Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 20th Anniversary Feature at PC Gamer

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Nice find Infi!

Love it or hate it. Baldur's Gate was an epic adventure for its time, especially given how games were constrained by a lack of PC resources during the 90s. Imagine what we could do with the resources we have today if they were wisely used?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I could always bring up SOD instead. :salute:
In all honesty, its a 20 year anniversary and those plebs at Beamdog haven't done anything except this lame retrospective. I would have prefered some early days stories about how Jim Cummings was ad-libbing Minsc and redefined his character, how the heck Bioware afforded Frank Welker (Xzar/G1 Megatron) and one thing I've never bothered to research; is whether the voice actor for Yeslick was the same guy who did most of the dwarves in old 80's DnD cartoon...
Also, what was Bioware's inspiration behind creating all of those various party members? Etc, etc.

Most of the party member stuff has been covered elsewhere. Sick of hearing about it, tbh.

But yeah, big publication like that and all they could get was Trent. Even I managed to get something out of Luke K. not all that long ago. Pretty interesting, too. The way he responded, you can tell this guy is a writer.

That's not to say Trent's insights are worthless (he knows the tech-side), but it'd be nice to hear more from the person who wrote 75% of BG+ToSC (instead of just coding facts and figures that are pretty well known already, from Beamdog's development cycles..)

laclongquan

Arcane
lilura1.jpg
Faye Dunaway for teh winz!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So Ty-ranny was inspired by PST? I totally ignored it. Let me ask one question: did it have one.single.moment. in the game that was as funny/cutting as anything Morte said in PST? Or was it all tryhard, phylosophical, grimdark stuff?.
I posted a bunch of examples of dialogue in my thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tyranny-1-2-no-dlc-the-roguey-report.120345/

You know (but I'll detail it anyway) every industry/profession has a 'tell' as far as a competence goes: like a carpenter putting his hand plane down on it's sole, or a teacher -who may be really fantastic- but suddenly writes a scheme of work for all the low IQ black/arab kids to do this task and all the high functioning Askeinazi Jews to do that task. In the first case it's a lack of knowledge, in the second (even if it's true) you just wouldn't do it because you'd loose all professional credibility.
So when I see a writer (admittedly a profession I know nothing about) inserting a sentence into their writing like: I'm going to take this staff, and repeatedly jam it into your backside until you prolapse" It means that their writing is either on par with George R.R. Martin, or they have no concept of how to create a tone for their work. That's something I miss most of all. And I think it's a generation thing that the latest generation hasn't quite grasped, or they don't think enough of their audience has.

Baldurs Gate 1 had the best tone of any game I've ever played. Small details like right-clicking on an NPC, and hearing them complain about the wife, or the cows, or gossiping about events - set that game up in a way that has yet to be matched. Now I can't debate on Tyranny because I haven't played it - but in the spirit of the thread; I'm willing to bet there was more than one tell throughout the writing of that game that broke the immersion of whatever world they were trying to build? And I bet it stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the odd bit of oddball dialogue in BG...

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I could always bring up SOD instead. :salute:
In all honesty, its a 20 year anniversary and those plebs at Beamdog haven't done anything except this lame retrospective. I would have prefered some early days stories about how Jim Cummings was ad-libbing Minsc and redefined his character, how the heck Bioware afforded Frank Welker (Xzar/G1 Megatron) and one thing I've never bothered to research; is whether the voice actor for Yeslick was the same guy who did most of the dwarves in old 80's DnD cartoon...
Also, what was Bioware's inspiration behind creating all of those various party members? Etc, etc.

Most of the party member stuff has been covered elsewhere. Sick of hearing about it, tbh.

But yeah, big publication like that and all they could get was Trent. Even I managed to get something out of Luke K. not all that long ago. Pretty interesting, too. The way he responded, you can tell this guy is a writer.

That's not to say Trent's insights are worthless (he knows the tech-side), but it'd be nice to hear more from the person who wrote 75% of BG+ToSC (instead of just coding facts and figures that are pretty well known already, from Beamdog's development cycles..)

I was thinking that if Trent Oster had any brains he would use it as a PR stunt to get the grognards back on his side a bit after the reaction to the latest party members they put out.

Didn't you do an interview with a writer from one of the IE games?. Was it one of the IWD games? I just spent 5 min searching through your blog, and ... I can't find it. :?
I know this may be considered haram on the Codex, but I was looking forward to something David Gaider did in the future. Credit where it is due; he wrote BG2 and he created HK47. I didn't play anything he wrote after DA:O, and read an interview on PC Gamer where he seemed to go down the SJW rabbit hole. But I would have been at least mildy interested in whatever he came up with at Beamdog.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You know (but I'll detail it anyway) every industry/profession has a 'tell' as far as a competence goes: like a carpenter putting his hand plane down on it's sole, or a teacher -who may be really fantastic- but suddenly writes a scheme of work for all the low IQ black/arab kids to do this task and all the high functioning Askeinazi Jews to do that task. In the first case it's a lack of knowledge, in the second (even if it's true) you just wouldn't do it because you'd loose all professional credibility.
So when I see a writer (admittedly a profession I know nothing about) inserting a sentence into their writing like: I'm going to take this staff, and repeatedly jam it into your backside until you prolapse" It means that their writing is either on par with George R.R. Martin, or they have no concept of how to create a tone for their work. That's something I miss most of all. And I think it's a generation thing that the latest generation hasn't quite grasped, or they don't think enough of their audience has.

Baldurs Gate 1 had the best tone of any game I've ever played. Small details like right-clicking on an NPC, and hearing them complain about the wife, or the cows, or gossiping about events - set that game up in a way that has yet to be matched. Now I can't debate on Tyranny because I haven't played it - but in the spirit of the thread; I'm willing to bet there was more than one tell throughout the writing of that game that broke the immersion of whatever world they were trying to build? And I bet it stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the odd bit of oddball dialogue in BG...

I don't get the complaint. The word prolapse dates back to the 1500s. Anyway that line came from the lead, Matt MacLean. While not the best writer of Classic Obsidian, he wasn't the worst either, and I find him better than all their new kids.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

wow this is... some levels of bad

But like you said, it's about tone. If you're consistent in what characters say, it may still be bullshit, but you're setting a tone. If that's in line with what your setting is supposed to be like, you've already done something right.

Tyranny's setting was too half-baked to go anywhere. Low tech/ high magic is almost always a bad idea. They never managed to reconcile the ultra autocratic bureaucracy and freak magic things like Barik with the Bronze Age stuff, because it just doesn't go together.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Roguey & Sacred82
Call me old fashioned, but I didn't know what that word meant until I was over 30. It kind of stuck out like a - ummm... So of you're gonna stick a word in there like that then it has to be for something fabulous. Look at the Alliser Thorne (the grumpy commander in GOT) on the wall before the battle with the wildlings, when he says: "I said nock and hold you CUNTS! "Does nock mean draw?!" Does fucking hold mean drop?!..."
Now cunt is probably the oldest swear word in the English language, and it prickles everyone. That scene was hilarious for anyone who's dealt with bad managers, bad staff, and people being crap at both being sidelined to nowhere with no resources or time, to do a shit job nobody wants to do - and just at the moment before it all hits the fan and everyone's thinking we're probably gonna die, we arn't prepared for this they confirm it by not properly following orders and showing that they're crapping themselves so much, they arn't even listening to their commander or basic words. And for that brief instant - he loses it. It was epic.

So if you can't do that as George R.R. Martin does throughout his story, and you can't set a world up with a distinctive dialect, accent, culture, and overall feel at the same time; then you shouldn't put a sentence in that you'd find with a bunch of dudes in a locker room. Because everything I just mentioned drops to the level of 'dudes in a locker room'.
Also - we had decades of writers that were able to convey everything from foreboding, to intimidation, to banter, or whatever else Obsidian were trying to get at with that sentence - off the top of my head (early teenage years) Terry Brooks, David Gemmell, Melanie Rawn, Katherine Kerr, Eric Lustbader, etc who never sunk to that level. Ultimately - it's having the class to know a monocle from a cock-ring, and being able to use either one with distinction.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pathological faggot just being a faggot. What's your point, anyway?

MDK 2 - cult action shooter, improves over the original in every way
Nwn - RPG classic
KotOR - RPG classic
Jade Empire - short and linear but worth it for the setting and story, basically a lesser version of KotOR with kung-fu

3/4 are confirmed cult classics unlike PoE which is a hipster classic and a laughing stock of serious people

Remember the FUNDAMENTAL reasons why PoE will always be shit

- Amateurish writing by Californian hipsters and nobodies. Evident by lore dumps and high exposition everywhere. <starts game> "The pact of Glanfanthan was the last hope of the Valirian republics under king..." Oh fuck off... Lack of understanding basic writing principles.
- Ruleset concocted by a delusional faggot, much like yourself. Looks a little like 4E but ruined by accessibility and an autistic tendency towards absolute balance. RTwP isn't even the biggest problem, it's the inherently low stat bonuses (+0.001% damage per point... belongs in a Diablo game with 100 level cap), "per encounter" garbage which takes away any tactical approach and Endurance, an idiotic mechanic which serves no purpose than to make the game accessible to the masses
- copy-pasted worldbuilding on the level on Harry Potter. fampyrs = vampires, xaurips = kobolds, vithracks = ilithid. Low effort and ripped directly off DnD

There is literally nothing to gain from PoE and there's absolutely no reason why should any genre veteran ever play PoE

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Huh Lilura brofisted x2 of my posts instead of shit rating them. That's gotta be a Halley's Comet event of regularity for a Codexer right? Yes, I also believe Luke K was the best writer of the IE games; with PST falling into a category that shouldn't be compared to the rest. Sooo...ummmm....
...I'm single.
:troll:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Pathological faggot just being a faggot. What's your point, anyway?

MDK 2 - cult action shooter, improves over the original in every way
Nwn - RPG classic
KotOR - RPG classic
Jade Empire - short and linear but worth it for the setting and story, basically a lesser version of KotOR with kung-fu

3/4 are confirmed cult classics unlike PoE which is a hipster classic and a laughing stock of serious people
NWN was good for its module system - It's the module creators that make it actually well worth playing. Kotor is good and fun, but Kotor2 is the cult classic because cult classics are things with a noticeable flaws (or very nichey) but with eclectic positive(s) that make the shit gameplay worth stomaching. Yeah, 1 & 2 have the same combat, but Bioware was more solid at map/encounter design IMO. Ironically, KOTOR2 is even more cult-y because its cut content meant more people trying to restore it.

If you're looking for cult classics, you should be looking at Troika.

And lol at JE being lesser than KOTOR.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Another Baldur's Gate retrospective from theringer.com

https://www.theringer.com/2018/12/21/18150363/baldurs-gate-bioware-1998-video-games

Art may largely be a matter of taste, but one conclusion is close to inarguable: 1998 was the best year ever for video games, producing an unparalleled lineup of revolutionary releases that left indelible legacies and spawned series and subcultures that persist today. Throughout the year, The Ringer’s gaming enthusiasts will be paying tribute to the legendary titles turning 20 in 2018 by replaying them for the umpteenth time or playing them for the first time, talking to the people who made them, and analyzing both what made them great and how they made later games greater. Our series rolls another 20 with the first great game by BioWare, the boundary-breaking role-playing epic Baldur’s Gate, which debuted two decades ago Friday.

In late 1995, a small group of beginner game developers in Alberta who’d created a company called BioWare needed a new project. Their first title, a mech game called Shattered Steel, was nearing the end of development, and the tiny studio wanted to do something different. BioWare’s founders were weaned on tabletop role-playing games and digital equivalents like Wasteland, so they decided that their second game should be a computer RPG.

Considering industry trends at the time, this was an uncommon course for a Western developer. The video-game review site GameRankings has indexed at least one review for 27 RPGs released in 1995. Of those 27, 21—including the top 13 by average review score—were made in Japan. The top of the list is littered with legendary Japanese developers: SquareSoft, Sega, Nintendo, Namco, Capcom. That was difficult company to crack.

“Everybody and their dog was convinced that Western RPGs were dead,” says BioWare cofounder Trent Oster. “It was all gonna be Japanese RPGs. Nobody in the Western world knew how to make [RPGs] … there was just no hope.” If the Western RPG was dead, the Western computer RPG was doubly dead: Every one of those top 13 RPGs from ’95 had come out on a console.

Three years later, all of those illustrious Japanese studios also appeared on the 1998 list. But close to the top, second only to Sega’s little-played Panzer Dragoon Saga, a new name joined them: BioWare, the makers of Baldur’s Gate.

The product of three exhausting and exhilarating years of labor by a team of roughly 15 people who didn’t know enough to be daunted by the task they undertook, Baldur’s Gate was a genre-stretching, disc-space-testing hybrid that broke new narrative, technical, and gameplay ground and established the identity of one of the past two decades’ most storied studios. “It just redefined expectations of what a role-playing game could be,” Oster says. “I think it really relaunched the whole concept of what a Western RPG is.”

Menu.jpg

Baldur’s Gate began in a basement.
Scott Greig, who became the first official BioWare employee, remembers how he heard about the company: An intern at the business where he was doing database work told him about some friends of his father’s, medical doctors who were getting into game-making. “I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, yeah, just a couple of guys in their basement,’” Greig says. That part, Greig discovered when he eventually met them in late 1995, turned out to be true: Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, two of the three newly graduated doctors who (along with three other associates) founded BioWare in February ’95, were working out of Zeschuk’s basement in Edmonton. But their desire to make games was serious, and they were already working on one. “It really was two guys in the basement making video games,” Greig says, “but they were two guys in the basement with a national contract with a real publisher.”

The company was looking for a lead programmer. “I was actually the only experienced game developer in the house,” says Oster, who would eventually join the Baldur’s Gate team as the head of the 3D art department after finishing Shattered Steel. “And I mean, I had made one game. … It’s not like I knew the right way to do anything.”

Greig hadn’t made games except for his own enjoyment in high school, but he had programming chops, so BioWare brought him on. By the time he started in January ’96, the company had rented a small office space above a restaurant. BioWare was no longer subterranean, although it wasn’t exactly upscale. “I particularly remember having to hold the bathroom door closed with your foot when you were going in, because it didn’t actually latch,” Greig says.

Although Shattered Steel wasn’t out yet, BioWare wanted to create a showcase that would entice a publisher to invest in its RPG project, Battleground: Infinity, which the company envisioned as an online game that would be based on ancient mythologies. Greig spent his first month cobbling together a tech demo. At that time, most game worlds were tile-based because of contemporary computers’ memory limitations. “If you look back to the Ultima games, or pretty much any other role-playing game at this point,” Greig says, “the artists would make [tiles], ‘OK, here’s the corner of a room, here’s a part of a wall,’ and these were all laid out on a regular grid. And they would assemble the background by just reusing all these pieces.”

BioWare’s inexperienced artists weren’t well-versed in the tile technique, so Greig experimented with Microsoft’s newly released DirectX software development kit and came up with a way to import a custom, full-screen, scrollable background that he’d painted in Photoshop. He called over Muzyka, with whom he’d been discussing training the artists in the tile-based method, and showed him his alternative method. Instead of piecing together tiles, Greig told Muzyka, “‘We [could] just paint whatever we want on here, and then we could just smoothly scroll around and have the characters walk on it.’ He looks at me and goes, ‘How many CDs will that be?’”

Greig pulled out a calculator and did some math to estimate the storage requirements. “I said, ‘Oh, it probably won’t be more than four or five,’” he recalls. “And [Ray] goes, ‘All right. Hey, let’s do it.’ And that 10-minute conversation was basically the genesis of what ended up being Baldur’s Gate on the technical side.”

A combination of new technology and a lack of skill and know-how had prompted BioWare to wander in a different direction, breaking a constraint that had hemmed in earlier games. It wouldn’t be the last time. “We were open to ideas that other people hadn’t actually tackled,” Greig says. “And it goes to show some of the power of actually having fresh ideas and inexperience in there, because we didn’t know that it couldn’t be done. So we just went ahead and did it.”

The hacked-together demo didn’t turn many heads, but it did pique the interest of Feargus Urquhart, who had just formed Black Isle Studios, an internal RPG development team at Interplay Productions, BioWare’s publisher for Shattered Steel. Interplay, which had developed Wasteland and was one of the few Western studios to publish an RPG in 1995, had recently licensed the Dungeons & Dragons IP from TSR, Inc. When Urquhart heard about BioWare’s pitch for Battleground: Infinity, he realized that the studio’s RPG roots and Interplay’s lore were a match made in Mount Celestia. “Part of [the demo’s] description was, ‘Oh, it’s kind of like D&D,’” says Baldur’s Gate’s head writer, Lukas Kristjanson. “And Interplay had just acquired the rights and said, ‘Well, why don’t you make it D&D?’ And a whole bunch of geeks went, ‘Whaaaat?’”

Out went ancient mythologies. In came the Forgotten Realms, a popular Dungeons & Dragons fantasy setting. Baldur’s Gate was now a D&D game. BioWare just had to build it.

image1.jpg

The BioWare team in the summer of 1997.

“We were in unknown territory,” Greig says. The tech demo he’d designed was just the seed of what would grow into the Infinity Engine, a platform featuring an isometric perspective and prerendered backgrounds that formed the backbone of Baldur’s Gate and its expansion and sequel, as well as Interplay’s Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. “There was so much infrastructure that had to be built for the game engine, because everything had to be done from scratch,” Greig says, adding, “The movie equivalent is we had to build the camera before we could film our film.”

BioWare planned for Baldur’s Gate to be a blend of old and new. “It was kind of this examination of the old Gold Box games in terms of their depth and their adherence to the [D&D] rules,” Oster says, referring to a series of D&D RPGs produced by Strategic Simulations, Inc. in the late ’80s and early ’90s. “But then bringing that forward into an almost real-time-strategy-style interface.”

Earlier RPGs, including the Ultima games, had been difficult to control, making it complicated for players to select multiple members of their parties and tell them what to do. But Blizzard Entertainment had released Warcraft and Warcraft II in 1994 and 1995, respectively, and those two titles, along with Westwood Studios’ Command & Conquer series, headlined a mid-’90s RTS boom based on mouse-first management rather than keyboard commands. BioWare borrowed that mouse-aided design, transplanting a new interface into an old genre where it was sorely needed. “Basically, you swipe the interface from a real-time-strategy game and plug it into a role-playing game,” Greig says. “That solved the party mechanics.”

It didn’t address a second problem: Mixing real-time management of up to five party members with the complexity of the D&D rule set made the action chaotic. “It became pretty obvious pretty quick that there was no way you were gonna be able to play the depths of D&D in real time without ever pausing the game,” Oster says. “That’s when we came up with the ‘pause and play’ plan.” That addition enabled players to stop in the middle of the game, queue up commands to their party, and then restart the real-time action. Although Baldur’s Gate didn’t invent this “active pause” approach, it did help popularize it. “When you play Fallout to this day with the V.A.T.S. system for the slow-motion targeting, I think you can trace the origins of all that back to the ‘pause and play’ idea,” Greig says.

Those mechanics made Baldur’s Gate a technical improvement upon previous RPGs, but BioWare had to fill in that framework with story and character. Lead designer James Ohlen drew on his tabletop history to create some of Baldur’s Gate’s computer companions, but the bulk of the writing fell to Kristjanson, another novice in the industry who became BioWare’s first full-time narrative crafter when he was hired in October ’96 after a chance encounter with a BioWare producer who was a friend of a friend. “I had an English degree and not much idea where to put it to use,” Kristjanson says.

He soon put it to use more than he’d bargained for, producing an estimated 70 percent of the game’s 800,000 words, including dialogue, codex entries, and journals. “It was a beast,” Kristjanson says. Ohlen’s character concepts gave him somewhere to start, but they weren’t fully fleshed out. For example, Kristjanson recalls that in the case of Minsc, a fan-favorite human ranger whom the player can recruit as a companion, “It was, ‘This guy has a head wound and a hamster.’ OK, what do we do with that?”

For BioWare’s band of longtime tabletop players, the enormity of the creative workload was leavened by the thrill of constructing a world in which thousands of other people would play. Kristjanson remembers talking to Baldur’s Gate programmer Mark Darrah—who now serves as the executive producer of BioWare’s Dragon Age series and its upcoming online action-RPG Anthem—about the challenges the tight-knit team was confronting. “We were like, ‘How’s this gonna work?’” Kristjanson says. “And then, ‘Well, on tabletop it’s like this, on D&D it’s like this, and the last game I played it’s like this.’ We kind of looked at each other and went, ‘Holy shit. We get to figure this out?’ It’s crazy. We’re fans of this stuff, and we’re getting to build it.”

For Kristjanson, the key to making the story sing was capturing the feeling of sitting around a kitchen table with a group of friends and bringing it to a computer game that was playable solo. “It’s all in character,” he says. “That was what we really realized early on. The fun of D&D is the controlled chaos of the party, the different personalities. Not just a pile of skills you throw at monsters, but the personalities that clash or flow with the story based on what you choose to do and who you choose to do it with.”

The quality of Baldur’s Gate’s dialogue, and the distinct identities of its 24 companions and hundreds of minor characters, set it apart from many of the trope-ridden titles that preceded it, whose appeal flowed much more from combat than from conversation. The game’s cast of non-player companions—many of whom, in a relative rarity for the era, were convincingly voiced—was a diverse group. Three of the five core party members were women (one of whom was voiced by the prolific Jennifer Hale), and some story lines touch on sensitive subjects; when the protagonist encounters Viconia DeVir, for instance, she’s being persecuted because she’s a drow, or dark-skinned elf.

Although the fledgling BioWare wasn’t particularly diverse, Kristjanson—whose background lay in tabletop D&D, not the previous computer adaptations—sought to make the companions mirror his real-life companions, who had always been contrasting both in personality (including “the friend across the table who’s slightly gooned on Mountain Dew”) and in terms of race and gender. “You have this broad mix of everybody bringing their particular flavor of weird and great to the table, and that requires a huge spread of characters,” he says, adding, “They weren’t all just dudes like me. … That’s what I wanted to see in the game, because that’s part of what made it great.”

Oster credits Greig’s database background for Baldur’s Gate’s massive size. “Most of the other game developers looked first and foremost at it from a gaming/game-experience side, not ‘How do I represent data and access data in an effective manner,’” he says. “So we were just able to huck around huge volumes of assets.” As Greig had foretold, Baldur’s Gate filled five discs. According to user-submitted playthrough lengths at the website How Long to Beat, a typical playthrough of the main story lasts 44.5 hours, while a “completionist” playthrough averages 106 hours. As in Wasteland, Muzyka’s RPG touchstone, many scenarios could play out in more than one way, offering extra replay value. Compared with the typical game of the era, Oster says, “It’s just ridiculous when you analyze the scale of it.”

Disc5.jpg

Because Baldur’s Gate was so big and the BioWare team, while sizable for the era, was small by modern standards, development was highly collaborative. “It wasn’t like, ‘OK, this was my job,’ and you just stuck to it,” Greig says. “You basically did whatever needed to get done, and there was lots of input from everybody around. … Even the junior quality-assurance tester guy had probably more influence on Baldur’s Gate than a senior producer does on some of the Triple-A game titles that are out right now.” Even though Greig was the lead programmer and wasn’t directly responsible for the story, he still read all of the Forgotten Realms sourcebooks to immerse himself in the setting.

That all-hands-on-deck ethos was partly attributable to the team’s enthusiasm for what they were making, and partly a reflection of the fact they were too new to the industry to be burned out. But it was also a by-product of BioWare biting off more than it could comfortably chew. “The general attitude was, ‘We’d like to do this, how hard could it be?’” Greig says. “But it turns out it’s really freaking hard to make video games.” So hard, in fact, that a more experienced staff likely would have set its sights a little lower. “I think the biggest asset of our inexperience was the fact we didn’t know how hard the work was gonna be and how much there was going to be,” Oster says. “We underestimated everything so profoundly that it sounded reasonable, when in that time and place it was actually quite an unreasonable thing to attempt to do.”

That breadth of content came at a cost to the developers, who spent roughly the last year of production in crunch mode and the last six months or so working seven days a week, 10-12 hours a day, and sometimes sleeping at their desks. “We’d work, we’d eat pizza, we’d work some more, and I swear after Baldur’s Gate came out, I wasn’t able to eat a slice of pizza for a year and a half,” Greig says. Although Oster notes that he and the rest of the team took it upon themselves to work those hours, out of belief in Baldur’s Gate and a sense of solidarity with their colleagues, that kind of crunch—not uncommon among 1998’s standout titles—can be counterproductive and harmful and, despite the many other ways in which game-making has moved forward, remains a blight on the backstories of many great titles today.

After logging all of those hours (and enduring multiple three-month delays), BioWare believed it might have a hit on its hands. For Interplay, though, Baldur’s Gate didn’t project to be a massive seller. The publisher’s previous D&D titles hadn’t been blockbusters, and neither Baldur’s Gate nor BioWare had a built-in brand, so Interplay wasn’t planning a full-court press. “They were doing their standard marketing thing, which at that point was, you take out a bunch of ads a couple months before the game comes out in some various magazines like PC Gamer … and, that’s pretty much it,” Greig says. “We had been putting our heart and soul into this thing, and it’s like, ‘Oh, you’ve got to do something better than that.’”

More out of unbridled enthusiasm than any coordinated marketing strategy, BioWare members began to talk up the game themselves, providing updates and answering questions on Usenet and message boards devoted to D&D. By the time the game came out, BioWare’s infectious, patient, and transparent posts had built up anticipation in the target market. Greig remembers one of the major trade magazines projecting Baldur’s Gate for 100,000 copies sold. Even internally, BioWare hoped for only 200,000, which would be enough to justify a sequel. Then the game came out. “It started to sell fairly well, and then it sold even better, and [then] the sales just took off,” Oster says. “And it was mostly from organic-style marketing—word of mouth.”

A press release on ship day reported “a near frenzy” at “several mall-based stores” and quoted multiple sources testifying to frantic presale activity. Baldur’s Gate became the best-selling game in the two weeks following its release, moving 175,000 copies in that time and vindicating BioWare’s pre-release outreach. It topped 500,000 by the end of February and hit the 1.5 million mark by May 2001. “This is a 100 percent standard procedure now for any game,” Greig says. “A key part of the marketing is engaging with the core audience and doing developer diaries, and they’ve got teams of people whose job is just to do this.” Inadvertently, BioWare had helped guide developers in how to sell games as well as how to make them.

Baldur’s Gate garnered Game of the Year and RPG of the Year honors from a multitude of outlets, and its 2000 sequel—which benefited from a more polished Infinity Engine that didn’t have to be built from scratch—was even more highly acclaimed. “Baldur’s Gate II was about us actually, finally knowing how to make a game,” Oster says.

The team behind Baldur’s Gate went on to make many more. “When I got the job, a friend of my now-wife said, ‘Ha, gaming company. Well, that won’t last six months,’” Kristjanson says. “Because game companies were flaming out left and right.” Twenty-two years later, he’s still at BioWare, where some of his younger colleagues, like Dragon Age and Mass Effect writer Sheryl Chee, cite Baldur’s Gate as influences. “Every now and then she brings it up that she played BG I and BG II six times as a kid, and that was escape,” Kristjanson says. “I’m like, ‘This is weird.’”

Although many of BioWare’s other early pioneers, including Greig and all of the cofounders, have since moved on, the company’s output over the past 20 years owes a debt to that first, formative RPG. “Baldur’s Gate literally set up every game that BioWare ever made,” Oster says. “So, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Dragon Age—they’re all kind of from that original DNA. If you pull back from all the flashy bits and all the high-end graphics and all the cinematic conversation, there’s a lot of similarities there.”

Oster still hasn’t quite quit the original. In 2009, he and another Baldur’s Gate alum, Cameron Tofer, founded a new studio, Beamdog, which now occupies the same office floor that BioWare did during the Baldur’s Gate days. In 2012, Beamdog developed Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, a remake published by Atari (which now owns the Baldur’s Gate license) that incorporated enhancements and additions and extended support to mobile platforms but started with the same code to preserve the familiar feel. “We approached it more as curators than reimagining it,” he says. “We didn’t want to rethink what Baldur’s Gate was. We wanted to make the best version of Baldur’s Gate that we could.” The Enhanced Edition continues to be patched. “I still see areas where I think we can make things better,” Oster says. In 2016, his company produced an original expansion, Siege of Dragonspear, which was set between the events of Baldur’s Gate I and II and represented the first original Baldur’s Gate game in more than 15 years, not counting the console spinoffs. Rumors are swirling about a Baldur’s Gate III, although Oster says it’s not being made by Beamdog.

In a sense, an actual sequel seems extraneous, because so many spiritual sequels keep carrying the torch, from the Pillars of Eternity series to the Divinity: Original Sin series to 2017’s Torment: Tides of Numenera to 2018’s Pathfinder: Kingmaker. All of those games were crowdfunded through Kickstarter, which has seen a sort of isometric boom as developers capitalize on players’ continued affection for the form.

“The ones that have been successful haven’t tried to remake what we did, because when we made it we weren’t trying to make Baldur’s Gate,” Kristjanson says, adding, “You can reduce that too much to, ‘Oh, this should be authentic D&D with the numbers.’ Well, even D&D isn’t authentic D&D. It’s every group has their house rule, and that house rule is because of the way that your particular collection of awesome weirdos wants to play it.”

While writing for Baldur’s Gate, Kristjanson learned that world-building is about asking questions more than it is about answering them. “For every time you answer a question, you should pose a couple more, because otherwise the world is just getting smaller instead of broadening out,” he says. Twenty years later, the world Baldur’s Gate built is still expanding. “If you’re lucky, you get to take some of all this stuff that inspired you, all the stuff you thought was great, and you build something that’s worthy for someone else to build on whenever they come after you,” Greig says. “That is basically the best you can do as any type of artist.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
The game’s cast of non-player companions—many of whom, in a relative rarity for the era, were convincingly voiced—was a diverse group. Three of the five core party members were women (one of whom was voiced by the prolific Jennifer Hale), and some story lines touch on sensitive subjects; when the protagonist encounters Viconia DeVir, for instance, she’s being persecuted because she’s a drow, or dark-skinned elf.

:npc:

Cael

Arcane
The game’s cast of non-player companions—many of whom, in a relative rarity for the era, were convincingly voiced—was a diverse group. Three of the five core party members were women (one of whom was voiced by the prolific Jennifer Hale), and some story lines touch on sensitive subjects; when the protagonist encounters Viconia DeVir, for instance, she’s being persecuted because she’s a drow, or dark-skinned elf.

So, this guy is telling us that blacks are all as Evil and depraved as the drow?

Nice own goal there, dumbass.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More from Cobbett: https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-anniversary/

20 years ago, Baldur's Gate made Dungeons & Dragons cool again
Looking back at a pivotal moment for computer RPGs, D&D, and a little company called BioWare

It’s sometimes said that Baldur’s Gate made RPGs cool again. But it had plenty of competition for that honor. 1998 landed in the half of the decade that gave us Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, a glimpse of another world in Final Fantasy VII (even if the original PC port was one of the worst things you could inflict on your computer that wasn’t a virus), and saw Diablo hitting a level of success that continues echoing through the industry today.

A better claim is that it made Dungeons & Dragons cool again—that is almost impossible to deny. It both put the series back on track on PC, and ensured that much of what followed continued to owe a debt to those halcyon days of tabletop dice rolling.

The irony is that while for the time, Baldur’s Gate felt streamlined and mainstream, going back to it now is to find a very fussy game indeed. Not only is it awash in terms like THAC0, the original version was so strict that it wouldn’t let you stay paused if you nipped into the inventory screen during combat. It wasn’t competing with today's RPGs, though. It was being compared to the likes of the famous Gold Box games in all their turn-based glory, and individual games aimed at fans not scared off by names like “Menzoberranzan.”

Next to those, the combined effect of Baldur's Gate's gorgeous backgrounds and magic effects and smooth interface was like being carried away on a beautiful stream… at least for a while.

It helped that Baldur’s Gate took the world by surprise. BioWare was a little known company whose previous game, the mech simulator Shattered Steel, had come and gone with little fanfare. Suddenly being faced with this gloriously beautiful, intricate, personality-filled adventure was… well, not a million miles from Peter Jackson going from Bad Taste to Lord of the Rings.

Almost immediately, characters like Minsc and his miniature giant space hamster Boo became gaming household names, while the chunk of the Forgotten Realms from Candlekeep to the titular Baldur’s Gate became home away from home for a good fifty hours or so of adventure.

Arguably the biggest individual success was the combat system, which moved away from the familiar scrum of both action-RPGs and the likes of Ultima, which weren’t particularly interested in that side of things. It also wasn't like the turn-based action of Fallout and pals: Baldur's Gate had a smooth real-time-with-pause system. This kept the action flowing fast and free, while still allowing for proper tactics.

While technically everything was still being played out in rounds and with dice rolls, all of that was shoved under the surface to allow for action that felt far more visceral and freeform in 1998. Warriors charged into battle with their swords-and-boards ready, while casters hung back with spell and prayer books bursting with tactical options to help swing things one way or another. It was exactly what the genre needed at the time—the feel of D&D, with PC as an invisible dungeon master.

There were, of course, problems. This was BioWare’s first RPG, and even at the time, it showed. Most players soon hit a roadblock at the first major location outside the tutorial, the Friendly Arm Inn, where an assassin waited to bring the quest to a sudden end. This wasn’t necessarily a problem if you’d recruited some help earlier, but casters especially felt the sharp edge of starting out with barely enough HP to withstand a light wind. Later, the path through the game had a tendency to push unwary players too fast into areas they weren’t ready for, particularly the kobold-filled Nashkel mines.

The story was often sloppily told (starting with a villain who genuinely thought it a cunning plan to reverse his name from Sarevok to Koveras), and nobody cheered the addition of enemies like basilisks capable of one-hit killing the player character. (For reasons not hand waved until the second game, the party wouldn’t break out the resurrection spells for their fallen leader, making them seem like a bunch of real ungrateful bastards.)

But none of this mattered, at least at the time, primarily because of how much character the rest of the game had. It dripped with it, from the long conversations with your party to comedy moments with the NPCs—the highlight being the ability to have enough being dicked around and snap back with arguably the greatest dialogue option in the history of the genre. To whit:

“Okay, I’ve just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you’ve got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick, or I’m going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the Nine Hells themselves wouldn’t touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!”

Quite a jump up from Ultima’s “Name? Job? Bye.”

Needless to say, Baldur’s Gate 2 would see many improvements. The story is better, the pathing is better, and the second chapter, which sees you just trying to raise money by taking on jobs (each the equivalent of a D&D module in themselves) is one of the best in the genre. BioWare’s writing and design levelled up too, establishing romances as a key part of RPGs, and putting even more focus onto the party.

Something we’ve lost since then is the element of choice here, with the original Baldur’s Gate offering some 25 potential party members of every class and alignment, with scope for true inter-party clashes over good and evil, etc, versus just nine mostly forced-upon you in BioWare’s most recent fantasy, Dragon Age: Inquisition. Likewise, while that sticks to a party of just four, Baldur’s Gate offered six slots. You could even fill them with your own hand-crafted characters, albeit without any stories attached, or play multiplayer with friends.

The legacy of Baldur’s Gate does however continue, even with BioWare having moved on. Its engine, Infinity, gave us the great Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale, and remains so fondly remembered by RPG players that Obsidian was able to turn a promise to use something in its style into a hugely successful Kickstarter for what would become Pillars of Eternity. Elsewhere, and more controversially, Beamdog has continued working with the original games to produce the Enhanced Editions of both Baldur’s Gate adventures (including the expansion/finale Throne of Bhaal), and created its own completely uncontroversial interquel, Siege of Dragonspear.

And that’s not including the games that followed. Without Baldur’s Gate, we also wouldn’t have had games like The Witcher (the first one was built on the Neverwinter Nights engine), Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Oh, or Jade Empire. Love or hate the BioWare legacy, the genre would be in a very different place if it had made Shattered Steel 2 instead.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
FFS, Fallout 1 AND 2 came out before Baldur's Gate.

People bundle Baldur's Gate I and II together, but Fallout 2 was miles ahead of what BG1 did in terms of dialog, quests and party members.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Later, the path through the game had a tendency to push unwary players too fast into areas they weren’t ready for, particularly the kobold-filled Nashkel mines.
and nobody cheered the addition of enemies like basilisks capable of one-hit killing the player character.

Learn2play noob.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So, this guy is telling us that blacks are all as Evil and depraved as the drow?

Nice own goal there, dumbass.

Yeah, Blacks and Drow have nothing in common.

For one thing, Underdark real estate prices don't plummet when the Drow are around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom