Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Asylum (from creator of Scratches)

Repressed Homosexual
Yeah that's why I won't pledge to a single project anymore. Put up or shut up.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Considering that a great deal of Kickstarter projects that I backed haven't been delivered, and the few ones released or available as beta/EA are --to put it mildly-- disappointing, I think I'll refrain of backing new ones too.

Repressed Homosexual
The worst is that he took so much time to make another game about an Internet transexual. What about all the people who are waiting to get what they were promised?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The worst is that he took so much time to make another game about an Internet transexual. What about all the people who are waiting to get what they were promised?
Chill out, really small indie studios with 4-5 people work slower than Obsidian or Inxile. Hell, I don't even know what is going on with Legends of Eisenwald, because they are also taking their time.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
aiee.gif
aiee.gif
aiee.gif

They're scrapping the engine they made for this and redoing everything in Unity cause the characters looked robotic.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is retarded; Scratches was at its best when you weren't seeing any NPC models. The one time you did see one it was lame (and the game's only flaw)

Boleskine

Arcane
Spends 4+ years developing own engine for new game...scraps it for Unity. :negative:

Just kidding. It's surprising but they explained their reasons and plans well enough. If they were stagnating due to limitations of Dagon, and spending a few weeks switching to Unity will accelerate the rest of the development thereafter, then hopefully there won't be too much of a delay.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Spends 4+ years developing own engine for new game...scraps it for Unity. :negative:

Just kidding. It's surprising but they explained their reasons and plans well enough. If they were stagnating due to limitations of Dagon, and spending a few weeks switching to Unity will accelerate the rest of the development thereafter, then hopefully there won't be too much of a delay.
I can't really fault them for the use of Unity opposite to their own engine. Obsidian did the same afterall. But changing the engine in the last moment and redesigning everything in Unity? Fuck that! AoD will come out faster than this.

Angthoron

Arcane
Fuck Unity, good thing that UE and CE are going to a different pricing model, maybe we'll finally get rid of that shit engine in indie/KS games of the future.

Also yeah, great idea to have a sudden engine change now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Update #39
Jul 4 2014

The Blasphemous Return of the Loathsome Dagon

Greetings from the damnable corridors of the Hanwell Mental Institute! I trust you’re all doing jolly well. We’re definitely doing great down here, save for the occasional crawling horror that is so intent on taking away our sanity. There’s so much going on these days that I’ll do my best to keep this update tidy and organized*.

So, the migration to Unity is going smoothly, even better than we thought, and for instance it’s already possible to walk around the asylum. It’s going to take us a few more days to rebuild the complete structure, but we’re almost there. Some beloved features from ye olde Dagon such as the interactive console are back and fully functional. Developers will be happy to hear that we’re continuing to support Lua and current game scripts will work out of the box in Unity. It’s pretty big news for early adopters of the engine, especially for those among you who were attracted to the simplicity and Zen-like nature of the Dagon scripting language. Even better, the engine integrates seamlessly with the Unity editor, so it’s possible to go back and forth between editor and scripting language for full flexibility and power.

Francisco (bless him) took over the entire engine and has been reworking every aspect of it. Oh, if you could only listen to our daily existential discussions about game design and programming… Dagon remains perfectly tailored for first person adventures but its inner workings have been redesigned with third person in mind and the ability to be extended in countless of ways, so it will be deceptively easy to write plugins or add new functionality. We’re big fans of JSON — every object that exists in the game (be it a node, room, hotspot, etc.) has its counterpart as a JSON data model. It’s completely seamless to create an object via script, tweak it with the editor, save its data to JSON, and even reload that data via scripting again. This might sound like mumbo-jumbo to most of you but I trust developers will be salivating at the possibilities. Saving and loading (a ghastly, evil aspect of game development) is essentially working and, because it was designed in an extremely modular way, we expect that Dagon will support loading saves among different versions of the game. That’s the beauty of JSON. Back in the days, a simple patch for Scratches would ruin all your saves. Ah… good memories.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Update #41 - For backers only

Jul 25 2014

Speaking About The Unspeakable. Confused.

First, Asylumesque news: the alpha of the game is well under way and I can confirm that we’ll be showing it next month at Gamescom. This year we’re going to be sharing a booth with other developers from Argentina, so we’re anticipating loads of exposure. Certainly, I’ll make sure to organize a special presentation for all backers attending the event. I expect to send this alpha version of Asylum to VIP backers early in September with further improvements; our plan is to include the entire building with some basic gameplay mechanics, which will be worth many hours of fun exploring the intricate layout and shadowy corners of the Hanwell Mental Institute.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno why but I was able to get the steam activation for this on my humblebundle page and I can play it right now. :eek:

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron

There is supposed to be a demo for VIP backers next week, I guess they had an accident. I don't think my 15$ pledge makes me a VIP, and the game is kinda rough even for a demo.

I won't be playing it any more until they put in an option screen that lets me turn off motion blur.
images

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
Dunno why but I was able to get the steam activation for this on my humblebundle page and I can play it right now. :eek:
For reals? Let me check then.

Edit: LOLz, currently installing. Lets see if is the real deal or just a demo.

A user named cat

Sorry for random necro but I just remembered this game a year later and checked their forums. Developer still has no release date in sight, just hopeful for 2016. :lol: Way to go, Unity. This should've been released 2 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom