mitigates this annoyance. The best builds so far are poison and fire based but poison is better because you can't get affected by your own splash attacks.

It's average, but it does surprise from time to time with choices and consequences. Characters will often mention that you were detected or killed someone, some quests like mentioned before can be solved in third obscured way like killing bandits before you talk to them to choose which hostage you want spared. You often can turn in quests before you accept them because you cleared nearby location. It also borrows stuff from Witcher 3 by showing you how bad things turn out even when you try to save innocent and be just. Sokrates is dumb with his reasoning and you can't do much about your character who is mass-murderer and is often questioned about that. Like he suggests you to free some deranged maniac and gets to walk free after that crook appears later to kill innocents.

What makes it worthy to buy is the free drip-fed content like improved scaling, ability to change look of your gear while keeping its' stats, etc. Ubi should release a demo with Kefalonia only, it is for about 5 hours and really small portion of the game but apart from naval part it shows everything it has.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Far be it from me to complain about post-launch content, especially the free variety, but is there seriously any point in buying these games at launch then? More so than other games out there it seems that ever since Origins waiting and going for Gold version really is the only way.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm having a good time with this time. It had me and my brothers playing it through this christmas. I have some issues with it, like the way it handles the levels of the enemies (Same shit system that The witcher 3 were you have stats reduction against enemies 5 levels above you), some nitpicking about the narrative and the atmosphere of the game... but is good. I really like reading those stone tablets offering you riddles that guides you to treasures.
The levelling and scaling here is significantly worse than in Witcher 3 even.
You can turn off scaling with the latest patch.

typical user

Arbiter
Far be it from me to complain about post-launch content, especially the free variety, but is there seriously any point in buying these games at launch then? More so than other games out there it seems that ever since Origins waiting and going for Gold version really is the only way.

Well if you have money to blow on triple A game then I tell you it is worthy to pick up. On the other hand if you have stuff to play then it's best to wait. It's strange but I generally like current Ubisoft business model. They make players return to their games to play for a day or two if they finished it plus it can bump up sales. But yeah waiting for the price to drop is good choice here. The Division is very often on sale and Gold Edition often drops price to 20 EUR or something. Rainbow Six: Siege is different, they have huge playerbase so the price is still high. Same thing can be said about GTA V which kept same release price and didn't appear on Steam Sales for 4 years and it still sold quite well and is still popular on Steam charts.

Paul_cz

Arcane
45 hours in, I still think this game (and Ubi games in general) go too much for quantity over quality. They could have included half the landmass or even less and flesh it much more with unique stuff and it would result in better game. Right now this is fun equivalent of junkfood compared to RDR2 or TW3's finely crafted medium rare steak :)

But, for the first RPG by Ubisoft ever, it ain't terrible. It is fun. Low quality fun, but fun. I still like Kassandra.

You can turn off scaling with the latest patch.
All they did was make upscaling separate from combat difficulty setting because it was previously broken. The easier difficulty settings would eventually become the hardest as their reduced upscaling also meant you earned several times less XP and ended up severely underleveled compared to those playing on harder difficulties.

Your high level demigod can still quickly get dispatched by a wild pig 5 levels above his own. If you pick up a weapon at a low level it will always have shittier stats than if you picked it up at a high level, even after you pay a smith an absurd amount of money to upgrade it to your level later on.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I played the game for a little while, seems fun. It is a great evolution for the Creed series, Ubisoft obviously is trying to copy the Witcher 3 formula, they have a long way to go but still, it is nice getting a new AAA RPG from a major studio.

A few observations from a native Greek person though:

1) The voice acting sucks. The Greek voice actors pronounce a lot of greek words WRONG, as if those were pronounced by english speaking actors, it BOGGLES MY FUCKING MIND. It is especially strange since these are indeed native speaking Greeks, and i have to ask, WTF were they thinking? For example Phoebe is not pronounced like Kassandra voice actress pronounces it... This is how an english speaking person would pronounce it. The name is pronounced FEE-vee. The greek beta is pronounced with a vi. Obviouly english speaking peoples took the name and use it as a Phoebe or Phebes or whatever, but the greek original is with a v sounding letter. Another example is drachmae, don't get me started on how they pronounce it... The voice acting is full of badly pronounced greek words. Essentially, they hired Greek voice actors to speak english and pronounced greek words with an english/latin pronunctuation. Why even bother?

2) The ruined buildings... For the love of GOD, are the level designers of Ubisoft completely retarded? I mean, do they have an IQ over 80? There are 2 main, serious issues with the buildings:

a) Back in 430bc, they were NOT ruined! For fuck sake! The acropolis and Parthenon and all other buildings were NOT RUINS, you idiots! They became ruins after 2.500 years... Yes when you visit them TODAY, they look like this, but back THEN, they were normal buildings... Haven't those idiots at Ubisoft ever watched a representation of how those greek ruins looked like in 500bc? My GOD! I see ruined buildings being used by contemporary people and i am in shock. They never thought that this is looking retarded? It is amazing to me because in previous Creed games the designers got the architectures right, but for some reason for the greek-based Creed they went full-retard.

b) People seem to think that those marbles and ruins were all white, because that is what they look like today, but back then, they were COLORED! It is just that the ruins are so fucking old, that the colors have washed away! Playing Creed is like playing in all-white buildings all the time, yet those buildings didn't look that way 2500 years ago.... THEY WERE COLORED, idiots at Ubisoft... COLORED! New scientific techniques were able to pinpoint the colors even...

All in all, i wanted to enjoy this game as a way to revisit the past of my peoples and feel like i am visiting familiar places in the past, only to realise this is like a couple of english speaking people came to Athens, put on some ancient looking clothes and are LARPing on the Acropolis... LOL.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
All those bullshit about "build your own odyessy, make your choices ","we won't force you into a relationship you don't like", and they force the female protagnist to have a kid with a male NPC she just met for several days.

Bloody hell Ubisoft, I thought you were finally becoming better.

Loostreaks

Learned
All those bullshit about "build your own odyessy, make your choices ","we won't force you into a relationship you don't like", and they force the female protagnist to have a kid with a male NPC she just met for several days.

Bloody hell Ubisoft, I thought you were finally becoming better.

You'll make a good mother.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
here is the video of the ending of the second part of the DLC, spoiler alert(the title alone is a spoiler) if you give a shit.

Holy shit wow this is fucking pathetic. Apparently mother, Deimos, literally nobody acknowledged this, and you can't choose to avoid hooking up with wimp. So much for building your own Odyssey.
Switch that guy with Brasidas and I might reconsider reinstalling this shit.
giphy.gif

Simple Simon

Scholar
The daughter you hook up with as Alexios, Neema, is quite attractive.

Not to sound sexist but in my opinion this is one of those situations where it makes a lot more sense for your protagonist to be male. As a woman living thousands of years ago, I don't see how you can still be an adventurer after you start a family. I saw an article quoting people saying the DLC is sexist and homophobic :roll:. Can't please anyone and/or everyone I suppose.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/01/15/as...cy-first-blade-part-2-ignores-gay-characters/
"In the new DLC, you are forced to have a baby with another character, unlocking the Achievement ‘Growing Up’. Not only does this suggest having a child is the default state of an adult – some end goal to aspire to – it also undermines anyone who has thus far roleplayed as a gay character. According to one redditor, they refused the character’s advances and sent them on their way, but they still ended up having a child."

"The issue is, it just doesn’t gel with the big deal Ubisoft made when marketing the game, saying we could shape our hero, even down to their sexual orientation. In the words of VG247’s Lauren Aitken, it comes across as “sexist garbage”. It also doesn’t make much sense, since you can start the DLC during the main quest. This means Kassandra takes a year out of her cultist-killing revenge spree to have a tiny person. If you have finished the game, you become the immortal guardian of Atlantis, so it still makes no sense to be settling down with a screaming infant."

vonAchdorf

Arcane
For the most part in human history, "gay" (which is the wrong term anyway) people used to have kids, because having kids was indeed the "default state of an adult".

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
dudes who play as girls having sex with men is gay/isn't gay enough ..? I'm so confused.

**edit** how much you wanna bet that "lesbian" reddit poster is a tranny?
At this point does it matter. She apparently only played the game for female empowerment, and is now btching cause that was taken away from her.

Hellion

Arcane
Just noticed this bit and felt obliged to answer despite his ragequiting the Codex:

a) Back in 430bc, they were NOT ruined! For fuck sake! The acropolis and Parthenon and all other buildings were NOT RUINS, you idiots! They became ruins after 2.500 years... Yes when you visit them TODAY, they look like this, but back THEN, they were normal buildings... Haven't those idiots at Ubisoft ever watched a representation of how those greek ruins looked like in 500bc? My GOD! I see ruined buildings being used by contemporary people and i am in shock. They never thought that this is looking retarded? It is amazing to me because in previous Creed games the designers got the architectures right, but for some reason for the greek-based Creed they went full-retard.

b) People seem to think that those marbles and ruins were all white, because that is what they look like today, but back then, they were COLORED! It is just that the ruins are so fucking old, that the colors have washed away! Playing Creed is like playing in all-white buildings all the time, yet those buildings didn't look that way 2500 years ago.... THEY WERE COLORED, idiots at Ubisoft... COLORED! New scientific techniques were able to pinpoint the colors even...

A) The Acropolis looks mighty fine in the game, what "ruins" are you refering to?

acropolis-sunrise-1024x576.jpg

Every other temple that is indeed "ruined" has a valid explanation for being so, e.g. having just been burned or left destroyed after the Persian Wars and not yet rebuilt. Then there's also Mycenian-Minoan ruined buildings, which are already more than 1000 years old at the time the game takes place so their ruined status makes sense.

B) The sculptures etc were indeed painted with vibrant colours, but we haven't found any traces of color on the columns themselves so they were probably white. The portrayal in-game is rather accurate, excluding the metopes and other sculptures on the temples themselves which appear to be made of bronze in-game (probably because Ubisoft's artists were too bored to color them).

I actually started writing a series of articles last week in which I compare the temples' and sites' portrayal in-game with my archaeology textbooks and other written sources (like "Periigisis" by the historian Pausanias, who visited Greece in the Roman period and recorded his travels) to see how historically accurate after all what we see in Odyssey is. I've only done part 1 of... probably many (and in Greek, no less), but so far the portrayal looks pretty accurate for the most part. I'll probably translate it into English and upload it to Academia or something when I'm finished.

You may resume talking about that reddit tranny now.

The sculptures etc were indeed painted with vibrant colours

Some stuff you might find interesting.

These reconstructions look odd to us because they lack shading, subtle variations in color, variations in the boldness of a particular hue, and other important visual elements that we know quite well Classical painters utilized. We get a similar effect when trying to reconstruct wall paintings like those at the Villa of Agrippa Postumus, various paintings at Pompeii, and at the catacombs. We know that these paintings were elegantly shaded and painted with a great deal of skill (and some sculpture, like the Alexander Sarcophagus, appears still to preserve elements of this shading), intended to preserve lifelike qualities as much as possible, but these subtle features do not come out in reconstructions. I remember seeing a reconstruction of parts of one of the colonnades of the Villa of Agrippa Postumus standing next to parts of the colonnade that have been preserved--the difference is quite startling. In the case of statuary we're also missing important elements like the sheen of certain colors (Pliny mentions metallics, for example), the effect of encaustic on pigment, and things like polished beeswax which could be used to make skin more realistic. Indeed, with regards to skin I have yet to see a reconstruction that doesn't just color skin entirely, as if it were just another area that was painted like clothing--skin was generally done by tinting the wax used for encaustic, rather than applying a full color, so that the natural qualities of the marble could act as the base for the effect. Skin tends to preserve poorly--while the Acropolis Korai preserve the pigment of their hair and clothing rather well very few of them show any significant remaining pigment on areas of exposed skin. The New Pauly also notes that with some pigments chemical reactions have altered the colors, a problem we get on some wall paintings too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori...e_busks_of_roman_emperors_have_blank/dh8z6ks/

I mentioned this not long ago, but these garish reconstructions look that way because they're taking the chemical readings of the pigment and applying an averaged color over the entire surface. We know from our texts that this was almost certainly not how pigment was applied to statuary. Skin, for example, was usually applied by lightly tinting the wax used for encaustic, allowing the marble to show through. It would also be highly polished to look more lifelike, but neither of these qualities is present in most of our reconstructions--instead, since we pick up traces of pigment on bared areas the color is applied to the entire area as a solid color, because we don't know precisely how it would have appeared. Wall paintings, which are generally better preserved and which were often painted by precisely the same artists that applied encaustic to statuary, show great attention to shading and subtle variations in color to create realistic and lifelike qualities. These reconstructions tell us, broadly speaking at least, the colors of the pigments applied, but they don't tell us very much else

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori...the_now_bare_white_marble_statues_of/dijdr8l/

jf8350143

Liturgist
if they never had children then the entire story would fall apart
video game "journalists" are retards
How will the story fall apart? Lyla just get the DNA for the protagnist's spear, so that's not a issue anymore.

If you mean the story of the DLC, then yes it will fall apart, but that's the problem, the story shouldn't be writen like this from the very beginning.

Simple Simon

Scholar
Here's another article on the "forced" heterosexuality/parenthood. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-a-shocking-twist-which-ignores-player-choice

I found this comment to be sensible: "Ubisoft has a story to tell and it relies on the protagonist having a child. It's not possible to provide full player agency and tell a meaningful and coherent story as everyone will want to do things differently, some things just have to be in order for the story to continue." In my opinion, it is fair to criticize the DLC's storyline as being hackneyed but not fair to compare it to corrective rape.

Codex Year of the Donut
ubisoft brought this onto themselves by courting the woke crowd

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom