Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
I would like to remind people that:

1) Aside from PS:T and to a lesser extent MoTB no cRPGs have been good or fun to play because of their cheezy amateurish badly written stories. Bad stories should not be encouraged, but they work for this medium.
2) The story in BG2 was cliched and boring and very badly written. Most of the NPCs were actually annoying as fuck. Imoen and Jaheira must have been written by women-haters they were so annoying and Minsc was legendarily bad. The text seemed targeted towards 5 year olds. Even Dragon Age had a better story I think. I liked the part about how wizards were persecuted and hunted for instance. Not very original but a fun premise. I can't think of any cRPG no matter how bad that had a worse story than BG2. It was that bad imo.

Holy shit. Dragon Age was a boring, grimdark, LotR, with poorly executed trope subversion(s). From the moment I met (I'M THE OBVIOUS VILLAIN) Loghain, my gut clenched from impending disappointment. It was entirely validated by the hopelessly generic writing. The writing of Baldur's Gate exceeded it in every way. The only fault of the NPCs in BG, were being before the standardization of full voice acting and profile conversation. It's ironic how you liked the mage persecution in DA:O, but gloss over The Cowled Wizards of Athkatla. They were a corrupt cartel of wizards that has criminalized magic outside of their possession. At least in BG2 you had to pay a large fee or face very real consequences for being a wizard. In DA:O where wizards are outcast, exactly no consequence occurs for being one, under any circumstance.
DA explained it away with the fact you are a Warden. They get a free pass. Always had.

I actually liked Loghain. He was a villian, sure, but in the vanilla game he had motivation and he had a baby-eating sidekick that was doing a lot of shady things on the side which made it harder to judge what it was that Loghain actually condoned and what it was that he didn't even know about until too late. The only one I could not stand in the game was Alistair.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(unless the recent DLC changed the ending) the main plot is dumb.
From what I understand
You can empower Concelhaut to kill Eothas, but the wheel gets destroyed anyway, that's the status quo going forward.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Shit i'm Drunk again. Larian has a prototype and is showing it to WOTC right now.

Persoanally i find it weird that WOTC weighs in on the prototype at all. They're not gamedevs, what do they know?

What else are they going to influence?

What did they influence when BG1-2 was being made? Anyone knows?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Persoanally i find it weird that WOTC weighs in on the prototype at all. They're not gamedevs, what do they know?

They have video game publishing and development division (currently only announced project is Magic: The Gathering Arena). And even if they don't it's WotC, of course they have their own grand plans and brands to manage I guess.

Theldaran

Liturgist
They have the D&D license, even the Magic license (there was a Magic MMO in development). Of course they want to award it responsibly, especially after games that tanked, like Sword Coast Legends (I think it was even removed from Steam).

I think that the BGs were done with the TSR license, I seem to recall WOTC didn't get their paws on D&D until '99 maybe. TSR must have liked what they saw with the first game's development, to award the license to a novel company like Bioware.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Of course they want to award it responsibly, especially after games that tanked, like Sword Coast Legends (I think it was even removed from Steam).
They probably weighed in on this one too, so that tells me everything I need to know about htier own competence in cRPGs.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Don't tell me that no game can bring me back to 2000...

:negative:

But muh Black Geyser and Stygian.

I think that devs should eschew graphics altogether, and instead focus on a polished system... more Pathfinder, D&D5, even old editions of D&D since anyone can use them more freely.

Few games feature either the itemisation or spell selection of BG2, and none that I know of come close to both.

Mortmal

Arcane
Don't tell me that no game can bring me back to 2000...

:negative:

But muh Black Geyser and Stygian.
Realms beyond, most likely to be the next big thing, they have even a discord now . I am trusting my instinct there, its very unlikely for them to fuck it up.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yes, I think that as of late 2017, like 5-6 DnD games were planned. Some are already here- like that Candlekeep game.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I would like to remind people that:

1) Aside from PS:T and to a lesser extent MoTB no cRPGs have been good or fun to play because of their cheezy amateurish badly written stories. Bad stories should not be encouraged, but they work for this medium.
2) The story in BG2 was cliched and boring and very badly written. Most of the NPCs were actually annoying as fuck. Imoen and Jaheira must have been written by women-haters they were so annoying and Minsc was legendarily bad. The text seemed targeted towards 5 year olds. Even Dragon Age had a better story I think. I liked the part about how wizards were persecuted and hunted for instance. Not very original but a fun premise. I can't think of any cRPG no matter how bad that had a worse story than BG2. It was that bad imo.

BG2 was fun because of the varied and interesting combat and the wizard vs wizard battles and because 2nd Ed D&D did not suck. Any story would have worked just as well as that shitty one. We definitely don't need or want any sort of sequel to the total retardation that was the BG2 story, but I would certainly like to see a D20 or Pathfinder or new-but-nonshitty combat system that attempts to capture what made BG2 combat fun. And of course don't forget about SCS. It was a huge improvement to the combat with much better AI. I think it shows that making the combat harder is almost never a bad thing if done by making the AI enemies do the same sort of stuff that the players do like having a hard-on for casters and other squishies. The Tank + Glass Cannon strategy doesn't work too well when your glass cannon gets shattered in the first few rounds every time. It forces you to really plan and strategize and that was actually a thing in BG2. Planning actually helped unlike in PoE were it makes no difference.

You had my curiosity until Dragon Age namedrop. As you said yourself, BG2 was fun because of combat, just like PS:T was fun for interesting story. Each game to their strengths, and how they are made as a whole. No point comparing segments out of context.

Fairfax

Arcane
WOTC using the title for the next big adventure module, and the special edition cover is based on the games:

Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus
The biggest and most exciting announcement of the weekend is, of course, the next D&D storyline! Last year’s storyline was a saga set in the city of Waterdeep, comprised of Waterdeep: Dragon Heistand Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. This year, D&D is taking a trip to Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. The celestial-turned-archdevil Zariel is enacting her long-awaited vengeance upon the city of Elturel, and a group of unlikely adventurers have been pulled into the struggle!

This adventure spans levels 1 through 13, starting with low-level adventures in Baldur’s Gate, the dark and gritty metropolis which lead designer Adam Lee describes as “the Gotham [City] of the Sword Coast.” Starting a campaign in Baldur’s Gate is wildly different from starting a campaign in bright, shiny Waterdeep, and it perfectly suits a campaign that is destined to go straight to Hell. Introducing more than just the city of Baldur’s Gate, this adventure also opens up the massive sandbox environment of Avernus.

The adventure promises a deep story filled with unforgiveable betrayals, unspeakable evils, and a fallen angel. Those who dare venture into the Nine Hells can fight to bring redemption to Avernus, or give in to corruption themselves. Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus is available for pre-order on the D&D Beyond Marketplace now, and releases in stores on September 17th, 2019. A limited-edition, game store-exclusive cover by Hydro74 features the skull-shaped icon of Bhaal that is now inexorably linked with Baldur’s Gate.

dd-baldur-s-gate-descent-into-avernus-main-cover.png
dd-baldur-s-gate-descent-into-avernus-alt-cover.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/17/...ns-to-baldurs-gate-with-descent-into-avernus/

While Wizards of the Coast isn’t making any new video game announcements, expect that Descent into Avernus will make its way to Neverwinter, the D&D massively multiplayer online role-playing game that’s free-to-play on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. It recently received an the Undermountain update, which aligns the MMO with the Dungeon of the Mad Mage storyline. Warriors of Waterdeep developer Ludia will also be at Descent, and maybe we’ll hear more about when its mobile D&D video game will launch.

D&D lead story designer Christopher Perkins lead the design for Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. In addition to designing and writing a number of books for Wizards of the Coast, Perkins was also the longtime Dungeon Master for Acquisitions Incorporated, the D&D liveplay show from Penny Arcade. A spokesperson confirmed that this Descent into Avernus does not build on the storylines from the Baldur’s Gate PC RPGs, but the alternative cover from artist Hydro74 shows the symbol of a prominent figure from those games: Bhaal, the Forgotten Realms’ god of murder. It’s an enticing tease, even if all past material has said that Bhaal’s realm is on the plane of Gehenna, not the Nine Hells (Avernus is the first layer of the Hells, where devils and Tiamat dwell).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
WOTC using the title for the next big adventure module, and the special edition cover is based on the games:

Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus
The biggest and most exciting announcement of the weekend is, of course, the next D&D storyline! Last year’s storyline was a saga set in the city of Waterdeep, comprised of Waterdeep: Dragon Heistand Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. This year, D&D is taking a trip to Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. The celestial-turned-archdevil Zariel is enacting her long-awaited vengeance upon the city of Elturel, and a group of unlikely adventurers have been pulled into the struggle!

This adventure spans levels 1 through 13, starting with low-level adventures in Baldur’s Gate, the dark and gritty metropolis which lead designer Adam Lee describes as “the Gotham [City] of the Sword Coast.” Starting a campaign in Baldur’s Gate is wildly different from starting a campaign in bright, shiny Waterdeep, and it perfectly suits a campaign that is destined to go straight to Hell. Introducing more than just the city of Baldur’s Gate, this adventure also opens up the massive sandbox environment of Avernus.

The adventure promises a deep story filled with unforgiveable betrayals, unspeakable evils, and a fallen angel. Those who dare venture into the Nine Hells can fight to bring redemption to Avernus, or give in to corruption themselves. Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus is available for pre-order on the D&D Beyond Marketplace now, and releases in stores on September 17th, 2019. A limited-edition, game store-exclusive cover by Hydro74 features the skull-shaped icon of Bhaal that is now inexorably linked with Baldur’s Gate.

Makes you wonder if the game is based on this campaign.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So why did they deny it?
Because Swen got an earful from WOTC. They have plans on how to market this, and releasing the info a year earlier than intended was harming their plans.

They're not a political entity and have no obligations to you regarding products that not only aren't being sold, but haven't even begun being publicly advertised.

This is where a lot of people get confused:
- If Bill Clinton denies something and then it turns out to be true, he has to resign due to lost confidence that people gave him when they voted for him.

- Swen doesn't have to do anything, because he's in the entertainment business, not in politics. It doesn't work the same way. He can deny BG3 until he doesn't and that's fine.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This sounds cool for a video game dungeon crawler. Drive a tank from hell:

Re-purposing Fallen Heroes into this?

:troll:

Also:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom