Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quatlo

Arcane
As a person not living in western country, I don't think I will never understand about the issue people have about one character being shit.
I mean, if the whole game reeks of SJW/pollitical agenda or something I think it is a valid point to be angry. But one NPC? Let's just agree that it is shit writing and move on.

To be fair, the writer attitude doesn't really help. Instead of being polite and using rational argument on her stance, her response basically boils down to "Don't like what I am writing? Fuck yourself." Blemishing a known and loved franchise might not be the smartest idea either.
But on the other hand , the reverse SJW is acting like a SJW would is as annoying.

SJW: DAT CHARACTER TOO SEXY! WOMAN AS SEX SYMBOL! NO GAY/BI? ANTI LGBT/HOMOPHOBIC! POLITICAL CONTENT? GAMING NOT SAFE PLACE!

Reverse SJW: A SHIT WRITTEN GAY CHARACTER IN MY GAME? SJW PROPAGANDA SJW PROPAGANDA! POLITICAL CORRECTNESS? SJW IS RUINING GAMING!

EDIT: God, the whole Gamer Gate thing was silly and fuck both side that make such simple issue overblown.
Did you even read the thread? The whole first chapter is a hamfisted commentary and preaching about refugee crisis.
They stole my fucking milion gold pieces, almost kiling a man in the process and they try to explain it as "Others need it more than you lel ;^)"
Thank god Mr. Fireball was there to defuse the situation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Addition to the tranny, the game reeks from 'strong independent womyn who are also ugly" -syndrome.

Which womyn are you talking about? I thought this was the game where they made sexpot rogue Safana a major character

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a person not living in western country, I don't think I will never understand about the issue people have about one character being shit.
I mean, if the whole game reeks of SJW/pollitical agenda or something I think it is a valid point to be angry. But one NPC? Let's just agree that it is shit writing and move on.

To be fair, the writer attitude doesn't really help. Instead of being polite and using rational argument on her stance, her response basically boils down to "Don't like what I am writing? Fuck yourself." Blemishing a known and loved franchise might not be the smartest idea either.
But on the other hand , the reverse SJW is acting like a SJW would is as annoying.

SJW: DAT CHARACTER TOO SEXY! WOMAN AS SEX SYMBOL! NO GAY/BI? ANTI LGBT/HOMOPHOBIC! POLITICAL CONTENT? GAMING NOT SAFE PLACE!

Reverse SJW: A SHIT WRITTEN GAY CHARACTER IN MY GAME? SJW PROPAGANDA SJW PROPAGANDA! POLITICAL CORRECTNESS? SJW IS RUINING GAMING!

EDIT: God, the whole Gamer Gate thing was silly and fuck both side that make such simple issue overblown.
Did you even read the thread? The whole first chapter is a hamfisted commentary and preaching about refugee crisis.
They stole my fucking milion gold pieces, almost kiling a man in the process and they try to explain it as "Others need it more than you lel ;^)"

The situation with the refugees that stole your gold is another prime example of the game preaching.

The game heavily pushes the option of you just letting them go free. If you want to either murder the thieves, or get them to hand themselves in (can't even forcibly arrest them), you have to push through a lot of the dialogue tree before the options even appear.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That was not the social commentary, or not anymore than any other in other games. You are just inserting drama where there isn't any. The game let you murder them afterall.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

No, because up to page 20 it was about people bitching about a tranny and I am not in the mood of reading another 20 of that.

And as a person not living in the west, as I said, I couldn't comprehend the overblown reactions some people have regarding these kind of issues.

If there is a game that have the first act basically a commentary on how Merkel is a fucking idiot for supporting refugee would yoy be as angry as now? Most people that cry SJW SJW SJW would be silent and say "Heh good joke, Markel is indeed an idiot" while the SJW will cry ANTI REFUGEE ANTI REFUGEE ANTI REFUGEE. People will most likely bitch about anything they do not personally agree in. It is not about SJW ruining gaming. It is left and right side ideology calling each other out.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The situation with the refugees that stole your gold is another prime example of the game preaching.

The game heavily pushes the option of you just letting them go free. If you want to either murder the thieves, or get them to hand themselves in (can't even forcibly arrest them), you have to push through a lot of the dialogue tree before the options even appear.
Dear god, you people are such Tryhards. Too many dialogue options are now a problem? WTF?!?!
I think you are all just a group of fags that are jerking off each other in same room while posting stupid drama here because that is only thing that will make you rise.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

Doktor Best

Arcane
Didnt Age of Decadence have a very similar quest? The one you take a job to protect a merchant and then some hobos come in and tell you how much they need the money to feed the poor?

As long as you are given the choice to act contrary to those peoples arguments or beliefs i am totally fine with it. The thing that bothers me the most about the tranny is that you cant tell her straight to the face that you are not interested in her sexual backstory and call her out for sharing it with a strangers so blatantly.

No, the actual only response you can give is "cool story bro" or not giving a reaction at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
72926.jpg

:hmmm:

This thread is getting p. stupid

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I think they are definitely try-harding on the refugee crisis thing. You can certainly make your own stance clear (telling them they are scum of the earth). I didn't feel like I was forced to love them.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As long as you are given the choice to act contrary to those peoples arguments or beliefs i am totally fine with it. The thing that bothers me the most about the tranny is that you cant tell her straight to the face that you are not interested in her sexual backstory and call her out for sharing it with a strangers so blatantly.

I agree regarding the tranny. If they had added an option to act in either disgust or disinterest, it wouldn't have been so bad.

pippin

Armored warriors with long hair trigger me. It's like they don't realize hair can get entangled or the enemy can pull it. Besides her head looks too big and the armor looks like regular clothes. 1/10 would not hire tumblr artist again.

pippin

I agree regarding the tranny. If they had added an option to act in either disgust or disinterest, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Which is weird because in the original EEs, you had those kind of reactions available for you in many situations.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Which is weird because in the original EEs, you had those kind of reactions available for you in many situations.

Can't have the players doing something which goes against the writer's personal views.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
We pretty quickly identified a thread on the KotakuInAction subreddit where they were discussing ways to disrupt the community. There's also a thread on RPGCodex designed with a similar purpose.

Change the thread name to "Disrupting the Release."

It was actually hearts, since it's a Steam forum. :troll:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50396/3-6-10-on-metacritic-spoilers/p2

QA Tester has a melt down. Says he doesn't wanna "get into this" then proceeds to get into this.

QA Tester for Beamdog said:
@dlux While I'm not going to get into this, I'd love it if we could stop referring to it as "content" and refer to it as it really is: A single (couple?) line(s) in a single dialog within the scope of a 50 hour game.

Almost all of this conversation seems to be coming from a perspective that half of the game revolves around LGBTQ content.

Not to pick on you specifically (these exact words have been said many times) but "shoehorn in politics and agendas" gets a little hard to swallow....I'd love to hear a justification for how the amount of LGBTQ content within SoD equates to an agenda or political position.

The fact that a Transgender character exists somewhere within the Universe of the Forgotten Realms is somehow what? A surprise? A mystery? An abomination?

Why is a story teller not allowed to make a character within that story Transgender? Did I miss something? We've given the main PC player character the ability to pursue a relationship with something close to 15 different characters through three games, and many of those relationships are same sex relationships...and a minor NPC Character stating a handful of lines about being Transgender is as if we hired the anti-christ himself to write for us?

Did the writers perhaps go off on tangents somehow and somewhere in a dialog I've not seen about how the character is unaccepted and how horrible the realms treat people like that, and how we should all be nicer to LGBTQ People?

A little perspective here:
A Single post in ANY Thread talking about this part of the game has MORE LGBTQ CONTENT in it than the ENTIRE SOD GAME DOES.

I personally don't really care what your motivation is or your opinion on that content, you're entitled to whatever opinion you carry. I just find it utterly absurd that in 50 hours of game play we're holding 30 and 50 page discussions and spawning thread after thread after thread of arguments and hate over what amounts to somewhere around 1/10000'th of the content of the game?

This is nothing more than "THERE'S A WORD MISSPELLED OMG THE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE!!! OMG!!!" all over again.

Another little perspective here:
Identifying a few lines of text in a 30-50 hour video game as a political statement or a political agenda might be taking things a little far.

QA Tester for Beam Dog said:
@Joluv And this will be the first and last place I do so. I'm not getting into the main thread, and I'm not continuing the commentary. I'm here to help people solve problems with their games and to provide both story support and feedback.

I'm also here to help pass constructive criticism up the chain and answer questions.

That said, I also have a hard time hearing how horrible a game I've spent the last year helping to QA test is because a minor character in a minor zone happens to have been made slightly less zombie-like Grey NPC with no flavor and no background by being called Transgender in a few lines of text.

If anyone here or anyone anywhere else wants to read what I've posted and give a second thought to why we're all going off at a hundred miles an hour over what amounts to a rock in the ocean, so be it. If not then there's nothing anyone's going to say one way or the other to make any real difference. This is all just so much noise...my post included.

Have no fear, I'm sure the gaming industry will eventually learn it's lesson and make ONLY the 250th copy of League of Legands and the 999th version of Call of Duty because those will be the "safe" bet.

Real stories told by real people with creative ideas will assuredly be put down by the masses so they can sit in their ivory towers and pretend their world view is exactly as they wish it to be.

At first attempts are made to be impartial but slowly things become more and more ~Problematic~ and the blame game begins...

QA Tester said:
Beamdog is relatively small company with passion and interest in bringing games that most of the world has forgotten about back into the limelight. They, we, *I* believe that these games surpass in content, in thought, in ability, in execution and in what makes an RPG an RPG much of what is being produced today. Name another game that was considered better that PS:T in story or BG2 in story execution and game play and the date it was released....then pick which of those games you honestly believe will hold that title for as long as BG2 or PS:T did.

While you may be right about your concept that no one looks at metacritic before buying a game, we're not Bioware, we're not EA Games, we're not Blizzard Entertainment. The difference between a 20 million dollar release and a 20 million dollar release short a couple thousand bucks for the one off people who happened to not realize Video game reviews are about as useful as t**s on a boar is pretty small.

When you're talking about thousands of players and and buyers, that thousand bucks for the one off people gets a bit more problematic.

It's also tough to watch people lambast your hard work without feeling a need to step in and say something...which is the only reason I responded to anything in any of the God forsaken "review" threads.

I'm going back to helping users and try my damndest to stay away from the discussion topics. As someone who put a year of effort into this game, to tell you that what I'm reading now is...disheartening...would be an understatement.

I can't imagine how the president of the company might feel.

@deltago

No, it's not my first day on the internet. I had rather hoped this small community of game lovers might be a little less 4 chan and a little more...I don't know...humane?

Maybe I had forgotten in my time away from posting that the forums here are no different than anywhere else around the internet. That anywhere on the internet there will always be a mass of opinions and the loudest of those will always be the most controversial.

EDIT

Could it be? Is Dee Back Pedalling? :smug:

Dee said:
In all fairness, I've definitely stopped playing a game before because of one bad moment. In Assassin's Creed Unity, for example, it was getting stuck in a hay bale that made me give up on finishing the story.

I can see people getting upset by one line and refusing to go any further, although it's an unfortunate reaction to have.

I will say--and I wasn't on the writing team for the game's dialogue--that Minsc's rare selection line doesn't read to me as an insult to GamerGate. It strikes me as being on the same level as Khalid's "MWEH HEH HEH--um, yes?" line: it's a rare moment of lucidity where we get to peek behind the curtain of the character's outward personality and hear their inner thoughts. If anything, it's Jim Cummings's reading of it that makes it sound directed, but again, that awareness is coming from my knowledge of the real-world context, and that may be knowledge that Jim doesn't share.

Does that mean the line is appropriate? That's not for me to say. Clearly it's offended some of the members of GamerGate (maybe more than some). It's up to each player to decide for themselves how they feel about the game's content.

Do I think it merits a campaign of negative reviews, or a coordinated attack on the Beamdog community? No. But that is precisely what is happening here. Maybe not everyone who's reacting the way they are is coming from the KotakuInAction subreddit, but that group is certainly the one driving the narrative.

So bear that in mind. And if you want to "fight back" against the narrative...talk about the game. Talk about the things that you liked, or the things that you wish could be better. Write a bug report. Write a feature request. Discuss your latest mod setup--or discuss your frustration at the Steam version's inability to handle mods.

Do what this community is best at, in other words: being a community.

Doesn't read as an insult to GamerGate.. LOL How desperate are they at this point?

He's not even trying to say it was a friendly joke.. He's trying to say it had -nothing- to do with GamerGate.. it's minsc's character personality.

Are you fucking kidding? I can see the tread marks of that back pedalling.

Last edited:

Space Insect

Arcane
At this point, I find the dev response both of Amber shitting on the original BG and then saying "fuck you" to their entire customer base and Trent then begging people to review his game positively as more disgusting than anything with the tranny in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom