Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Well fuck. If the guy who made the game is telling me I screwed up then I might have to admit defeat and start over...

My plan was to try and fix my combat difficulties rather than to finish the game as a 3 Personality talker. I Am within 100 xp or so from level 6. If after leveling and investing in a close combat skill, I still can’t beat anything I will bite the bullet and start over.

^ Top  
  3. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Have you tried hitting the wasp one time then using the rest of your AP to run away? I almost beat that game with that tactic!

• nice nice x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Beat 1.08 in 1H 58M
    Wow you made it easier :D
    Will go for 100% run this weekend

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    I haven't tried kiting since I got Fidel. I don't want to leave him behind because he only seems to gain XP through combat. I'll try changing his tactical setting to running away and then maybe I can kite the circus rats or roaring forest spiders.....

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    You can change stance mid combat. Also if you want to improve combat performance buy sweet cakes and Onions for DEX/END buff. Every buff stacks twice so the +2 can make an impact.

Companions can also be fed prior to fighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mikeal Savant

Mikeal
    That sweet rolls saved my ass several times during plot important fights.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    You even did Toilet Kruul's quest?!

^ Top  
  9. Technomancer Literate

Technomancer
    A what now..?
    Pretty bad tactic if you ask me. This bullshit kiting cheese is usually avoided by game designers in their games but it seems you decided to embrace it. I think this is a mistake. By having 10 DEX you can melee/pistol kite any enemy in the game when fighting 1 on 1. You can beat this blind death monster that guards the serum in mole dungeon with a simple rusty knife and a lot of patience without being hit once. Which defeats a whole purpose of a gameplay situation of powerful enemy guarding a rare item (classic dragon & his hoard scenario).

An easy and dirty fix would be adding some action points to blind death to prevent this. The problem remains, however. If anything is having less AP than you and can't shoot they are dead meat. The whole dungeon quickly becomes a tedious joke.

I like how Obsidian dealt with the problem and I hope you can implement a new mechanic similar to what they did in Pillars of Eternity - an opportunity attack. Basically when you disengage from melee range and run away from the enemy with your back exposed you suffer a free attack from adjacent enemies. Naturally, it works only with enemies that have melee weapons equipped in the primary slot/animals. So you can still kite, especially if you have a shield on your back just not for free and without abusing game mechanics.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    No, I was just doing the usual fast path. Otrad-B317-Peregon-Tunnels-KRZ-DC-Mt.Pass-The End
    Like I said, I'll go check out 100% of the game this weekend.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    is the next DLC paid DLC/trugrodad expansion?

:d1p:

^ Top  
  12. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    I think what they should do is add more quests that affect world factions.
    Look at some of the big events going on and expand on it:

- The world kept talking about Krasno vs Peregon but you hardly picked a side.
    - So Krasno is running low on coal from Peregon, the player can help or don't. What does it affect? Nothing? So Krasno can live on without power?
    - Dan's Gang seems to play for territories yet no one moved to stop him until it's almost too late. And the player never seems to have a side to play for in this conflict except for Dan's? You can assassinate Dan and Kolvayev would reward you handsomely for it, but that'd cut a lot of content prematurely. And the fact you found out where the baddies are hiding isn't enough to get Dan involved in the finale? Wow. So he expects you ALONE to take on an entire gang? I thought the quest was to investigate not to mow down 20 men. That was some weird resolution.
    - The War for Peregon has two bad endings and one good ending. Yet I fail to see anything different happening except for the presence of a single trader and an ending slide. Why not have it affect Krasno and other communities at large?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So you're the guy stealing all those sweetrolls.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Can you ride on turtles in ATOM?

If not wouldn't this be a suitable area to host some runaway turtles:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    What would bandits want with trucks of coal?

The Krasno government are the ones hiring these gangs to attack the caravans in the first place, in order to force Peregon to use Krasno's protection. This is an artificial crisis like the Iron Crisis from Baldur's Gate. So Krasno could just... stop doing that if their power situation became dire. Of course this is all rumour, but knowing the Krasno boss Nikolaev its believable.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Distinctions are untouched.
    And so the shit ones are still shit.

Might wanna tinker with these a bit:
    Cannibal: too low benefit
    Ascetic: too low benefit
    Hobby Engineer: too low benefit
    Circus Ed: carry cap & sequence are too important to gimp
    Leader: :lol: You do just fine without this trait if you want companions.

^ Top  
  17. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    How about making the Leader benefit into Direct combat control of companions?

I would actually take the penalty if that advantage is given

^ Top  
  18. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Hm. Odd bug. I was given a mission to spy on the bandit.
    I decided to kill them all instead.
    Freed the captive. Returned to Kolvayev, but instead of reporting that I've successfully killed them all, I was only able to tell the man that I am no longer able to access the bandit camp.
    Kolvayev then told me there's no other option but to kill Dan, which I already did. But I cannot tell him that.
    I returned to Dan's Factory and could not find his body.

:hmmm:

What the heck happened?
    Did the body fell through the world upon death? I don't recall looting his pistol after killing him either. If that is the case, then what a shame.

Also there's a slight change with this patch, I can't seem to alt tab and let the game run in the background. I used to do this when making a long trip in world map. It's a shame you remove this feature - can you put it back in?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Although idiocy was a contributing factor, it seems that my combat difficulties were largely caused by being unlucky where it pertains to merchant inventory. When I hit level 6, I was able to buy a couple of leather armors, a M-712 pistol and 56 rounds of .30 ammo. I had to sell off most of the items I'd been saving and spend all my cash, but it was well worth it. Prior to this, all the guns I had seen for sale were either way more expensive than I could afford or so lousy as to be a waste of bullets.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my guy is invincible now.

^ Top  
  20. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Hi! Yeah, we couldn't do it this time because of the deadline, but we'll be definitely adding turtles. Not yet sure whether full fledged turtle suit with a turtle leather face mask for the protag, rideable turtles, or just NPC turtles walking around, or enemy snapping turtles, but there will be turtles. The sewer and the place we're planning for the next free update dlc thing are both asking for it. Lore is okay with it as well, though the Southern USSR turtles are pretty small, they still have the neck extending and snapping mechanics of their Florida counterparts if you let it near your nose of fingers.

I think it's a trigger problem, the triggers just don't know what to do in such a complex scenario. We'll root the problem out and fix it in a few days! Thanks for noticing!

Can't get them all in one go! We've got plenty of advice, yours included, and once we're completely okay with the changes already in the game, we'll get on with balancing the starting traits. Thanks!

That is correct!

Nope! Next one is gonna be a bit bigger content wise, smaller balance-changes-wise, but still free. After the next one, maybe we'll start Trudograd!

• incline incline x 6
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Also, sorry, i kinda answered "THANKS" the last time, without answering the second part because of hurrying. Nope! Grigoriy Petrovich Klimov was an actual writer, philosopher and what you may call "conspiracy theorist". The game version is pretty accurate to the original, and shares his ideas in the tone used by the man himself. I wanna finish Grimoire before referencing it or its author properly!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Absolutely well done on the Quality of Life improvement.
    Inventory switching between companions is really smooth now.
    This lets you barter without trading between companions and letting them heal up faster by just passing them a stack of meat and using it from their inventory. It's not perfect, but it's a great deal of improvement.

[​IMG]

Outstanding work Atomboy. :salute:
    Also would like to confirm that you've added a new ability: Quick Reaction as the ultimate in Close Combat Tree.
    This is the description, accessible at Level 9:
    [​IMG]

It says first turn but it kept triggering at every turn. Meaning my 10 AP character gets 5 free AP to play after ending his turn. That's insane, considering using close combat isn't a requirement.

I was actually planning for close combat character but saw no reason not to use Pistols instead. 3 short burst from PPS is enough for guaranteed kill till mid game. By late game I'd probably switch to Stetchkin Pistol with AP 9mm ammo.

Melee weapons take way too long to get unless you meta the crafting recipe.
    Anyway, finished Survival run in less than 2 hours. It really felt easier.

Final level was 7 and I picked the abilities in this order:
    Lv 1: Armor of God to protect from Knockdown
    Lv 3: Automatic Weapon +10
    Lv 7: Survival +10

[​IMG]

Final skill sets:
    [​IMG]

Order of priority:
    Lockpick 40
    Speech 135
    Automatic 90
    Survival any leftover points

AK74 is definitely improved with the 3/4/5 AP Changes.
    End slides if anyone interested:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did the extra content as well. It was not very noticeable if you didn't read up on the patch notes.
    Those who actively seek it out should just checkout the manhole covers in Krasno.
    Really reminds me of Tarant Sewers.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • incline incline x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TheEntitledOne Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    How high should I improve my skills? Are there many 100+ skill checks for speech, tech etc.?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    ^ Top  
  24. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Speech is the most common for better rewards and negotiation past conflicts.
    I'd say Speech 135 is sufficient.
    For Lockpicking, I'd say 40 is more than enough since kits give +20 and a certain quest chain rewards you with +30 kit.

^ Top  
  25. Sloul Learned

Sloul
    Hardest lock is 110 i think.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)