Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    If anyone is interested in first impressions of a guy that spent 1-2h playing it so far..

I liked the opening cinematics and the main menu where you got a guy that walks away and sounds become quieter.
    I am not sure how I feel about the tutorial section where you are left to wander around on your own until you run into areas where stuff is happening. But once I did wander in, I learned useful stuff. Only problem was the battle vs two dudes. Tutorial pop up comes about how you can command your companions and I tried to do that on the one dude that was in the arena on my side of the battle and he never did anything the whole battle (I held left click on him, chose choose target and pointed him at same guy I was attacking).

Then you get a mission and the ambush part and that was kind of OK. Kind of cool how you get to battle them (and lose of course). Then a little sequence when you go to cross the bridge. But that part is funny because it seems like you were next to village but decided to camp outside anyways.
    Then I ran around the village, killed everything I could find and looted all I could. Found the secret room and the old guy and the stash. Talked to guards and a couple of people in the village. Ended after I talked with that other ATOM soldier (who is a jerk).

My impressions and problems: Graphics are kind of weak and without enough details (everything is brown). Sounds are even weaker, I miss a good soundtrack but mostly I miss people sounds. The game does not need VO but it needs background sounds of people and other stuff. Game sounds lifeless. UI is basically a copy of Fallout 1 and 2, not sure why. That UI can and should be improved, not copied. Also when I want to melee stuff but enemy is out of range my character didn't move automatically to them to attack.. no need to have these kind of limits in 2018/2019.
    Crafting is the worst part. Why the random roll to succeed? I got 30 or 35 in crafting and I fail more than I succeed even the basic recipe (bullets for pipe pistol or bag). I didn't save scum and save scumming should not be basic design. Even worse is that you lose the materials when you fail these checks. At least I got lucky crafting the basic unarmed weapon so I can fight with something.

Writing has spelling errors and it is strange in English. You can tell it is not written (or at least edited) by a English person or writer sucks. I hope it gets better later. For comparison, Underrail has much better writing and that one is made by a Serbian. Maybe it gets better later.

Combat was slower and less interesting than Underrail. Camera is too close to characters, I had to fiddle with camera all the time. At one house my character didn't want to enter it. It took me 10 attempts of different positions and camera angles before he would enter it.

My conclusion: If I was not a big Fallout and Underrail fan I would skip on this game. So far it is just a noticeable worse version of both.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Infinitron
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    its :incline: to meet pretty girl who is not whore or/and slut Comrade, from what we did I can imagine my PC and Katya married and had children after game finished, I am sure Comrade Kovalyev will be proud watching them from the People's Militiamen Heaven. Also loved the fragment about ex cop who returned from retirement and lead survivors to Metro station its was very satisfying to find out what happened to svolotch who did not let those poor people in. :hero:

As to voice over goes my advice is to not add them Comrade unless you do have some quality and cheap voice actors... maybe some lines for Companions would work like in Arcanum but for me this game is already for :obviously: players who were educated by glorious Soviets to read and don't need such capitalistic luxuries. Add some more portraits, Russian and Soviet weapons (Like Cult HMG Maxim), quests and stories who were in majority fun and added to game. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. flushfire Augur

Infinitron
    Like you can't pick some locks because you lack 1 point of Lockpick? Or you can't fix the turbine because you lack 1 point of Tech? Maybe I'm wrong, but my assumption is that few people will nitpick like that. I've never seen anyone say why can I pass this Speechcraft check with 90 but not with 89. Anyway it's not about stopping savescumming, it's about not encouraging it. Right now, even if players take Technophobe, they're able to craft anything with 2 cigs + magnifying glass + savescumming. Why would anyone put points in Tinkering? Even the quests that check it require no investment in the skill. Then the failure chance is too high even after meeting the soft requirement, cigs supposedly require 2 Tinkering, at 50 I still fail like 20% of the time so why bother increasing it. What you have in place basically encourages savescumming. When nobody invests in the skill, and even the most viewed guides say there's no need to invest in the skill, doesn't that mean there's something wrong with it?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Ivan Arcane

Infinitron
    This is bothering me as well. I'm at the 2nd bunker of the game (Mountain of Woes). So many containers to picklock/open is a huge pain the ass. Gives me Expeditions: Viking ptsd.

Anyway, I gotta admit a lot of love and care went to the NPCs. Despite what I said before about them being infodumbs, you can tell a lot of work went into making each one unique. I would have liked to have seen that attention aimed elsewhere. I would have liked more sensible exit zones for certain areas (e.g. Factory - why not move the exit zone closer to the camp instead of wasting the player's time, same goes for the castle in Mt of Woes).

Once I lowered my expectations I gotta say I'm enjoying this a bit more. I think it was waaaaaaaaay too overhyped for me here on the codex, however it's heart is in the right place. Hopefully the Dead City brings some incline to the title since that's my next destination.

Edit: Gunnar left an important post near the bottom of the last page. I also advocate that the devs should re-approach how they handle dialogue with NPCs. While it's probably too late for the expansion, it would serve them well in future titles to try something else. Why not mix in some Attention checks to reveal more expository/descriptive text instead of dumping it from the get-go. Also, I'm glad that Atomboy acknowledges that there are way too many interactive containers in the world.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. CoronerZg Novice

Infinitron
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. SymbolicFrank Magister

Infinitron
    Btw, only the left ALT key is recognized as being an ALT key. I think the same goes for the CTRL key. That makes it hard to play left-handed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    That one is even worse lol. I want my Fallout 1/2 feeling, not Fallout 3.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. CoronerZg Novice

Infinitron
    No, no, no, that picture on mod page is maybe confusing because it's showing extreme angle, but the mod enables zoom and rotation in all directions.

You can have top-down view like in F1/F2 with slight angle, but if you choose so, you can go all the way down to ugly F3 view.

Trust me, it's a great mod :>

^ Top  
  9. CoronerZg Novice

Infinitron
    Hello Team Atom!

Here is some feedback after 40 hours in the game...

What I liked the most was feeling you guys managed to nail so perfectly. World, setting, people... it all just meshes well and I liked the ruski take on the post apocalypse a lot. It was refreshing.

Progression is also very nicely done and I enjoyed my poor brick wielding lady and crafting shivs that kept breaking trying to kill that damn rat. Then finding some decent weapons and smacking few caravan guards and getting all that nice shiny loot. Then getting raped by those headhunters and losing all of my stuff again. Yeah..... but seriously, good stuff.

I'm still not done with my playthrough and already I can't wait for that expansion.

I do hope you guys won't stop updating the base game tho. Cause I'd like to see it become a real classic (and I believe it can) but there is still a lot that can be improved.

Been following this thread for some time, so I know everything has been listed already, but I'll say it anyway, cause it comes from a good place:

- skill tree... yeah... just... not working, not working at all - honestly, I think original Fallout did it perfectly
    - locked containers with no loot - nope, don't do it... that's just bad game design and as you mentioned yourself already, a LOT of containers should just be opened and looted so you can see it straight away and not waste your time
    - speechcraft... speechcraft everywhere - more skill variation is always good
    - npc interviewing - here, I think Gunnar was spot on with everything he said. Some characters like Comrade Kovalev had so much soul, it was amazing. And I kept wondering all the time how much more of those awesome characters you guys could've made if you saved the time and effort from writing those other npcs that had no real interactions with the player but they still had all those standard interview options and unique but boring stuff to say. I understand that most of people in the world really are boring, but I really think some Fallout style barks are enough to let me know they are boring and would just waste my time. Or if you really want to make it different... well, why not just make them have unique avatars (as they already have, cause those are cool) and tell you some interesting one line info straight away, as soon as you click them. And trim down the fat. Just useful, but maybe sneaky bits of info. I know it's not realistic, of course, but it would work a lot better than having the whole interview process every time. And we would still get to see their nice and unique avatars AND they would actually help us! ...instead of making us feel like going on a murder spree :oops:

Well, that's it for now Comrades and good luck with Trudograd! Fingers crossed it comes out this year!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    So it seems I am stuck in Bunker 317.. all you know what I am talking about.
    I went there early (lvl 4 atm) as that was supposed to be my main quest.. and now I cannot leave due to these jerks. I spent 1+ hour of my life in there, I am not giving up all my items.

