Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Atheism in Dragon Age: Origins

Angthoron

Arcane
AdmiralHugbunny said:
I disagree. The entity that some people in real life refer to as "God", according to common belief, actually does interact with our world and more specifically, with the people living in it. People believe that he directs the forces of nature and physics in their benefit or otherwise. People believe that he will pass judgement on them when they die and send them to heaven or hell based on that judgement. Essentially, people believe in god because it concerns their well-being directly. Otherwise, they wouldn't be interested in religion and religion would not have such influence over people.

While I have not delved into DA lore either, I want to point out that if the "Maker" entity in DA is indeed as you describe, it is not equivalent to god. However, I agree with the conclusion that "believing" in this "Maker" is inconsequential.

Good point there. While the Maker is so memorable that I'm not exactly sure of his actual attributes either, I'd venture to say that he's portrayed a bit like the Old Testament god, huge retribution for mankind's pride included with the fall of the Golden City and the beginning of the Blight. This does point toward the whole well-being bit being spot-on. Additionally, I recall that the Maker also has something to do with the afterlife aspects, so it's not like he's a god that's completely removed from the stuff going on in the world.

On top of that, you have Andraste's ashes, which are like totally Of Restoration, and Andraste's painless death in the fire (and respawning later for a moment), which would be going to the department of miracle works and further allusions to Christianity. (In fact I remember being horrendously irritated by it, what's the point of ripping off a religion when you can make your own from a scratch?)

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
In general, Bioware's overflowing originality is extended to their design of religions. They're just reiterating what they're already familiar with (and being American they're most likely intimately familiar with Christianity), like they do with every other aspect of their games.

Furthermore, I like the :rpg: emote.

Angthoron

Arcane
For BioWare, RPGs are about riding a blue alien chick and shooting stuff with an :rpg:

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Well, if fantasy is a knight on horseback killing things, and postapocalyptic settings are about Liam Neeson, I can certainly imagine BioWare suits thinking this about RPGs. That, and "not enough phallic imagery".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They're just reiterating what they're already familiar with (and being American"

Bigoted and ignorant. Typical.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Volourn said:
"They're just reiterating what they're already familiar with (and being American"

Bigoted and ignorant. Typical.

Your post makes it sound like you stopped reading once you read that I said something about Americans.

Sure, it was a gross generalization which probably isn't correct to make, but do you disagree with the statement that Americans are generally more familiar with Christianity than people of other nationalities? Or do you disagree with my statement that BioWare is a bunch of unimaginative popamole makers?

Angthoron

Arcane
Don't worry, Codex wouldn't be itself without sweeping over-generalizations and Volourn.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Angthoron said:
Don't worry, Codex wouldn't be itself without sweeping over-generalizations and Volourn.

So I'm safe telling that I'm a tranny whore jew who lives in Lithuania and works as a hitman on the side?

Angthoron

Arcane
AdmiralHugbunny said:
So I'm safe telling that I'm a tranny whore jew who lives in Lithuania and works as a hitman on the side?

That might get you too many stalkers :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Sure, it was a gross generalization which probably isn't correct to make, but do you disagree with the statement that Americans are generally more familiar with Christianity than people of other nationalities? Or do you disagree with my statement that BioWare is a bunch of unimaginative popamole makers?"

Or how about the fact that in your ignorance that while you bashed Amerikansyou then made the connection that BIO is Amerikan when they are, in fact, not. Idiot.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Volourn said:
"Sure, it was a gross generalization which probably isn't correct to make, but do you disagree with the statement that Americans are generally more familiar with Christianity than people of other nationalities? Or do you disagree with my statement that BioWare is a bunch of unimaginative popamole makers?"

Or how about the fact that in your ignorance that while you bashed Amerikansyou then made the connection that BIO is Amerikan when they are, in fact, not. Idiot.

My bad. They're based in Canada, but have been assimilated into EA. So there's definitely American influence there.

You're right though. For some reason I was sure they were based in Amerikwa.

Volourn said:

What did he say that was bashing Americans? All I see is that he said Americans are more likely to be familiar with Christianity than other religions - which is statistically correct, it's the most common religion in America.

I mean, I like your implied suggestion that saying someone is familiar with christianity is an insult, but you're being a bit harsh, don't you think? Why should familiarity with a country's most common religion be a bad thing? Even if you dislike the religion, it's still best to be familiar with it so you know what you're dealing with.

I mean, are you saying that they AREN'T familiar with christianity? Despite it being their most popular religion? Gee, they'd have to be pretty thick, wouldn't they - I mean, if a religion was as widely held as christianity is in the US, you'd have to be pretty thick to live your whole life in the US and NOT be familiar with it, wouldn't you? Are you calling Americans stupid, Volourn?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Why's Volly touchy about Amurrikwan bashing, anyway? Weird. You say something not-nice about those uncultured fuckers and he just bursts into a BIGOT BIGOT BIGOT chat.

Speaking of which, how about agnosticism in MOTB? Yes? Bueller? Is it still faith if you know your deity exists? How about Gann's attitude to it all and the Wall of the Faithless?

MOTB's so much more worthwhile to DISCUSS!!

Angthoron

Arcane
I also like the automatic assumption that America is only the United States, while even the northern continent contains a tiny bit more than that - surprisingly, an area that also happens to be predominantly Christian.

But how about we go further - what's the dominant religion of the equatorial and Southern America? Why, what's that? Christianity? Oh my, what a surprise.

Now connect these two:

1) You live in an area where you're almost guaranteed to be some type of Christian
2) You make a game that heavily alludes to the Testaments

That means what? That's right, that you're heavily affected by Christianity - which is as surprising and insulting as saying that an Arab is heavily influenced by Islam. It's a part of culture, deal with it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lesifoere said:
MOTB's so much more worthwhile to DISCUSS!!
I tried. But I admit Volly's continued denial over the geographical location of Canada is more interesting.
Now Volly, lest try this again:
What continent do you live on?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
North Amerika does NOT equal Amerika. Idiots.

Kanada is a country on the North Amerikan continent as is Amerika.

Don't be idiots. Know your fuckin' map. Also learn the difference between country and continent. FFS

denizsi

Arcane
There were several points in the game after the origins part where you had the option to say you were an unbeliever and could even argue with one or two characters about its validity. With Leliana and maybe one or two more.

CrimHead

Scholar
In this universe, there is certainly no reason to believe in a god. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever (excluding our simple existence) to suggest it. However, the idea of a god in many fantasy universes (such as Dragon Age) actually makes sense. And sometimes it is even an unavoidable fact (ie. the forgotten realms, where Gods actually interact with the citizens). In Dragon Age it fits into the world, as supernatural phenomenon, for which the only explanation is Divine intervention, occur regularly. Evidence is everywhere.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
CrimHead said:
In this universe, there is certainly no reason to believe in a god. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever (excluding our simple existence) to suggest it. However, the idea of a god in many fantasy universes (such as Dragon Age) actually makes sense. And sometimes it is even an unavoidable fact (ie. the forgotten realms, where Gods actually interact with the citizens). In Dragon Age it fits into the world, as supernatural phenomenon, for which the only explanation is Divine intervention, occur regularly. Evidence is everywhere.

But these supernatural phenomenon, are not explained by divine intervention. But by.... well........... nothing really. Sometimes spirits are responsible, sometimes it just works. They never tied it to the maker though, because as the chantry says the maker is oposed to magic (see fall of the golden city / birth of the darkspawn).

So the maker is not the source of magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom