Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where do we stand with David Gaider's Ascension mod these days? I remember mentioning it to him waaay back on the Bioware forum's, and he was saying that the stuff I found irritating - like having to use the harm spell to kill a certain enemy in the final TOB battle, wasn't really his thing - because it had been modified further. I also remember them taking items from you in the SOA battle - or was that a different mod?.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I see the modding scence is just as confusing as ever. I spent a few hours browsing, and currently think that:

EET is going down the route of making BG,TOTSC,SOD,SOA,TOB and IWD1 with bits of IWD2 into one large gigantic experience. And then allowing for modders to add their mods once it's done.

BGT (Baldurs Gate Trilogy) has been upgraded into something called BWP (BG Trilogy + Big Picture = Big World Project?) that seeks to implement the original BG games in the BG2 engine across the whole trilogy with as much mod support as possible. So; the Drizzt Sage, Check The Bodies and so on...

I've been devoting about 20min each day over the past few days to try to get updated on the BG modding scene, but these two mods seem to be the two main ones. I haven't checked compatibility for other mods like the BG1NPC project and Unfinished Buisness yet.

roshan

Arcane
I see the modding scence is just as confusing as ever. I spent a few hours browsing, and currently think that:

EET is going down the route of making BG,TOTSC,SOD,SOA,TOB and IWD1 with bits of IWD2 into one large gigantic experience. And then allowing for modders to add their mods once it's done.

BGT (Baldurs Gate Trilogy) has been upgraded into something called BWP (BG Trilogy + Big Picture = Big World Project?) that seeks to implement the original BG games in the BG2 engine across the whole trilogy with as much mod support as possible. So; the Drizzt Sage, Check The Bodies and so on...

I've been devoting about 20min each day over the past few days to try to get updated on the BG modding scene, but these two mods seem to be the two main ones. I haven't checked compatibility for other mods like the BG1NPC project and Unfinished Buisness yet.

I think most significant mods are EET compatible. There's an automated installer for it too which seems to be continuously updated.

https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/

Just pick whatever mods/components you want and let it run.

hell bovine

Arcane
Where do we stand with David Gaider's Ascension mod these days? I remember mentioning it to him waaay back on the Bioware forum's, and he was saying that the stuff I found irritating - like having to use the harm spell to kill a certain enemy in the final TOB battle, wasn't really his thing - because it had been modified further. I also remember them taking items from you in the SOA battle - or was that a different mod?.
That was the Tactics hell battle.

I don't recall any enemy in the Ascension final battle that'd require harm. It might make some of them easier, but they're killable by other means, considering the mod has been soloed by most classes by now.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for replies - I still can't brofist anything yet. I never really nothered with mods after playing a few for several hundred hours every few years only to come to a game destroying bug. Looking here:
https://rawgit.com/K4thos/EET-Compatibility-List/master/EET-Compatibility-List.html
I have to say that the G3 community seem to be more organized. I'm tempted to download everything for BWP as well, but the modder makes it clear that each mod in the readme is compatible, but all of them installed in any order may not be.

So it seem on the surface that the EE setup tool: file:///C:/Users/a/AppData/Local/Temp/The%20EE%20Game%20Setup%20Tool.pdf has an advantage over Weidu?.
I wish all of these talented modders would combine their efforts, but then it seems that BWP/SHS is more focused on the original engine, and G3 on the EE's.

hell bovine

Arcane
The EE/BWS tool is there to simplify the process when you're installing many mods at the same time, by checking the compatibility and putting them in the correct install order; weidu is still used for the actual installation.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The EE/BWS tool is there to simplify the process when you're installing many mods at the same time, by checking the compatibility and putting them in the correct install order; weidu is still used for the actual installation.

Thanks. On another note: Gibberling 3 doesn't stay online much does it...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone successfully done a mega-installation? I'm gonna try the BWP install: it has approx 291 mods that are apparently compatible (it sorts through them and places them in order). The only hiccup I can see is if I try a combination nobody else has, or I don't bother to check which mods need other ones to work.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Has anyone successfully done a mega-installation? I'm gonna try the BWP install: it has approx 291 mods that are apparently compatible (it sorts through them and places them in order). The only hiccup I can see is if I try a combination nobody else has, or I don't bother to check which mods need other ones to work.

giphy.gif

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I never really bothered with mods because they were always broken. I'm now slightly optimistic that after 20 years the ones for the original game might be ok. I realize it's a lot like walking into an S&M club in Amsterdam with a dartboard hanging around your back - but surely it's worth trying at least once right?.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I never really bothered with mods because they were always broken. I'm now slightly optimistic that after 20 years the ones for the original game might be ok. I realize it's a lot like walking into an S&M club in Amsterdam with a dartboard hanging around your back - but surely it's worth trying at least once right?.

I stand corrected. I totally think you should install 290 mods and report back to us on the outcome.

hell bovine

Arcane
My guess it's more like a wild mage on an acid trip. What doesn't kill you turns you into a squirrel.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
So I've just finished downloading and sorting all mods. Exactly 80 in total. Going cross-eyed. So 80 out of 290. I sorted them into 3 categories in order of priority, with 11 in the first - ones that I know will work, like SCS, Widescreen mod, etc.
I know modders put the time in, but their sites just take the piss. After 15 hours of geting it all in order, the last page setailed x3 mods that patch the mega-mod installation: Creature, area, and item patchers;- and I can't fucking find them.
I'm just remembering why I never bothered with all this in the past.

On a positive note, there are x2 mods that really caught my eye: BG1 casting sounds ('cause they were superior) and a mod that scripts a hot key in for quick weapon switching (2 hander bows/melee to TWF or single weapons) which is pretty much the only reason I spent money on the EE in the first place. That's really a big deal for me. Amazing that I had to find it myself and it was never mentioned anywhere, you know, prestigeous. :negative:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
My guess it's more like a wild mage on an acid trip. What doesn't kill you turns you into a squirrel.

Sorry, forgot to reply:

The version I played had Yaga Shura at full power. Don't know if there was other ways to kill him, but I had to use harm. When they were talking about making Ascension official pre-EE release on the Beamdog forums, the argument I made against it was that it was weighted more in favor of a power gaming final battle than a roleplaying one; for the simple reason that I waanted Sarevok to kill him and didn't want to experiment with a way for him to do it and possibly fail when there was a clearer option available.

roshan

Arcane
So I've just finished downloading and sorting all mods. Exactly 80 in total. Going cross-eyed. So 80 out of 290. I sorted them into 3 categories in order of priority, with 11 in the first - ones that I know will work, like SCS, Widescreen mod, etc.
I know modders put the time in, but their sites just take the piss. After 15 hours of geting it all in order, the last page setailed x3 mods that patch the mega-mod installation: Creature, area, and item patchers;- and I can't fucking find them.

On a positive note, there are x2 mods that really caught my eye: BG1 casting sounds ('cause they were superior) and a mod that scripts a hot key in for quick weapon switching (2 hander bows/melee to TWF or single weapons) which is pretty much the only reason I spent money on the EE in the first place. That's really a big deal for me. Amazing that I had to find it myself and it was never mentioned anywhere, you know, prestigeous. :negative:

Are you installing on EE or original BG2?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Original, Big World Picture.

So...predictably I've just wasted about 30 hours of my life. I've got an issue with modders that I've had for over 20 years: either they don't provide instructions on the mods they've spent years working on, or the instructions are not consitant and/or relevant. BWP is a classic example; guy writes a huge readme file, early on it says "Default BG 2 install path is...As of BWPv10.1 you can install BG2 in any folder and rename the folder as desired" further down in the readme (after I've spent 3 hours installing the game) "Make absolutely sure that the folder to which you run the installation is name BGII - SoA .. as the entire installation will fail".

Take this:
"The BW Install pack is designed to install all the mods that are currently existing in your BGII - SoA folder..do not unhesitatingly throw all mods into the BG2 folder..."

So you assume that all mods go in the BG2 directory, but it contradicts his actual install instructions from earlier on:

"Download all mods that you are interested in into a seperate folder named BiG World Downloads. The BiG World Install.bat unpacks all mods out of this folder into your BGII - SoA folder.
Then just below:
"Copy all content into your BG2 - SoA folder".

What actually happens: You download the mods into a folder, name it BiG World Downloads (or the install doesn't work), it extracts all mods into the same folder - I run the game and nothing happens, I then try to interpret the above and copy all extracted files into BG2's install directory;- run the game ... and nothing happens.

All I wanted was to go on bro-friendly but faggy/badly written journey with Drizzt and later Artemis Entreri in BG2. :argh:

roshan

Arcane

So...predictably I've just wasted about 30 hours of my life. I've got an issue with modders that I've had for over 20 years: either they don't provide instructions on the mods they've spent years working on, or the instructions are not consitant and/or relevant. BWP is a classic example; guy writes a huge readme file, early on it says "Default BG 2 install path is...As of BWPv10.1 you can install BG2 in any folder and rename the folder as desired" further down in the readme (after I've spent 3 hours installing the game) "Make absolutely sure that the folder to which you run the installation is name BGII - SoA .. as the entire installation will fail".

Take this:
"The BW Install pack is designed to install all the mods that are currently existing in your BGII - SoA folder..do not unhesitatingly throw all mods into the BG2 folder..."

So you assume that all mods go in the BG2 directory, but it contradicts his actual install instructions from earlier on:

"Download all mods that you are interested in into a seperate folder named BiG World Downloads. The BiG World Install.bat unpacks all mods out of this folder into your BGII - SoA folder.
Then just below:

What actually happens: You download the mods into a folder, name it BiG World Downloads (or the install doesn't work), it extracts all mods into the same folder - I run the game and nothing happens, I then try to interpret the above and copy all extracted files into BG2's install directory;- run the game ... and nothing happens.

All I wanted was to go on bro-friendly but faggy/badly written journey with Drizzt and later Artemis Entreri in BG2. :argh:

That's why automated install tools are fucking awesome. I used the link I gave you to install EET with a whole bunch of mods, worked like a charm. EET is the way to go now, not BGT/BWP.

https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Take this:

Then just below:

If only there was a tool that automated BWP installs... Oh wait there is!

https://github.com/BigWorldSetup/BigWorldSetup

Oh shit it doesn't support BG/BG2 original anymore. Damn.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the link; I just realized I said I installed the Big Worl Picture like a retard, it's actually the Big World Project on the original CD version. So you got, BP, BWP, BGT, BWS...there should just be a 'c' in there somewhere.

I've got a working BG Trilogy going, so am gonna try this with about 80 or so mods, just for shits and giggles. Mod list:
1ppv4.1.0-rel.7z
7c#sartweak_v1.3.zip
AbyStoreV3.zip
AC_QUEST-master.zip
AnimalCompanions.7z
arena_v1.zip
Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.21.rar
Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.24.exe
Assassinations_v12.zip
BackBrynnlaw_v6.zip
Bearwalker_V3.0.7z
Bear_Animations_D2_v3.3.7z
bg1npc-v23.3.exe
bg1ub-v14.zip
bg2fixpack-v13.exe
BG2SoA_v3.rar
BGeeARv105.rar
BGeeWv105.rar
bgqe_v18.zip
BGSpawn_v1_12.rar
BGT118-Install.rar
bgtgraphics18.rar
BGTTweak_11.rar
BiG World Debug.txt
BiG World Fixpack v18.1.7z
BiG World Install.bat
BiG World Installpack v18.1.2.7z
BiG World Textpack v18.1 ENGLISH.7z
BoneHillv275.rar
bp-bgt-worldmap-v1023.zip
BPSeries_v03122.zip
BPv181_4611.7z
BP_Balancer_v0.33g_beta.7z
BWIP_English
BWP downloaded mods.txt
BWP_BG1_input.txt
BWP_BG2_input.txt
BWP_BGI_input.txt
BWP_BGT_input.txt
BWP_DL_input.txt
BWP_IP.log
BWP_strg.txt
BW_Herbs.zip
celestials-v7.exe
crefixer_v2.rar
CritterParts-1.1.zip
CtBv1.13a.rar
DarkHorizonsBGT212.zip
drizztsaga.zip
DSoA_v2.2.4.zip
DSotSC-v217.7z
DungeonCrawl_v10.zip
Eilistraees Song v6.6.zip
fading_promises-v7.exe
FC2.32.rar
FishingForTrouble-3.1.1.zip
freeact-v2.rar
FR_ROV_V8.rar
Ghost_v2.1.zip
HardTimes_BGT_v24.exe
ImpAsylumV101.exe
Improved_Summons.rar
infinityanimations-b5.rar
InfinitySounds_v13.zip
Innate_Fix.rar
Item_Pack_v1.8.rar
IWD Item Pack.7z
iwdification-Beta_5.exe
KaraTur.rar
mapnames-v2.zip
mwyvmtan.zip
npc_strongholds-v2.exe
ntotsc_3-0-1.zip
Oozes Lounge v2.0.zip
Oversight-v13.exe
Prestige_Kitpack_v2.zip
RoT2.zip
rr-v492.exe
RuadItemUpgrade v27.7z
Sellswords_v6.zip
setup-yeslicknpc.exe
SirinesCall_v15.zip
Southern Edge v2.20.zip
spell_rev-v3.1.03.exe
spgaunt.zip
spstuff-v11.exe
stratagems-v31.exe
StuffofTheMagi.zip
SuperFirkv1.5.zip
tbquest_windows_2.05.exe
TDDv1.14.rar
tgc1e_bgt.zip
thalantyr-WIN.rar
TheOneDrizzt_1.41.rar
the_bigg_biff.rar
ThrownHammers-master.zip
TobEx_Beta0026.rar
TowerOfDeception-4.0.1.zip
trap_rev_v1.rar
tsoaV2_1.zip
TurnaboutV1.zip
TutuGUIv18.zip
tzshop01_v6.zip
UnfinishedBusiness-v26.zip
VCv21.exe
Vecna v23 - Text Overhaul v1.1.7z
VecnaV23.rar
weidu.exe
Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v40.exe
Weimer-TacticsMod-v25.exe
Weimer-Underrep-v6.exe
wheels-v7.exe
win-randomiser-v7.zip
w_psionics_unleashed-v.0.3.zip

Edit: About 114 mods

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom