Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Let me repeat what I have been saying for the last 8 months:
I think we will get something like Dragon Age Origins with 5e DND. A 3rd person Camera that can be zoomed out for combat that is either with RTWP or turn-based.
And with *chatroom roleplay tier* dialogue akin to D:OS?
I still can't believe how butthurt people were about that. Imagine if the she-Clinton person said Baldur's Gate was their favorite video game, half the Codex would denounce the game immediately, it will retroactively be declared to have always been shit and everyone will insist they never liked it or even played it. This is exactly the behavior we're seeing when it comes to *raises paw* dialogue formatting. It is tainted by association, and it is "bad" because "bad" people use it.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Raze the Larian CM said on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...ewing_larian_about_baldurs/fhzspco/?context=3
It will not be necessary to have played BG 1&2. Like the Divinity series, any story or lore necessary for the game will be included; hypothetically there could be some minor references or easter eggs that people who have played the earlier games could notice, which a new player would miss.

So it seems there is no real connection to the previous games.

I think the voice actress Alix Wilton Regan, she voiced Sebille from DOS 2/the female inquisitor from DAI and recently Valeria from Wolcen.
Devs love to recast the same voices for some reasons.

Curratum

It wouldn't make any sense to re-introduce a franchise after a 20-year break and expect players to be intimately familiar with the old games.

Codex Year of the Donut
Devs love to recast the same voices for some reasons.
Going to guess contractual reasons — almost guaranteed to be because of SAG being horrible. They attempt to treat the video game industry like movies and fail to understand that VAs are not the star of the show. Look at the big shitfit they threw a while back and game developers pretty much just laughed at them because they wanted a % of all profits from the game like real actors get with movies.
Upshot is that we're only about a decade away from quality voice synthesis.

It wouldn't make any sense to re-introduce a franchise after a 20-year break and expect players to be intimately familiar with the old games.

It would make sense only if you are cynical and make game for someone else than original fans. Which we know is true, because it's how people do sequels to previously established franchises : completely cynically. They always take fans for granted. Always.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It would make sense only if you are cynical and make game for someone else than original fans. Which we know is true, because it's how people do sequels to previously established franchises : completely cynically. They always take fans for granted. Always.

Eh, nobody resurrects old franchise just for the original fans. Thats why there will be easter eggs here and there as per the interview. You do this for both hooking the old fans, generating hype from mass media, and then hook the younger generations.

Business wise for a big studio having 30s - 40s as main audience for your product doesn't make sense. For a while now has WotC tried to break DnD out to the mainstream by making questionable video games licensing. I doubt this one will not be different. I believe BG3 is made for making DnD mainstream again in video games, not to solely to appeal to the old fans.

Good example is Fallout 3 I guess? It revived Fallout (whether we think is a good game or not doesn't matter, it was a financial success) and make it mainstream.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I doubt this one will not be different.

thinking.png

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I find it a bit interesting that Larian managed to "wrangle" itself 30 extra minutes. Sven seems to be having some muscles now. Do you have to pay for the extra time, or is it just the art of persuasion?

Decado might be able to answer this question.

I don't work for PAX and I'm flattered that you'd think I know this, but my guess is they had extra time so they gave it to Sven. When PAX is lucky enough to get a game reveal of this kind (they don't get many), they're not going to be stingy with time slots. It is in their best interests to give Sven what he is asking for, knowing the cultural cachet of the game and the possible level of excitement. I very much doubt there was any serious "wrangling" going on.

Elex

Arbiter
Some adult Illithids have even been known to hum a tune that its host knew in life. Usually, when a mind flayer inherits a trait like this, it keeps it a closely guarded secret, because, were its peers to learn of it, the Illithid in question would most likely be killed. This is due to an Illithid legend of a being called the "Adversary". The legend holds that, eventually, an Illithid larva that undergoes ceremorphosis will take on the host's personality and memory in its entirety. This Adversary would, mind and soul, still be the host, but with all the inherent abilities of an Illithid.

Occasionally, ceremorphosis can partially fail. Sometimes the larva does not contain enough chemicals to complete the process, sometimes there is psionic interference. Whatever the reason, it has happened that ceremorphosis has ended after the internal restructuring, resulting in a human body with an Illithid's brain, personality and digestive tract. These unfortunates must still consume brains, typically by cutting open heads (as they lack the requisite tentacles). These beings are often used as spies, where they easily blend in with their respective host types.
In the 2nd Edition AD&D adventure "Dawn of the Overmind", author Bruce Cordell revealed the nature of the Adversary. This being was an illithid created from the host body of a man named Strom Wakeman, a character referenced in some of Cordell's other 2nd Edition works, most notably as the "author" of "The Illithiad" supplement.
I think is going to be something like that.

need to eat brains for fuel powers.

Similar to the source power of dos2

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy
Larian gave some more info about the game on the Baldur's Gate subreddit!

It will not be necessary to have played BG 1&2. Like the Divinity series, any story or lore necessary for the game will be included; hypothetically there could be some minor references or easter eggs that people who have played the earlier games could notice, which a new player would miss.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...be_interviewing_larian_about_baldurs/fhzspco/

That's really cool to me since I never played the old games but I guess it would suck if Pillars of Eternity 3 was made and never had any real references to the old games.

Farewell into the night

Let's see. An old and beloved games are getting a sequel after nearly 20 years (since BG2).
This doesn't sound good to me.

Vatnik Wumao
Let's see. An old and beloved games are getting a sequel after nearly 20 years (since BG2).
This doesn't sound good to me.
It's a shekel grab and nothing more. That being said, without being optimistic in the least, maybe something decent will come out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom