Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

YldriE

Learned
At least the success of Original Sin is good news: barely a few years ago, the idea that turn-based combat in a high-profile game could have mass casual appeal would have sounded completely absurd. A semi-faithful BG3 sounds a lot less like a financial gamble now.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
At least the success of Original Sin is good news: barely a few years ago, the idea that turn-based combat in a high-profile game could have mass casual appeal would have sounded completely absurd.

We are completely discounting jRPGs, Civ 5, XCOM, and Hearthstone here, right?

YldriE

Learned
Yes. Japanese RPGs are given a pass for being Japanese, Civ5 is strategy, XCOM is essentially Fire Emblem with guns, and Hearthstone is a motherfucking cartoon card game. Original Sin is a typical high-profile Western romp with traditional RPG plot progression and exploration, it has no gimmick to go for it except maybe its humour. It's a game made for the mass market, and the mass market swallowed it whole.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Sounds like a shitpost but as others said if it's indeed true I'd love to see this iteration adopting a ToEE/Dark Sun combat system.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Having just finished Throne of Bhaal, it's clear that it's the third part and logical conclusion of the Baldur's Gate story.

A third full game would probably be a new story "in the style of Baldur's Gate."

Falksi

Arcane
I disagree. Replayed BG2 last year and enjoyed it a lot. Played Deadfire this year and also enjoyed it a lot. Good games are good games, period.

They ARE good games. But they will never become what fans expect them to become. You are the exception because you keep a balanced view and can see that PoE was a good game. Most cannot. For most, PoE was an abomination, not objectively speaking, but on an emotional level.

Remember, entertainment is first and foremost about emotions, not about brains. Stuff that is about activating our brains are mostly called "work". We don't use entertainment for our brains, we use it for our emotional well being, for having "fun". Sure, some games are more "brainy" than others, but still we judge games mostly based on how they make us feel.

For example look at Ubisoft games, they are technically stellar. They have great graphics, great combat systems, nice open worlds, lots of stuff to do. If we played them with our brains, we would be happy because they are technically sound products. But they have no SOUL, most of us find them mass market trash, empty inside, they don't make us feel anything. They fail to engage our emotional world. Which is why we look down on them.

Same with Skyrim. A nice open world game but many people couldn't connect with it emotionally so they called it garbage.

On the other hand, Witcher 3, while more or less the same open world thing, actually managed to engage with the players emotionally due to well written characters and story. People connected emotionally with this product and thus they rated it highly!

And that is the issue for most PoE haters: It didn't manage to connect with them emotionally, especially since they expected it to make them feel like Baldur's Gate did 20 years ago. On a technical level, PoE is even better than BG in many ways, but emotionally it is not.

So people who can judge more objectively can have fun with PoE but people who expected something else are put off by it. It is not rocket science.

Unrealistic expectations always lead to disappointment.

Think you have some fair points, but I was someone who played PoE without any real expectancy or hype (I'd not followed any of the build up, and the most I knew about it was that it was an isometric fantasy RPG) and I thought it was a bit shit tbh.

On first playthrough I did have a fair amount of fun with it, but quit around 2/3rds in due to bugs & items disappearing.

But my main gripes were 1) The combat was dull, mainly due to the "per rest" function meaning you reverted to "per-encounter" abilities first, and that was enough to usually see you through to the end of the battle anyway; 2) it's natural flow was really linear, and when replaying there was hardly anything new to see, nor any new angles to approach it from.

It's an OK game, but apart from the pathfinding & slightly more unique additions such as Godlings, it's not a patch on BG1 or 2.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Think you have some fair points, but I was someone who played PoE without any real expectancy or hype (I'd not followed any of the build up, and the most I knew about it was that it was an isometric fantasy RPG) and I thought it was a bit shit tbh.

Again, POE 1 was sort of average, but the White March expansions were already much better and more fun. Deadfire continued the incline is also much better than vanilla POE 1.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Most of the stuff that people complained about has been fixed or changed. Having your own ship is great, the pirates stuff is fun, lots of unique items, Darklands-style CYOA stuff, etc.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yes, for combatfags, it's probably somewhat incline. IMO, the writing still ranges from mediocre to dreadful though, and (unless the recent DLC changed the ending) the main plot is dumb.

jewboy

Arbiter
I would like to remind people that:

1) Aside from PS:T and to a lesser extent MoTB no cRPGs have been good or fun to play because of their cheezy amateurish badly written stories. Bad stories should not be encouraged, but they work for this medium.
2) The story in BG2 was cliched and boring and very badly written. Most of the NPCs were actually annoying as fuck. Imoen and Jaheira must have been written by women-haters they were so annoying and Minsc was legendarily bad. The text seemed targeted towards 5 year olds. Even Dragon Age had a better story I think. I liked the part about how wizards were persecuted and hunted for instance. Not very original but a fun premise. I can't think of any cRPG no matter how bad that had a worse story than BG2. It was that bad imo.

BG2 was fun because of the varied and interesting combat and the wizard vs wizard battles and because 2nd Ed D&D did not suck. Any story would have worked just as well as that shitty one. We definitely don't need or want any sort of sequel to the total retardation that was the BG2 story, but I would certainly like to see a D20 or Pathfinder or new-but-nonshitty combat system that attempts to capture what made BG2 combat fun. And of course don't forget about SCS. It was a huge improvement to the combat with much better AI. I think it shows that making the combat harder is almost never a bad thing if done by making the AI enemies do the same sort of stuff that the players do like having a hard-on for casters and other squishies. The Tank + Glass Cannon strategy doesn't work too well when your glass cannon gets shattered in the first few rounds every time. It forces you to really plan and strategize and that was actually a thing in BG2. Planning actually helped unlike in PoE were it makes no difference.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Yes, for combatfags, it's probably somewhat incline. IMO, the writing still ranges from mediocre to dreadful though, and (unless the recent DLC changed the ending) the main plot is dumb.
Nigga who the fuck cares about writing in fucking videogame for transsexuals, wanna writing read some gay romance novels.

No game has good writing.

1) Aside from PS:T and to a lesser extent MoTB no cRPGs have been good or fun to play because of their cheezy amateurish badly written stories. Bad stories should not be encouraged, but they work for this medium.
2) The story in BG2 was cliched and boring and very badly written. Most of the NPCs were actually annoying as fuck. Imoen and Jaheira must have been written by women-haters they were so annoying and Minsc was legendarily bad. The text seemed targeted towards 5 year olds. Even Dragon Age had a better story I think. I liked the part about how wizards were persecuted and hunted for instance. Not very original but a fun premise. I can't think of any cRPG no matter how bad that had a worse story than BG2. It was that bad imo.

Holy shit. Dragon Age was a boring, grimdark, LotR, with poorly executed trope subversion(s). From the moment I met (I'M THE OBVIOUS VILLAIN) Loghain, my gut clenched from impending disappointment. It was entirely validated by the hopelessly generic writing. The writing of Baldur's Gate exceeded it in every way. The only fault of the NPCs in BG, were being before the standardization of full voice acting and profile conversation. It's ironic how you liked the mage persecution in DA:O, but gloss over The Cowled Wizards of Athkatla. They were a corrupt cartel of wizards that has criminalized magic outside of their possession. At least in BG2 you had to pay a large fee or face very real consequences for being a wizard. In DA:O where wizards are outcast, exactly no consequence occurs for being one, under any circumstance.

Yosharian

Arcane

Holy shit. Dragon Age was a boring, grimdark, LotR, with poorly executed trope subversion(s). From the moment I met (I'M THE OBVIOUS VILLAIN) Loghain, my gut clenched from impending disappointment. It was entirely validated by the hopelessly generic writing. The writing of Baldur's Gate exceeded it in every way. The only fault of the NPCs in BG, were being before the standardization of full voice acting and profile conversation. It's ironic how you liked the mage persecution in DA:O, but gloss over The Cowled Wizards of Athkatla. They were a corrupt cartel of wizards that has criminalized magic outside of their possession. At least in BG2 you had to pay a large fee or face very real consequences for being a wizard. In DA:O where wizards are outcast, exactly no consequence occurs for being one, under any circumstance.
Exactly! You can just walk around casting shit like nobody cares. It's so stupid. And it makes even less sense in DA2, where that whole mage persecution thing is a much bigger plot point.

Loghain is just a godawful character, I cheered when he died, obnoxious cunt that he was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom