Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vatnik Wumao
Divinity 2 was really disappointing. I got bored close to the end of the prison colony chapter as it just dragged on and on. BG3 better have faster pacing and more interesting writing.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
FnBjN4w.png
"Orc warrioress Lae'zel". :lol:
So... now Dak'kon's an orc.

Dak'kon is not a githyanki either :obviously:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dak'kon is not a githyanki either :obviously:

Well, to be precise the githyanki and the githzerai are originally both of the same gith race.
It's like saying libruls are not human.
They originated from the same race, but they developed into completely different ones, mainly due to the fact that they established themselves in different planes of existence. More than humans/liberals, the difference is humans/space travelers that ended up in a different universe and are now immortals.

But yeah, we can all agree that liberals are not humans.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is over, though, and has been over ever since IWD2 came out. Could RTwP have made a come-back had PoE1 base game not been as shit and almost unplayable? Maybe, but that's neither here nor there. The fetishists should be happy that Owlcat are still catering to their deviant desires.

And yes, I blame PoE exclusively.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
It is over, though, and has been over ever since IWD2 came out.
We've established that people who prefer RPGs soley based on whether or not they're TB or RTwP, regardless of anything and everything else, are part of the decline.
PF has deep and complex mechanics.
D:OS does not.
PF has theorycrafting and variety of builds.
D:OS also has it, but to a much lesser and far more boring degree.
The mistake you make Lacrymas is thinking that I, or indeed everyone who likes PF, likes it because it's RTwP.
Can't speak for the rest, but I don't. I prefer it because it's overall the superior game.
It's your problem you can't handle RTwP.
Now, I don't know what the fuck you're thinking with trashing absolute classics like IE games in favor of Larian developed, mass appeal, simplified shitpiles, we'll get to that later.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
He's not trashtalking IE games though. He accepts their RTwP system as being a product of the times in which they were made.
I don't know man.
It is over, though, and has been over ever since IWD2 came out.
That to me sounds like he's saying that TB won over (is better) than RTwP (including IE) games just cause Larian made D:OS and it sold and was recieved well.
But maybe I misunderstood.

Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, but that's just referencing the emerging popularity of TB. Doesn't mean that it took away anything from its RTwP precursors nor that Larian is suddenly great aside from its usage of a TB system. Lacrymas just had an earlier post today in which he criticized the shit writing of D:OS.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not trash talking the IE games, they are one of my favorite games of all time. That's despite the RTwP though. And I wouldn't say Larian are the reason for the contemporary TB boom. If I had to say something concrete, I'd go with the nu-XCom (there's only a content structure difference between a squad-based tactical game and an RPG), it was surprisingly well received and I was genuinely shocked how well it did even though it's TB. I didn't predict it will lead to this of course, but maybe it was obvious in hindsight.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Alright fair enough, I was wrong about you trashing IE games. But now you're completely focusing on that.
The fetishists should be happy that Owlcat are still catering to their deviant desires.
PF:KM is superior to D:OS. But so is Underrail, or hell even ATOM RPG.
A game being TB doesn't automatically make it better to RTwP.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, I know, I'll get to it eventually. There are also dissenting voices among our ranks, like pomenitul, who would say that PF:KM is a kiddy game and its good reputation here is undeserved. I'd go as far as to say that its current gameplay flaws wouldn't exist had it been TB. The endless trash and the feeling of it dragging on. There isn't as strong a drive to populate the game with trash when you are making a TB game. Some devs still do it, but it's generally noticeably less.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
So? I haven't played enough of PF:KM to say that, but even if that were true it would be despite the RTwP.
So now a game that uses the 3.5 D&D ruleset, which you haven't played that much, is worse than D:OS, just based on it being RTwP.
Like I said
It's your problem you can't handle RTwP.
You should do what Magnat suggested, with the TB mod if you really can't stomach the other system. Cause the character building and D&D systmes (some of which are badly implemented) of Pathfinder are really excellent and a breath of fresh air after all these years.
Pathfinder is far from a perfect game, but it's the closest we've come to IE games after almost 20 years, and it did come pretty close to them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's completely irrelevant, the character building would've been the same had it been a TB game. Because surprise, surprise, it's an adaptation of a TB system.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
My point being the character building is more fun and complex than any newer TB RPG.
Including Underrail, but especially compared to D:OS. I'm not arguing for TB over RTwP, I'm arguing that PF:KM is better than D:OS.
D:OS can be TB with polished combat and encounters all it wants, it's still a polished turd cause everything else about is simple.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I said it before I'll say it again, this game is gonna suck in story and gameplay mainly because it's Larian garbage, doesn't matter if it was TB, RTWP or an action game.
The problem with it being TB is not one that affects the quality of the game exactly, it's the fact that Larian took THE RtwP game and completly shit on it by making an abomination that has nothing to do with it (gameplay or story/tone) as a sequel cause they(and WotC) are incompetent greedy fucks, which is annoying for anyone who care about BG.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
to honor the victims of this horrific belgian plague, i've re-enabled my D:OS backer badge :salute:

I gave money to Larian's relationship simulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom