Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mastroego

Arcane
Apparently there's even a ra(pe)fugee quest.
:hahano:
Holy shit.

Mortmal

Arcane
At this point, I find the dev response both of Amber shitting on the original BG and then saying "fuck you" to their entire customer base and Trent then begging people to review his game positively as more disgusting than anything with the tranny in the game.
Yes , there's something they dont get right, baldur's gate being sexist ? we dont want to do anything like that?.. I was really surprised by that kind of answer too. I genuinely cant remember anything sexist about BG, we are far from 60's fantasy with bikini chainmail amazon warrior, and gorean stuff.
And even , even if that would be the case, we are the customers, if we want something like the old baldur's gate, we better get it. Thats how free market is working, they should be sucking our cocks ,trying their best to cater to our needs and sell their product , not enforcing their views and what they like.

tripedal

Augur
kvc6AUi.png

What the fuck.

Neanderthal

Arcane
QA Tester said:
Beamdog is relatively small company with passion and interest in bringing games that most of the world has forgotten about back into the limelight. They, we, *I* believe that these games surpass in content, in thought, in ability, in execution and in what makes an RPG an RPG much of what is being produced today. Name another game that was considered better that PS:T in story or BG2 in story execution and game play and the date it was released....then pick which of those games you honestly believe will hold that title for as long as BG2 or PS:T did.

Ultima VII was better wi technically, feature, reactvity, setting, NPC, system and thematic wise than BG series, still is an still holds that crown. An released eight years afore it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
:D 13 pages of user reviews in GOG. Most of them :1/5:.
Here is one example
Trannys Gate: The Siege of Bumdong by
3423122a846c15cc454abb862ef3ddf22624ebb8073c84cb583d682ffcbf5ec1_avm.jpg
InvisibleJim
Piss poor writing:I feel sorry for the transvestite character in the game.> Be born a man into a medieval fantasy universe > Be warped by a crap writer into a tranny that doesn't fit the lore > Crap writer makes you blurt out a ludicrous sex change story to the player on first meeting: Virtue signalling to the max > Gamers make videos of gibbing you and post them to youtube for laughs > Game sales plummet as gamers sick and tired of SJW politics being shoehorned into games > Attempt the soggy-knees, her-ass-mint defence > It's ineffective: Kraptaku is dead > Rip Bumdong :) > Rip Baldur's Gates IP :(Other antagnoistic SJW politics as stated by the Writer 'Amber Scott' to infamously corrupt journalist Nathan Grayson on Kotaku (https://archive.is/YyB1Z):"“If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”1) Jaheira now 100% less 'nagging wife' because muh stair-e-oh-types 2) Safana now 100% less empowered because muh sex object 3) Minsc now yells 'It's about ethics in heroic adventuring!!' because.... ??? 4) Welcome your first gay companion and your first bisexual companions... because... reasons??If you're going to add SJW content to a game then at least make the writing quality at least borderline decent and not antagonistic towards your customer base.Technically flawed:The game is unplayable in multiplayer. The game has a new crappy AI. The game is an update to an old engine which has broken all mod support causing dialogue errors and worse There are bugs in the content.In summary:Take my advice, and just play one of the big content mods. They are thousand times better than this buggy, twilight fan fic level "expansion".
Apr 4, 2016 | Thanks for your vote! (245 of 338 users found this helpful)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Apologies for distracting from the transgender/refugee wankfest, but here's a spoiler-heavy criticism of the endgame:

So the final boss is Belhifet, the main antagonist of the icewind dale series. An enemy that you face at around level 15-18 in that game. You are expecting me to believe that a level 8-9 noobie adventurer took down a powerful named devil on his home plane thus killing him permanently when you barely defeat him with a party of mid-high level adventurers in IWD.

And yes the two games are connected because they specifically reference Belhifet and the Crenshinibon incident in one of the cutscenes in siege of dragonspear. So the events here took place long after IWD happened. Yet here they make Belhifet into some kind of low level encounter which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The analogy equivalent of what happened here would be a beggar killing a dragon with a pebble. Because that's what it is. Gameplay-wise Belhifet can't even be hit by anything less than +3 weapons. What this means story-wise is that Belhifet is immune to anything but the most powerful of enchanted weaponry, which you can't even get up to this point. Yet the hero somehow kills him in the middle of his stronghold in Baator with what may as well be a plastic butter knife.

The entire crusade is actually pretty Lol because going by the existing lore, they would have been shredded as soon as they walked into Avernus, nevermind making it all the way to Belhifet. If people like halaster and the chosen of mystra who are all epic level characters couldn't stay in Avernus for long without either getting wrecked or being forced to retreat ie. the Elminster in hell series, then an army of low level conscripted soldiers are just going to fall over as soon as they enter the portal.

Secondly if my character were sooo strong to the point that I was able to defeat Belhifet in a direct confrontation like this then I am going to assume that its because I have hidden damage type modifiers as a half god bhaalspawn. Thus I am going to assume that because the available weapons in bg1 are all +2 or less, my hands therefore must be enchanted +3 vorpal god hands to bypass the damage reduction Belhifet SHOULD have had as a devil more powerful than a pitfiend. Therefore my character basically ripped Belhifet apart with his bare hands because what should have happened otherwise had the writing been any good and consistant at all, was that Belhifet should have one shot the hero the same way he one shots Caelar with a flamestrike in one of the possible cutscenes.

If the hero were so strong and was able to march into hell at level 8-9 and kill Belhifet within his own stronghold with his bare hands how did I get kidnapped later by a bunch of low level assassins hired by Irenicus in the middle of the woods?

Speaking from a storytelling point of view, if I could defeat Belhifet in a direct confrontation, that means I should be powerful enough to be able to defeat anything below cornugon level at any time no matter how tired I am. So some random assassins that set up a trap/ambush should still be a cakewalk even if my character were "tired" after running through the woods after being exiled from Baldur's gate.

In fact if my character could defeat belhifet that basically puts him on the level where he should be able to defeat Irenicus already as well. Some random mooks should fall over the moment I look in their general direction. This isn't even taking game stats into consideration. If you look at it from a story perspective mid to high level adventurers are basically superheroes. They literally won't die from things like getting their throat slit as depicted in novels, and can basically cleave down legions of lesser enemies if they wanted to. Things like low level traps and poison are also completely brushed aside because of their superior resistances or magic items. If the hero were as strong as these high level adventurers and he must be or how did he defeat Belhifet? then getting kidnapped by mooks is something that could never ever have happened.

My point is that throwing Belhifet into the game creates a massive plot hole. The character should NOT have been strong enough to defeat Belhifet. The hero is a low level adventurer whose biggest kill so far is Sarevok Ie. another low level human. He shouldn't be able to suddenly kill an Belhifet much less a pit fiend especially one that is sitting in his castle in hell.

However because he DID do so, then this establishes that the hero is in fact on par with many other high level adventurers, who are basically superhuman. It makes his capture at the end of the game by hired mooks make no sense at all. It is simply impossible and anyone who is considered high level should be able to cleave these people down no matter how tired they are, gameplaywise, and storywise.

For example if lets say grandmaster kane or gareth dragonsbane got a little tired because they ran through the woods too much do you seriously think that an ambush set up by low level hired mercenaries would even phase them? of course not. Has Everis Cale another relatively high level adventurer ever been brought down by some silly ambush by low level mooks? Nope. Then we have Elminster who killed some mid level named devils like Marane the Hungry while he was nearly dead, had only 1 arm left, and no spells left, while crawling around naked in Avernus, while getting his thoughts stolen by Nurgle at the same time.

Basically by using Belhifet as an mandatory encounter and having the hero win in a direct confrontation, the devs set the Hero's power level at a point much much higher than it should be. This makes the rest of the story where the hero gets captured and experimented on by Irenicus make no sense at all because by defeating Belhifet, storywise the hero should have been powerful enough to defeat these villains without any effort and as such he never should have been captured to begin with.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...f-cameos-resulting-in-major-plotholes-spoiler

Murk

Arcane
I'm only on page 37 of this wonderful thread but I wanted to drop in and post that BG original already had a bi-sexual character/pop-culture reference, Peter North who was growing 'subterrenean trees' in a cave filled with wyverns. He attacks you with a pole arm.

MY INN IS AS CLEAN AS AN ELVEN ARSE etc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I love the fact that they can't seem to grasp what we are criticizing regarding the "LGBT "content"".

Space Insect

Arcane
Apologies for distracting from the transgender/refugee wankfest, but here's a spoiler-heavy criticism of the endgame:

So the final boss is Belhifet, the main antagonist of the icewind dale series. An enemy that you face at around level 15-18 in that game. You are expecting me to believe that a level 8-9 noobie adventurer took down a powerful named devil on his home plane thus killing him permanently when you barely defeat him with a party of mid-high level adventurers in IWD.

And yes the two games are connected because they specifically reference Belhifet and the Crenshinibon incident in one of the cutscenes in siege of dragonspear. So the events here took place long after IWD happened. Yet here they make Belhifet into some kind of low level encounter which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The analogy equivalent of what happened here would be a beggar killing a dragon with a pebble. Because that's what it is. Gameplay-wise Belhifet can't even be hit by anything less than +3 weapons. What this means story-wise is that Belhifet is immune to anything but the most powerful of enchanted weaponry, which you can't even get up to this point. Yet the hero somehow kills him in the middle of his stronghold in Baator with what may as well be a plastic butter knife.

The entire crusade is actually pretty Lol because going by the existing lore, they would have been shredded as soon as they walked into Avernus, nevermind making it all the way to Belhifet. If people like halaster and the chosen of mystra who are all epic level characters couldn't stay in Avernus for long without either getting wrecked or being forced to retreat ie. the Elminster in hell series, then an army of low level conscripted soldiers are just going to fall over as soon as they enter the portal.

Secondly if my character were sooo strong to the point that I was able to defeat Belhifet in a direct confrontation like this then I am going to assume that its because I have hidden damage type modifiers as a half god bhaalspawn. Thus I am going to assume that because the available weapons in bg1 are all +2 or less, my hands therefore must be enchanted +3 vorpal god hands to bypass the damage reduction Belhifet SHOULD have had as a devil more powerful than a pitfiend. Therefore my character basically ripped Belhifet apart with his bare hands because what should have happened otherwise had the writing been any good and consistant at all, was that Belhifet should have one shot the hero the same way he one shots Caelar with a flamestrike in one of the possible cutscenes.

If the hero were so strong and was able to march into hell at level 8-9 and kill Belhifet within his own stronghold with his bare hands how did I get kidnapped later by a bunch of low level assassins hired by Irenicus in the middle of the woods?
Speaking from a storytelling point of view, if I could defeat Belhifet in a direct confrontation, that means I should be powerful enough to be able to defeat anything below cornugon level at any time no matter how tired I am. So some random assassins that set up a trap/ambush should still be a cakewalk even if my character were "tired" after running through the woods after being exiled from Baldur's gate.

In fact if my character could defeat belhifet that basically puts him on the level where he should be able to defeat Irenicus already as well. Some random mooks should fall over the moment I look in their general direction. This isn't even taking game stats into consideration. If you look at it from a story perspective mid to high level adventurers are basically superheroes. They literally won't die from things like getting their throat slit as depicted in novels, and can basically cleave down legions of lesser enemies if they wanted to. Things like low level traps and poison are also completely brushed aside because of their superior resistances or magic items. If the hero were as strong as these high level adventurers and he must be or how did he defeat Belhifet? then getting kidnapped by mooks is something that could never ever have happened.

My point is that throwing Belhifet into the game creates a massive plot hole. The character should NOT have been strong enough to defeat Belhifet. The hero is a low level adventurer whose biggest kill so far is Sarevok Ie. another low level human. He shouldn't be able to suddenly kill an Belhifet much less a pit fiend especially one that is sitting in his castle in hell.

However because he DID do so, then this establishes that the hero is in fact on par with many other high level adventurers, who are basically superhuman. It makes his capture at the end of the game by hired mooks make no sense at all. It is simply impossible and anyone who is considered high level should be able to cleave these people down no matter how tired they are, gameplaywise, and storywise.

For example if lets say grandmaster kane or gareth dragonsbane got a little tired because they ran through the woods too much do you seriously think that an ambush set up by low level hired mercenaries would even phase them? of course not. Has Everis Cale another relatively high level adventurer ever been brought down by some silly ambush by low level mooks? Nope. Then we have Elminster who killed some mid level named devils like Marane the Hungry while he was nearly dead, had only 1 arm left, and no spells left, while crawling around naked in Avernus, while getting his thoughts stolen by Nurgle at the same time.

Basically by using Belhifet as an mandatory encounter and having the hero win in a direct confrontation, the devs set the Hero's power level at a point much much higher than it should be. This makes the rest of the story where the hero gets captured and experimented on by Irenicus make no sense at all because by defeating Belhifet, storywise the hero should have been powerful enough to defeat these villains without any effort and as such he never should have been captured to begin with.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...f-cameos-resulting-in-major-plotholes-spoiler
WTF!!! Beamdog has no clue about lore!

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm only on page 37 of this wonderful thread but I wanted to drop in and post that BG original already had a bi-sexual character/pop-culture reference, Peter North who was growing 'subterrenean trees' in a cave filled with wyverns. He attacks you with a pole arm.

Common sense and brains has left this topic long ago. Now only a circlejerk vs a game that cannot defend itself is left. And by people that didn't even play it.

Murk

Arcane

Common sense and brains has left this topic long ago. Now only a circlejerk vs a game that cannot defend itself is left. And by people that didn't even play it.

I didn't play the DLC either, I briefly "sampled" EE and thought the new stuff was shit so I avoided it like the plague.

But then BG was never a sacred game to me. Now, had they corrupted IWD then I'd grab the torches n pitchforks. Long story short, I'm glad beamdog fucked up and I hope they go out of business but also BG is kinda poop anyway.

Neanderthal

Arcane

You're shittin me, really thats best they can do? Fuck me sideways!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Well well...Looks like I got my answer, BG:SOD does actually provide more entertainment value than Pillows of Eternity.

:troll:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Good thing I found this thread, you guys!

My little brother was looking at the game and since he liked BG back in the day wondered about getting it and I said NO!

I've no idea how I would explain to him all the crap that was put into this game. For now I merely told him that the multiplayer doesn't work. I mean.. I'm like, his big sister and he looks up to me in a way, but.. this might've scarred him for life.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless your brother is retarded enough to care of SJW vs anti-SJW and barring him having a high standard for video game I think he would like it just fine.

Murk

Arcane

Eh, I never took that line as a blunt sexual reference, but as a way to mock elves, since they are traditionally uptight, arrogant and refined.

Same here, it's just so stupid and hamfisted* (albeit one that does make me chuckle), I meant it as an example that BG always had shit writing.

trollface.jpeg

Space Insect

Arcane
Good thing I found this thread, you guys!

My little brother was looking at the game and since he liked BG back in the day wondered about getting it and I said NO!

I've no idea how I would explain to him all the crap that was put into this game. For now I merely told him that the multiplayer doesn't work. I mean.. I'm like, his big sister and he looks up to me in a way, but.. this might've scarred him for life.
If you have to get it, at least wait for a ton of patches. Unfortunately the bad writing can't be fixed by patches.

Ezrite

Learned
The cavalry is riding out to protect Amber Scott on Beamdog and they try to proclaim that the things she said was not about Baldurs Gate or not at the same time and that Gamergate is the devil behind all this.

Weasel
Surely Beamdog can't be surprised about the reaction though. If they had put a tranny in the game and written zher a bit better it wouldn't have attracted a fraction of this shitstorm, could even have been interesting but I guess that would have taken actual writing talent . Instead the writer:

- Calls BG "sexist" and proclaims two characters have to be portrayed differently
- Claims to be a proud SJW who wants to pack as much SJW stuff into her writing as possible
- States that as the writer she makes the choices and others can take it or leave it
- Gets Minsc (of all characters) to reference Gamergaters or whatever they're called, I mean who really wants reminders of that stuff in a BG game, apart from someone hoping for a reaction? How was that ever going to end well?
- Oh, then apart from the modern array of bi/homo characters which hardly anyone has complained about there has to be an awkward in-your-face trans character who is so badly written that real trannies are complaining.

Good job Beamdog. Perfect choices for an expansion to an old game with a sales pitch based on nostalgia, at least before the writer called the old game sexist. Way to appeal to the target audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom