Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flushfire

Augur
The egg person is not Alexander, the story is about another character. And when he was screaming this, he didn't mean like weirdo worm alien eggs
Awww shiiieet so I just killed him all the time for no reason? :lol:

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Atomboy

No luck, box is empty and no key to access the bunker.

aIKZR24.jpg

Serves you right for murdering those poor people.

Vrab

Learned
Started a new game few days ago. I noticed a number of improvements, so that's nice. However I haven't seen a single dog armour or a single gas mask, old or new. I'm level 13, met a number of truck caravans, checked armour merchant in Krasno several times, no luck.

Saduj

Arcane
However I haven't seen a single dog armour or a single gas mask, old or new. I'm level 13, met a number of truck caravans, checked armour merchant in Krasno several times, no luck.

Random encounter scavengers trade dog armor sometimes.

Vrab

Learned
IDK if it has been mentioned, but I made the herbicide in Pass of Woes bunker, the one that you get to make by following instructions on a notebook page found on a skeleton. In the instructions it says, besides the ingredients and their amounts, "two-phase preparation, coagulation in centrifuge and dissolvment in spirits", yet there's no such option. The two phases, centrifuge and dissolvment, are both present as choices but separately. So chosing one of them basically ends the process and produces a failure. The correct option that successfully creates the herbicide is the one that isn't even mentioned in the instructions. Is this a mistake or did I miss something?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finally bought it. I was waiting for full version and enough free time and this Steam sale came at convenient time :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
I bit my tongue so pain would make it easier to go through writing in this game on russian (I think if you're russian, you should play this on english, that way less of all that writing gets translated because a lot of it is awful references and graphomania - yes, there are some cool choices and fun NPCs and interactions, not denying that some of it is fun to interact with - but it is still Fallout 2 instead of Fallout 1; but worst part is that it's different setting completely (Russia) yet beginning is still poor village raided by bandits then u go into some bunker etc.) and I think I know what's this game is about.

It's isometric Elex, it literally is. Character system? Broken, pump guns you can have very high chance to hit on level 2-3 already, and pump speech, everything else is relative or is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the game much. Some of skills work in a more degenerate way than Fallout 1 (like Stealth). Perks - look very un-attractive unless you want a gimmicky playthrough or are pretty straightforward (moar shooty). Feats? Some of them are whatever, some of them literally give you a second turn (with half ap, sure, but on average it would still be minimum extra 4 AP) or are only way to increase your defence, half of the tree looks undesirable. Crafting? Too much effort, the first encounter I got out of the city got me better weapon I could craft or get from quests. Quests? So far too much seems to be solved by finding my Persuade check. Combat - no ability to crouch/lie/stamina so basically this is not Jagged Alliance, no, one of the most basic combats I've played recently, way more basic and easy than say AoD imo. (not saying enemies don't hit hard as fuck but you know, being glasscannon n stuff I wouldn't call it difficulty, it's similar to F2 in that regard where you could get wiped in a single round by bursts/crits)

Also UI, you could hold mouse button and pick items from inventory on objects and such even in old Fallouts; in Atom you need to equip key in hand to use key on door. And inventory upgrade - 2 rows instead of 1. Wat. (I sometimes wonder if devs even look at games made by same people later, like, Arcanum had decent grid inventory with auto-sorting and fantastic crafting compared to Fallouts, why not take inspiration from that?)

However, I'd like you to check the time. My time is now 17:27. Around 20 mins ago I made a coffee. I installed the game around midnight. Yeah I just woke up. All I remember is some mutant clown eating balls then I got into some circus and my game crashing due to terrible performance of whatever engine this is; and very cool in-game cinematics (those are really cool compared to detailed, but not very attractive or unique basic graphics of the game which do not feel like they have their own style like Fallout sprites had). And me being like "ah come on I wanna play zzzzzz.....".

The gameplay is frustratingly addictive and it is very hard to stop especially when you can't beat something cause you lack 3 points in speech and so you go out in the world, find some dog almost get killed but get dog in the party then check out that slavers rumour and it quickly gets out of hand as you can see from these empty coffee mugs.

I really, REALLY didn't want to try this game because the overall style of russian garage gaming is very unappealing when you understand where all the references are coming from and seen this style before; but whatever, I'ma re-rolling my character - I need more charisma (this game actually blocks your dialogue regardless of skill if you have low charisma at times, which is good design compared to Fallouts) and lockpicking/sneak. This time I'm also not installing the area which gives +50 sneak cloak btw, that's just dumb.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
wat

I said it feels simplier and less punishing that say AoD

In retrospective though, AoD combat is indeed "easy" - you level your dodge and crab good weapons and then you can kill enemies one after another a-la that ormu raid where you kill like 20 of them

Dungeon Rats, on the other hand, is a lot closer to what I would call a game with really hard combat.

I am pretty early into the game though, but the classic dances with ants and exploiting AP in general feels extremely Fallout to me.

I decided to roll a womyn with 8 charisma and game reacting to both of these things is pretty nice. I also noticed some timed events like mailman coming into the city I haven't noticed before. These things are pretty nice as well as quests between cities and all the NPCs having lost relatives/captured ppl/sick dudes somewhere you run quests for. It's a lot more engaging when cities are all connected like that through NPCs, so that part (and being free to go anywhere and die there) is what I like about this game.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't think it's timed. It's basically a cycle of events that can happen in otradnoye to spice things up.
off top of my head there'd be a few encounters you can get in otradnoye only:
- possessed man and his pig
- hunter selling furs
- guy with a necklace made out of ears
- a man claiming he knows you as his long lost friend's child
- mail guy
- tv repairman

Shadenuat

Arcane
I noticed that game has some mechanics against early exploiting of economy. For some salespeople items cost thousands of rubles, but for others nothing. A booth in hub Krasn takes everything for laughable amount. I spent all my money earned on books for +60 something raise in skills raising speech to 130. Makes me check on prices and constantly exchange my stuff for light and expensive things like stims.

So far this is the most generous post apoc game I've played, even when compared to New Vegas. Food is plentiful and you can take it in plain sight anywhere (and I don't even have lots of sneak), animals are free xp and food; I'm not sure why hunger mechanic is even there. Restoring HP is good enough. But at least stims can give addiction which is how it always should have been in Fallout.

I shot some slaverz, rat kangs and mega spiders for 100 dmg in the eyes with starting rifle. Witcher trait turned to be helpful. Waiting for combat to pick up. Probably will when I meet more enemies with guns.

The Krasnoznamen was a disappointment tbh. All the mini quests felt like chores and rewards felt like they're for level 1 characters. I didn't do all of them but there's no some bigger conflict there just chores. Collect 100 papers or 20 spider hearts is the worst shit there can be. With added recipes like "craft level 4 home made gun" shit began reminding me of Zlatogorye. I am going back into the wastelands, kinda got tired of that mega city (with mega sewers) with nothing amazing to do. I liked 2 early little cities more.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have to admit the Soviet Wasteland is generous.

At level 16 (still didn't leave the first global map) I carry with me 45k rubles, lots of medical supplies and ammo, enough food and alcohol not to worry about it. The rest I keep in the trunk of my car.

The only problem I have is my weight capacity. Even with the full party (Fidel modified via special potion to max his strength, endurance and dexterity, Hexagon, Alexander and the dog) I often get encumbered by all the loot I get.

It seems to me even pre-war Soviet Union was not so overflowing with resources ;)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Whoever writer wrote that egg quest in circus needs help.

Killed some book burners. 7 dudes with clubs just spawn around you 5 steps away. classic encounter design. although I guess makes sense due to context of the quest.

however, half of them went "what is dis. who did we attack? what is happenin?". and then a grenade flew out of nowhere thrown by my character under what I assume is combat invisibility spell from D&D.
I like grenades now.

also my dog is better at first aid and computers than i am

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

I thought VD was "videogame developer" of all things :D Many of us are huge fanboys of Iron Tower, and I'm a veteran lurker of their forums, where Vince answered in almost all threads. We were super excited when we got lucky enough to get our English editor from AOD. By the way, your post's actually quite the coincidence, since I've been looking for a reason to say something about AOD for a week now. Started my second serious playthrough recently. Boy oh boy, what a game. Sure, I'd make every single NPC have a pointless 5 page long dialogue if I made it, but everything else is just... sublime! Rarely do I find a game that I play over and over again. The combat, the difficulty, the setting! Especially the setting. Very unique and inspiring. I wasn't so in love with a twist ever since
I found blaster rifles in the Mandate of Heaven.
I'll do my best not to steal bits from it if we ever get to a gunless sword-and-(maybe, somewhat, not really) sorcery game.

Vault Dweller

Shadenuat

Arcane
in traditional RPG tradition I solved junkyard by picking persuasion option for 1000 extra xp and then one-shot every mutant with skoped sks 5 screens away from stealth for more xp.

collected my 200 scrap, put into new car and drove he did.

why do I need so much scrap?

I don't know, it's there, so I probably need it.

Maybe I should bring it to the jew booth in Krasnoe. it's 200 items of it so should be at least 200 rubles.

Also I wish I would find more of those multi eyed baby deathclaws which give 350 xp each and die same way. It is more than any quest qives you. So far this is the easiest Fallout I ever played, hope it's all just a big tutorial. I'm level 13.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom