Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Bester, Sep 21, 2018.

1. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Parrots:
    They have four offices in Belgium, Ireland, Russia and Canada, employing "over 150 people" according to their website. Additionally, they currently have job postings for 30 open positions.

How many projects do you need to occupy ~180 workers?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    ^ Top  
  2. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Parrots:
    Can't wait for a Larian Baldur's Gate game.

Always wanted to hear Sarevok and Irenicus discuss cats.

• Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Elex Scholar

Elex
    Parrots:
    i hope is going to be D&D 5e vs pathfinder.

^ Top  
  4. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    5e is not a good fit for a computer game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Cant wait for Mcuck and danger hair squad to manage make even generic fantasy worse, that would be a really epic feat. Just a little dose of current year bullshit can do wonders.

There is a chance they are using the engine for DOS, but butchered TB with popamole rules isnt what I would call incline.

There is a chance Mcuck learned his lesson from NumaNuma and Wizards of the coast force Larian to use 5e rules, especially after Sword Coast Legends debacle but Im a cynic and Humanity isnt a learning animal...

You guise should keep in mind that BG 1 and 2 were rtwp, só there is a big chance for Bg3 to be as well because of popamolers expectations.

Larian arent composed of ruskie grognards but Belgian cucks so the chance of popamole is high on this one.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dodo1610 Educated

Dodo1610
    Parrots:
    1 big or 2 smaller ones. Makeing only 1 big title is very risky and now that they have the resources to make more then 1 game at a time it's plain stupid. I am pretty sure that larian will announce their next game in 2019

^ Top  
  7. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    Parrots:
    The Baldur's Gate story is over, and it ended with relatively few loose ends. A new series set in the city would not be particularly appealing - why Baldur's Gate? why not a different city? - and I don't see how it'd match up with today's Dungeons and Dragons players. The only benefit is the franchise name and potential nostalgia, but once people learn it's a different story with different characters, why would they bother?

A new Dungeons and Dragons game can be very successful. But they should be taking advantage of the recent revival of pen and paper in online contexts, and use settings that have become popular there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Bester Arcane Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    Prequels are just as much a thing as sequels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    BG3 from Black Isle was also supposed to be unrelated to the series.

It's all about cashing in on big names.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Steezus Novice Patron

Steezus
    Parrots:
    Because everybody would complain how the new Baldur's Gate doesn't match up with the older games after they bought it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Aemar Educated

Aemar
    Parrots:
    None, if you'd ask Chris Roberts.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. Dodo1610 Educated

Dodo1610
    Parrots:
    Is BG really a big name now or in 2 years?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Steezus Novice Patron

Steezus
    Parrots:
    I think it's big enough. So many cRPGs still name drop BG as reference or inspiration and people flock to it. Beamdog's entire existence can be attributed to their shitty EE remakes of BG and I bet the sales of those games are substantially higher than those of IW or PST EEs. BG2 is still considered to be one of the, if not the best cRPG by many.

Honestly, I could imagine that the brand would carry even more weight in two years than it does now. "Hey, Pillars was cool, but now it's finally time for the reeeel deeeeeel!!!" :shittydog:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Xeon Liturgist

Xeon
    Parrots:
    It will probably have similar to PoE1's popularity and sales if it comes out I think. Might get more sales if it has multiplayer or DOS kinda things or something maybe but don't think its the kinda thing that will sell millions or something.

^ Top  
  15. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    OMg! A sequel to Baldur's Gate that uses D&D 5E? That's so fucking awesome I can't w-

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Nuke it from orbit x 7
    • WTF am I reading x 6
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Pathfinder proves that a new D&D rpg can be successful, it also proves that developers are more than willing to prey on this nostalgia and released fucked up unfinished versions of their games.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    People have been getting a little too excited here. Pathfinder: Kingmaker sales numbers would probably be a BIG FAIL for Larian.

• Agree x 4
    • retadred x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Actually, using DnD 3.5 or 5 would force them to use a sensible TB system instead of the experiments of D:OS2, so that could be quite an improvement!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Fixed that for you

• Yes Yes x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lukrame Educated

Lukrame
    Parrots:
    I have never played any baldur gate game and I liked the original sin series so I'm pretty happy.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. mustawd. Magister

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    Fairfax is right. They can either license the IP, which is not the same as buying IP. They can also be hired to work on the IP with maybe some cool perks/incentives other no name developers moght not get (e.g. Nspace).

Sure, but it’s a pointless comparison as they don’t have the same production values or marketing sense.

Also, no MP or consoles right?

EDIT: Also, let’s get real here. A proper DnD game would do much better than some offshoot from more than a decade ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Fuck Baldur's Gate and fuck the Forgotten Realms, they both suck. NPCs asking random strangers for help with their menial chores in a kitchen sink setting, isn't that the worst RPGs have to offer? Can't we get something new in a different setting? A non-generic D&D game?

I guess asking for this is all too fabulously optimistic. All one can say is: may the next BG installment fail spectacularly, so that the franchise remains buried forever. Its death would only be a mercy.

• Edgy x 8
    • Brofist x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Elex Scholar

Elex
    Parrots:
    in the lore of 5e elf originally have no form and they are basically aliens. If the keep this stuff only for elf i’m fine.
    not random stranger: murderhobos. NPC give quest to murderhobo in the hope they get killed and never come back.

^ Top  
  24. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Parrots:
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Multi-headed Cow Educated

Multi-headed Cow
    Parrots:
    It's almost like by namedropping that he gets his name posted on game journo webpages. His name which is likely associated with a recently released game, bringing it exposure. Whatever did he mean by this?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)