Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm patiently waiting for the shitstorms after combat style/gameplay systems get introduced. ITZ going be glorious!

:evilcodex:
Codex on 27th of february:
:0-13:
Me:
:avatard:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Too much silliness

Cheap, quirky and puerile -- that's Larian. And monstrous/grotesque exaggerations are rampant. Their writing has been unreadable so far. BG had some silliness but it also managed srs Realmslore.

And yeah, it's best to have abysally low expectations and be negative Nancy; that way anything they don't mangle will be a pleasant surprise.
Their writing is pretty good in Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity,it has plenty of dark in it.
There is Larian before D:OS and after D:OS, before their writing had some silliness but they didn't go full tard with it. I dunno if there was a change on the writing team or if it is a misguided attempt of being silly for LoLs on the D:OS games. I think this BG game will be better written than the D:OS games because of the setting as they wont go full tard with it as they did with the D:OS games and the trailer is a clue they are going for some kinda grim dark tone with it. The gameplay however is where I think the codex will be truly butthurt about.

Mud'

Scholar
I think this BG game will be better written than the D:OS games because of the setting as they wont go full tard with it as they did with the D:OS games and the trailer is a clue they are going for some kinda grim dark tone with it. The gameplay however is where I think the codex will be truly butthurt about.

Fat chance, this is what they said back when the Kickstarter for D:OS2 came out.

"Divinity: Original Sin 2 aims to change the way we work with narrative in RPGs. We’ve invested heavily in our writing team, hiring new writers with extensive experience in everything from screenwriting and narrative design to role-playing and table-top RPGs."

I really believe that they tried their best with D:OS2 since the number 1 complaint for D:OS1 was the writing and story and they pitched the idea that they were going to fix it.
Also, D:OS2 has some dark shit going on too, however the silly shit is right next to some dark shit, it has a lot of contrast sometimes, grimdark does not mean good writing.

DeepOcean

Arcane
grimdark does not mean good writing.
Oh, no, I don't expect good writing at all, I just think it is probable they will do a less terrible job than they did on the past. Good writing? That shit is dead on the gaming industry.

Heinrich

Scholar
Honestly, instead of speculating and babbling about for 300 pages, why not actually take a look at the sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKwi_5nePZg

Swen is pretty open about the bad things that happened in DOS and DOS2. Instead of wondering aimlessly why the writing was bad, why not listen to him tell us why the writing was bad. Isn't that easier?

Edit: Around the 10 minute mark he talks specifically about the writing.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Honestly, instead of speculating and babbling about for 300 pages, why not actually take a look at the sources:

Swen is pretty open about the bad things that happened in DOS and DOS2. Instead of wondering aimlessly why the writing was bad, why not listen to him tell us why the writing was bad. Isn't that easier?

How about you skip the whole lecturing shit and just tell us?!

Heinrich

Scholar

I'm not going to spoonfeed someone who has the time to shitpost all day but is too dumb to click on a youtube link :lol:

Quillon

Arcane
if he's silently playing on a laptop in an airport its fair to assume he ain't using a mouse nor gamepad, with such minimal input/kb+touchpad it must be tb. "it'll be akshun gaym" my ass. (obvious)mystery solved. you can thank me now :smug:

Turuko

Learned
if he's silently playing on a laptop in an airport its fair to assume he ain't using a mouse nor gamepad, with such minimal input/kb+touchpad it must be tb. "it'll be akshun gaym" my ass. (obvious)mystery solved. you can thank me now :smug:
inb4

airport-gamer.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Too many cooks in the kitchen. Not to toot my own horn, but I called it back in 2015, 2 days after I joined the Codex:

I literally cringed when I read that (the 5 people on the same paragraph thing). Too many creative minds in one place historically has been proven to "spoil the broth". At the top of my head - Boris Godunov, the opera by Mussorgsky. He died before completing the orchestration and some parts, so Rimsky-Korsakov and *friends* decided they could do better and re-orchestrated the whole thing, but also removed some parts and added others. After that, Shostakovich decided he could do EVEN BETTER and re-orchestrated the whole thing *again* and removed and added other stuff etc. The final product is a jumbled mess of ideas and incoherent plot, with the style of music and orchestration varying wildly from moment to moment. Suffice it to say it's a mess ;p

I can't imagine how working creatively with 5 people would be like. I really don't understand their creative process and how they think the narrative structure and style of the writing. I suppose if they write the *whole* thing together they could form a consistent aesthetic and form, but it would shine through that it was design-by-committee writing. I'm saying this because they themselves have said they wanted a more serious and grounded narrative. That means they have to take into account everything that a serious and grounded narrative entails. It isn't about "grimdarkness".

Oh, I wrote this before I had to write a score for a movie with 7 other people, I can imagine that perfectly now. It's a shitty and basically unworkable situation to be in.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Correct me if I'm wrong but both Divinity Original Sins and Pillars of Eternities are playable with a gamepad, and those games are pure cRPGs.

Quillon

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong but both Divinity Original Sins and Pillars of Eternities are playable with a gamepad, and those games are pure cRPGs.

Well that'd only strengthen my argument in the off chance if he were playing the game with a gamepad :P

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did the artist responsible for the art in BG1 die? Was he responsible for all of the art? There's a page dedicated to him in the BG2 manual. You know that thing with a spine, and these leafy white things with words on them.

Artists name was Daniel Walker.
Unti43tled.png

aris

Arcane
Good. I don't want a BG2 clone.

But there are some tropes I do want. Beholders, mind flayers (well this is obviously going to be there) and dragons. Secret liches/demi liches hiding out in cities. Ludicrously overpowered gear. Cheesy characters. Challenging combat.

Well actually that might turn into a BG2 clone if I get all that
:despair:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I want a strong male spider leader.

For too long have spiders been filed under the matriarchy and defaulted as "the evil female." Males have little to no presence while females pillage all the glory. The femme fatale is an evil spider in disguise, the deadly female assassin carries a spider motif, the deity of all spiders and worshiped by negro elves is a female.

Well I've had enough. I want to vote as well, I want to be able to live in my own cave and not expected to get killed by my 'STRONGER' female counterpart, I want to join a fucking party of adventurers that aren't ugly bitch Drow.

EQUALITY FOR MALES.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You mad? Social media would tear you apart for being misogynist and racist male spider leader. I'm sorry but you're cancelled. :positive:

Haha, get a load of THIS guy. All right, all right, listen to me you blockhead, you dunderhead, you bell end, you big stupid turns around...

21707.jpg

Oh... OH... it's you again! Hah, this is awkward. So um, I didn't mean anything there, I was actually talking to Citizen over there. Yeah, grr, fuck Citizen! I hate Lego trannies! Not you, big man! I'd never do any of that. Here's my NEW wallet and it even has the addresses of the best Underdark brothels! Take it, all yours, no trouble, no hurt. I go skittering back into the corner, JA? Remember, Citizen sucks! Not you, big black man!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom