Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mark Richard

Arcane
I'm loving the game. My only gripe so far is that i couldn't take the dog because the owner not only survive, he wreck two of the bandit by himself (normal difficult) and i didn't know that the event was my only chance (i suspected it but it was so weird the way the battle was resolve that i though you could meet them again in a town or something).
Bummer. The owner is less likely to survive on higher difficulties, but even on normal he should get pasted 9 out of 10 times. The dog event is added to the pool of possible random encounters when the Survival skill reaches around 40 points, and as far as I'm aware its a one time thing.

Oh and for anyone who's interested, the dog doesn't count as a full-fledged companion. That is to say, the Lone Wolf distinction which gives bonuses to going solo and debuffs for having a follower, does not count the dog as a follower. As it should be!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
With how the guns are buffed, I doubt the dog is gonna survive for long anyway.
With lowered AP per shot, there are more bullets flying now in this version's combat compared to the previous ones.
And they don't buff the defensive abilities much. HP recovery upon 1/2 and 1/3 loss is OK, but it's under Close Combat tree.

Do I need to equip skill buffing items such as lockpicks or tools to get the bonus, or is it enough to have them in the inventory?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Do I need to equip skill buffing items such as lockpicks or tools to get the bonus, or is it enough to have them in the inventory?
Needs to be equipped in one of the two slots for using items/weapons. If the lockpicks occupy one of the slots, you'll get the bonus no matter which slot is active. Check out your character sheet before and after. The related skill should turn green and raise 20 points for as long as the item is slotted.

RK47

Patron
Other useful stuff to know:

1. Attention boosts your accuracy with ranged weapons.
The higher Attention you have, the less skill is needed to get a good hit chance. At 7, I was getting 60% chance with Makarov (62) while having just 45 Skill.
However, it does not impact melee attacks at all. Even if you are blinded, you still get a normal hit chance. Only DEX affects Melee chance.

2. v1.08 Nagant Pistol is vastly inferior in damage
With Makarov Pistol costing same AP to fire, switch ASAP to avoid wasting AP on poor damage and poor clip size. They both require nearly the same skill to fire.

3. Traders & prices
Trader wallets refresh every 24 hours
If you really want to liquidate your loot, feel free to rest 24 hours and the traders will get a small boost to their cash reserves. Stand in front of them. Rest 12 hours. Eat. Rest again. Repeat.
Not every trader pay the same price for your goods due to their varied Barter skill e.g Gun shop in Krasno pays almost nothing for anything. Better to visit the hospital to off-load unwanted loot.

4. Consumables bonuses stack twice
Drugs/Food that gives +AP, ED, DEX can be stacked twice. Very useful on tough fights.
Mushrooms poison you but have no negative impact on your companion. It gives +DEX yet it cannot be stacked. Always pick them up when you have a party.
You should try eating one sometime, it's good for laughs.

5. Somewhat hidden skill ups and attribute ups
There are three ways to permanently raise your attributes.
  1. Roaring Forest idol - drop 3 cuts of meat as offering on the Idol's Circle for +1 Luck
  2. Roaring Forest caverns - loot a serum from a corpse by a death beast. Do not linger, the area is highly poisonous and the beast has life stealing attacks.
  3. Otradnoye - you need high Luck for this, fish a golden fish and release it. Consume alcohol to boost luck. Prepare for a lot of retries.
There are two ways to lower your attribute
  1. Otradnoye - this is slightly random. A possessed man with his pig will appear. If you have high Intellect you can persuade the demon to possess you instead. +1 STR & -1 PER & INT
    Gives you possessed perk - visit the Satanic Cult in Krasno's sewer for additional content.
  2. Peregon - You need good Personality score to trigger this. Talk to one of the guards in their compound. He will complain about a spider on the window. Offer to kill it. Upon killing the spider, you will lose a point of Luck but gain 2220 EXP.
There are a few skill raising conversations
  1. Peregon +5 Speechcraft - a man in a white shirt will mention a deadly misunderstanding caused by a stranger. Blame the stranger and ask him about the literature he recommends.
  2. Peregon +5 Gun / Survival / Melee / Barter - an experienced old man will sit by the campfire during day time. Ask to be taught and pick one skill you want.
  3. Dan's +5 Automatic - One of the guards who thinks he is gay. You need a good Personality to ask him on how to handle guns.
  4. Krasno +15 Automatic - Gun Store owner. You need Attention and Intelligence. First encounter only.
  5. Krasno +5 Automatic - Gun Store owner. Personality check.
  6. Krasno +5 Pistol - A cowboy hat-wearing girl will wander around during the daytime. Personality check.
Temporary buff
+1 STR & END for 3 days - Get wound treatment at the Krasno hospital for 100 rubles. It stacks twice. Very nice but will not last when you make trips to Dead City / Mountain Pass.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Someone outside of Codex asked for "saved game with 80% of plot done", while I'll try to specify that "80%", that's all I have for now.

RK47

Patron
:lol:

Plot.
A lot of people probably mistook Dan's gang as mandatory story progression.
If I give them a save game where I'm done with Dead City and I'm standing in Mountain Pass Bunker at level 6 and has not visited Dan's Factory would that qualify as 80% done?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I asked and got this - before the "gorge of woes", whatever it is in game, because it's translation from Russian.

RK47

Patron
Well, I asked and got this - before the "gorge of woes", whatever it is in game, because it's translation from Russian.
Gotta be the Mountain Pass of Woe.
Which is the LAST place I'd go to since Dead City is right inside Krasno and way more rewarding in terms of rewards:
- Taiga Machete
- Biggest Backpack
- Stethckin Pistol
- Face Mask +5 Melee damage

Guarded behind... oh... maybe 2 giant rats? :lol:

RK47

Patron
So I hear they buffed shields now.

unknown.png

:lol: It's a shame shields are rare, else this would be a premium gear for companions.
Note there's no distinction between Head/Body. Its' a flat +17 DT. Add in the high end Kevlar armor and you're staring at DT24.

Suddenly the 15AP Melee build with Pistol sidearm looks more OP than ever.

Also, encounters can start like a patrol looking for you instead of a straight up confrontation. Nice. The enemy will patrol the map until you shoot at them or they spot you.

20190330181318_1.jpg

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
unknown.png

:lol: It's a shame shields are rare, else this would be a premium gear for companions.
Note there's no distinction between Head/Body. Its' a flat +17 DT. Add in the high end Kevlar armor and you're staring at DT24.

Suddenly the 15AP Melee build with Pistol sidearm looks more OP than ever.
You can make it I think. It takes backpack slot too which is bad for low str chars. Also how the heck you can make it to 15 AP?

RK47

Patron
You can make it I think. It takes backpack slot too which is bad for low str chars. Also how the heck you can make it to 15 AP?

The Close Combat Perk 'Quick Reactions'
DpuaGgY.jpg

After every turn, you get a free turn worth 50% of your current AP
E.g:
Turn 1 - 10 AP
Free Turn 5 AP
Turn 2 - 10 AP
Free Turn 5 AP
So on.

If you took +2 AP Drugs, you can get 6 AP for the free turn.

Since Shield defense only works when you wield pistol/melee weapons, most would think rifles are out of the question.
Well, that's not entirely accurate: there's no rule saying you can't shoot with rifle first, then switch back to pistol to enjoy the shield DT effect.

This is easily achievable if you have the Quick Reaction perk. Use the free turn to switch to the pistol.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
A few random thoughts:

- The rarest item in the wastes isn't guns or armor, it's glue. I went around the world map twice over, stopping every caravan, upturning every house, and revisiting every shop. It's just gone. I have no glue, and I must scream.

- The green circle indicator reflects in mirrors. So... this isn't strictly a UI feature. The green circle has a physical presence within the world and is visible to every in-game character, all of whom pretend not to notice it or the protagonist chasing it around like a cat with a laser pointer.

- The dog-fighting ring seemed like a new experience, but if memory serves there was one in Baldur's Gate 2. Bioware should bring it back for the new Dragon Age.

Quillon

Arcane
- The rarest item in the wastes isn't guns or armor, it's glue. I went around the world map twice over, stopping every caravan, upturning every house, and revisiting every shop. It's just gone. I have no glue, and I must scream.

First find some chickens then look for the eggs then crack em open and use white of the eggs for your gluing purposes. If any of this isn't in the game, its prolly oversight.

RK47

Patron
You should just steal some glue off the Krasno Chamber of Commerce warehouse.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
One of the sellers at the stalls right in front of the ship in whatwasitcalled-town-with-the-ship stocks glue as well.

Sloul

Savant
The Close Combat Perk 'Quick Reactions'
DpuaGgY.jpg

After every turn, you get a free turn worth 50% of your current AP
E.g:
Turn 1 - 10 AP
Free Turn 5 AP
Turn 2 - 10 AP
Free Turn 5 AP
So on.

If you took +2 AP Drugs, you can get 6 AP for the free turn.

Since Shield defense only works when you wield pistol/melee weapons, most would think rifles are out of the question.
Well, that's not entirely accurate: there's no rule saying you can't shoot with rifle first, then switch back to pistol to enjoy the shield DT effect.

This is easily achievable if you have the Quick Reaction perk. Use the free turn to switch to the pistol.

Just for the sake of saying it. I didn't see anything shocking there. On the contrary, this build looks fun. And whoever enjoy that, is pretty much enjoying the game. Thus, I would say, the game needs to favor this kind of build.
Never nerf something good/funnny, but instead, try to brainstorm some other funny builds (while being mutually exclusive).
And now, people who want to play kewl funny builds have different choices and can favor one or the other depending their taste/playstyle.
As a bonus, add some very (VERY) hard, optional, parts to the game.
Like in Deus Ex, where you can save JC's brother. At release, very few people knew it was possible to do that. The story was telling ''gtf out it's impossible to do that''.
Personnally I favor strong characters/builds/abilities vs hard and very hard encounters, rather than dull stuff vs dull stuff.
I favor AoD style, where you have hard encounters but can make some creative nice looking builds (like a shield/spear praetor), vs Wasteland 2 gameplay where everything is utter shit piling up.

RK47

Patron
Actually when I look at it, it seems like the dev has successfully added in Power Armor into ATOM. In form of a thick piece of iron you carry on your left hand. :lol:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Fini. Doubt I can say anything that hasn't been said a hundred times already. If a game gets a Codex review before your initial playthrough, you know you're truly late to the party. It's great though. I got invested in the internal politics which started out simply enough but often develop another face (the Otryen/Factory questline is like a microcosm of that), and just like in Legends of Eisenwald even the most innocuous rumours tend to bear fruit.

I kinda dig the boss:

It's like a benevolent version of The Master who makes a convincing argument. So there's an asteroid hurtling towards earth and this undeveloped world isn't going to be able to launch Bruce Willis with his space drill in time. ATOM has a wait and see approach, acting as a guide to the wasteland's development rather than taking charge. The boss has a proactive plan to connect everyone in a hive mind and prevent the catastrophe, virtually guaranteeing survival. So triumphing over the boss in any fashion leaves a sword of Damocles hanging in the air. Is individuality precious enough to resign the human race to near-certain extinction? There's no super mutant virility trump card to torpedo the plan. The boss has been thinking about this a lot longer than you.

One way to defeat the boss with speech? Point out it'll have to do the one thing it hates the most to get the job done - commit violence.

Several quests not only have multiple solutions as expected, but also multiple levels of success. Doing a really good job gets a bigger reward. I've heard refusing a monetary reward can net extra experience or unique items instead. 'Heard' being the operative word (I gotsta get paid). The consequences for the completion of some quests was the unexpected part, like the travelling merchants stocking a series of 8 erotic space novels after I brokered a deal between the writer and publisher, or being able to blackmail names on the Barbecue list.

There should be an unlockable distinction for being a tattletale. You can tell on half a dozen people for smoking, drinking, or keeping a secret. In some cases you can give the person the very thing you're going to tell on them for. What an asshole! I love it. :lol:

Suppose I should find something to complain about. Okay so there's like 4 rope uses in the entire game, and 2 of them are on the same map. Rope interactions are like buses, you spend ages waiting and then 2 come along at once.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Hey, gamers! I don't usually do that "look at what we've been up to, dear target demographic" marketing stuff, but we love this loading screen art so much, we're plugging it everywhere.

D3Uw-9wX4AEEnGM.jpg:large

Now, to do some random replying where I have something to add!

A few random thoughts:

- The green circle indicator reflects in mirrors. So... this isn't strictly a UI feature. The green circle has a physical presence within the world and is visible to every in-game character, all of whom pretend not to notice it or the protagonist chasing it around like a cat with a laser pointer.

- The dog-fighting ring seemed like a new experience, but if memory serves there was one in Baldur's Gate 2. Bioware should bring it back for the new Dragon Age.

Dude... I even went in to check, and yes, it actually does reflect. How weird is that!

The rarity of glue, however, is kinda strange. Must be the random. It's like another person wrote about the rarity of shields a few posts above. I have like 10 in my current playthrough on level 6, got em from rando bandits. Sometimes the dice just roll in favor of an item being abundant, and sometimes they don't.

Fini. Doubt I can say anything that hasn't been said a hundred times already. If a game gets a Codex review before your initial playthrough, you know you're truly late to the party. It's great though. I got invested in the internal politics which started out simply enough but often develop another face (the Otryen/Factory questline is like a microcosm of that), and just like in Legends of Eisenwald even the most innocuous rumours tend to bear fruit.

I kinda dig the boss:

It's like a benevolent version of The Master who makes a convincing argument. So there's an asteroid hurtling towards earth and this undeveloped world isn't going to be able to launch Bruce Willis with his space drill in time. ATOM has a wait and see approach, acting as a guide to the wasteland's development rather than taking charge. The boss has a proactive plan to connect everyone in a hive mind and prevent the catastrophe, virtually guaranteeing survival. So triumphing over the boss in any fashion leaves a sword of Damocles hanging in the air. Is individuality precious enough to resign the human race to near-certain extinction? There's no super mutant virility trump card to torpedo the plan. The boss has been thinking about this a lot longer than you.

One way to defeat the boss with speech? Point out it'll have to do the one thing it hates the most to get the job done - commit violence.

Several quests not only have multiple solutions as expected, but also multiple levels of success. Doing a really good job gets a bigger reward. I've heard refusing a monetary reward can net extra experience or unique items instead. 'Heard' being the operative word (I gotsta get paid). The consequences for the completion of some quests was the unexpected part, like the travelling merchants stocking a series of 8 erotic space novels after I brokered a deal between the writer and publisher, or being able to blackmail names on the Barbecue list.

There should be an unlockable distinction for being a tattletale. You can tell on half a dozen people for smoking, drinking, or keeping a secret. In some cases you can give the person the very thing you're going to tell on them for. What an asshole! I love it. :lol:

Suppose I should find something to complain about. Okay so there's like 4 rope uses in the entire game, and 2 of them are on the same map. Rope interactions are like buses, you spend ages waiting and then 2 come along at once.

Thanks, man! Every time someone likes Atom, it gives us a huge moral boost. Money is cool and all, but nothing beats reading feedback, especially about the little stuff we hid in there, like the snitching :D You nailed it with the boss analysis!
This game really is better then Wasteland 2 at all aspects. I don't know yet if it is better than Underrail but I really hope they will expand it further.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Put them in the weapons thingy!

Hows the combat in 1.8?can you still roflstomp anything on hard/solo?
With more ease, I'd say!

Bergblatstein

Novice
Has anyone been able to unlock the "No Name,No Slogan" achievement?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom