Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
He mentioned that in BG-3 "the A.I. can decide to shoot a barrel near the hero if the A.I. concludes that in the barrel can be some liquid that provides "difficult terrain".
I'm starting to think that Larian is entirely made up of barrel fetishists.
Am surprised they didn't announce a barrel romance yet....
Oak-Wine-Barrel-full-1A-700%3A10.10-894-f.png

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
TB has always been because of technical limitations

It's the same as to say painting only existed because of technical limitations, and now as we have photos we don't need it.
It''s totally wrong.
Say this about isometric games and first person view too - wrong again.
Say this about books and cinematography - still wrong.
TB has its own perks, RT or RTwP has its own, they are not the same and never will be.
You can't achieve with RT same as with TB.

I can't get this two-dimensional thinking, where "there can be only one", TB or RT, chose now and you will never see the second one.
Bullshit.

Kiss the feet of a goblin to steel a ring. ALL IN MOCAP. I hope his source is wrong.

Yeah, very realistic graffixx, found the pic.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To be absolutely fair, she doesn't look like a gith and even I thought she was an orc at first, like I've mentioned several times. I'm more willing to say Larian haven't made her gith enough when basically everyone doesn't know what she is than blame the journos this time. The article is quite cringe-y, though, sooo.
There wouldn't be such confusion between orcs and githyanki, if orcs had always been properly depicted as similar to the pig-men from W.H. Hodgson's classic novel The House on the Borderland.

tumblr_ppsypsN3DX1ro2bqto1_500.jpg
tumblr_mw3xb23Hx31ro2bqto1_500.jpg

Orcs as depicted by Doug Chaffee in the AD&D 2nd edition Player's Handbook and by David Sutherland in the AD&D Monster Manual.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zed Duke of Banville I always thought it was interesting how that changed, even in the text descriptions over time.
Like in PoR for C64, the orcs are pink and have pig faces both in their sprites and their close up portraits. From other linked images, I've seen that they're green in at least some other versions, but still have pig faces.

82957-pool-of-radiance-commodore-64-screenshot-surprised-by-b-orcs.png

hqdefault.jpg

Elex

Arbiter
It's the same as to say painting only existed because of technical limitations, and now as we have photos we don't need it.
It''s totally wrong.
Say this about isometric games and first person view too - wrong again.
Say this about books and cinematography - still wrong.
TB has its own perks, RT or RTwP has its own, they are not the same and never will be.
You can't achieve with RT same as with TB.

I can't get this two-dimensional thinking, where "there can be only one", TB or RT, chose now and you will never see the second one.
Bullshit.

Yeah, very realistic graffixx, found the pic.

of course RT and TB have their place.
but RTWP have a place?
it start to feel like a lazy way of doing one of the two: RT or TB.
Or a lazy method to put both TB (pause all the time after something happen) and full RT when you have some trash fight.

Why instead of RTWP designer don't create a game that have both mode and you can swap when you want and still make it good?
Is hard of course but is the real solution.

So basically Arcanum but with a good combat.

RTWP exist because of design limitation?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Because the first-ever video game was an RPG with multiple party members and NPC (enemies or otherwise) that can take parallel actions independent to one another with comparatively complex calculations for each action done behind the scene.

Sure man sure.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The first real-time strategy game (not as we know them today, but still) was released in 1981. It's not an RPG, but if you are arguing for different agents acting at the same time it is that.

I think Occam's Razor beats this argument in the first place, yeah it's possible that they went TB "due to limitations" while wanting to make a real time game, but it's way more likely that they took already existing systems (like D&D) and simply adapted them in video game form.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The first real-time strategy game (not as we know them today, but still) was released in 1981. It's not an RPG, but if you are arguing for different agents acting at the same time it is that.

I think Occam's Razor beats this argument in the first place, yeah it's possible that they went TB "due to limitations" while wanting to make a real time game, but it's way more likely that they took already existing systems (like D&D) and simply adapted them in video game form.
Why are you talking about some old games with simple design when we are talking about RPGs? They are by design more complex and need more shit to be made in to real time. There is a difference between mowing five pixels left and right while bouncing another pixel,and trying to emulate a whole fantasy world. Your argument is just grasping at straws.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Pig men aren't exactly scary or threatening. That second picture looks comedic.
The point isn't to look threatening but rather to maintain a proper delineation between various types of D&D/AD&D creatures, which would avoid any confusion by the audience, who are currently conflating two groups that have little in common other than being humanoid.

Gith:
fdwr6Df.png

Orc:
36pzH0V.png

Giff:
BXhpmKx.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
He mentioned that in BG-3 "the A.I. can decide to shoot a barrel near the hero if the A.I. concludes that in the barrel can be some liquid that provides "difficult terrain".
I'm starting to think that Larian is entirely made up of barrel fetishists.
Am surprised they didn't announce a barrel romance yet....
Oak-Wine-Barrel-full-1A-700%3A10.10-894-f.png

I can see on her face that she's a turn based fetishist.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How do these journalists find such people? If you truly don't care what other people think and want to ride that Eiffel tower until you cum, why bring in other people to basically spy on your sex life? I'm sure they didn't randomly find her and started filming her.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
How do these journalists find such people? If you truly don't care what other people think and want to ride that Eiffel tower until you cum, why bring in other people to basically spy on your sex life? I'm sure they didn't randomly find her and started filming her.

joking aside, these people suffered from an young age abuses of all sorts that scarred them mentally for life.
it's really sad the "fate" some people have.

Vatnik Wumao

joking aside, these people suffered from an young age abuses of all sorts that scarred them mentally for life.
Contemporary society does not do them any favors by ignoring (or sometimes even encouraging) their mental illnesses.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Diviantart and other places for degenerates.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Contemporary society does not do them any favors by ignoring (or sometimes even encouraging) their mental illnesses.
Yeah,they should be put in to mental houses and if possible helped,if not throw them in the incinerator.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

We should try to collect Codexers stories, i'm sure half the GD regular population is made of psychos.
For example, fantadomat here was probably raped by his uncles and brothers as a child and then by his mother and his grand-mother, probably his dogs too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom