Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
9) Baldur's Gate Graphics Overhaul for EET

I remember trying to install this one in a botched attempt at replaying the game (i got bored after some modding failures and never started it).

What i remember is that:

1) The version of this mod for EE is glitched and not liable to be fixed
2) The 2.5 version of the EE does most of what this mod does? At least one user on some form thread i read said as such.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also, as long as you don't install Siege of Dragonspear, you don't need to install the Modmerge Tool Grunker mentioned last page.

I got the DLC but i also got the modmerge thingy.

As far as the DLC goes, i'm assuming the game sends you there after killing Saverok and then you get to BG2 after finishing SoD but i suppose i can still use the save from BG1 before starting SoD to enter BG2.

Because good or shit, the added experience of the DLC is going to make a BG2 start even more broken, as i'm already planning to play BG1 with xp cap removed which means i'll end up in BG2 higher than i should. With this DLC in the way that makes it even worse.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think I did some shit that made it work but it’s whatever in any case. Probably won’t install it for next go

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Quests and encounters is sort of meh and EET really does make everything easier once you’re done, but it’s up to ya mate. Have fun <3

Shadenuat

Arcane
some things in EE I just don't understand. like, vanilla does 1 thing right - puts some unique items in far away locations; and then EE adds 2 more pairs of bracers of weapon mastery into some chests.

Codex Year of the Donut
I was checking out those NPCs, and some of them are just beyond lmao, especially in BG2:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195278341

Like that Hexxat, which apparently turns into a fucking vampire AND a nigger? Am i getting this right?

Ho, and then you get a goblin and a bear lul, holy shit.
Story/plotwise:
Hexxat is easily the worst. It's not even a competition. She's such an all around awful character that it might actually be entertaining to use her just to see it yourself.
Baeloth is pretty good IMO, but he's only in BG1 and SoD. Not sure why they cut him from BG2.
Neera is hit or miss depending on the person it seems. Definitely worth considering if you're playing a good or neutral party, especially in BG2 when wild mages really shine.
Rasaad is alright. Nothing really stood out, has OK companion quests.
The bear is more of a non-companion for people that don't want companion dialogues I guess.
Dorn is shit.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I usually run pretty minimalist mod installs for BG 1&2 EEs:
  1. Modmerge if SoD installed
  2. Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs, it allows to remove all new companions and associated cringe.
  3. The Tweaks Anthology
  4. Lefreut's Enhanced UI
  5. SCS. Important to install after UI mod, it adds button to customize difficulty.
I did more than a dozen of different installs in last year so another thoughts:
  1. Spell Revisions + SCS's smarter casters = bugged mess, especially on higher difficulties with pre-buff
  2. BG1NPC Projects still not to my tastes, no amount of small extra quests worth enduring all these amateurish (mostly) attempts on mimicking Biowarean style
  3. https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/ - is current analogue of Big Picture to make mega-game by porting BG1 EE into BG 2 EE. It has several EET specific mods (more NPCs, more amateurish writing), but could be useful for big install were risk to catch conflicts is too high. Personally, I used it only once and removed after.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I was checking out those NPCs, and some of them are just beyond lmao, especially in BG2:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195278341

Like that Hexxat, which apparently turns into a fucking vampire AND a nigger? Am i getting this right?

Ho, and then you get a goblin and a bear lul, holy shit.

:whatho:

Beamturd's only talent really is sullying master pieces.

2560.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wow u guys r so cool for saying nigger that’s like a big boy word

I usually run pretty minimalist mod installs for BG 1&2 EEs:
  1. Modmerge if SoD installed
  2. Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs, it allows to remove all new companions and associated cringe.
  3. The Tweaks Anthology
  4. Lefreut's Enhanced UI
  5. SCS. Important to install after UI mod, it adds button to customize difficulty.
I did more than a dozen of different installs in last year so another thoughts:
  1. Spell Revisions + SCS's smarter casters = bugged mess, especially on higher difficulties with pre-buff
  2. BG1NPC Projects still not to my tastes, no amount of small extra quests worth enduring all these amateurish (mostly) attempts on mimicking Biowarean style
  3. https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/ - is current analogue of Big Picture to make mega-game by porting BG1 EE into BG 2 EE. It has several EET specific mods (more NPCs, more amateurish writing), but could be useful for big install were risk to catch conflicts is too high. Personally, I used it only once and removed after.

There is a specific version of SCS for Spell Revisions. Never use normal SCS with SR.

EDIT: sorry, that’s false as of the latest versions it seems. New SCS has built-in support for SR and should work just fine with it. However like I said, I generally wouldn’t recommend SR. It makes some weird changes.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
There is a specific version of SCS for Spell Revisions. Never use normal SCS with SR.

From SCS developer:

Continuing to discuss features of v32 while I'm killing time doing install tests of it:
"Under the hood", so to speak, SCS's system for mages and priests has undergone some major changes. There are a number of reasons for that, but one of them is to support a wider variety of different spell systems. In v31 and earlier, the core spell system was pretty much hardcoded in; there were various tweaks to allow for other spell systems (notably SR) but they were somewhat awkward and pretty partial. The restructuring of SCS makes it much easier to support multiple systems from the get-go.

SCS v32 will support three different spell systems:

1) The "vanilla" system, along with SCS's usual tweaks: antimagic can affect invisible creatures, mantle is slightly more powerful, Skull Trap is capped at 12d6, etc. In v32 these are installed by default (they can be disabled using the ini file). That's recognising the fact that for a long time, SCS AI has pretty much assumed these tweaks are installed, and its AI behaves oddly without them. (This is part of a general design goal for v32: if there's some option where I actively say 'I don't recommend this', I want it moved out of the ordinary install structure, without making it unavailable for power users who know what they're doing.
2) Spell Revisions - specifically, SR v4b15. v31 and earlier were officially supporting v3 of SR, which - although still the "official" version - is badly out of date. v32 goes to quite a lot of effort to systematically allow for SR in its spell choices, sequencers, contingencies, targetting, prebuffing, and strategy. (And almost all of SCS's spell tweaks are disabled on an SR install.)

Afaik there were "special" version of SCS around 2017, but it is no longer available and probably not compatible with last patch of EEs. I tried SCS 32.5 + SR v4b15 as recommended and it was not experience a want to repeat in BG 2. Imho, trying to find more or less "compatible" versions of them is kinda more of an effort than it worth in all reinstalls, broken runs and testing involved.

Mix with SR would probably work much better for SCS installs without "Smarter Mages/Priests" components or with less drastic versions of what I had difficulty-wise.

PS crazy thing about some popular BG mods - they are still in limbo of active development and beta-testing

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Regarding EET and the new EE content. New NPCs and the whole of Dragonspear expansion is garbage.

Good news is you can avoid all of it. Just kill the shitty npcs and use the dev console to teleport to the end of Dragonspear.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ditch npc project - it's cancer. Play Siege of Dragonspear on max difficulty and skip all dialogues. They really did good job with encounter design here. Even encounters when travelling are good. And yes - max difficulty is mandatory.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You just need to know who to pick. I love it just for the moment when Jaheira whacks with a club bastard who tries to sell you scroll of remove petrification for 500 gp.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ditch npc project - it's cancer. Play Siege of Dragonspear on max difficulty and skip all dialogues. They really did good job with encounter design here. Even encounters when travelling are good. And yes - max difficulty is mandatory.

What about the experience? Aren't you going to end up grossly overpowered once BG2 starts?

Daidre

Arcane
What about the experience? Aren't you going to end up grossly overpowered once BG2 starts?

SoD xp capped at 500.000. It is one-two extra levels for the most classes. With xp cap removed I usually end up around 750.000 xp on main char with 6-man party and I am very throughout about content.
Probably a bit overpowered for vanilla BG 2, but SCS difficulty is customizable enough to mitigate it.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I still think beamdog should have made expansion for IWD instead of BG. Without their retarded writing and companion "improvements" and with focus on combat it would be actually good game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

As I wrote earlier, not really. It doesn't really make much difference and that goes double if you didn't reach the XP cap in BG1, which most people don't. 161.000XP ain't nobody got time for that..

If you actually do clear out everything you will start out very strong in the beginning of BG2, but especially on SCS the content is varied enough and the XP comes fast enough that it still doesn't throw your game off by a huge margin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom