Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ATOM RPG: Trudograd standalone expansion revealed, coming to Early Access on May 11th

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bro...but bro...bro! When is ATOM 2 coming out?!?
If it'd be up to me alone, I'd make it a surprise comeback. I'd make the team do racing games and tetris clones for 5 years, so everyone forgets about us and then I'll preview Atom RPG 2, a next generation crpg with astonishing water physics and smellovision!!! It won't happen like this in real life, but I'm almost 90% sure we really will release an RPG that won't be related to Atom between Trudograd and Atom 2. After Trudograd, there's gonna be something completely different. Almost sure!!
That is the correct approach; bank on creativity and the good will of ATOM players to support the studio itself not a console like sequelits that has been proven completely prone to big failures

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
It would be better overall if the import only takes world state and not character levels/items. Maybe give a minor but unique item, that's it. How will you balance the game for both imported and new characters? The difference, even disregarding levels, is huge. I don't understand why importing everything needs to be in. The negatives far outweigh the positives.
I think we're kinda forced to port levels, because some players who grinded just to be stronger in Trudograd are known to us, and they're gonna kill us to death. But otherwise I totally agree. Items of value and world states are the main priority. But also levels. There are a few ways we balance the game for new and transferred players alike, the main thing being that new characters start on level 15, not level 1, because even if you're making a new character, this character is supposed to be the cadet from the first game, now a major of Atom. Not at all a level 1 character. And level 15 is also the level 80% of players finished Atom RPG, according to inaccurate and biased polls we did. And if that fails, there are some other methods for balancing stuff out, but we're still playing with that.

Mechanically, there will be an option to transfer characters from Atom RPG saves made after beating final boss.

Hmm, I didn't save after beating the final boss. Could always just do that one part again. But I probably just want to try a new character anyway. Does gear transfer over from the previous game? If so, will new characters be provided decent gear?

Also, I just noticed Steam says I've spent 95 hours playing your game. That includes hours of idle time where I was doing something else. But still, I would have guessed it was less than half that. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun.
Half of it is probably due to the tedious pre-update travel speed, but still, it seems like you enjoyed it for more than 50 hours of it! Thank you! I hope Trudograd will be to your enjoyment too. Your gear though (apart from certain items, probably, but we'll only decide on this after much testing) will not be there, however, you will gain pretty cool weapons at the start, totally dependent on your largest weapon skill (like, if you were an automatics guy, you get an AK), and since Trudograd won't be as big as Atom, new gear procurement won't take long, or be defined by random as much.
I'm sure this will be as awesome as the base game, though when I read the title I honestly thought it was Turdograd
Yes, now even I read it like that some time. How awkward! That's okay though.
Here, some new stink to remove the old:

I read it as Trudeau grade. All looks, no substance.

Welcome to Trudeau Grad, the Canadian blackface college simulator!

Hey can someone answer a question for me about Atom, I'm on the fence about buying it. Are there sci-fi elements like mutants, AI robots and ghouls? I think I need that in my post-apoc games, I don't think I could bear grim Russian realism in that sort of setting.
There is an AI with robots in a certain plot related area, tons of mutants and the main plot is pure sci-fi after a few quests, however there's a lot of grim post-Soviet realism too. Especially in side quests. There are beets and pieces of questionable root vegetable style humor to wash off the grimness with though!

jackofshadows

Magister
I think we're kinda forced to port levels, because some players who grinded just to be stronger in Trudograd are known to us, and they're gonna kill us to death. But otherwise I totally agree. Items of value and world states are the main priority. But also levels. There are a few ways we balance the game for new and transferred players alike, the main thing being that new characters start on level 15, not level 1, because even if you're making a new character, this character is supposed to be the cadet from the first game, now a major of Atom. Not at all a level 1 character. And level 15 is also the level 80% of players finished Atom RPG, according to inaccurate and biased polls we did. And if that fails, there are some other methods for balancing stuff out, but we're still playing with that.
It's their problem entirely even if you'd not implement import at all. Just because some retards don't know any better than circling map aroung in a single player game for a fucking days shouldn't blur your creative vision. Having said that, 15 start level seems reasonable.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
It's their problem entirely even if you'd not implement import at all. Just because some retards don't know any better than circling map aroung in a single player game for a fucking days shouldn't blur your creative vision. Having said that, 15 start level seems reasonable.
I think some of our players grinded because it was nearly impossible to get all the perks you wanted with just doing quests, at least on early to mid iterations of the game. Thus, 50+++ lvl grind boys are our fault, and we have to do something. We won't be able to make it completely balanced for their kind, nor will we try to do that too much, since that's gonna ruin the game for everyone else, but we must at least try to purge our sin of making perks too hard to get!
ATOM RPG: Trudograd standalone expansion re...

OH MY GOD!

ATOM RPG: Trudograd standalone expansion revealed, releasing on Early Access on May 11th

Oh...
Yeahhh there's still a long road ahead. But I really, reaaaalllllly really hope you'll have the time for a review or assessment when it's finally done! That last one was one of a kind for us. Mostly every other press review ignored the side of the game you highlighted!!! The KINO side!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I do understand the need for EA , so while it kinda disappoints, it's better than releasing broken games that have massive potential like insomnia the ark, or early version of titan outpost.

Deleted Member 22431

Atomboy, you should hire somebody among the experienced players here to help you improve the combat.

flushfire

Augur
Items of value and world states are the main priority. But also levels. There are a few ways we balance the game for new and transferred players alike, the main thing being that new characters start on level 15, not level 1, because even if you're making a new character, this character is supposed to be the cadet from the first game, now a major of Atom.
Frankly level is minor compared to the bonuses that can be gained from the main game:
• up to +5 stats
• up to 140 or so skill points from dialogue
• up to 82 or 164 skill points from books
• a distinction that gives DR

The skill points alone are worth 15 levels at least, 20 if the respec is used. 5 more stat points means double what a new character gets on creation. Those differences are big enough that achieving a good balance between an imported char and a new one, even with equal exp, is IMO a pipe dream and I'm not even taking items into account.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom