Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.4%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 263 45.6%

• Total voters
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader avatars

9rhxBN9.png
TuDSBNt.png
q2LtmKv.png
2nTz9hs.png
d8I38n9.png
hoStd9t.png
R0ccxgf.png
gkTUlmd.png
7L0W3ku.png
JcdaGJ6.png
CgrcFdO.png
lzMkutu.png
GBjAPxM.png
uIRdtGo.png
2vDAzwi.png
MlVtbY9.png
I6DUAeR.png
rUyFV4H.png
Gpgyqfi.png
k2k3NER.png
5huvBur.png
L9SpbWu.png

https://www.mediafire.com/?2y4yiz0z94st2yw
Any chance for these being added?

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, I'm thiniking about making Front Mission 3 avatars (from original game .tim images). Questions are:

1) Does anybody care?

2) Original size (63x80) inside a 96x96 transparent frame:

cWNxgUK.png

3) Resized (76*96) inside a 96x96 transparent frame:

5BuqnKt.png

:M

Baron Dupek

Arcane
spekkio
artstyle looks good so you have my seal of approval. And (3) is best (cause it's bigger).

Not sure if CB answer, last time was hueg Divinity:OS hype and may miss some signals like here.

spekkio

Arcane
BTW, the ones from Front Mission 2 would look like this (had to resize them from 64x112 to 69x96 + add transparency):

TPB9fC3.png

ITtHG0h.png

:M

BTW, 112x112 would've been even better, but I'm not sure if 'Dex' code can scale to their level...

xFig93V.png

mE6XIUh.png

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Hey, Crooked Bee - is 112x112 possible for avatards? They will be scaled down to 96x96 in forums, but shown in original res in User Profile?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, Crooked Bee - is 112x112 possible for avatards? They will be scaled down to 96x96 in forums, but shown in original res in User Profile?

Tbh I'd prefer 96x96 because the way xenforo downscales them is just ugh. Also being >96px could in theory lead to problems next time xenforo upgrades itself (because xf's fucked up).

Also, I should get around to adding all the new avatars ITT hopefully sometime soon.

Servo

Arcane
So the status on custom avatars is what, exactly?
there is a way. make your own game with avatars and request them to be added.

Commencing development on MST3K 3000: Teh RPG...

Edit: make that MSTK30000: The ACTION Game since it apparently doesn't have to be a RPG (Alpha Brotocol, anyone?)

Servo

Arcane
So the status on custom avatars is what, exactly?

You can donate (I think it was $10) and have your own custom avatar.

I'm pretty sure I've donated more than $10 worth of working hours to the codex so far, even though none of it has seen the interwebs. What I'm saying is I deserve one (although my snake avatar is pretty boss).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No. The next cRPG that FUCKING HAS a Serpent avatar (and it looks good) I'll use. Seriously, Larian. WTF?

Maybe Pillars of Eternity will at least have fucking Serpents..... :M

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No. The next cRPG that FUCKING HAS a Serpent avatar (and it looks good) I'll use. Seriously, Larian. WTF?

One would expect Serpent in the Staglands to have you know a serpent.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Ultima VII uses serpents :D

Naw. I finally said goodbye to the Ultima avatar, out of protest that Gariott has gone full retardo and now embraces the POP-A-MOLE as the future of RPG's. Screw him.

spekkio

Arcane
Crooked Bee

132 avatars from Front Mission 2 are ready:

https://www.mediafire.com/?alb4zzcgb9nmyec

They look mostly like this:

8v5yHIZ.jpg
Except black background (looks better due to reduced aliasing IMO) and transparent bars to make them 96x96.

This shit required some hard work. :(
Tutorial if someone is interested in making different / better ones:

1) Extract compressed .tim images from ZDATA.BIN, using PB Archives Extractor Tool.
2) Convert .tim images to .png images using Tim2View. Since it has problems with scanning directories which include already extracted .tim images, I simply packed all extracted .tims into one .zip file, using no compression (“store” setting in Winrar) and then used “scan file” option to find all .tims inside the archive and mass-convert them to .pngs.

Original .pngs look like this:

mlhHOAk.png

The portraits are 64x112 (0,57 aspect ratio):

2v2LZ3G.png

Which is IMO different than the one used in the game. The dude who uploaded FM2 sprites to VGResource site went with 80x112 res (0,71 AR). I’ve decided to use this AR as well (there’s no way of saying if it’s proper, without running the damn game on real hardware, using good old 4x3 CRT TV), resizing them to 69x96 (0,71 AR):

KLRgmJg.png

Now, the only thing left to do was to add two horizontal, transparent bars, to make the final file 96x96:

BXLtF1g.png

Multiply by 132 and you’re done.

:negative:

BTW, I went with “one avatar per character” rule (skipping images showing different emotions of one character), cuz’ I’m funny like that.

Now it’s time for FM3 avatars (~220).

:negative:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not that your work isn't appreciated, but to me the "aspect corrected" version looks both terrible and kind of unnatural.

The CSS for avatar display seems to have been set up for 96x150 being the maximum size, so there's not really any point to resizing them.
So I'd say just grab the originals, add 32px of transparency total, then call it a day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom