Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fairfax

Arcane
A million people were willing to show up for Divinity: Original Sin back when Larian were Eurojank nobodies. You can always make excuses ("no, it's just not the right kind of RTwP!") and you might even be right, but a businessman is going to look at that and draw conclusions.
D:OS was an original project with organic success, the opposite of the examples you mentioned. And I didn't say anything about RtwP. What I dispute is the idea that casual IE fans not being interested in these games says anything about a BG3. The combat system will be somewhat controversial, there's no way around it, but Larian is in a position where the game should be just as successful regardless of what they choose.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why do people keep using this non-word?
It's kinder than eurotrash, which is what I used. Europeans used to make clearly inferior RPGs compared to America when it came to things like gameplay and UI and such. They're on top now, after years of figuring out how to actually make things people will enjoy playing.

Mortmal

Arcane
A million people were willing to show up for Divinity: Original Sin back when Larian were Eurojank nobodies. You can always make excuses ("no, it's just not the right kind of RTwP!") and you might even be right, but a businessman is going to look at that and draw conclusions.
Would be funny if the businessman conclusion is turn based rpg means big money...

No the success of divos has multiple reasons, before divos they released some good games and had a small loyal fan base they dont start from nothing .Then the release was perfect, perfectly timed in summer with absolutely no AAA competition , best window of opportunity ever , everyone was bored. That leads to word of mouth and huge sales. The graphical style appears quite similar to world of Warcraft so it already have a broad appeal ,on steam page it attract attention , it looks like something fun just looking at the video . Then the game itself is innovative, polished, and playable from start to end . Their success is well deserved, its done by professionals, not "eurojanks".

If POE2 dont sell, its simple, POE was average and sold a ton due to sheer marketing power, but for POE2 the buzz is gone, its an average game some great part but in overall without genius.It's not cause of RTWP, its cause its not so fun and the ruleset and story telling sucks .Kingmaker despite being a steaming pile of rotten untested garbage by unknown russian devs , is ton more fun than anything obsidian ever done and that with shorter development time and shoestring budget.

Businessman conclusion: Make good games by pro , it sells.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
its cause its not so fun and the ruleset and story telling sucks .
This isn't reflected by most critic and user reviews. What a few grognards on a RPG forum think is irrelevant with regard to sales.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Regarding Beamdog:

They also explicitly denied it. Also again, they don't seem like in a state of making or even preparing a big CRPG.

They apparently tried to make a new CRPG at least twice (Planescape game, some kind of weird western game) with David Gaider on board, but both collapsed probably at pre-production, or at most early production stage. (Funding problem? Internal conflicts?) After that, Gaider left, studio director Phil Daigle left (to UK company's new office founded by former Bioware boss), some of bright artists and designers also moved on (to the UK company and others).

And again, they said "about 2/3" of their team is working on NWN:EE and the others are working on a browser game (Axis & Allies, all but announced).

If anyone is waiting for their new RPG content, it looks like a new module for NWN:EE is their best bet in foreseeable future. (Brent Knowles has been promoted to project director, so maybe a good new module?)

Mortmal

Arcane
This isn't reflected by most critic and user reviews. What a few grognards on a RPG forum think is irrelevant with regard to sales.

In this specific case steam reviews are done by people who likely enjoyed the first one, any score under 80% would be strange. I completely ignore professional reviewers they are just doing like infinitron, advertisement. The grognards analysis are relevant as any , in fact the world is centered around the codex: One resident Bester , write a shitty post about a rumor, he gets worldwide recognition and articless from pro journos from countries he never even visited....
Just count the number of post on a thread and you can measure a game success , its an awesome investor tool. When no one talk about it here, its very very bad. Look at the number of comments after POE2 review, that means its a disaster.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"A million people were willing to show up for Divinity: Original Sin back when Larian were Eurojank nobodies."

Larian games were rather popular before OS. I don't know why people try to pretend OS was their first success. LMFAO

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just count the number of post on a thread and you can measure a game success , its an awesome investor tool. When no one talk about it here, its very very bad. Look at the number of comments after POE2 review, that means its a disaster.
Pillars of Eternity probably sparked more discussion than any other RPG in the history of the Codex. :lol:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing

Untitled.png

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What’s the normal sales decline for the sequel of a surprisingly popular game? Because the ~80% fall off from POE to Deadfire suggests that many players disliked something about the first one.

What’s the normal sales decline for the sequel of a surprisingly popular game? Because the ~80% fall off from POE to Deadfire suggests that many players disliked something about the first one.
Hard to say with sequel fatigue syndrome https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-sales-of-incline.98915/page-14#post-4597393
Honestly I think that "sequel fatigue" is mainly a thing when your first title didn't set the world on fire in the first place and the sequel doesn't look like a net improvement.
Case in point: The Banner Saga tanked more and more at each new chapter, while Divinity Original Sin 2 eclipsed the success of the first one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Honestly I think that "sequel fatigue" is mainly a thing when your first title didn't set the world on fire in the first place and the sequel doesn't look like a net improvement.
Case in point: The Banner Saga tanked more and more at each new chapter, while Divinity Original Sin 2 eclipsed the success of the first one.
I dunno, XCOM was noteworthy for being a successful AAA turn-based game, and you can see its influence in nearly every turn-based game released afterward, but it didn't result in any enthusiasm for the allegedly-better sequel.

Fairfax

Arcane
Hard to say with sequel fatigue syndrome https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-sales-of-incline.98915/page-14#post-4597393
Sequels to surprisingly popular games usually do better, not worse. That's more of a KS fatigue/reality check syndrome. They had extensive media coverage and word of mouth for years, all based on nostalgia and ambitious promises. Some sold very well because of it, but their popularity was artificial. These indie devs couldn't tell a genuine success (D:OS) from a one-hit wonder, so they decided to double down, but most people didn't come back for more. To be fair, Stoic had to finish what they promised (or at least try). Obsidian making a direct sequel with full VO and a season pass was pure arrogance, though.

I dunno, XCOM was noteworthy for being a successful AAA turn-based game, and you can see its influence in nearly every turn-based game released afterward, but it didn't result in any enthusiasm for the allegedly-better sequel.
?
The sequel sold VERY well on PC.
It tanked on consoles, but so did the first.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The sequel sold VERY well on PC.
It tanked on consoles, but so did the first.
Sure, over time, with discounts. But as VD noted in that post I linked to, its initial sales were rather sluggish, couldn't even sell a million in four months.

(there's always a chance [a small chance :lol:] Deadfire will also take off with discounts, and more of a sure thing with Kingmaker)

YldriE

Learned
That's actually the only thing that would make sense: making the protagonist of BG1/2 the villain of BG3, maybe with an option to save him in the end.
It doesn't absolutely have to be a direct continuation, the Dark Alliance spin-offs share the base title and are otherwise completely independent. A game can be informally referred to as "Baldur's Gate 3" even though plotwise it's unrelated, maybe even a new series with a new subtitle.

Not all stories need to be continued, though I'll admit I thought there wasn't anything more to say about the Bhaalspawn and you completely changed my mind.

Larian would not be a good candidate for this at all. They make fantastic turn based combat, a great graphics engine (albeit not well optimized) and have fun gameplay BUT their writing is so poor, it actually detracts from all the prior items ultimately making people like me quit their games half way just because the writing keeps puling you out of the game. It is absolutely horrendous. Though BG series didn't have stellar plot, it did have cohesive, falvorful writing that immersed you into the game and into the quests, especially BG II. The writing made you care for characters and NPCs. Larian's track record states they will fuck that up badly, and their retarded sense of humor will make the plot into an inane joke.
I couldn't agree more, the unending stream of unfunny turned me off these games that I otherwise expected to enjoy. At some point if you tell me your game is going to last me 100 hours then I will need to give half a shit about who is who and what's going on and that just wasn't going to happen. Humour is one thing, the entire world being a clown show is another.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Larian should get back to the Divine/Beyond Divinity narrative or style. I don't remember who was the bad guy in OS1/2(maybe because i didn't finish it :D) and what it was actually about.

Rev

Arcane
XCOM 2 was at almost 2 million copies on Steamspy before they had to change how they process their data, against like 3.5 millions of the first game which was released 4 years before and had been discounted many times.
Hardly a case of a low performing sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom