Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Ulrox

Arbiter
It's not called Bhaalspawn's Gate.
How is BG2 related to Baldur's Gate?

It's the second baldur's gate game, and it's called baldur's gate 2, but yeah, the name came about because noone knew what to call it, so feargus urqhart of obsidian said something about the game being set in the city of baldur's gate, so they should just call it baldur's gate.

Which, when you think of it, isn't the most amazing name ever marketing wise, but yeah.

Xunwael

Educated
It's the second baldur's gate game, and it's called baldur's gate 2, but yeah, the name came about because noone knew what to call it, so feargus urqhart of obsidian said something about the game being set in the city of baldur's gate, so they should just call it baldur's gate.

Which, when you think of it, isn't the most amazing name ever marketing wise, but yeah.
Which is my point exactly. BG1&2 aren't about Baldur's Gate, they're about the bhaalspawn, BG2 just inherited the BG name from BG1 so that people would realize it was a sequel. Which is also why dark alliance isn't BG2 or 3 or wherever that would've fit at the time of release. Which is why BG3 won't be "BG3" unless it's about the bhaalspawn. Instead it should be Baldur's Gate: Not 3 But New Title.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Which is my point exactly. BG1&2 aren't about Baldur's Gate, they're about the bhaalspawn, BG2 just inherited the BG name from BG1 so that people would realize it was a sequel. Which is also why dark alliance isn't BG2 or 3 or wherever that would've fit at the time of release. Which is why BG3 won't be "BG3" unless it's about the bhaalspawn. Instead it should be Baldur's Gate: Not 3 But New Title.

I never disagreed, it is sound logic. I am personally hoping that the player character from baldur's gate 1-2 has become the god of murder, and is somehow inciting all of these events, and would eventually be the last boss, but yeah.

JasonNH

Augur
This on GOG.
L5CQxOr.png

BG 1 and 2 are categorized the same way.

but what was the giant Cthulhu in the sky that flashed briefly? is that canon too? I don undastan
yes, that's their spelljammer ship
Dreadnaught.jpg

As eric__s would say:
warning-this-game-is-canon.jpeg

intelligent beings build spaceships that resemble their head and face, makes sense.

Well, quite apart from it coming from a fantasy setting where Gods and magic and all kinds of shit exist which would make 'sense' relative, it could be a practical reason to make it look like this: differentiate from other Spelljammer ships(much like flying flags), or it could be used as a means of intimidation to 'lesser' species.
I know, I am just fucking around, but didn't jews help build the first human space ship? Looks like a giant schnoz...hmmmmmmm

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I'm guessing it will be a third person action RPG in real time made in either Unreal 4 or Unity.

I'm also assuming a maximum of two companions per mission Mass Effect style.

(and sexy time behind the barn after accidentally choosing all the romance options with your male companion)
They've already said they're using an in house engine. So no.

For anyone vaguely interested, in this video Swen confirmed that the game is going to have its own unique visual style and won't borrow from Divinity Original Sin 2 in that sense:

I guess time will tell if that's for the better or not.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That video is just more of the same PR emotional shit. Its all about how nice it was to play the games back in the day! excitement! and feelings! and how fun! it will be.
They just go over every nice emotional PR shtick.

And say next to nothing about the game.
Player agency - every RPG has it or should have it.
Options in gameplay - duh.
Visuals... and exploration of a "wide world"...

...aaaand.... nothing else.

Zilch, nada, niente.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
This on GOG.
L5CQxOr.png

BG 1 and 2 are categorized the same way.

Yes, and hearing that Larian was making a BG3, and in the light of the fact that DOS2 was a huge success, it was (is still) obvious that BG3 could be TB.

Also we already have a lot of BG like games which are in the making or are already made(no need for more):
  • PoE 1
  • PoE 2
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  • Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness

I think a compromise could be that BG3 has a switchable TB and RT system(see PoE2 or Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's confusing Larian and Piranha Bytes. All those Western Europeans look the same?

In reality I'd imagine the game IS using some heavily modified fork of the Divinity Engine. Starting from scratch would be dumb. Even Dragon Commander used it under the hood.

Last edited:

turkishronin

Arcane
All the talks are premature now, we don't know a shit about the game, in the end there are good game without isometric, TB etc, I think everybody agree with that, it's all wild speculations now and nothing else.

However one thing I'm sure of already - if at least half of the SJW shit shown in this post

Since it's based on a D&D 5E you can expect SJW content in super high proportions:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/09/im-too-old-to-start-playing-dd-again/
I’m too old to start playing D&D again…
But wow, the changes in the latest edition are stunning. This is the description for the standard “Human” player:

via Liselle Angelique Krog Awwal

Looks like Wizards of the Coast have been completely overrun by SJWs. We’re going to have to start calling them Wizards+.

So don't get your hopes up just yet.

will creep into that BG3 game with same level of SJW toxicity, I'm not only won't buy it - I won't even pirate it, just like I didn't play PoE2, PoE1 (except the begining), and Kingmaker where SJW is a main stone of stumbling for me.

I don't know, but to me the guy who thinks that Orcs and Half-Orcs are "an analogue for blackness" is a disgusting racist. Orcs are known for being a savage race that make a living out of raiding other people and this guy basically thinks "wow they're clearly a reference to black people!" and at the same time thinks he's woke.

That video is just more of the same PR emotional shit. Its all about how nice it was to play the games back in the day! excitement! and feelings! and how fun! it will be.
They just go over every nice emotional PR shtick.
Honestly? I don't give a shit and I'm even growing a bit tired about your "jaded old gamer" shtick.
I frankly find it exhausting.

I didn't ask you to love the video, I never said its content was amazing either, and I pointed exactly in my comment what was my only meaningful takeaway from it: the confirmation of something some of us were already wondering about.
But of course, if all you want is to bitch, keep bitching.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
SV:
The previous Baldur's Gate games were based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.5. We're now Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition. A lot of stuff has happened in Forgotten Realms. A lot of stuff has happened in Baldur's Gate, so this is going to be a new entry.

There will obviously be references to everything that happened in the first and the second, but this is very much its own story. You needn't have played the previous Baldur's Gates to understand what's going on, but if you have, you will recognize the references. For example, if you just look at the teaser trailer, you will notice the guy's from the Flaming Fist, he has a flaming fist on his chest.

About the trailer:
SV:
All right. You're seeing the city of Baldur's Gate 3 to start with, which I think is it's first 3D rendition actually, ever done. Then, you see a knight who belongs to a group of mercenaries called The Flaming Fist, who are law and order in the outer sides of the city and into parts of what's called lower city. You have also an upper city part which is where all the rich live in Baldur's Gate. They're governed by somebody else called The Watch.

Then you see that there's been conflict clearly. There's dead bodies everywhere and then something's happening to this knight and he's actually undergoing a version of what we would call accelerated ceremorphosis, which is basically a way of reproduction that these creatures called the mind flayers have.

They stick a tadpole in people's heads, that tadpole grows, and then it turns a human being or any humanoid being into a mind flayers and these are the guys you may know from Stranger Things, maybe. They're these psyonic creatures with tentacles and very intelligent but they're hive creatures. They have elder brains that command them.

They used to have an incredible empire called the Mind Flayer Empire but things went wrong, so they've been in hiding ever since in a place called The Underdark, which is like the deep underground of this world of Forgotten Realms. Somehow, they've managed to get people into Baldur's Gate that are turning into mind flayers and you see some shots where they're flying in the distance, so it's an invasion of mind flayers, too.

In the very last shot, you see that big thing with tentacles, that's called a naulitoid and that's the thing that they used to have when they had their ancient empire. Think of it as a spaceship that was capable of navigating the astral plane, which is...almost like quantum mechanics to explain how that works [laughs].

Yeah, that's what you're seeing. Time to gather the party.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
For a genre veteran it's easy to predict. Most people here have had a few decades of experience playing these games (and following the industry) under their belt.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this, but - HONESTLY guys, there is exactly ZERO actual information about the game.
Larians can surprise us, just as they surprise me with DOS2 - I expected more of the same of DOS, but actually they went on new level ofquantity and quality of content above DOS (not talking about contoversial armor system here).
It's a wild speculation and how it's called - psyching yourself out?
Let's wait for at least A BIT of rel info of how and what will be in game.

I wish Larian surprise me in a good way, really.

It's not called Bhaalspawn's Gate.
How is BG2 related to Baldur's Gate?

Through Ballspawn only, yeah. But that plot was finished.
Also, Baldurs Gate itself was one of the actors in game in my opinion, that's why it's Baldur's Gate.

the guy who thinks that Orcs and Half-Orcs are "an analogue for blackness" is a disgusting racist.

You see, there is one little problem with it - those who made orcs to resemble negros in tabletop game's illustrations and games (and they actually resemble them, I noticed that long ago) - those are people who is usually called as SJW-piece-of-shit.
So something is wrong here, right?
It's not racism, because it's pointed toward white, an you can't be racist against white - as SJW proclaims.
It's intended depiction of orcs as negroes or negroes as orcs - because orcs are strong and cruel,so it's a good to show negroes like that to incite unconsciously reverence and fear through means of art.
It's good in SJW terms and it's working because it happen not only in games but everywhere in cinema and on TV.

Will it be better than Realms Beyond?

I'm absolutely sure Realms Beyond will have this unique feeling of crafted thing, manual work, an good old frends, you know - very personal feeling.
And BG3 will have that AAA-feeling.
So, I can bet atmosphere - whatever it is - will be much better in Realms Beyond.

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
According to Larian, the game will have over 100 hours of content. The confirmation of the crazy amount of the content came during a recent IGN interview. Presumably it has over 100 hours of content if you do everything possible in the game. In other words, I can't imagine just the main story line is that long.

Now, if you know Larian Studios, this won't come as a huge surprise. Its previous two games -- Divinity Original Sin and Divinity Original Sin II -- were both similar in length if you were on a completionist run. If you did just the main quest line, both were about 50 hours. In other words, perhaps Baldur's Gate 3 will take 50-70 hours if you mainline it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom