Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Sure, level-scaling is bad but I expected some locational scaling to at least SOME degree. Does hitting F5 every three travel-dots equal fun? Because I'll be fucked if the 7 or more dudes coming at me every time I fail a speech check to avoid combat is doable. I keep thinking "At some point I'll encounter only 3 or 4 dudes, right?" Nope.

EDIT: Sidenote, I feel like Underrail is the only cRPG that ever solved the question "How do you make melee/unarmed viable?"

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    :nocountryforshitposters:

^ Top  
  3. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Two times as of today! But I never solo won the game with it. That's why I called it a backup skill. In fights, you make use of your ally rifles and run around cutting people down with your dog and the chainsaw, backing them up (and trying not to get shot by them). The closest thing to solo melee walkthrough I got was pistols\melee. But I don't mean backup like "worse than the rest". It shouldn't be. Hence my two ideas of making two early abilities in the tree better by adding shield DT and bonus melee damage when under 50% health. It's too late for things like "get rid of the tree" or "make less skills" or "make skills buyable without tree structure". We're stuck with this thing and we need to make it a bit better to allow solo melee \ fist runs.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Where exactly are you walking, though? The big region between KRZ, Otradnoye and the Factory has like 5% of meeting stronger foes on early levels. It should be like a one in a game event for a low level character. Now if you were in the castle area, or the bandit outpost area, that'd be explainable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. krilcebre Educated

krilcebre
    I still think all shields should be 100% absorption with block chance being the stat that would make them differ from each other. I don't know how your source code looks like, so I have no clue if it's even possible, but it should be tied with some attribute too like I mentioned earlier, and increased block chance when adjusted to npc. That 50% more damage I don't like, since if you are below 50% and you attack, you will pretty much be dead next turn unless you have stimulants equipped. If you don't and you heal from inventory, you just nullified the bonus trait.

^ Top  
  6. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Literally everywhere I walk between Otradnoye and KRZ through End of the Line has had random encounters that all but dispose of me before I even have a chance to take a turn. And if I do get a turn Fidel and I are already so mangled that we don't stand a chance to take out all 7 (why is it always 7?!) bad guys. Meanwhile, the anti-intellectual book bandits fell like flies with almost no effort. I'm just not seeing a very capably-designed system of balance here, duder.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. redsky Literate

redsky
    I guess you are bad at these type of games. I started on expert (blind) and i am close to finish the game. Read a bit whats important to get first turn in fight. Atomboy, you can make even harder last level in DLC. Thanks for great game.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    a second pass on ranged weapons wouldnt be bad to make them more distinct,for example the light machine are superior in every way to standard assault rifles,why would you bother with 3 bullet bursts when you can kill everything with either 6 or 15 bullet bursts?you should make the LMGS less accurate in distance,more so if you dont have the strenght to use them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    I don't think that this case has the problem of being bad at the game, it's just freaking weird. Just made a new character using the Steam version of the game. Levelled up to 5 to have an even bigger chance of meeting high level enemies. Only meet 3-5 cultists \ melee bandits \ drunken peasants with clubs, got one 1 vs 5 encounter with 2 guys shooting pointless 1-tier shootas that miss me. Now near the end of the line I do get an occasional huge spider couple or slavers, it's supposed to have high % of that. But not elsewhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Yeah, fuckwit. That's how I've managed to enjoy every cRPG I've played since I bought Fallout back in 1996.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Seriously man, it's a real mystery. I just don't get top tier bandits anywhere apart from End of the Line sometimes. We'll recheck the placement after we get a bit of time

^ Top  
  12. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    The learning curve in ATOM RPG is more steep though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    My main complaint is that a Level 3 character shouldn't run into 7 guys who annihilate you before you even have a turn. And a well-balanced game shouldn't force you to min/max a character or choose traits with drawbacks as the only solution against this. Other than all this, I'm still progressing through the game just fine and I still love it. Like I said, I take nothing back from my glowing Steam review I posted the other day...I just refuse to sit here and act like "git gud" is a reasonable response to my complaint.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    No, he should be able to kill a whole gang by himself like in FO2!

Joke.

Struggling to survive is exactly what should happen with a level 3 character. It's a shame that by the time you hit level 10, the challenge disappears, but what can you do. It's a sandbox game.

Well-balanced my ass. What you want is to feel almight and powerful right from the beginning because you have been pampered by developers for decades. Grow up.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Being level 3 and encountering, about an inch from the first map location, 7 dudes who kill you before you have a single turn is not "struggling to survive".

Yes. This is why I helped Vince with Age of Decadence and gave pages of feedback to Underrail over the years. Because difficult games make me sad. You bottom-feeding piece of ignorant shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    git gud

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. redsky Literate

redsky
    Try to play Xenonaouts ( x division mod) and Long war mod for xcom 1 or 2 for at least 2000 - 3000 hours. Then return to Atom or any other turn based combat game and tell people git gud.

Ok you died few times, so what? Like Politician said, its much easier when you hit level 10. Game is great, i wish they add more challenge later in the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. redsky Literate

redsky
    You dont have to min / max character in this game. I never min/ max in any game, hate that.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Risewild Savant

Risewild
    Fallout was released in 1997...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    RELEASE
    THE
    PATCH

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bester Arcane Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Is there sex in atom? If you play as a chick, can you put out in exchange for favors from filthy men?

Does intelligence affect dialogue options?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. FritzedProcess Savant

FritzedProcess
    I don't see why do you find this game so difficult. I beat it in normal on the first try, no minmaxing (ok, maybe I dumped Luck down to 3). I played it exactly like I played Fallout back then: small guns (pistols here) and melee as a crutch before upgrading to automatics after mid-game, when ammo is more plentiful. All of the followers equipped with rifles, except the dog.

Ok, I always soloed Fallout, but you don't get power armor in this game. I think you are supposed to run away from hard encounters, unless you encounter a party of slave hunters with big guns, in which case you're hosed if you can't talk your way out of it, because your party starts all bunched up and they'll be shot to ribbons if you don't go first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Show Spoiler
    I fucked the daughter of a farmer, a whore and a preachy self-righteous leader of a cult!

It's a shame that they don't have a casanova achievement for a player who fucks every female in the game.
    And I had only 4 pts in personality. Sometimes you can use STR or INT to get into their pants. LOL

If you play with a woman, you can use this:

Sex Appeal
    +/- 2 Personality based on Gender
    +/- 15 Barter based on Gender

90% of the characters are male, so you will profit a lot.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)