Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 20th Anniversary Feature at PC Gamer

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
necessating lengthy loading times between screens
Some things never change.

not like Diablo where you're an almost unstoppable force, reaving effortlessly through waves of demons
Uhhhhh maybe Diablo 3. That's not the experience in the first one at all once you're past the first couple of levels.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Richard Cobbert remains the only good writer in PC Gamer, the rest reads like a kid reviewing his favorite anime on My Anime List. They just throw empty adjectives and expect you to agree with them.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Doing a 20 anniversary story about BG and using a bunch of EE pics. I don't even hate the EE's and I still think this reeks of faggotry.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yep. A retrospective based on a version that came out 14 years later, and made by different people (many of whom didn't pay enough respect to BG), is not a retrospective or a celebration of the original BG. It's a joke. My write-ups are based on the original and are far superior, anyway.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Not sure if sarcastic, but my retrospectives are:

1. Based on the originals, as patched by the original devs. This is the only way to write retrospectives and celebrations of games.
2. More in-depth and thorough-going. They are mostly high-level reads for RPG veterans. I don't make apologies for that. I state straight up that newbies will be lost here. I use proper technical terms and if people don't understand, fuck 'em. I don't dumb down my content just to get more views.
3. Don't go crazy on adjectives. When someone says "powerful warriors, erudite clerics and canny rogues", you know they are generic bread-and-butter scribblers of the lowest order.
3. Not afraid to criticize BG. I take it to task. These guys wouldn't dare to offend. But yeah, they wouldn't have the knowledge to anyway. The way they describe Kangaxx and SotM, you can tell they just Googled it up and dumbed it down for their readership.
4. Genuine. You can tell I love the game. You can tell I played it when it came out. No one can doubt my knowledge and passion for BG.
5. High-energy. I want to exhaust myself and the reader. I don't get many comments because I'm thorough. I don't leave much up for debate or beat around the bush. I make a lot of assertions, and I back them up with stats and NUMBAZ.

Also, my command of the English language exceeds these day-job "journos". If I was getting paid (EDIT - and had an EDITOR leaning over my shoulder occasionally), the gap would widen. As a result, my writing is sometimes rough around the edges, symptomatic of aspie, or all over the place (I get excited at one point, bored at another, annoyed at yet another), but it's still superior to the sterile twaddlings quoted above.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, this:

79kWTUD.png

Is a perfect example of how they have no idea of what they're talking about.

When this is what the "professionals" write, we can't just blame the mainstream gamers for being so ignorant.

Lagi

Savant
Not sure if sarcastic, but my retrospectives are:

1. Based on the originals, as patched by the original devs. This is the only way to write retrospectives and celebrations of games.
2. More in-depth and thorough-going. They are mostly high-level reads for RPG veterans. I don't make apologies for that. I state straight up that newbies will be lost here. I use proper technical terms and if people don't understand, fuck 'em. I don't dumb down my content just to get more views.
3. Don't go crazy on adjectives. When someone says "powerful warriors, erudite clerics and canny rogues", you know they are generic bread-and-butter scribblers of the lowest order.
3. Not afraid to criticize BG. I take it to task. These guys wouldn't dare to offend. But yeah, they wouldn't have the knowledge to anyway. The way they describe Kangaxx and SotM, you can tell they just Googled it up and dumbed it down for their readership.
4. Genuine. You can tell I love the game. You can tell I played it when it came out. No one can doubt my knowledge and passion for BG.
5. High-energy. I want to exhaust myself and the reader. I don't get many comments because I'm thorough. I don't leave much up for debate or beat around the bush. I make a lot of assertions, and I back them up with stats and NUMBAZ.

Also, my command of the English language exceeds these day-job "journos". If I was getting paid (EDIT - and had an EDITOR leaning over my shoulder occasionally), the gap would widen. As a result, my writing is sometimes rough around the edges, symptomatic of aspie, or all over the place (I get excited at one point, bored at another, annoyed at yet another), but it's still superior to the sterile twaddlings quoted above.

eh.. now i have to read your blog.

edit:
photo.jpg
:obviously:

Elex

Arbiter
-in what series you may find a talking sword?
-all fantasy series, and some sci fi.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
BTW, this:

79kWTUD.png

Is a perfect example of how they have no idea of what they're talking about.

When this is what the "professionals" write, we can't just blame the mainstream gamers for being so ignorant.

It's not that wrong, Tyranny is clearly inspired by PS:T universe and PoE gameplay.

Of course, the bottom right is where it's all wrong Numenera has nothing to do with PS:T, it's more of a mix between PoE and any visual novel with an insane amount of words put together to make it look smart while it's not ...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So Ty-ranny was inspired by PST? I totally ignored it. Let me ask one question: did it have one.single.moment. in the game that was as funny/cutting as anything Morte said in PST? Or was it all tryhard, phylosophical, grimdark stuff?.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Nah, Tyranny was inspired by decline.

Also, even if it's hard, let's talk about BG since it's their damn anniversary.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So Ty-ranny was inspired by PST? I totally ignored it. Let me ask one question: did it have one.single.moment. in the game that was as funny/cutting as anything Morte said in PST? Or was it all tryhard, phylosophical, grimdark stuff?.

It's more about the atmosphere and the NPC and companions, some are very good.
I don't recall a lot of humorous attempts.

The battle + loading part is tedious though, i'm sure i'd enjoy it more in about 10 / 20 years with a brand new PC which would trample the loading screens.
A mod cutting encounters by half in some areas would be nice too.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I could always bring up SOD instead. :salute:
In all honesty, its a 20 year anniversary and those plebs at Beamdog haven't done anything except this lame retrospective. I would have prefered some early days stories about how Jim Cummings was ad-libbing Minsc and redefined his character, how the heck Bioware afforded Frank Welker (Xzar/G1 Megatron) and one thing I've never bothered to research; is whether the voice actor for Yeslick was the same guy who did most of the dwarves in old 80's DnD cartoon...
Also, what was Bioware's inspiration behind creating all of those various party members? Etc, etc. Just a bit of nostalgic stuff from Trent Oster to remind us that he was there from the beginning. Everything Beamdog does is in a controlled environment though, because they know (apart from their rabid fanbase) that the wider community don't really think they have much to contribute when we compare the original talent to what it has become.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I posted a bunch of examples of dialogue in my thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tyranny-1-2-no-dlc-the-roguey-report.120345/
Of course, the bottom right is where it's all wrong Numenera has nothing to do with PS:T, it's more of a mix between PoE and any visual novel with an insane amount of words put together to make it look smart while it's not ...
What's factually incorrect is that the box color claims it uses the Infinity Engine.

SpoilVictor

Educated
And it was written for what purpose? Beamdogshit threw some money or what? Not that anyone at PC Gaymer cares about BG or any brighter future for RPGs in general. I'm really glad that you folks post whole articles here so I don't have to visit their site.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Nah, Tyranny was inspired by decline.

Also, even if it's hard, let's talk about BG since it's their damn anniversary.

One less reason to talk about it, let alone celebrate it.

We should organize a 24 hours of silence in memory of the cRPG genre which was brutally murdered by the BG franchise.

It was dead before it as well. "You come from nothing, you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know where they got the Tyranny-Torment connection. Is it because both are "C&C-centric" games?

Other than that, they forgot (I hope they just forgot) to make Tides of Numenera dark orange, and of course, Pathfinder: Kingmaker belongs here as well.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
baldurs gate needs comprehensive multi approach illustrated hard cover study book that would analyse the games from many different scientific views told by best gaming writers, what it meant when it came out, how was rpg scene before and influence it had. also complete walkthrough and analysis of npcs as well additional material about modding community and how beamdog revitalized these old games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom