Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Awesome crpg

Anonymous

Hi Wolf !
I am from spain (sorry for my english) and i have played your demo so far.
I am trying to create my own little crpg.
The basic code is already done.Now i have to
draw some grafx to make it a little more shinier.
In your game i saw the river flowting and i really like the way of your water animation.How did you realize this ???

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hello, well, that's a 12 phase animation, with each phase being only slightly different in relation to its predecessor, and, of course, there are several hundred different tiles in order to reflect all possible directions, and a couple of variations for each of these. It has been pretty difficult (and expensive) to reach that natural look.

As to your RPG, creating CRPGs is an awful lot of work, isn't it - I wish you good luck with your endeavor!

And if anyone has any more suggestions for improvements you'd like to see added to Teudogar, please do keep posting...

Anonymous

This is *really* out of left field, but I've often wondered if NPC's in CRPG's could include some aspect of 'intelligence'. How many times would you allow someone in real life to ask you the same thing over and over again before you tell them to fuck off?

so - remember the old Ultimas? Obviously you'd have your dialog trees, but then you could enter text. What if that text actually gave the impression that you were talking to someone?

Take for example -

http://www.elbot.com/

Applying something like that to even a handful of NPC throughout a game would be fantastic! I can see 'localized versions' - eg: a grumpy Elbot, a happy Elbot, a insane elbot. (Btw: I'm only using Elbot as the example, as he is *very* coherent. There are other already exisiting freeware Chatterbots out there that might be grafted into a game?)

I know this is *huge* ask and probably more applicable to your fantasy RPG, but damn...it's a sweet idea ;-)

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hello Guest, and sorry for my delay in replying (I've been away over the weekend).

I'm not sure if the Chatterbot-approach is really superior from a gameplay perspective. While they can show nature-like reactions to your comments, in my opinion they still don't have much to say, i.e., you can go through the motions of talking with them, and you get some impression of their "personality", but on the whole, I found the conversation I had with "Elbot" pretty futile and useless.

Admittedly, a Chatterbot's main strength is its ability to talk about really everything - but would most gamers actually want that? I've already received complaints about there being too much text in Teudogar. A significant number of gamers seems to prefer action over conversation. So maybe it's not a bad idea to keep topics and dialogue lengths limited.

Of course, within these (quantitative) limits, conversation must feel natural. And I think Teudogar does a comparatively good job there. People have a pretty clear recognition of their surroundings, of what happens in their community, of themselves, and of yourself, and of how others feel about you. People greet you differently once they've made your acquaintance; and their language becomes more familiar once you become friends. People comment on recent news. Merchants notice when your equipment is damaged and offer to repair this particular thing, or notice you're lacking a particular item, and offer exactly that item to you. Slaves are aware of what their masters think about you, and will treat you accordingly. People who can heal comment on your health. Your slave notices when you've been away for a longer period of time, and greets you accordingly. Robbers are aware of what kind of armor you're wearing, and will only demand what you have. People will comment on your weapon. Henchmen can tell you where their lord is (in the hall, outside, in his house etc). Ortwin can tell in what chest his gold is, and will comment when it's been stolen. When you're carrying too many things with you, Thoralf will offer you one of the empty boxes in his hall to store your things in. Osmund will warn you if you're about to set out for combat without sufficient armor, and will tell you what exactly he thinks you're lacking (weapon, shield, armor etc). People are aware of the time of day and can refer to it. Craftsmen are aware of whether or not their set of tools is within reach, and will tell you they can't do a repair right now if it isn't. Etc etc.

So I think Chatterbots wouldn't be much of an improvement in regard to giving you the feeling of talking to persons with real intelligence. And regarding content and atmosphere, in my opinion they would even be detrimental.

However, that doesn't speak against including _some_ of them here and there, especially within a Fantasy RPG. That might indeed be fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

And if anyone has any more thoughts or comments on dialogues, text quantity and quality, artificial intelligence, or suggestions for improvements you'd like to see added to Teudogar, please do keep posting...

Anonymous

Suggestions

Will you have your own house in Darghul ? I thought it was really cool how you could. If you do I think you should be able to buy furniture,slaves,get wives,etc. that work for u.
If you can have slaves then they should make use of new furniture you bring in.
And it's been suggested before but have un option to keep playing after the end of the game. Oh and there were a lot of things you never really need such as potions (that had mad effects but there weren't enough place and people to use them on), sickle?,amber,fabric was fairly useless since you cant find spindles (all mad features that made the game that little bit better but never really needed to be used).

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hi RonX, thanks for your suggestions! As the release date of DARGHUL draws closer, the number of things I can still implement in this release is shrinking. But I'll add most of the features discussed in this forum bit by bit - some minor stuff when I release updates (as usual, I'll make update patches available for owners of Full Versions; and Demo Versions can be updated using the latest Demo Version; of course, in both cases, all saved games remain usable), and more major additions in DARGHUL II or Teudogar II. My sincere thanks to all who've helped me with their feedback!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom