Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Parabalus

Arcane
Are any of the mega-mods considered decent?

Read a bit about DSoTSC on Lilura's blog and it seems ridiculous.

was being cordial on the dex and asking a question, while hoping for clarification from Dexers like you obviously. So do the beholders take your Balduran shield due to SCS and a specifically installed component, or is it an Ascension component such as harder Beholders?. Thanks!.

If it's annoying you that much

The variables that can be set in SCS are these (all start as 0):
  • DMWWDisableBeholderTheft - set to 1 if you want to block beholders from stealing the Cloak of Mirroring or the Shield of Balduran with their telekinesis eye.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
claiming to be "authoritative" and an "expert" does not unfortunately make you either authoritative or an expert.

Authoritative:

"Able to be trusted as being accurate or true; reliable."

1. My write-ups are accurate, true and reliable. If unintended errors or omissions are exposed by readers, I edit the write-up and credit the reader.
2. My retrospectives are based on the original and authoritative versions of the games (not the EEs). I'm the only commentator whose retrospectives contain no admixture of the EEs.
3. My blog enjoys Google authority as it pertains to the Infinity and Aurora engine. And basically any other RPG I want to write about now. I post, I get ranked within a few hours. Even expert pro-bloggers and marketing gurus know it can take 6 months just to get a degree of prominence, and up to 2 years for actual prominence. You never get there without posting King Content. Google penalizes write-ups that aren't King.

As usual, and as a shitposter lost in the shuffle and unread, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Pro-tip: You can't even take a swipe at me in this sphere, let alone talk down to me. It doesn't wash.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
3. My blog enjoys Google authority as it pertains to the Infinity and Aurora engine. And basically any other RPG I want to write about now. I post, I get ranked within a few hours. Even expert pro-bloggers and marketing gurus know it can take 6 months just to get a degree of prominence, and up to 2 years for actual prominence. You never get there without posting King Content. Google penalizes write-ups that aren't King.
This passage here reminds me that I can never tell if you're batshit or you just like to weave in some subtle trolling into otherwise normal posts.

I tend to think the latter, but you still never know.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love the way I can post a question on the Codex, and a horde of panty-knotted autists come screeching out with the answer and indignation for the manner in which it was posted. Honestly, I can't see how the Codex was even considered to be such an unfriendly place to be. :D

agris

Arcane
Patron
Parabalus stay away, stay far far away...

The only *maybe* decent one is Tower of Deception, it doesn't introduce new spells or fuck with power progression in a significant way as far as I remember, but I also think the new maps didn't match the vanilla style of the game at all and made you feel like "oh ok, I'm playing a mod now". The perspective wasn't even correct iirc.

Tigranes

Arcane
dark side is very old and its a classic bloated hodgepodge of things. i found it a curiosity but not really a quality mod. many others were never completed last i looked. shadows over soubar etc.

Parabalus

Arcane

How so? I'm not saying it isn't broken but BG and BG2 are broken, anyway (if that's what you're getting at).

The items are more broken then late ToB stuff. Stuff like

Doufas' Sabre. CMSWQ08, THAC0 +2, 1d8 +3, +1d4 magical, ApR +2, save vs. Polymorph or be Held for 3 rounds.

It really doesn't fit in a Trilogy run, that's my main angle.

The only *maybe* decent one is Tower of Deception, it doesn't introduce new spells or fuck with power progression in a significant way as far as I remember, but I also think the new maps didn't match the vanilla style of the game at all and made you feel like "oh ok, I'm playing a mod now". The perspective wasn't even correct iirc.

I played through ToD, but that's hardly a "megamod". It's just one area with, again, ridiculous loot.

Strantar

Novice

How so? I'm not saying it isn't broken but BG and BG2 are broken, anyway (if that's what you're getting at).

The items are more broken then late ToB stuff. Stuff like

Doufas' Sabre. CMSWQ08, THAC0 +2, 1d8 +3, +1d4 magical, ApR +2, save vs. Polymorph or be Held for 3 rounds.

It really doesn't fit in a Trilogy run, that's my main angle.

I played through ToD, but that's hardly a "megamod". It's just one area with, again, ridiculous loot.

Doufa's Sabre is from Dark Horizon's mod.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
SoA has the Robe of Vecna. It breaks every mage-duel encounter. You don't have to use it, but you don't have to use any item in BG quest mods either.

SoA allows for 10 ApR for Improved Haste duration (we all know how this is achieved so I won't break it down).

ToB has Spike Traps and Chain Contingencies with Project Image x3.

Any veteran could type up an essay on how SoA and ToB are broken.

Original BG also has broken items: Algernon's Cloak no-save Charms 99% of enemies. It's got 65,535 charges.

Parabalus

Arcane
SoA has the Robe of Vecna. It breaks every mage-duel encounter. You don't have to use it, but you don't have to use any item in BG quest mods either.

SoA allows for 10 ApR for Improved Haste duration (we all know how this is achieved so I won't break it down).

Original BG also has broken items: Algernon's Cloak no-save Charms 99% of enemies. It's got 65,535 charges.

It just doesn't make sense in a Trilogy run, if you get late ToB level items and XP before you get into SoA.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Got a question :

Durlag Tower. SCS mod + some other mods. 4 Warden Fights. Love, Avarice, Pride, Fear. First 3 killed. Fear remain and is unkillable - I can get him to almost dead but he cannot be killed, no matter how much spike dmg is done, always stays at "almost dead" + regenerates health quickly after. I assume this is due to some mod (SCS?) - anyone had this? - is this due to some RP reason (and player is supposed to grab a wardstone from Love remaints and go to lower level) or there is some special way of finishing Fear like in case of Trolls, etc ?

There might be a problem of scripts. I dont know what it is exactly and the correct way to deal with it.

I can tell you some ways to to deal with those script-cause problems.

Can you let him go and just run away to previous level? Absolutely get a loading screen change, then move away from the entry point and wait a while to see if he chased you across loading zones. They usually dont, though some specific maps and specific enemies may do so.

If Fear dont follow you, get a full rest, rebuff and return. He either stand at the exit zone, or nearby. And his script might be reset a bit. He will still be quite hard, but not impossible anymore.

Use some of these combo to deal with him: skeleton + cloudkill, spider spawn + web, fire elemental + continuous fire bombardment (necklace of missile, fireball, oil of explosion). Experiment~

It's probably its death script which is bugged.

Try putting this file into your override folder and see if it works.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5ypi7a

Are any of the mega-mods considered decent?

Absolutely no. They all aged terribly, and should be avoided at all cost.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Hey, scat girl, I thought you had left the Codex?
Not enough traffic on your blog?

laclongquan

Arcane
This passage here reminds me that I can never tell if you're batshit or you just like to weave in some subtle trolling into otherwise normal posts.

I tend to think the latter, but you still never know.

That was technical details, boyo. SEO speak and stuffs. it seems Lilura is one of the few girls you can sweet talk into disrobing with coding and SEO talks~

On the other hand, her blog get ranked seemingly a little faster than my webpages. But probbably because hers is blogspot and near Hongkong hub while mine was elsewhere. And English versus Vietnamese, probabbly.

Another note: original texts such as LP on Lilura is better rank than marketing text since we tend to copypasta content quite a bit AND focus terms get used more organically. I do notice mine was more prominent when I take time to write from ground up than compile from other sources.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
That was technical details, boyo.

Indeed. I don't mind dropping hints because these guys are clueless. Also, I don't mind giving these hints to my competitors because I thrive on competition.

But yes, maybe I should translate my blog into Vietnamese. And Portuguese for the Brazilians. Don't discount that, my friend (translation power).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
To expand, the following bacterium feebly attempt to devalue BG's seminal legacy at every turn. Believe me when I say, you'd better believe me, that these guys are in the most need of a vinegar dousing:

Parabalus
Tigranes
oldmanpaco
octavius
Mr. Magniloquent
Xeon
Brancalione
hell bovine

Parabalus

Arcane
To expand, the following bacterium feebly attempt to devalue BG's seminal legacy at every turn. Believe me when I say, you'd better believe me, that these guys are in the most need of a vinegar dousing:

Parabalus
Tigranes
oldmanpaco
octavius
Mr. Magniloquent
Xeon
Brancalione
hell bovine

You're advocating for fan-made mods instead of the original, authoritative versions - seems to me you're the one trampling on its legacy.

Parabalus
Tigranes
oldmanpaco
octavius
Mr. Magniloquent
Xeon
Brancalione
hell bovine

Seek help.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Symptoms
Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder, according to the DSM-5, exhibit five or more of the following, which are present by early adulthood and across contexts:

• A grandiose sense of self-importance
  • Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • Belief that one is special and can only be understood by or associate with special people or institutions
  • A need for excessive admiration
  • A sense of entitlement (to special treatment)
  • Exploitation of others
  • A lack of empathy
  • Envy of others or the belief that one is the object of envy
  • Arrogant, haughty behavior or attitudes
Individuals with NPD can be easily stung by criticism or defeat and may react with disdain or anger—but social withdrawal or the false appearance of humility may also follow according to the DSM-5.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You're advocating for fan-made mods instead of the original, authoritative versions, seems to me you're the one trampling on its legacy.

Your lies are impotent: no one in the two-decade history of BG has commentated on it more than I have.

So what if I covered a few mods for it? That's merely to exhibit the seminal engine's capability (scripting prowess and contingency-capability). This hurts you, I know.

None of the BG mods I've covered require the BG2 engine.

At this point, noble sentiments must find expression:

Write off anyone who prefers to play BG in the BG2 engine. That includes EE and its precursors: Tutu and BGT.

Generalist BG2 fanboys would be the worst of all if not for the SCS-specific ones that scrape the bottom of the barrel. It is utterly hilarious that the bacterium listed above think they are elite for playing SCS.

Parabalus

Arcane
You're advocating for fan-made mods instead of the original, authoritative versions, seems to me you're the one trampling on its legacy.

Your lies are impotent: no one in the two-decade history of BG has commentated on it more than I have.

So what if I covered a few mods for it? That's merely to exhibit the seminal engine's capability (scripting prowess and contingency-capability). This hurts you, I know.

None of the BG mods I've covered require the BG2 engine.

At this point, noble sentiments must find expression:

Write off anyone who prefers to play BG in the BG2 engine. That includes EE and its precursors: Tutu and BGT.

Generalist BG2 fanboys would be the worst of all if not for the SCS-specific ones that scrape the bottom of the barrel. It is utterly hilarious that the bacterium listed above think they are elite for playing SCS.

You don't have to play BG1 in Tutu or BGT for those mods you covered to break progression.
Importing the save into SoA does the same damage, it's just not interesting if you want to continue with the same character.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Importing the save into SoA does the same damage, it's just not interesting if you want to continue with the same character.

Only you and other zoological specimens of your kind attempt an import from a modded BG installation.

The fact that you play Trilogy tells me everything I need to know about you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom