Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
A DnD game set in the realm of the gods at extremely high levels would actually be interesting and novel, so it'll never ever happen.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why no Dark Sun RPG?
Dark sun setting ? Unforgiving setting with survival under a scorching sun in wasteland filled with horrors and cannibalistic halflings, with mostly zero loot and rewards, only pain and suffering? Read pathfinder forum, people cant already deal with a web, dont bring rations nor a torch to the dungeon and need respec. The new rpg community is not ready for this, they want smooth easy adventuring at their pace without timers...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

InXile BG3 or Bethesda BG3, which would be worse and why?
Both terrible options.

I would actually rather have Beamturd do it than either of them.

In fact, I'd rather have no one do it unless it's going to be faithful to the original, worth it storywise and using the same engine.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Nobody should do it. These companies need to stop pulling these old franchises out of their graves and let them rest in peace, ffs.

This is especially true for Baldur's Gate. Throne of Bhaal was explicitly supposed to be the series' ending, and any "sequel" serves no purpose other than exploiting the BG name for a cash-in.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nobody should do it. These companies need to stop pulling these old franchises out of their graves and let them rest in peace, ffs.

This is especially true for Baldur's Gate. Throne of Bhaal was explicitly supposed to be the series' ending, and any "sequel" serves no purpose other than exploiting the BG name for a cash-in.
Do you think we'll get to romance imoen in the progressive sequel?

Why no Dark Sun RPG?
Dark sun setting ? Unforgiving setting with survival under a scorching sun in wasteland filled with horrors and cannibalistic halflings, with mostly zero loot and rewards, only pain and suffering? Read pathfinder forum, people cant already deal with a web, dont bring rations nor a torch to the dungeon and need respec. The new rpg community is not ready for this, they want smooth easy adventuring at their pace without timers...

Nobody gave a shit about the web in the pathfinder forums the spiders were a joke and super easy.

People only complained when you have to stare at a your character being stuck in a noncombat situation with no risk for 20 seconds.
Not everyone has so much time to spend on video games like you that they can stare at pointless fucking animations.

I mean if you just want to be a gatekeeping faggot then go ahead.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why no Dark Sun RPG?
Shit-for-brains, timers are fucking stupid in any game, especially RPGs. You're advocating for one of the dumbest things in gayming.

By the way, no one is stuck with spiders, that didn't happen, so get your shit together.

Mightmagic

Augur
So let's list some candidates.
  • Larian - Currently the most successful CRPG developer (so likely the most wanted by publishers and IP owners that want to do CRPGs). They have 150~170 developers and working on new project(s). Also WotC's recent brand strategy aligns pretty well with their co-op gameplay. But they explicitly denied the rumor.
  • inXile - They're currently working on Wasteland 3 and battle royale game as well as updates for BT4. Also Fargo's dubious relationship with WotC.
  • Beamdog - They have seemingly good relationship with WotC. But since the departure of David Gaider they lost a number of developers. According to the recent livestream "about 2/3" of their team is working on NWN:EE, and the rest of them probably is working on the browser strategy game. So, likely no capability for a new CRPG now.
  • Obsidian - They probably have capability to make a new D&D CRPG, but making this will cannibalize PoE, their own IP.
  • Owlcat - Dunno.
Also wild cards:
  • Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider establish a new studio in Edmonton - What are they doing?
  • James Ohlen establishes a new studio in Austin - After leaving BioWare, he's now making a third-party D&D sourcebook for D&D 5e.
  • edit: oh yeah also MCA. But dunno, he can work with any of the above except Obsidian.
  • Some unrelated studio with no RPG experience - If WotC didn't learn anything with Sword Coast Legends.
You have forgotten Altomost Human, developper of Legend of Grimrock.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I heard Blizzard was making the next Baldur's Gate, but the twist is it will be a MOBA for no reason whatsoever other than it is popular right now.

Lr4gCrB74N6nb00pkJgSb1JKU1tWvZf7wSyqcJ2CFt2ecyFhCxU07WqYrUp-uNMcus6n

Potato Canon

Novice
To be completely honest, I don't think Inxile spent a single dime on BT4. I believe they got some money from the state of Louisiana or city of New Orleans to open a studio there. They will survive this debacle.

They got a chunk of money from Facebook/Oculus to make The Mage's Tale VR game, of which the game assets were also used for BT4.

Falksi

Arcane
In this age of modern decline & franchize butchery I should be skeptical and downbeat.

But....I can't be. Not about a possible BG3. Even the thought makes me wanna slurge my jizzum all over a slag's furry hamster.

I'm ready for extensive lore dumps in fucking prose "balanced" gameplay and stat heavy bullshit at the expense of good writing because not even MCA knows how to write a good RPG anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom