Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ATLAS - sandbox pirate MMO

A sandbox MMO from the creators of Ark Evolved, going Early Access next week:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/

Here's a preview: https://www.pcgamer.com/atlas-mmo/

No idea how it will turn out, but some good ideas in there. Sounds like they are going for a Pirate version of Eve Online, with survival mechanics and more interesting gameplay.

Collect resources, build ships (all the way up to massive galleons), man them with other players or NPCs, and fight other players or monsters. You can take over territory, set tax rates, climb, and a bunch of other stuff.

I never got into Sea of Thieves, as it seemed extremely shallow and cartoonish from the beginning, but this looks a lot more serious. With things like territory control, taxation systems, survival mechanics, hireable NPCs, and so on, I feel like it's far more in deep MMO territory. As someone who loved Eve Online's metagame (the politics, economics, backstabbing, etc), but hated its base gameplay, I am very interested in how this game turns out.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never got into Sea of Thieves, as it seemed extremely shallow and cartoonish from the beginning, but this looks a lot more serious.
I know you probably mean in terms of game depth but just an FYI

ss_5893afdf8bd9bfd56bfb1ccfc2851ef3a9d2afc9.jpg

This is a pirate game with dragons.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can be duck pirate in DragonFire: Well of Souls
if you find it, that's it

Yeah, yeah, I know. They couldn't just do a regular pirate game, that would've been too unretarded. But, still, you can only work with what you have.

ADL

Prophet
Sea of Thieves in "potentially doesn't suck"?
Just letting you know Sea of Thieves is a lot better now. If you haven't checked it out, they've added a shitload of expansions that significantly improved it.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I barely know anything about this game, but I already heard that they delayed it like three times in one week.

Great sign of things to come. :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, looks like they are going to delay again today.

Seems pretty stupid. Why start off on such a bad note (people hate delays!!!), when they could've just announced it months from now? There was no pressure on them...

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Yeah, looks like they are going to delay again today.

Seems pretty stupid. Why start off on such a bad note (people hate delays!!!), when they could've just announced it months from now? There was no pressure on them...

I can tell you why.

Because somebody in that studio thought that releasing during the winter sale and around christmas would increase sales.

ADL

Prophet
I long for the ages past, when games released once they were complete.
Sure, but I also remember what it was like when the major publishers were chasing the WoW killer pipe dream for over a decade. At least this is moderately interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom