Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Florian Gheorghe Savant

Florian Gheorghe
    This game really is better then Wasteland 2 at all aspects. I don't know yet if it is better than Underrail but I really hope they will expand it further.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

• Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tao Learned

Tao
    I'm loving the game. My only gripe so far is that i couldn't take the dog because the owner not only survive, he wreck two of the bandit by himself (normal difficult) and i didn't know that the event was my only chance (i suspected it but it was so weird the way the battle was resolve that i though you could meet them again in a town or something).

Maybe put in some random NPC selling doggies or for a quest?

Anyway, good job with game Atomboy . It really lives to the Fallout memory :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    I still laugh at how random the guns are on the supposedly 'scripted encounters'.
    There's a gang that spawned with AVS, Dragunov and RPK. Once I saw those, I knew I had no chance of making out of the fight with no loss of companions.
    True enough, one critical hit and another shot was enough to put down poor Fidel. So I reloaded and on my second attempt they no longer have those high-powered rifles just a bunch of rusty shotguns and some SMGs. Much easier.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. redsky Literate

redsky
    Try Ironman and bleed. Thats my next step.

^ Top  
  5. redsky Literate

redsky
    Same thing happened in my game on hardest difficulty. I really wanted that dog, but his owner knew how to fight. :) I hope next time ill have more luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    Hows the combat in 1.8?can you still roflstomp anything on hard/solo?

^ Top  
  7. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    Bummer. The owner is less likely to survive on higher difficulties, but even on normal he should get pasted 9 out of 10 times. The dog event is added to the pool of possible random encounters when the Survival skill reaches around 40 points, and as far as I'm aware its a one time thing.

Oh and for anyone who's interested, the dog doesn't count as a full-fledged companion. That is to say, the Lone Wolf distinction which gives bonuses to going solo and debuffs for having a follower, does not count the dog as a follower. As it should be!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    With how the guns are buffed, I doubt the dog is gonna survive for long anyway.
    With lowered AP per shot, there are more bullets flying now in this version's combat compared to the previous ones.
    And they don't buff the defensive abilities much. HP recovery upon 1/2 and 1/3 loss is OK, but it's under Close Combat tree.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TheEntitledOne Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    Do I need to equip skill buffing items such as lockpicks or tools to get the bonus, or is it enough to have them in the inventory?

• Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    Needs to be equipped in one of the two slots for using items/weapons. If the lockpicks occupy one of the slots, you'll get the bonus no matter which slot is active. Check out your character sheet before and after. The related skill should turn green and raise 20 points for as long as the item is slotted.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Other useful stuff to know:

1. Attention boosts your accuracy with ranged weapons.
    The higher Attention you have, the less skill is needed to get a good hit chance. At 7, I was getting 60% chance with Makarov (62) while having just 45 Skill.
    However, it does not impact melee attacks at all. Even if you are blinded, you still get a normal hit chance. Only DEX affects Melee chance.

2. v1.08 Nagant Pistol is vastly inferior in damage
    With Makarov Pistol costing same AP to fire, switch ASAP to avoid wasting AP on poor damage and poor clip size. They both require nearly the same skill to fire.

3. Traders & prices
    Trader wallets refresh every 24 hours
    If you really want to liquidate your loot, feel free to rest 24 hours and the traders will get a small boost to their cash reserves. Stand in front of them. Rest 12 hours. Eat. Rest again. Repeat.
    Not every trader pay the same price for your goods due to their varied Barter skill e.g Gun shop in Krasno pays almost nothing for anything. Better to visit the hospital to off-load unwanted loot.

4. Consumables bonuses stack twice
    Drugs/Food that gives +AP, ED, DEX can be stacked twice. Very useful on tough fights.
    Mushrooms poison you but have no negative impact on your companion. It gives +DEX yet it cannot be stacked. Always pick them up when you have a party.
    You should try eating one sometime, it's good for laughs.

5. Somewhat hidden skill ups and attribute ups
    There are three ways to permanently raise your attributes.
    1. Roaring Forest idol - drop 3 cuts of meat as offering on the Idol's Circle for +1 Luck
    2. Roaring Forest caverns - loot a serum from a corpse by a death beast. Do not linger, the area is highly poisonous and the beast has life stealing attacks.
    3. Otradnoye - you need high Luck for this, fish a golden fish and release it. Consume alcohol to boost luck. Prepare for a lot of retries.
    There are two ways to lower your attribute
    1. Otradnoye - this is slightly random. A possessed man with his pig will appear. If you have high Intellect you can persuade the demon to possess you instead. +1 STR & -1 PER & INT
      Gives you possessed perk - visit the Satanic Cult in Krasno's sewer for additional content.
    2. Peregon - You need good Personality score to trigger this. Talk to one of the guards in their compound. He will complain about a spider on the window. Offer to kill it. Upon killing the spider, you will lose a point of Luck but gain 2220 EXP.
    There are a few skill raising conversations
    1. Peregon +5 Speechcraft - a man in a white shirt will mention a deadly misunderstanding caused by a stranger. Blame the stranger and ask him about the literature he recommends.
    2. Peregon +5 Gun / Survival / Melee / Barter - an experienced old man will sit by the campfire during day time. Ask to be taught and pick one skill you want.
    3. Dan's +5 Automatic - One of the guards who thinks he is gay. You need a good Personality to ask him on how to handle guns.
    4. Krasno +15 Automatic - Gun Store owner. You need Attention and Intelligence. First encounter only.
    5. Krasno +5 Automatic - Gun Store owner. Personality check.
    6. Krasno +5 Pistol - A cowboy hat-wearing girl will wander around during the daytime. Personality check.
    Temporary buff
    +1 STR & END for 3 days - Get wound treatment at the Krasno hospital for 100 rubles. It stacks twice. Very nice but will not last when you make trips to Dead City / Mountain Pass.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Someone outside of Codex asked for "saved game with 80% of plot done", while I'll try to specify that "80%", that's all I have for now.

^ Top  
  13. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    :lol:

Plot.
    A lot of people probably mistook Dan's gang as mandatory story progression.
    If I give them a save game where I'm done with Dead City and I'm standing in Mountain Pass Bunker at level 6 and has not visited Dan's Factory would that qualify as 80% done?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Well, I asked and got this - before the "gorge of woes", whatever it is in game, because it's translation from Russian.

^ Top  
  15. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Gotta be the Mountain Pass of Woe.
    Which is the LAST place I'd go to since Dead City is right inside Krasno and way more rewarding in terms of rewards:
    - Taiga Machete
    - Biggest Backpack
    - Stethckin Pistol
    - Face Mask +5 Melee damage

Guarded behind... oh... maybe 2 giant rats? :lol:

^ Top  
  16. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    So I hear they buffed shields now.

[​IMG]

:lol: It's a shame shields are rare, else this would be a premium gear for companions.
    Note there's no distinction between Head/Body. Its' a flat +17 DT. Add in the high end Kevlar armor and you're staring at DT24.

Suddenly the 15AP Melee build with Pistol sidearm looks more OP than ever.

Also, encounters can start like a patrol looking for you instead of a straight up confrontation. Nice. The enemy will patrol the map until you shoot at them or they spot you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Thonius Liturgist

Thonius
    You can make it I think. It takes backpack slot too which is bad for low str chars. Also how the heck you can make it to 15 AP?

^ Top  
  18. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    The Close Combat Perk 'Quick Reactions'
    [​IMG]

After every turn, you get a free turn worth 50% of your current AP
    E.g:
    Turn 1 - 10 AP
    Free Turn 5 AP
    Turn 2 - 10 AP
    Free Turn 5 AP
    So on.

If you took +2 AP Drugs, you can get 6 AP for the free turn.

Since Shield defense only works when you wield pistol/melee weapons, most would think rifles are out of the question.
    Well, that's not entirely accurate: there's no rule saying you can't shoot with rifle first, then switch back to pistol to enjoy the shield DT effect.

This is easily achievable if you have the Quick Reaction perk. Use the free turn to switch to the pistol.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    A few random thoughts:

- The rarest item in the wastes isn't guns or armor, it's glue. I went around the world map twice over, stopping every caravan, upturning every house, and revisiting every shop. It's just gone. I have no glue, and I must scream.

- The green circle indicator reflects in mirrors. So... this isn't strictly a UI feature. The green circle has a physical presence within the world and is visible to every in-game character, all of whom pretend not to notice it or the protagonist chasing it around like a cat with a laser pointer.

- The dog-fighting ring seemed like a new experience, but if memory serves there was one in Baldur's Gate 2. Bioware should bring it back for the new Dragon Age.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    First find some chickens then look for the eggs then crack em open and use white of the eggs for your gluing purposes. If any of this isn't in the game, its prolly oversight.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    You should just steal some glue off the Krasno Chamber of Commerce warehouse.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. AdolfSatan Learned

AdolfSatan
    One of the sellers at the stalls right in front of the ship in whatwasitcalled-town-with-the-ship stocks glue as well.

^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    I encountered scavengers that sell glue.

• nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    One of the cheap scrap guys in Krazno always has some.

^ Top  
  25. Sloul Learned

Sloul
    Just for the sake of saying it. I didn't see anything shocking there. On the contrary, this build looks fun. And whoever enjoy that, is pretty much enjoying the game. Thus, I would say, the game needs to favor this kind of build.
    Never nerf something good/funnny, but instead, try to brainstorm some other funny builds (while being mutually exclusive).
    And now, people who want to play kewl funny builds have different choices and can favor one or the other depending their taste/playstyle.
    As a bonus, add some very (VERY) hard, optional, parts to the game.
    Like in Deus Ex, where you can save JC's brother. At release, very few people knew it was possible to do that. The story was telling ''gtf out it's impossible to do that''.
    Personnally I favor strong characters/builds/abilities vs hard and very hard encounters, rather than dull stuff vs dull stuff.
    I favor AoD style, where you have hard encounters but can make some creative nice looking builds (like a shield/spear praetor), vs Wasteland 2 gameplay where everything is utter shit piling up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)