Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So I tried to kill Shalandar, the mage from Ulgoth's beard.

LOL

basically unkillable with full SCS at lvl6. I'll come back later when I have greater malison.

Please make this font mod for the original Baldur's Gate.
Oh boy. Lilura doesn't even know the best font mod for BG2.

ae0c099dc113d17c57f7bd0895f3f652.jpg

Please sir could you tell me where to download the one on the left, that one is a million times better than the other janky shit, seems like a great mod 10/10 for sure

Are you making a joke?

NPC Project has a lot of dumb shit in it, but also some pretty fun shit in it. Dynaheir I thought was done ok for example. so lawful good mlady your fedora implodes.
Imoen giving u gift on your birthday was also nice touch, as wel as her digging into everyone's spellbooks and trying herself in magicks.
Kivan played his byronesque type well too.
Jaheira was as nagging as ever. Faldorn was nice as far as dumb eco terrorist teenagers go.

And since there are so many characters, you can just pick those whos writing you consider entertaining.

I like that mod. Makes game very lively.
And yes in all its cheesiness - it is still closer to canon writing than EE.

The NPC project is great. I feel like they fleshed everyone out exactly right. The evil NPCs in particularly were well done, specifically Xzar, Tiax, and Eldoth. Those three crack me up, especially if you party them with opposed NPCs.

Codex Year of the Donut

LOL

basically unkillable with full SCS at lvl6. I'll come back later when I have greater malison.

Please sir could you tell me where to download the one on the left, that one is a million times better than the other janky shit, seems like a great mod 10/10 for sure
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56710-bigger-fonts-for-baldurs-gate/

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

LOL

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56710-bigger-fonts-for-baldurs-gate/
There's literally a link in my post already. What the hell is going on here?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm doing a SOD run with mods (2nd time I played the game, just seeing if I can stomach it...at all), and I've noticed this graphic that appears every time I go into stealth - same one as the ankheg's ranged attack. It's a bit fucking annoying, because it does it every time I succeed at/remain in stealth.
Is this a mod that I've installed, or is it the modding attempts by Beamdog to further "improve" the game?. Thanks.

Edit: It's that artisan mod I installed, specifically for the assassin class. I'll root around in the files and delete the effect.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I have to admit (sorry Lilura, not for traditional BG1, but apparently compatible with BG2:TOB) this mod is pretty cool: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1064-animal-companions/ it's an animal companion mod. The modder managed to essentially make them a permanent party member with their own class/xp table and abilities - leopards and panthers get to backstab for example. Only thing I might add is for the wolf to be able to sneak, or the spider to detect traps.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Can you romance them? (asking for a friend)

If referring to the NPC Project: I don't know. Kivan has come out with some almost gay stuff, and I just have Jaheira, Viconia, and Imoen in the party so far.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
If your friend wants to romance an animal companion that's about as useful as a sex doll: go for it. I'm currently level 9 and my bear still has 0.5APR, 60 HP, and abysmal AC. I just tested him against a kobold and the kobold hit him 5 out of 6 swings, while he just stood there like a gummy/care bear - flailing away slowly - and missing 7 times in a row. Oh, and the modder also thought it would be balanced to give him only 18 STR - so he didn't even kill the kobolod on the 9th swing. I suggest sodding about with their attack weapon/creature file with NearInfinity or EEKeeper.

Sawyer would have made a more balanced mod.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Decided to quit my 2nd SOD playhtough with mods. The NPC project stands out as good, but the UI mods don't really work for me. The IWD one doesn't update text - so you have to scroll down all the time - whereas before it was always at the last entry (like if you fail at lockpicking a chest). And the BG2 UI in SOD mod only really half works as parts of it are still in white-on-black, text-on-background format.

I just can't deal with that shit. How can anyone make something so completly bad from the original and call it an enhancement? There's this concept of learning stlyes that all developers should know - an acronym known as VARK: Visual, Audio, Reading, Kinesthetic. The original had it sorted out, you could quickly look at the mage/sorcerer spells and identify/parse through what was what. It was all colour grouped. Now everything is black and washed out, and you have to highlight it white on faded washed out black. And the text is small despite there being a tool that should increase it.

Playing SOD is like trying to communicate something simple to a retard - it's just not worth the amount of effort you have to put in. Easier to just do it yourself. So I'm sticking to the originals and BGT from now on.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I've also installed EET and I've been playing now through BG1 with various mods.

About EET:
-Antivirus can bork your installation, disable everything while installing.
-You don't have to download again everything if you restart the installation, just point to the already downloaded file.

BG1NPC project:
It adds party banter and input. Sometimes it's entertaining but It can be annoying. Thankfully after a while they have mostly shut up. Having a mostly evil party and having killed Khalid probably helped.

The Drizzt saga:
This is an ambitious mod that adds many new areas, most of them from Icewind dale and you get a big quest with Drizzt and his friends. Back when it first came out it was probably an achievement, but now the mod seems pretty dated. The writing is very amateurish and the module is pretty linear. The worst thing about it are the badly crafted areas. They are very cramped, they make your party movement tedious and around every corner there are some enemies waiting. You also get swamped with OP items. In the very first area you find a +5 two hander and a full plate with insane protections. If you really wanna try this remove all party members except your MC since you'll recruit Drizzt and his companions along the way. I dropped it because I found exploration, movement and combat frustrating.

Dark Side Northern Tales of the Sword Coast:
This is the second big quest mod I installed and it's actually good. The upside is that it's not overly ambitious, the idea is to add small quests all around BG1 and expand some vanilla ones. The general plot is that there is a dark force on the move in the background and you interact with it in various ways. There is an overarching plot that more or less connects most of the quests, which is also nice, but nothing overly ambitious or complicated. The writing is acceptable. You get some good items, money and XP but not blatantly OP. Recommended because it adds flavor and it's not distracting.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any mod who adds more 3.5e abilities to Dragon Disciple?

I know that 3.5e is a prestige class, not an base class. The way that classes works are very different in BG and in 3.5e D&D or pathfinder, but i wanna things like for eg >
  1. Be able to be of silver, gold, green, blue, etc ancestry, not only "fire/red"
  2. Breath weapon who deals different damage depending your ancestry who can be 2 or even 3 x / day depending your level
  3. Shapeshange into an dragon and get wing effects
I tried the Tome of Blood, but honestly, no breath weapon and the fact that some spells like animate dead won't appear made me uninstall the mod... Still loved some things like crafting wands, is an amazing mod but is not what i an expecting when i read "dragon disciple"

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Having the ability to shapeshift into a bear is not going to help when you want to shapeshift into a dragon, which isn't possible. The dragon models in IE are really glitchy and I doubt Trent's team fixed them in any meaningful way. Breath weapons do not exist as "breath", they are just fire spell effects, so you're not getting a special animation or a unique texture/particle effect either.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Finished BG1, started SoD

BG1: I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it can still be. Story-wise it's nothing fancy, but the writing is competent, never overly serious but never outright silly either. Better than I remember it actually. I was also amazed at the stuff simple commoners have to say, someone spent a lot of time writing banter that apart from flavor text and lore info, also reflects current story events and player actions. The worst thing the EE added was the new companions. Worse than Saerileth-tier writing, annoying and edgy millennial juvenile drivel. The first companion I tried was a "wacky" wild mage elf that was constantly yapping and made Aerie look like heavan. Then I tried an evil half-orc blackguard. Cool voice actor, somber character, here we are, I thought... maybe this one will be good... NOPE. As soon as his personal quest started I was faced with a retarded story of revenge containing love triangles and endless cringiness. Naturally I dropped both their asses and never looked back.

SoD: From the very start it's obvious this is a continuation of the quality shown by the BGEE companions. Try-hard bottom-tier mod. I'll try to find a way to avoid it. Does anybody know a console command or mod that does this for EET?

[EDIT]
Thankfully there's an easy way to skip most of SoD:
Add SetPrivateProfileString('Script','QAMODE','1') line to baldur.lua, then in-game select Player1 and press B key. The dev menu will appear and you can skip all chapters up to the epilogue. Then you'll have to suffer 5 minutes of gameplay and 10 minutes of cutscenes and... SoD be gone!

Last edited:

chuft

Augur
Awhile ago I started a BGT-Weidu game with the intention of playing through the whole thing. Using Spell Revisions and Tweaks Anthology along with Unfinished Business and fixpack.

Things worked pretty well till I got to the final Sarevok fight in BG1. Totally broken. The enemies had BG2 high level stuff like Contingencies and Tattoo of Power, Flesh to Stone etc. In the first attempt they petrified Ajantis before I got a single attack. I played for a bit more, everything was absurdly hard, so I decided to reload and try again using Protection from Petrification.

This time Contingency Death Spell somehow insta-killed my 8th level Ajantis at the start of the fight. (This is not legal under D&D rules.)

Tried it again and Angelo constantly had fireballs going off - from arrows of detonation maybe? - and Ajantis was taking damage from them despite having an Anti-Magic Shield scroll up. (Not legal) Edwin also was getting wiped by them despite having a Minor Globe up (not legal).

My defensive spells simply did not work at all.

Sarevok, who was perma-hasted and hit three times to my one despite me also being hasted, hit AC -9 on a 2, all the enemies made saves on a 2 despite Greater Malison. Basically nothing worked as it should and the fight was impossible.

I finally killed Sarevok by using Ctrl-Y to kill his entire party plus the extra Skeleton Warriors and Battle Horrors that kept appearing, and spamming summoned monsters from a wand endlessly to block him while I shot him hundreds of times. Still lost all five other party members, which of course defeats the purpose of playing BGT in the first place, since none of them would transition to BG2.

This experience was so ridiculous that I am wondering which mod is to blame. I assume BGT is what made the enemies 30th level or whatever they effectively were. But the spells not working seems more a Spell Revision mod thing. Curious if anyone else has run into this in the final fight. I have seen spells not work before in Durlag's Tower, but in that case they simple failed to go off. Here, the graphic effects and portrait symbol were there, but they provided no actual protection.

I am loathe to use this mod to continue on to BG2 even if I use Ctrl-Y on a reload to just wipe out Sarevok from the start, since if the spell defenses don't work, BG2 is a waste of time.

Edit: Since Death Spell doesn't exist in BG1 I could not read the spell description, but from looking at my first edition PHB it looks like it can kill up to 8th level creatures, so that would be legal (although not possible in BG1, so this seems the BGT mod is adding this high level spell and making Sarevok's henchman high enough level to use it).

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I played BGT a year or two ago with quite a bit more mods, but not Spell Revisions. I didn't have that problem. Sarevok was pretty ridicilous, though.
The Tattoo of Power sounds like something from one of the BG1 quest mods.

laclongquan

Arcane
Have you tried:

1. All party drink potion of Invisibility and run away like pack of scared thieves? Drink potion is very quick, quicker than casting spell. And run away to far corner give you time to breathe and plan.

2. Send in waves of summons to eat their contigencies, high level spells etc. That is basic tactic of using fodders against bosses, really. And redrink potion Invi after that.

3. A method of cheat is to cheat creatitem the rod of resurrection in Bg2. With it you can resurrect your party whenever.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I always had this shit happen to me where bosses were impossible and illegal, but I always assumed it was due to SCS. Huh.

hell bovine

Arcane
I played BGT a year or two ago with quite a bit more mods, but not Spell Revisions. I didn't have that problem. Sarevok was pretty ridicilous, though.
The Tattoo of Power sounds like something from one of the BG1 quest mods.

Semaj's tattoo of power is actually original game. Cowlies in BG2 had them too, I think. But I've been playing with SCS (which uses contingencies and sequencers instead) for such a long time, I'm not sure.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Awhile ago I started a BGT-Weidu game with the intention of playing through the whole thing. Using Spell Revisions and Tweaks Anthology along with Unfinished Business and fixpack.

Things worked pretty well till I got to the final Sarevok fight in BG1. Totally broken. The enemies had BG2 high level stuff like Contingencies and Tattoo of Power, Flesh to Stone etc. In the first attempt they petrified Ajantis before I got a single attack. I played for a bit more, everything was absurdly hard, so I decided to reload and try again using Protection from Petrification.

This time Contingency Death Spell somehow insta-killed my 8th level Ajantis at the start of the fight. (This is not legal under D&D rules.)

Tried it again and Angelo constantly had fireballs going off - from arrows of detonation maybe? - and Ajantis was taking damage from them despite having an Anti-Magic Shield scroll up. (Not legal) Edwin also was getting wiped by them despite having a Minor Globe up (not legal).

My defensive spells simply did not work at all.

Sarevok, who was perma-hasted and hit three times to my one despite me also being hasted, hit AC -9 on a 2, all the enemies made saves on a 2 despite Greater Malison. Basically nothing worked as it should and the fight was impossible.

I finally killed Sarevok by using Ctrl-Y to kill his entire party plus the extra Skeleton Warriors and Battle Horrors that kept appearing, and spamming summoned monsters from a wand endlessly to block him while I shot him hundreds of times. Still lost all five other party members, which of course defeats the purpose of playing BGT in the first place, since none of them would transition to BG2.

This experience was so ridiculous that I am wondering which mod is to blame. I assume BGT is what made the enemies 30th level or whatever they effectively were. But the spells not working seems more a Spell Revision mod thing. Curious if anyone else has run into this in the final fight. I have seen spells not work before in Durlag's Tower, but in that case they simple failed to go off. Here, the graphic effects and portrait symbol were there, but they provided no actual protection.

I am loathe to use this mod to continue on to BG2 even if I use Ctrl-Y on a reload to just wipe out Sarevok from the start, since if the spell defenses don't work, BG2 is a waste of time.

Edit: Since Death Spell doesn't exist in BG1 I could not read the spell description, but from looking at my first edition PHB it looks like it can kill up to 8th level creatures, so that would be legal (although not possible in BG1, so this seems the BGT mod is adding this high level spell and making Sarevok's henchman high enough level to use it).

If I was playing "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" and the 4 mods were the possible answers to your million pound question; I'd be 75% sure it was the Spell Revisions mod. I'm pretty sure I did a BGT run with the other three mods and didn't have that illegal fight at the end.

It's stuff like this that has always made me leary of the IE modding community. How hard is it to simply state to people in your readme file that you've broken the rules? Becasue of...reasons?.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I finished BG1 EET with scs on hardcore and didn't have any of that crazy shit. Sarevok was pretty tough, but doable. My money is on spell revisions too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom