Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Avernum 4 review and interview with Vogel at GamerDad

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Spazmo, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Tags: Avernum 4; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<a href=http://www.gamerdad.com>GamerDad</a> <a href=http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3238>reviewed</a> Spiderweb Software's Avernum 4 (rating it <b>4.5/5</b> and noting "Open ended role playing game with over a hundred hours of gameplay, tons of freedom and loads of quests—and it isn’t Oblivion!") and also <a href=http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3251>interviewed</a> Jeff Vogel, designer guy at Spiderweb.<blockquote>GamerDad: You have been very successful with the Avernum and Geneforge worlds and have sequels to each game planned. Do you have other new ideas or directions or genres you plan to pursue in the future?
    <br>
    <br>
    Jeff Vogel: As a matter of fact, I do. I would love to write a fast-paced, humorous, more casual Paper Mario kind of game. At this point, it's something I'm sure I want to do. Someday.</blockquote>We'll that's kind of worrying, but I guess it's not the end of--<blockquote>GamerDad: What is your opinion of console and portable console gaming, and of the systems currently available and forthcoming? Do you have any of them in your house, or plan to in the future?
    <br>
    <br>
    Jeff Vogel: Pretty much every generation, I weigh all the alternatives, think very hard, and then end up buying a Nintendo. Everything else I want to play is on the PC, but Zelda is only there.
    <br>
    <br>
    I may get a 360 though, in case I try to write my casual role-playing game to go on Xbox live.</blockquote>Well now what the <i>fuck</i>?
    <br>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

^ Top  
  2. GhanBuriGhan Erudite

GhanBuriGhan
    What's a "paper-mario kind of game"???

^ Top  
  3. Fodel Novice

Fodel
    :lol:

PD Waiting Geneforge4 :D

^ Top  
  4. roguefrog Liturgist

roguefrog
    Yeah. Color me a PC gamer with ties to Nintendo too.

^ Top  
  5. FrancoTAU Liturgist

FrancoTAU
    A Paper Mario Clone would require that he creates a new game engine, therefore it won't happen.

^ Top  
  6. WouldBeCreator Scholar

WouldBeCreator
    Can't he just recycle the old one and throw in a few flattened Poser models? :)

^ Top  
  7. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "What's a "paper-mario kind of game"???"

IIRC, it's console RPG starring Mario (heh, duh!)...

Bah. He likes Oblivion. I weep for him. Not only does he make overrated games; he now ruins his good taste buds (he's a BIO fanboy like me :D ); he has to go enjoy the ES...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

^ Top  
  8. Awakened_Yeti Augur

Awakened_Yeti
    its called "making a living"

some people actually want to see money come from their work

when they dont have a multimillion dollar budget and a fortune 500 publisher to back them up, i think its a fairly admirable pursuit to try to "sell out"

not probable, but admirable

^ Top  
  9. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    People used to be able to make a living before and still create quality games.

^ Top  
  10. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    An admiriable pursuit? Admirable for me would be instead of selling out, you stick with the hardcore RPGs you've made and tough it out.

Interesting to note that Vogel is deathly afraid of changing his "magic" formula for GF and Avernum out of the fear that some changes cause some fans to leave, but he isn't afraid to make a brand new RPG that could alienate his entire fanbase.

^ Top  
  11. Astromarine Erudite

Astromarine
    doing a paper mario game in between avernum 8 and geneforge 23 would't cause any of his fans to stop buying those two games. that's the difference

^ Top  
  12. Awakened_Yeti Augur

Awakened_Yeti
    why should someone who creates "hardcore" games have to suffer in obscurity and poverty simply because some tiny fan base thinks its better that way? its such a bullshit self-absorbed kind of logic

tough it out - give me a fucking break... who gives a shit what some kind of spoiled RPG brat thinks? i hope the guy sells out just to spite your dumb ass

^ Top  
  13. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Well, if he didn't want to "suffer" in obscurity, he shouldn't have made indie turn-based RPGs in the first place, then.

And it's not like making a paper-mario clone is going to instantly break him out of obscurity.

^ Top  
  14. Saint_Proverbius Arcane Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    I don't think anyone who plays WoW, has multiple computer platforms(keeping up with Macs ain't cheap), lives in Seattle, etc. is exactly in poverty. He sells games for $25 and supposedly gets around 4,000 sales per game. At the release rate of one game per year, he's making $100,000 a year.

^ Top  
  15. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    Making a game just with the purpose of making money is risky. You better have some good quality criterias for making a game and don't compromise it with bullshit ideas. There is a lot of bullshit floating around about how to do a game for casual gamers. Unless you know very well what you are doing or have Bethesda and Pete behind to hype your game you will end up geting screwed and missing your old fanbase.

^ Top  
  16. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    He has a team I'm figuring he is paying.

^ Top  
  17. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    A crappy game with a beloved character so it makes $$$$

^ Top  
  18. WouldBeCreator Scholar

WouldBeCreator
    Nah, the "team's" just his wife and some other lady. The art and sound assets are purchased on contract and given how incredibly low quality they are, I assume they're bought awfully cheap.

^ Top  
  19. Falcore19 Novice

Falcore19
    Every generation? How about the N64 generation?

Anyway, can someone tell me if this Avernum 4 game is new? I remember they had many Avernums then the last one in the series was blade of Avernum I think, so is Avernum 4 the sequel to that? If so is it good?

^ Top  
  20. Saint_Proverbius Arcane Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    Avernum 4 is interesting, I'll give it that. It's basically Avernum 1-3 with interface improvements taken from Geneforge and a tweaked combat system.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)