Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Well, not really.
    The game autosaved somewhere in the bunker and then I made a save before the exit.
    When I load any of them, my character is dead for no reason.

The game somehow overwrote my saves and made my character dead.
    Gonna mail you now.

Btw it would be a great idea to make 5-10 quicksave slots, not just one. Helps with these bugs.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Anyway, I wanted to say I really like the game so far. Hope I can continue playing and you guys fix my saves cuz otherwise I delete it and wait for some definitive edition.

Its surprising to me that you managed to make the game look and play better than Wasteland 2 when we compare the studio sizes.

- what the fuck do I load into the crafted guns? "a round" ?? wtf, can you identify it somehow? I dont have anything called "a round" in my inventory as far as I can tell yet the guns get loaded by some white shitty powder I crafted
    I have a zip-gun round, but having received a pipe gun BEFORE crafting a zip gun, I had no idea that the zip gun was a basic component to the crafted guns and therefore they all use zip-gun rounds. You should call the ammo in the weapon description a "zip gun round" as it appears in the inventory

- add an autobalance button to trading, searching for the roubles is horrible

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. pm_675 Educated

pm_675
    Sorry if I sounded cranky. I knew that you didn't make the changes or the combat system, and in any case you are only a part of the team. I appreciate and thank you for your willingness to be here and answer the questions of codexers.

My problem was with the "casualisation" of the game. First of all neither you or apparently the combat tester are alright with it. Wich is a perfect reason no to do it . Especially if it's by listening the morons at Steam. They are lowest common denominator and you will never be able to satisfy them. It's a losing, neverending battle that leads to decline caving to retards.
    Secondly, the real problems with combat don't lie in the balance between firearms but in the way you are informed about the systems. I started playing rpgs with Realms of Arkania, Dark, Suns, Eye of the Beholders and others with out manual and I played Fallout 1 and 2 so I can kinda, somewhat understand what the hell is going under the hood and things like DT, DR, blindess and the rest mean. I don't have time nowadays to became autistic about it nor try to decipher how combat works. And thats without the problems with perks being underwhelming and strange to get, melee being kinda crap (it needs perks that lower AP cost, give free movent and special attacks to begin working) an auto being op as fuck (I think making each shoot in the burst be less accurate and with less channce to crit can start to make it less op).

Oh, and I second adding autobalance to trading at least. But I repeat myself by saying the inventory screen is cancer

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Traded toy gun to Mikoyan. Tried to pickpocket some chems. Failed. He pointed the toy gun at me and shot me.

[​IMG]

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 21
    • incline incline x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Iluvcheezcake Learned

Iluvcheezcake
    Attention is too important a stat for both dialogue, enviroment interaction and combat to leave it at 1. Dont do it m8

^ Top  
  6. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Please, explain to the developer why is cancer and provide alternatives with pictures.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    youre quoting the wrong guy, matey

^ Top  
  8. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    ^ Top  
  9. pm_675 Educated

pm_675
    Because you can lose a couple of minutes looking for Rubles, for starters? That It perfectly simulates the annoyance and impatiance of looking for your money and not finding is not praiseworthy in a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    so wait, does the only stat I maxed out - Luck, do fuck all?

^ Top  
  11. krilcebre Novice

krilcebre
    It can be useful, but in general it's the worst stat of all. :D

^ Top  
  12. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    So did i fuck myself?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Just post your character sheet so we can unfuck you with a thicc rod. :smug:
    Prepare lube.

Luck is actually quite good for a full combat character since it adds more crit chance. More so than STR, if you're going ranged, since weapons requirements penalty can be skipped by raw skill points, which you should have plenty of by the time you're level 6+.

And LUCK does have rare applications to pre-scripted events.

I notice you have Luck 10, so why not just try your luck, kill insects and start fishing for something good in Otradnoye?

^ Top  
  14. jaydee2k Learned

jaydee2k
    Where the hell do I get armor in this game. Went from Otradnoye to the abandoned factory an learned how to build one from that demon worshiper but my tinkering skills are total ass.
    Is there no way to buy one in early game? Same for better weapons, only have a rusted pistol and some old one shoot rifle from this old guy in Otradnoye. But none of the merchants has firearms in his repertoire.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    The only place I know where you can buy armor is Krasno. That's for 100% certain stock. For randomness, you just gotta luck out when you meet random traveling caravans.

Anyway for those starting the game, here's a tip on how to handle the three stooges you meet in the wild correctly:

[​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

First you trade for the grenade.

[​IMG]

Now throw it to the middle of the camp to hit all three.

[​IMG]

They will try to fight back.

[​IMG]

Aim for the hunting rifle guy first,

[​IMG]

followed with the bare handed guy

[​IMG]

and take out the guy with the toy gun last since imaginary bullets only deal imaginary damage. Your bullets and knives are more real and therefore deadlier.

[​IMG]

Loot them all for a nice hunting rifle and some drugs.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Puteo Educated

Puteo
    Have you tried the Nuclear Edition mod? https://steamcommunity.com/app/552620/discussions/1/1744482869759020315/

Should significantly reduce carcinogens and relieve all but the most serious cases of rectal inflammation

That just shows how much they were inspired by Gothic, sounds like :incline: to me

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Atomboy
    Numbers not adding up. I was wielding AKS74U
    Tool tip says Damage 7-14
    Then I start fight with book burners, 7 of them , 21 HP each.
    I was one shotting a few of them with no criticals.
    Can you explain how this works?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CappenVarra phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    :whatho:

^ Top  
  19. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Ok guys help me out please.
    Tech support (bless them for working during Sunday) tried to fix my save and it didnt work. Maybe theyll manage a second time.
    But anyway, if they dont, I got about 90 mins of game to catch up which pisses me off considering Im not a teenage no-lifer anymore.
    Heres my char, tell me if its completely fucked up and should I cut my losses and start over:
    [​IMG]
    Im in bunker 317 and the rats are giving me a hard time, lol.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    So what you're saying is that you only wanted to be the Game of the Year 2018 for about one month of 2019.
    You could practically throw away your first 4 levels and it would not matter massively. It's not even enough to see if you've got a "build" at a glance at all. Aside from the low Dexterity, it looks fine to me, and you'll be getting some Pistols that aren't too bad.

^ Top  
  21. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Huh. You ever played Fallout with less than 6 points in DEX? Not Fallout 3 or New Vegas, Fallout 1 & 2.
    Try to keep DEX at a minimum of 6 next time so you have comfortable 8 AP in combat. The DEX also helps with your starting combat skills.

I see no issue with you taking Lucky One and Shooting Gallery.

But taking so high of a luck seems like a waste of points if you're not making a combat focused character. The usage is very rare too. For newcomers to the game, avoid putting too many points on Luck.
    I'd say reroll and have a bit less on Luck. Unlike Fallout, ATOM's perks are not locked behind attribute or skill level.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

Focus on Speechcraft first so you can avoid human encounters more consistently, they're way more dangerous than animals.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Builds Guide for new players

^ Top  
  23. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    hm ok...well, Ill try to continue with my current char if the devs fix my save, I dont mind not having an optimal character but Im disappointed Luck doesnt seem to do anything.
    I was expecting getting lucky skill checks related to other skills or finding stuff or lucky conversation triggers related to other skills but you guys seem to be saying it only applies to crit chance

^ Top  
  24. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Yeah Luck has its use in certain scenarios but it's very, very limited.
    And some skills are also underused. Like First Aid.

^ Top  
  25. Puteo Educated

Puteo
    FYI, it's not too hard to edit your save to change attributes and whatnot; it's just that the guides on the forum suck and the unpack tool in the forum has a trojan in it.

If anyone cares let me know and I might gather enough of a shit to make a guide on how to do it safely

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)