Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Baldur's Gate III announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jun 6, 2019.

1. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    intelligent beings build spaceships that resemble their head and face, makes sense.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well, quite apart from it coming from a fantasy setting where Gods and magic and all kinds of shit exist which would make 'sense' relative, it could be a practical reason to make it look like this: differentiate from other Spelljammer ships(much like flying flags), or it could be used as a means of intimidation to 'lesser' species.

^ Top  
  3. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Apples and oranges. Larian is a good developer, yes, but the writing, dialogue, presentation, combat mechanics, and overall atmosphere of their games is just too far off from Black Isle. Just like if Royce Royce announced a race car I believe it'd raise some brows.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Baldur's Gate wasn't a Black Isle game. :M

Wasteland 3 had to get new writers this year to "finish it" and that's supposed to be out a few months from now.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    -Gets message about Baldur’s Gate 3 confirmed to be in development by Larian and to be released this year

-Becomes really interested in what Sven and company are up to, seeing that their Divinity OS games are among the best of this decade; the game obviously has some good funding and will probably have the same turn based combat, gorgeous graphics and slightly goofy dialogue that Larian is know for

-Checks the obvious excitement from mainstream media and YouTubers

-Decides to finally check the Codex

-The usual “they should leave the franchise alone” “Will turn it into popamole” “Action RPG fo sho” “Sven is a bro” Codexian vibe

Ah the Codex.... the Codex never changes
    :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Oh right, I just have the intro stuck in my head starting with BI.

^ Top  
  7. wtrboy Novice

wtrboy
    This better be good...just sayin'.

^ Top  
  8. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Why not Spelljammer?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Will be worse than PF:K.

• Agree x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ulrox Arbiter

Ulrox
    People are managing their expectations and emotions. It's a defense mechanism. Better to call everything shit, then if it turns out to be shit, you wont be disappointed.

In the case of Baldur's gate 3 though, I think no matter how much people try, they are going to be hurt if the game turns out to be bad.

Therefore the best approach is just to be cautiously optimistic, which is my approach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah I get this, and we should be critical. But starting with complete negativity and shitting on the game and most of all on the developer is ridiculous. Espceially before we get any concrete info about the gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    God please [​IMG]. For a genre veteran it's easy to predict. Most people here have had a few decades of experience playing these games (and following the industry) under their belt. If you're among them, clearly you can see this game showing signs of popamolized rubbish more and more every day. However, people like you just have low standards and a forgiving attitude, willing to accept meager bread crumbs for compensation, which is what brought decline in the first place.

• Brofist x 3
    • Button x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rpguy Cipher Patron

Rpguy

• decline decline x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    The fact that this won't use the D:OS engine is a red flag. If BG3 was isometric, there would be no need to re-invent the wheel.

So most likely, it's Larian's "Baldur's Gate: Skyrim" or "Baldur's Gate: The Witcher".

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Stormcrowfleet Cipher

Stormcrowfleet
    Since I don't like Larian can I hate on this legitimatelly ?

Otherwise, I think concept art and random stuff isn't important. Let's wait for the real stuff to come up. Anybody have information on the team and what they did prior ?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    That's where my money's at.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ulrox Arbiter

Ulrox
    You know, when I read all of that negativity, I do wonder how many people have actually played Baldur's gate 1-2 ToB, and if they even ever wanted a BG3 to begin with. 1997 was a long time ago.

I recently became acquainted with a guy who told me, that the reason bioware's games had gotten worse, was due to EA's influence, and that was why Anthem was so terrible. This guy is 20 years old. I told him that he was right, but that the games he thought of as amazing bioware games, mass effect, dragon age, were also made while EA's was there, and bioware had been under EA's influence all along, and he looked at me weirdly, as if that couldn't be the case, and then I realised that I am old.

• Despair x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nihiliste Arcane Patron

Nihiliste
    If it’s not isometric and they’re dumbing down the rules AND we’re getting Larian quality writing, then I’m sorry, it’s going to be shit. Also current year means all creative fields are dominated by SJW filth that ruin the fun in everything, so it’s not like they’re going to find good talent to work with. A big part of why BG2 was great was because it was directed by a dude who just loved DnD and fantasy and RPGs and ended up making something he would want to play.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Nihiliste Arcane Patron

Nihiliste
    Honestly, I’m not a purist. I liked the Witcher series. I liked DA:O. But those are essentially story based games, and this is Larian. Plus it’s the current year and this game is not being made in the relatively safe haven of Eastern Europe.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
  21. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Jesus.

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Saerain Scholar Patron

Saerain
    Good grief. I bet all the rules are even automated by a computer gadget. RIP gaming.

^ Top  
  24. User0001 Novice

User0001
    Paraphrasing/copying/dictate from the video above:
    Later:
    Later later:

Why are both WotC and Larian painfully avoiding talking about the combat system? True to D&D lore is an obvious avoidance of (what should be) TRUE TO D&D RULES.
    Very strange...

Also, the whole thing with Vincke stealing a WotC employee to symbolize WotC's aprovement, is more like Swen taking WotC hostage with the promise of lotz of exztra loot for them if they agree to his terms.
    Vincke really duped them to think WotC would look tough and strong against Vincke with their baby.. but NO, that's not the way these WotC fools are presented in the video.

They are :shittydog:ies

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)