I read some advice on the net, I took all my money with me and filled my inventory with microchips (left rest in a locker inside) but they still figure out I am trying to cheat them and kill me on sight. I cannot fight them as they kill me every time before I even get my turn. I don't have some of these mushrooms that are supposed to let me get away and my speechcraft is only 65 atm so I can only succeed partially at that.
    Any other ways to do this (even cheat) ? Otherwise I am quitting the game and playing a better one instead. Game is not nearly good enough to start over or go back before this Bunker area (the save I got is even before I entered that whole map and fought all the beasts on it, that would be like 2h of effective gameplay lost, fuck that).

^ Top  
  11. Gunnar Savant

Infinitron
    Items are very replaceable in this game. There's nothing great in the bunker anyway, and better stuff starts appearing when you level up. Just give up the junk and you can easily refill with much better stuff by hitting the bandits and caravans pinata.

^ Top  
  12. flushfire Augur

Infinitron
    Speechcraft check is 77 so if you don't mind cheating just give yourself some exp, you're gonna need much more than that anyway over the course of the game. There's also a strength check that you can try to pass using the BSFs you find inside the bunker, they stack and there's 2 of them.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    Ok I was able to pass it by filling my inventory with those microchips + some other random items and all my rubles.

^ Top  
  14. Mikeal Savant

Infinitron
    Inside Bunker you can find two strength enchancing drugs. If you have at least 6 strength you can buff yourself to 10 and tell them to fuck off.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    Nah, I started with 5 strength. Also I didn't know these bonuses stacked.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    GameBanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/122554-atom-rpg-review/all-pages.html

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What's this then?

• decline x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Efe Learned

Infinitron
    now console peasants will learn to love isometric rpgs too
    which will mean more for everyone

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Infinitron
    Man, you're fast! Just came by to post and it's already here. Thing is, the guys who approached us asking to make controller support, had disabilities. And I don't mean that they were console gamers, I'm talking real disabilities that make using the mouse cause pain and whatnot. It's pretty hardcore to buy something and play it through terrible, debilitating pain, so we conjured up this patch thinking about cool people like that primarily. Though anyone can benefit from it, if for some reason he or she wants to.
    I dunno, dude. The console company I contacted blocked my emails since they're not man enough to say it straight. Just do it. Say: "we don't want buggy eurojunk with drugs and murder on our baby console!". Much better. But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...Spoke too soon they replied ima dummi
    To all the rest: the replies are coming, it's just that i'm horribly busy at the moment. No sleep, no gaming, no nothing, we gotta make a thing for trudograd and we wont use internet and life until we make it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Salute x 8
    • Brofist x 4
    • decline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Infinitron
    Also, anyone reading this: is there even a reason to port a thing like Atom on a console? Another console I contacted is pretty sweet and helpful and if God is merciful we'll publish on it... But I honestly don't even know why. We're doing it because we can, and because there's nothing stopping us, but is there a market for such games? I mean I have Numenera and POE sometimes pop out in PSN store, as I browse it, but does it actually sell? It sold on PC, I mean at least I bought it, but playstation? And remember, POE and Numenera look pretty and have cool anime plots, and we don't, and are clunky.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Gunnar Savant

Infinitron
    Name for mockery purposes pls

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Efe Learned

Infinitron
    i dont own a console but that implementation looks too clunky to interest me if i was playing with gamepad. (though i played only about 2 games with gamepad)

it looks nice to control mouse but i guess it should be made to control game instead? for example, click attack and now it highlights enemies and you swap through them rather than have you move mouse around square by square.
    still, good on you for thinking of disabled gamers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

Infinitron
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :hahyou: you cad.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Beastro Arcane

Infinitron
    1: It's a post-apocalyptic setting.
    2: It's a port-apocalyptic Russian setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ZodoZ Cipher Patron

Infinitron
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The developers captured 21st century Russia/Ukraine very accurately.
    I enjoyed the time I spent in-game. The characters are funny and sometimes a good read.
    It's not often something like this comes out of the East.

:4/5:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)