Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What? Interplay is not even a studio. Prolly Earthworm Jim ported to PC or something (by others, cause they have no staff).

I stumbled on this by concidence. It is relatively old, but could it mean something?!
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-lead-designer-james-ohlen-has-left-bioware-after-22-years/

Quote:
"The most fun I've ever had at BioWare was as the lead designer on Baldur's Gate 1+2 and NWN. I've been a D&D fanatic since I was 10 years old and I want to be a part of it again,"

Maybe he is coworking secretly on BG3, if so I don`t believe it would be Dark Alliance.

:dgaider:

https://www.arcanumworlds.com/

deama

Prophet
Am I the only one who wants to see a direct sequel to BG2? What's so bad about continueing the plot into godhood? Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?

Sentinel

Arcane
Am I the only one who wants to see a direct sequel to BG2? What's so bad about continueing the plot into godhood? Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?
'Cause everyone already got an ending in Throne of Bhaal.
Ye, and everyone already got an ending in the original baldur's gate, but then it got a direct sequel.
Hmmm, what? BG1 has a shitty FMV scene and the game boots you to the main menu. There's no ending. Only thing it was missing was the "wait for the sequel" message.

deama

Prophet
Ye, and everyone already got an ending in the original baldur's gate, but then it got a direct sequel.
Hmmm, what? BG1 has a shitty FMV scene and the game boots you to the main menu. There's no ending. Only thing it was missing was the "wait for the sequel" message.
I'd say that was due to the devs running out of time/budget.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'd say you're wrong, considering they planned a sequel from the very start.

deama

Prophet
Ye, just like soul reaver where they ran out of money/time to finish the game so they "planned" a sequel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BG has a complete narrative. The final cinematic is a typical open ending.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
This as an idea for High Level AD&D:
Inspired by Eador:Genesis
  • You are a small god competing with other gods.
  • You have to visit some planes to occupy them to reach a new level of power.
  • Every time you visit a new plane on which you "have to" create a new avatar.
  • You can take some stats or objects/equipments/Companions to the new plane.
  • You can`t really die.
Inspired by Pathfinder Kingmaker
  • Before visiting a plane you build your avatar with (selfmade) companions
  • Everytime you visit a plane you "have to" build an army/base and battle the ancient power that rules there(It doesn`t have to be necessarily be a god)
  • To do that you can take help from the other planes you own
  • When on a plane you have a party to explore its secrets/lore/people
  • You can also take part in a small final boss war battle with your party and soldiers(Ever tried to spam a strong enemy with sceletons in Pathfinder:Kingmaker?! No? You can!)
Inspired by D:OS & XCOM
  • Destroyable objects, buildings, etc.
Optional
  • Turnbased

I personally want to see something like that in an improved Infinity Engine game.
Alternatively in the engine which Temple of elemental evil is made.

:shredder:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a mistake for you to think of this upcoming game, if it is even coming, as of a Baldur's Gate III. It's been 17 years. Different people will make a different game for a different audience. And yes, probably slap a "Baldur's Gate III" logo to it, but what does that change? It won't give you 15 years back.

hell bovine

Arcane
I've had enough of the Bhaalspawn after ToB, for all I care he can be growing turnips with Jan in his divine backyard.

The only Baldur's Gate adventure I'd like to play would be a prequel going on a sea expedition with Balduran. A proper explorer adventure DnD-style. But that's not going to happen, so...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldur’s Gate II had a solid ending that doesn’t need a sequel. Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II, on the other hand, had an ending that alluded to a third game.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
What?! The ending movie strongly indicates the world is swarming with children of Bhaal and you changed nothing killing Sarevok. It's like "to be continued" in your face.

Sentinel

Arcane
Ye, just like soul reaver where they ran out of money/time to finish the game so they "planned" a sequel.
Ok retard, believe what you want. BG1 was conceived to be continued in a sequel no matter what you want to think. Throne of Bhaal ends with a complete ending for every character in the game. Your delusion won't change any of this.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with a direct continuation is not what kind of epic story would be appropriate, but the usual issues with the clusterfuck that is epic level D&D. The smartest move would be to name it BG3 and have it tangentially related to the events of the previous games. You bank on nostalgia, which seems the only way to hype people and then make an actually good game that will hook people in.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The smartest move would be to call it "BGIII" not because they are continuing the story, but because they have the same characteristic traits of BG/BGII. What are they though:
1. An epic journey through a region of the Forgotten Realms - whether it's more "open-world" like BGI or more directed like BGII.
2. Make it a big, expansive game - that goes without saying
3. Keep the style and tone closer to Pathfinder Kingmaker and farther from Pillars.

deama

Prophet
What?! The ending movie strongly indicates the world is swarming with children of Bhaal and you changed nothing killing Sarevok. It's like "to be continued" in your face.

Like I said, that was more on the part of the devs running out of money/time so they quickly created a "sequel" cinematic.

deama

Prophet
Ok, ok guys, you got me, I was pulling your guys' legs. I'm sorry:cry:, I just really want a godhood DnD type game, not another low level DnD adventure like we've had dozens of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom