Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'll be forever curious as to how good the true projected BG3 was going to be. Probably as fugly as NWN1, but maybe great in other aspects.

Black Isle's dissolution was even more tragic than Sega and their Dreamcast.

BG3 now? Probably modern SJW popamole shit.

Rev

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kristjanson confirmed that they had no idea who the robe guys were when they made that scene. It was just something they thought would be a cool tease.

Like I said, that was more on the part of the devs running out of money/time so they quickly created a "sequel" cinematic.

Consider how narratives and conflicts are crafted. BG was solely about dealing with Sarevok; all that Bhaalspawn stuff was just motivation for why he'd mess with you in the first place and a plot hook for a potential sequel.

Fairfax

Arcane
I'll be forever curious as to how good the true projected BG3 was going to be. Probably as fugly as NWN1, but maybe great in other aspects.
The Black Hound was hardly a "true BG3", since it had nothing to do with BG. It was called BG3 because Interplay's settlement with Hasbro only allowed them to make D&D games called "Baldur's Gate" and "Icewind Dale".

As for the game itself, I think people overestimate its potential. It had too many things going against it:
  • 3D engine from scratch. Interplay and BIS had a notoriously bad record with 3D engines, and BG3 was no different. It supposedly looked better than NWN, but the art pipeline was "frustrating", and making new areas was extremely difficult.
  • 3.0 ruleset was quite a lot to implement, especially in a brand new engine. And 3.5 was right around the corner. The game's ruleset would've been outdated (and inferior, as 3.0 was) at launch unless they went through another IWD2 situation.
  • Extremely ambitious scope. The game world was supposed to be bigger than BG2, with 3 majors regions (each with regional reputations) and multiple major cities. It also had 8 factions + sub-factions.
  • Convoluted plot (according to Sawyer himself).
  • Black Isle's most talented devs were either gone or focused on other projects (Vance Kovacs was a notable exception). Sawyer later admitted he was in over his head as Lead Designer, and Parker was the Producer/Director.

Cael

Arcane
Just remember, guys, that the BG IP is now in the hands of cuckdog.

If a BG3 gets made now, it is going to be on a far different tier than BG1/2. If you think SoD was bad... well, grip your beer tightly.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
BG has a complete narrative. The final cinematic is a typical open ending.

Very nice ending too. Everything about Baldur's Gate felt like a fairly polished home made P&P campaign, the ending being open, fits very well in that scenario - there's always next weeks session.

Kristjanson confirmed that they had no idea who the robe guys were when they made that scene. It was just something they thought would be a cool tease.

While BG2 felt way more like a computer game, it had no connection to BG1 except for that ending cinematic - and that ending cinematic is there just because this is ostensibly a sequel to BG, but really it isn't.

It's fairly obvious that BG2 had been developed, written and probably mostly finished, when it was decided it should be an actual *sequel* to BG. The protagonist of BG2 could have been literally any Bhaalspawn, and if not for the intro and the outro, and some random comments and characters here and there, BG2 was its own thing entirely.

I imagine the plan was originally to make a series of semi-unrelated games:
- Baldurs Gate
- Amn
- Waterdeep (or something)

Then marketing and reality left us with BG2.

Edit: Nothing connects BG1 and BG2 except superficial elements which could have been added at the last minute. That's a fact, Infinitron.

The game is called Shadows of Amn. Let's say there's a game called New York. Then it's sequel is oddly called New York 2: Shadows of Miami

BG2 was never supposed to be Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:
Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Just remember, guys, that the BG IP is now in the hands of cuckdog.

If a BG3 gets made now, it is going to be on a far different tier than BG1/2. If you think SoD was bad... well, grip your beer tightly.

Just find an isolated amazon tribe and task them with making the game but don't get them into the civilization before it's done.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Am I the only one who wants to see a direct sequel to BG2? What's so bad about continueing the plot into godhood? Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?
'Cause everyone already got an ending in Throne of Bhaal.
Ye, and everyone already got an ending in the original baldur's gate, but then it got a direct sequel.
Hmmm, what? BG1 has a shitty FMV scene and the game boots you to the main menu. There's no ending. Only thing it was missing was the "wait for the sequel" message.
I'd say that was due to the devs running out of time/budget.
I'd say you're wrong, considering they planned a sequel from the very start.

They did not.

They planned a Baldur's Gate 3 ; yet by the time they got around to start working on it, they wanted to move away from the the infinity engine and the Baldur license. They decided to cut the story short, and sum it up in an extension instead of a whole new game. Throne of Bhaal IS BG3.

Sentinel

Arcane
Am I the only one who wants to see a direct sequel to BG2? What's so bad about continueing the plot into godhood? Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?
Ye, and everyone already got an ending in the original baldur's gate, but then it got a direct sequel.
Hmmm, what? BG1 has a shitty FMV scene and the game boots you to the main menu. There's no ending. Only thing it was missing was the "wait for the sequel" message.

They did not.

They planned a Baldur's Gate 3 ; yet by the time they got around to start working on it, they wanted to move away from the the infinity engine and the Baldur license. They decided to cut the story short, and sum it up in an extension instead of a whole new game. Throne of Bhaal IS BG3.
Thanks for quoting an unrelated post, retard. I was talking about BG1->BG2 though. "BG2" is "the sequel" mentioned in the bit "they planned a sequel from the very start." Now, when you quote this post, make sure your reply is at least slightly related. Thanks.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

They did not.

Thanks for quoting an unrelated post, retard. I was talking about BG1->BG2 though. "BG2" is "the sequel" mentioned in the bit "they planned a sequel from the very start." Now, when you quote this post, make sure your reply is at least slightly related. Thanks.

I'm sorry about your hemorrhoids.

What? Did they not like swimming like Scrooge McDuck in a vault full of money? Did they take offense to reviving a genre and earning legions of adoring fans? I guess they had NWN in the pipeline, but that still seems like a thin reason to walk away. Didn't it have more to do with the emergence of D&D 3.0 rule set?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What? Did they not like swimming like Scrooge McDuck in a vault full of money? Did they take offense to reviving a genre and earning legions of adoring fans? I guess they had NWN in the pipeline, but that still seems like a thin reason to walk away. Didn't it have more to do with the emergence of D&D 3.0 rule set?
All those fans went with them to NWN and Knights of the Old Republic, both of which looked more appealing to more people than that old busted Infinity Engine journalists said was showing its age in 2002 when Icewind Dale 2 was released.

Cael

Arcane
All those fans went with them to NWN and Knights of the Old Republic, both of which looked more appealing to more people than that old busted Infinity Engine journalists said was showing its age in 2002 when Icewind Dale 2 was released.
I actually didn't like the NWN graphics when it came out. I thought it was a massive step back from BG. I was impressed by the way the toons did the whole dodge, strike, parry and other combat movements so seemlessly, though. That was a big positive for NWN.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I actually didn't like the NWN graphics when it came out. I thought it was a massive step back from BG. I was impressed by the way the toons did the whole dodge, strike, parry and other combat movements so seemlessly, though. That was a big positive for NWN.
I agree, ezxcept when the combat movement you had no control of (aka the dance of death) took you right into a trap.

Elex

Arbiter
Digital games with a heavy focus on cooperative play will be another big area of focus for Wizards as well. Its biggest property right now is “Neverwinter,” a free-to-play, massively multiplayer online (MMO) role-playing game developed by Cryptic Studios.

The company wants to expand significantly on “Magic’s” huge fan base. Earlier this year it launched “Magic: The Gathering Arena” in open beta and Cocks called it “a new, very modern way to play the authentic ‘Magic’ that people love.”

“We’ll be expanding that pretty aggressively and we’ll also have several new ways to play ‘Magic’ across more and more platforms,” Cocks said. “So ‘Arena’ is on PC today, but you should expect ways to play ‘Magic’ on your phone as well as a console.”

A host of games are already in development for PC and console. The next one that’s out that’s been publicly announced is “Warriors of Waterdeep,” by Ludia, which is a kind of a phone-based dungeon crawler, based on the iconic “D&D” city of Waterdeep.
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/littl...izards-coast-leader-stays-ever-evolving-game/

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
kind of a phone-based dungeon crawler

OddBestDungenesscrab-max-1mb.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that Microsoft has purchased both Obsidian and inXile, we must consider the possibility of a Microsoft-developed BG3.
It's a mistake for you to think of this upcoming game, if it is even coming, as of a Baldur's Gate III. It's been 17 years. Different people will make a different game for a different audience. And yes, probably slap a "Baldur's Gate III" logo to it, but what does that change? It won't give you 15 years back.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, there is nothing worth caring about any potential future product by some dudes called Baldur's Gate III, until and if we learn whether it is a real RPG and whta kind of features it actually has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom