Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Safav Hamon Self-Ejected Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    The "It's Fallout but in Russia" gimmick would grow stale in a sequel

• rolleyes x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Right.
    Just how "It's set in the USA" grew stale after a single game...

• Brofist x 5
    • nice x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    wtf are you talking about

FO was all kwanzanian 1950s cold-war retro-futurism / western from the very first story beats

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Slight, but important difference.

Besides what's wrong with sticking said thematic identity?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Safav Hamon Self-Ejected Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    It's not a compelling enough identity to justify multiple games.

Like I said though, ATOM is good. I like it more than AoD and Underrail, despite having the least original setting among them.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    just because ATOM is grounded doesn't mean it have no identity. you are mistaking identity with fantasy. ATOM is the closest portrayal of our world in post apoc videogame. FAllout 2 especially took the America too far as a parody or satire, while in new vegas, not much america is left on the world (which is fair after 200 years).

ATOM is rooted, you know what the idea of russian apocalypse is like trough the eyes of people who lived trough the dissolvement of their state (iirc atomboy said the peeps in their team are old enough to experience Soviet's collapse in their lifetime) and try to retell its experience trough a post nuclear breakdown in the dawn of 21st century.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    So retro-futuristic Americana is a compelling enough identity to justify multiple games, but retro-futuristic Sovietica isn't. Got it. :salute:

• Brofist x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mikeal Savant

Mikeal
    TFW loading screens didn't last for 10-15 minutes.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    If anything, ATOM is lacking in that Russian/Soviet theme, at least in the visual department (haven't played it, so I'm judging from pics and videos).
    Needs more Orthodox Churches, Metros and weird looking Soviet-era buildings and monuments.
    Maybe even Slavic Pagan LARPers who gather around carved wooden balvans and dance long into the night.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Orthodox Church began its revival only after 1988 (Which was 1000th anniversary of Baptism of Rus btw) so this to work game should have its ITZ decade or two later Comrade. Of course all possible after such events even some of orphaned Man reading the old pre revolutionary books and after being captured by nomads taking over and conquering tribes on the steppes as second Ivan the Terrible creating new Russian Khanate Caesar style. :incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    1) I'm talking about the buildings which weren't eradicated but still stood and 2) I'm pretty sure some communities still practiced the faith, the fact it wasn't widespread is irrelevant. Also, 3) Stalin was different than other commie rulers and instead of building only generic buildings also liked more classical styles as well.

Either way, post-apo settings are interesting because they usually explore multiple widely different cultures/societies (built on twisted understandings of already existing old ones) so it would have been awesome to see what they would come up with.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Add Medieval Castles and Enlightenment-era Villas as well. Perfect places to re-settle and build towns/communities around after the apocalypse ends.

• incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Well, there is one castle.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Kinda like how Bethesda's Fallout 3 moved the setting to the east coast from Fallout 1 & 2's west coast (bad example because Fallout 3's worldbuilding is shit and just re-hashes the themes from Fallout 1 and 2, but just mentioning it because it's a series of post-apoc games where a sequel sets itself in a different part of the US to change up the setting a bit), Atom 2 could move the setting to a different part of the Soviet Union. Maybe somewhere further west - the Baltics, or another East Bloc country like Yugoslavia or Bulgaria. Maybe a different Soviet Republic like Kazakhstan, Georgia or Armenia. There's a lot of variety in a post-apocalyptic Soviet Union, so I really don't see how it would grow stale any more than Fallout sequels would grow stale.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Atomboy confirmed for sure this month? The big update. I'm waiting to start fresh, and another playthrough when you guys release the expansion.

^ Top  
  16. ironmask Educated

ironmask
    I have been playing this game for the first time for 10 hours and it is pretty cool so far. If there is an Atom 2 then I really hope the sequel will take place in a winter wasteland since I feel that was a lost opportunity. Way too many post apocalyptic games take place in deserts.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. filpan Learned

filpan
    Well you will have Wasteland 3 in frozen waste

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. ironmask Educated

ironmask
    I would rather have a more fallout like game than a party based rpg like wasteland. Plus wasteland 3 is being made by inxile. Which is known for making mediocre shit.

^ Top  
  19. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Never, probably. At least not for money. Or for money but then you'll get a car factory and 10 global maps along with your new Lada. We started with this "sell huge game dirt cheap / ?????? / profit? maybe?" strategy and we'll die by it! Of hunger, most likely! But that's for Future Me to worry about.

Thanks, man! Our coders really deserve the praise. Unity is awesome, but keeping it from going all bananas on certain machines was nearly impossible, and yet the madmen somehow fixed it for most setups. It even runs on my home computer with an integrated GPU from 2010 or 2012 which is akin to magic.

Well, logic, reason and most of the Russian proverbs I know tell us to make Atom 2 right now while we're at least somewhat relevant, so we're going for something completely different and so weird and unexpected that it has like a 50/50 chance of digging us an early grave, but just like with Atom, I always wanted to make something like this, and I'll enjoy playing it. Despite that, a big part of Atom 2 is also planned out. But it will have to wait.

Well, let me say this: there will probably be snow levels in Atom 2. And it will probably take the player northways. So, awesome guess! There will also be snow in the Add-on probably.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    You know what? I bet by the time we'll make Atom 2, this thing will sound like a new idea again. :D We'll most probably take the Half Life route of making sequels.
    We actually have two of these three things you mentioned! The balvan is even in working order and looks just like a penis from some angles! As for architecture, yeah, we get that a lot, but the region of the USSR we took as inspiration actually looked exactly like that in the 1980's and sadly mostly looks like that even now. It was not all Khruschovkas and Stalinkas even back in the day. Stalker gave our team a bit of Khruschovka overdose, since we played it like crazy since we were toddlers, so we went for the one-story USSR. Giving too much Soviet vibes, making everyone a comяade, etc. is frowned upon in our culture so that was a huge stopper as well. We went for the simple story/simple people route and spiced it up with all sorts of weirdo shit but not enough to be called the dreadful word KLYUKVA, which means "cranberries" but also means "a supersaturated display of Soviet/Russian life". I find that mild things age better than overwhelmingly stylized things. Might be wrong!

We actually have a castle!!!

Well, our map maker man tells me not to get confident, but I am sure that it will be out after the 25th. We'll announce around the 15th, the date set there will be set in stone!

There will be snow!

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Also, sometimes I get the honor to use my amazing MS Paint skills to create some terrible wall art for a dungeon or two. Here's one.

So, right before the war, a metro worker decided to hide himself, his wife and their three babies in the staff tunnels deep under ground. Did that work out for the young family? Look at the pretty Soviet era poster they have somewhere in their lair and wonder!
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

"A tasty breakfast for children - RATSIE. Demand it from DADDY. Sold by every DADDY"
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

"Easy to care for - lots of profit.
    Breed RATSIES"

(It was originally a pro-rabbit-breeding poster, weird I know, where would I breed rabbits? On my khruschevka balcony? In the dacha? Does that poster assume I'm a peasant?!)

What? Shitty quality and default PS brush?! No worries, it will look nice when reworked and posted on a wall by the artist.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Some content alluding to WWI, Civil war and Pre-revolutionary Russia would be nice; So far we got Mosin riffles, the quest with Shield of Count and some allusions to Civil War past of Roaring forest. Its bit strange indeed that there are satanists, Muslims and even Jew and also Hilarius caricature of Russian liberal in game but no Orthodox Church or priest or believer in entire game but maybe it will be added in next part of which Commissar can't wait to have opportunity to back. Next Part of game taking part in Siberia with its famous rail, old believers secret settlements lost in wouds, and some fantasy elements like Admiral Kolchak treasure train or Baron Ungern-Stemberg wanabe or Tunguska Meteorite would be interesting to play in. Its not that Commissar here complains it was first game since many years where I did read all dialogues and in game books in hope of finding another hidden easter egg or quest after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. GloomFrost Savant

GloomFrost
    Guys any ideas for a built that lets you get through the game relatively easy and yet lets you see as much of the content as possible PLZ??? (sort of like smart sniper/diplomat in F2). Its just i m starting a new character in Pathfinder and then Kingdom Come GOTY is coming out so no free time at all!

^ Top  
  24. Sòren Cipher

Sòren
    Show Spoiler
    glutton + lucky one, perception and intelligence 8+, charisma ~7, dexterity 7+; strength not much more than 5 needed (there's a weapon handling perk later on)
    invest in automatic rifles and speech. and survival of around ~45 for the best random encounters. follow dan's questline in the beginning and kill the wayfarer in the roaring forest for his gun.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    I haven't replayed an RPG for the last two years and counting, but ATOM is going to put a stop to that.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)