Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In respect to backdrops, BG lacks the fidelity and color depth of BG2, but that's just a technical limitation of the time. In all respects, its aesthetics exhibit superior taste.

Yeah, aesthetics of BG 1 dungeons are quite exquisite:

x_0146.jpg
x_3901.jpg
x_5201.jpg
x_2012.jpg

x_1009.jpg

Color depth is an only problem in this perfection.

Citizen

Stop trying to act like you have good aesthetic taste; you don't. The UI, anims, paperdolls, icons and character models are objectively superior in BG (that's BG, not BG2).

Here, let me give you a few examples:

It's not like BG1 ever looked that good, lmao. IWD/IWD2 are the only good looking IE games

To the Iggy Bin with you!

Daidre

Arcane
SoD's backgrounds are beautiful.

Their style is a bit weird though - they look much more "painted" than more realistic style in BG 1. Still, along with enemy AI and encounter design they are better parts of SoD in the sea of storytelling suck.

Honestly, Durlag Tower is an only dungeon that does not look like complete shite in BG 1 (And I love the game). What still surprise me to this day is how and why something as good as Durlag's epic ended up packed in the same expansion pack with Isle of Balduran - the most horribadawful piece of content in the whole series. I replayed it couple of weeks ago and writing in werewolf quests still stands out in its sheer cringe-ness. Not only all NPC written like retards (in-story explanation present) but my Bhaalspawn suddenly turns into queen of retards with bipolar disorder (like Lilura) after stepping on this hellish piece of land.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
SoD's backgrounds are beautiful.

Bit too blurry. I like clarity, hard lines and angles. SoD backdrops are too organic and soft. SoD also ruined sprites just like BG2. Pre-HoW IWD has best backdrops and sprites, as I've driven home on my blog.

BG2 sucks and 'Dex reputation stocks plummet with every BG2 fanboy allowed to run rampant here.

Thal

Augur
Yeah, aesthetics of BG 1 dungeons are quite exquisite:
Color depth is an only problem in this perfection.

Aesthetics aside, those are pretty good dungeon layouts, requiring actual exploration, resource management and provide challenge for low level ironman parties. Second, aesthetics does not mean color. The art direction of BG1 was committed to making maps look like places grounded in reality, albeit in a fantasy world. Not only does it succeed spectacularly, it's unique among IE games and crpgs in trying. Both Naskhel and Cloakwood mines have fantastic art style for what they try to achieve: the cold wet drab and oppressive darkness deep in Naskhel's abandoned lower levels and grinding gears and dusty air of the busy Cloakwood.

I think its a matter of taste which style you prefer, but imo BG1's grounded style complements its low level adventure very well. If it had BG2 style, it just wouldn't feel the same. Compare Nashkel carnival to Waukeen's promenade and you'll see the difference. I wish more crpgs went for this pseudo realistic art direction.

Their style is a bit weird though - they look much more "painted" than more realistic style in BG 1. Still, along with enemy AI and encounter design they are better parts of SoD in the sea of storytelling suck.

Yes, SoD is very much worth playing despite its writing.

Isle of Balduran - the most horribadawful piece of content in the whole series. I replayed it couple of weeks ago and writing in werewolf quests still stands out in its sheer cringe-ness. Not only all NPC written like retards (in-story explanation present) but my Bhaalspawn suddenly turns into queen of retards with bipolar disorder (like Lilura) after stepping on this hellish piece of land.

Isle of Balduran is far beneath Durlag's Tower in quality (but what isn't?), but it has one redeeming quality. Once you get in, you can't get out and there's isn't much trading you can do. So you'll have to manage with what you bring with you, which is pretty rare in BG1. Ice Island is too short, so Candlekeep catacombs is the other primary example.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Can they make the game with the same art style as BG2? I mean literally the same art style, the same character models, the same animations and stuff only in modern 3d, wouldn't it be glorious?

Oh and the same composer, some german dude if i'm not mistaken

No because 20 years have passed and it would be a true shame for Larian, a game that could in other areas be whole incline, with the looks of some indie game.

They're doing the opposite: up the graphics and dumb down the gameplay. The way of the modern world, and the bane of every D&D game since the renaissance.

Daidre

Arcane
The art direction of BG1 was committed to making maps look like places grounded in reality, albeit in a fantasy world. Not only does it succeed spectacularly, it's unique among IE games and crpgs in trying. Both Naskhel and Cloakwood mines have fantastic art style for what they try to achieve: the cold wet drab and oppressive darkness deep in Naskhel's abandoned lower levels and grinding gears and dusty air of the busy Cloakwood.
As you can notice, no Cloakwood or Nashkel in my pictures. But you need a hell of imagination to see anything "grounded in reality" in labyrinthal maps, like Firewine and Ulcaster dungeon - those are more Goldbox-D&D-blobber tributes (intentionally bare-bones with loot/trap squares) put in isometry by some twisted mind than anything based on common sense or reality.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Aesthetics aside, those are pretty good dungeon layouts, requiring actual exploration, resource management and provide challenge for low level ironman parties.
Some of them also require you to move each of your six man party individually, because if you try to use formation movement in those narrow corridors someone may decide that their place in the formation is on the other side of the wall.

Every single Infinity engine game after BG1 had passages wide enough to comfortably fit the party, for much improved dungeon crawling fun. Man can sometimes be a learning animal.

Thal

Augur
As you can notice, no Cloakwood or Nashkel in my pictures. But you need a hell of imagination to see anything "grounded in reality" in labyrinthal maps, like Firewine and Ulcaster dungeon - those are more Goldbox-D&D-blobber tributes (intentionally bare-bones with loot/trap squares) put in isometry by some twisted mind than anything based on common sense or reality.

I meant grounded in reality in the sense that they could built without magic or a dragon's hoard worth of gold. So they have caves that look like caves, and Ulcaster dungeon that looks like a dungeon. I like that look for a low level campaign.

Some of them also require you to move each of your six man party individually, because if you try to use formation movement in those narrow corridors someone may decide that their place in the formation is on the other side of the wall.

Every single Infinity engine game after BG1 had passages wide enough to comfortably fit the party, for much improved dungeon crawling fun. Man can sometimes be a learning animal.

It's true, Firewine was especially clunky with anything more than 2 characters. However, when the corridors got wider, it meant that there was less room for complex dungeon layouts. And as a result, BG series moved from exploration based to encounter based structure. I like both games, but imo the trade off is not as simple. BG1's exploration based structure makes ironman low level adventuring more interesting and varied. These dungeons are dangerous, despite being populated by low level critters. The sharp corridors mean low visibility and less room to maneuver, which means that both traps and the occasional enemy mage are more deadly. Add respawning monsters and rest ambushes to that, and you really have to pay attention when clearing these dungeons, not to mention having take care of resource management. However, that tension is naturally replaced by annoyance, if you save/load after every corner, which admittedly is what most of us do. I did my first ironman play through last year, but I highly recommend everyone to try it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Nothing to do with aesthetics. Follow formation reduces pathfinding routine issues. Yes, it does not eliminate them but no one has criticized IE pathfinding routine more than I have, so you're saying nothing new.

Again, no shit. However, wide passageways are not realistic or interesting. What they should have done was completely rewrite pathfinding routine for precision, like JA2 and Silent Storm were by default. JA2 came out in 1999; no excuses. Plus, JA2 and SS have much more complex and even destructible environments with verticality; also JA2 has more combat units in the party: fucking 18 compared to 6. But IE coders are incompetent.

tl;dr: They didn't fix the problem; they took the EZ way out and you're celebrating it like a smug 'tard.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Post real AR extractions like the ones from my blog, you lousy fucking nimrod.
Is there any point in debating with you anymore? I'm shocked that you haven't been labeled with a safe place or edgy tags yet. Might as well stop coming here all together - you don't seem to be willing to talk. You're willing to just impose your ideas of "what's valid" on everyone else.

And take Roguey with you. It's almost sad to see him beta orbiting.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Is there any point in debating with you anymore? I'm shocked that you haven't been labeled with a safe place or edgy tags yet.

Have we ever had dealings? Your username rings no bells.

If I get any unflattering tags, I'll just leave. So start lobbying the admin if you hate me so much!

Might as well stop coming here all together - you don't seem to be willing to talk. You're willing to just impose your ideas of "what's valid" on everyone else.

Like in the other thread where I asked for advice from monocled posters?

And take Roguey with you.

I don't think Roguey will ever leave the 'Dex; he's entrenched.

Infinitron , dump this shit in the split Lilura thread if you like. Or retardo.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any point in debating with you anymore? I'm shocked that you haven't been labeled with a safe place or edgy tags yet.

Have we ever had dealings? Your username rings no bells.

If I get any unflattering tags, I'll just leave. So start lobbying the admin if you hate me so much!

Might as well stop coming here all together - you don't seem to be willing to talk. You're willing to just impose your ideas of "what's valid" on everyone else.

Like in the other thread where I asked for advice from monocled posters?

And take Roguey with you.

I don't think Roguey will ever leave the 'Dex; he's entrenched.

Infinitron , dump this shit in the split Lilura thread if you like. Or retardo.
The administration has nothing to do with this, honoured elderly dragon lady - but to answer your question, yes, we have played together in the past, and I have shown you your weakness in the past too.

Speaking of which, when are you going to grow some thicker skin and let us post on your profile?

I want to tell you to your face what a big dumbfuck you are. When you are, of course.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did the artist responsible for the art in BG1 die? Was he responsible for all of the art? There's a page dedicated to him in the BG2 manual. You know that thing with a spine, and these leafy white things with words on them.

Artists name was Daniel Walker.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Did the artist responsible for the art in BG1 die? Was he responsible for all of the art? There's a page dedicated to him in the BG2 manual. You know that thing with a spine, and these leafy white things with words on them.

Artists name was Daniel Walker.
Yes, he passed away between BG1 and BG2:

Dan Walker was the second employee of BioWare, having started work at the company in late 1995. He passed away June 6, 1999 of natural causes related to a physical disability he had since birth. Baldurs Gate 2 was dedicated to him.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
I got an idea what the motion capture is for.

Larian wants to tap into the untapped mobile Chinese market. Combat will be turn-based, with cards (like in Slay the Spire). The motion capture is there so you can see your character pulling out some nice moves in high quality 3D. It'll be a smash hit for sure.

If they want the Chinese mobile market they need to spend their budget on drawing shit ton of cute anime girls with questionable age and very little clothes, most importantly they need to hire famous japanese voice actresses to voice them.

The Chinese mobile market is complicated, but there is one simple rule: no tits no money.

SniperHF

Arcane
Larian, at least since Dragon Commander, has used mocap. Actual results in game are..........not really noticeable much in the D:OS games but they aren't first person either.

Daidre

Arcane
The Chinese mobile market is complicated, but there is one simple rule: no tits no money.
Sounds like any market anywhere in the world.
USA video-game industry makes a crazy attempts to completely eradicate anything sexually attractive in their product. Only time will show how it will work out for them in long run when competing for player's money.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm talking about this kind of tits in a game rated for 9 years old, by apple standard.

%E7%9A%87%E5%AE%B6%E7%B3%96%E9%9C%9C.png

I don't think the western mobile game has reach this level of incline perverse yet. Also bonus knowledge: that's King Arthur in the picture.

Elex

Arbiter
I'm talking about this kind of tits in a game rated for 9 years old, by apple standard.

%E7%9A%87%E5%AE%B6%E7%B3%96%E9%9C%9C.png

I don't think the western mobile game has reach this level of incline perverse yet. Also bonus knowledge: that's King Arthur in the picture.
Where is exalibur?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom