Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Avernum 6 Details

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Jason, May 22, 2009.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Tags: Avernum 6; Spiderweb Software

Indie RPG big man on campus <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=187">Jeff Vogel</a> would like you to know a <a href="http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=169744&#Post169744" target="blank">few things about Avernum 6</a>.
    <br>
    <blockquote>* Every graphic has been redone. All of the icons will be anti-aliased and have shadows, which makes the game look much nicer. It's the prettiest game we've ever done.
    <br>
    <br>
    *I will use and expand upon all interface improvements from Geneforge 5. Being able to play in a window, play at any resolution, etc.
    <br>
    <br>
    * The buffing system will be very similar to Geneforge 5. Haste is weaker now, and you can have fewer buffs overall. Haste potions will be full double actions, though, the sort from the older games.
    <br>
    <br>
    * A bunch of game and system improvements. Dual-wielding weapons is back. The world map will be much more useful, as will quest destination marks on your map. You can see full information about items by mousing over them. (Finally!)
    <br>
    <br>
    * My favorite trio of wizards, Solberg, Lark, and Gladwell, return. As does X. And many other familiar faces.
    <br>
    <br>
    * The game takes place in Avernum. The old Avernum. But, for the first time, you start in the Great Cave.
    <br>
    <br>
    * The final fate of Avernum, it turns out, is something I've been foreshadowing since Exile 2.
    <br>
    <br>
    * Anama, no. Skribbane, yes. And yes, the first hit is free.</blockquote><br>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPG Watch</A>

^ Top  
  2. Lurkar Scholar

Lurkar
    Count em as excited. One o the things I disliked about Avernum 5 was the lack of familiarity from the previous games. It felt more like a spin off then a sequel.

^ Top  
  3. spacemoose Erudite

spacemoose
    I wish he'd go back to the exile engine

it looked nice, and was just abstract enough to let my mind fill in the gaps

^ Top  
  4. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    i hope "every graphic has been redone" means new PC portraits. there's only a few of those and i really don't get why the games got stuck with the same art (for the portraits) that looked like they were drawn by kids. please no more black guy in purple tights or sliths in chalecos.

^ Top  
  5. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    I did find it funny that Vogel made the effort to be politically correct with regards to skin color for the character avatars.

Anyhow look forward to a new avernum as usual. I was diasppointed by avernum 5, hope this one is better.

^ Top  
  6. Korgan Arbiter

Korgan
    A1-A3 engine was the best. The new one is tolerable for Geneforge, but it ruined Avernum for me.

^ Top  
  7. Durwyn Prophet

Durwyn
    Motherfucking Geneforge V won't install for me. The installer is somehow fucked up on my rig and it hangs up at the beggining of instalation. Anybody had simmiliar problem ?

^ Top  
  8. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Why don't you download it again? Its not like its a giant file or anything.

^ Top  
  9. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Blackadder
    Have to agree that I found the Exile engine to be the best, but I won't say no to another outing in Exile/Avernum.

^ Top  
  10. NotAnAlt Educated

NotAnAlt
    Will it have a walking animation?

^ Top  
  11. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Consider me interested. His last Avernum games have been steady improvements and while the setting is almost milked dry, it somehow keeps appealing. Am looking forward to the ending of the saga.

^ Top  
  12. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    Crap I hope so.

If he would add that and make the walls a little less blocky looking I could probably play this series again.

Im not a graphics whore, but these games do need a little upgrade.

^ Top  
  13. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I couldn't get into the Avernum games after playing the hell out of the Exile games. The Avernum games have a smaller party size and less difficult combat.

How were the recent ones?

^ Top  
  14. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    I say skip 4 and try the demo of 5. Avernum 4 is just a grindfest with shitloads of tiresome combat - and it's the first in the av series to transfer into the geneforge engine, and suffers from extremely bland graphics as a result. I also consider the plot in Av 4 to be the worst in the whole series.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)