Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Zed, Mar 15, 2012.

1. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Rip off from BGT, make my words. Meanwhile, if they ACTUALLY CODE something; TobEx will not work with the new executable - hopefully they fix all the bugs that fixed and and the features it introduced.

^ Top  
  2. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Enhanced? Give me a nice pair of DDs please.

^ Top  
  3. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Epic fail. BG didn't need to be enchanted.

^ Top  
  4. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    It does need to be enchanted if you want to penetrate Gargoyle DR.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    I am pretty sure the enhanced verison will involve a lot of penetration

^ Top  
  6. Syril Liturgist Queued

Syril
    Bros you need to expand your horizons,,,, IE is coming back! Lets see how IE looks in 2012. Do you know what that means?

Obsidian and MCA get their hands on new IE and we get Torment 2 and Icewind Dale 3 on IE.

With wasteland 2 coming we have 97-2000 year all over again in RPG gaming. :yeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    I'm trying to be optimistic. This Trent Oster guy even alludes to a Baldur's Gate 3 with the new Infinity Engine. If the scenario Syril talks about comes true it would be :incline:.

But yeah, it probably won't.

^ Top  
  8. pipka Savant

pipka
    I guess it will be fine as long as it retains IE moddability... NOT!

^ Top  
  9. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    On his twitter he said "We're very interested in supporting the modding community and hopefully kicking off even more mods"

https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/180394225236586497

I doubt that means supporting existing mods, though. I think it would be too easy to break them by doing much to the IE.

^ Top  
  10. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Actually, some of the things Oster is talking about on Twitter are making me start to feel a bit of optimism towards this project.

Specifically that they are going "2d Isometric all the way" and *not* going for full voice acting.

^ Top  
  11. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Fixed.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    Their website wouldn't look out of place in the times of ArpaNET.

^ Top  
  13. zerotol Arcane Patron

zerotol
    Let's see how this turns out

^ Top  
  14. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Unfortunately it looks like it'll be a Beamdog exclusive (whatever that is... I'm told it's some online store/platform like Steam) according to this.

^ Top  
  15. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    While the enhancent on the engine/graphics can be good, I have no hopes for the new content they are adding. Chrono Trigger DS had "new content from people from the original team", and what we got? Unbalanced gamebreaking weapons, pointless minigames, and THE worst fedex quest any game ever had.

Also, I don't thrust this arrogant douchebag that suddenly believes he is responsible for everything good that BioWare ever did, and worse, wants to shovel his shitty DRM filled "Beamdog" down peoples throat using Baldur's Gate.

^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't know what to make out of this. On the one hand, BG1 and 2 are two of my all time favourite RPGs (yeah, screw the haters), and I already own the best version of those games: the original games with widescreen mods. Although they need some improvement, because BG1 with the widescreen mod has some issues on Win 7. On the other hand, I'm curious what they mean by enhancing. I fear they will screw up the graphis and/or the soundtrack and voiceovers. I like those games as they are, I don't want them ruined.

I will probably keep an eye on the project, but the end product needs to be some pretty good stuff, otherwise I will stick to the originals.

^ Top  
  17. waywardOne Cipher

waywardOne
    Of all the games to "enhance", the BG series is far down the list.

You know who else had even more of the original dev team? Bioware, when they made NWN, and outside of a great toolset, that game sucked complete ass in every category: graphics, mechanics, plot, etc. So who gives a flying fuck they've got some, too.

What is there to enhance? Mods and user patches already make it playable on modern OS's with modern cards; if you're having problems you cannot into readmes.

No, this will suck utter dick. This will be the equivalent of taking a classic song and letting Timbaland rape it with nu-beats.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Given that the original games still look good and are very playable today (ok - maybe beefing up the resolution and making them widescreen would help), I can't say this appeals much.

My one hope is that it is successful enough to allow new content/games to be developed utilising the same engine.

^ Top  
  19. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :incline: or :decline: ???????

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. communard Arcane

communard
    I really find it very hard to care about this having played and replayed the Baldur's Gate series so many times. Honestly this just feels like a quick way to grab some cash off neckbeards on a perpetual nostalgia trip. Is some actual new stuff too much to ask? This endless rehashing in gaming overall is getting pretty fucking tiresome. Well, at least we got Wasteland 2.

The more I think about it the more I ask what they can actually do with this project. The graphics are still beautiful and there are already wide screen mods, the sound was always amazing, and I find it hard to believe they'll be able to fix the problems with combat in the Infinity Engine since most of those stem from the fact that it's not turn based. So what's the point?

^ Top  
  21. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    This could really go either way. I can't really imagine what kind of "enhancements" they could possibly make to the game, though, besides the graphics. Or are they just hoping to add 1-2 hours of sidequests and selling it for $20 or something?

^ Top  
  22. jewboy Arbiter

jewboy
    Of all the things they could update, why the graphics? How about an actual sequel or sequel-in-spirit to BG2? Maybe they can't actually call it "Baldur's Gate" but so what? Biowhore should have just kept making sequels to BG2, the only decent game they've ever made. The BG2 graphics are just fine. Even the dragons looked good. What I want to see is a new story. Maybe even get Chris Avellone to write it for them. Now that this kickstarter thing has happend I hope we see more indie groups like Iron Tower. The best the mega publishers can manage for us is updated graphics. Ugh.

^ Top  
  23. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    This'll suck balls. Where's my HD GoldBox?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Don't really see the point. If anything warranted an update, it would be the rules, upping it to 4th ed. Still, it's not like this is bad news either.

It's like DLC, but already on the game! Revolutionary! :bounce:

edit: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-arrives-this-summer/

The best way to relive the good old days is with a coat of modern days' paint.

^ Top  
  25. Falkner Thread Decliner Patron

Falkner
    Wasteland 2
    If they can somehow make the pathfinding functional, I'd probably even buy it.*

*Not really, but it's the thought that counts.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)