Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios - No, there are no actual gameplay details yet

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Maybe they don’t care?
    octavius

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I refuse to board :hype:
    Being :bounce:about new games only leads to :butthurt:.

Besides the game is probably not made by any of the original devs. As far as I am concerned the true BG3 ship sailed a long time ago. It may turn out to be a decent game, with only a token amount of offensive romances or transphilia agenda shoved down the player's throat, but the chance of the game capturing the spirit of BG1 and 2 is very slim, I think.

• Brofist x 11
    • Agree x 4
    • incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

:prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:

• Old Old x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Chippy Liturgist

Chippy
    I was only taking the piss several pages ago when I rewrote the Diable 2 storyline with Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul....

^ Top  
  5. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    To quote Lilura: I refer you to my authoritative reactions a few pages back.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    So, what's the official story what happened after BG2?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    According to "Murder in Baldur's Gate", Abdel Adrian rejected godhood, then traveled as an adventurer, after which he settled for some time in Candlekeep for "rest and recollection". Following that, he moved to Baldur's Gate, where he bacame captain of the Flaming Fist. Over time, due to his reputation and popularity, he was pressured by the populace to become a Duke, a role in which he served until his death at age 136 during his duel with Viekang.

NOTE: The results of the duel itself are ambivalent, and can go either way depending on several factors. Either Abdel Adrian loses, and simply dies; or he wins, in which case he transforms into a Slayer, which forces others to well...slay him, thus completing the resurrection of Bhaal.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ziggy Learned

Ziggy
    after BG2, everyone hanged out and had a grand old time drinking cool beers and doing pranks and such. just being boys

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    HOWEVER: "Heroes of Baldur's Gate", which was released AFTER "Murder in Baldur's Gate", completely avoids the topic, and simply names CHARNAME as "Gorion's Ward". The same thing with the "resurrected/remade Minsc" comics, where Gorion's Ward hasn't been mentioned in any capacity even once.

Basically there are two possibilities right now:
    - Abdel Adrian becomes the "canon" CHARNAME full-time (Human, Male, Neutral).
    - They're going to retcon it.

EDIT: Terribly sorry, made one mistake. Abdel Adrian was canonically a Fighter back when he was the same guy from the novels. As of 5th Edition (and "Murder in Baldur's Gate") his class is left intentionally blank.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Chippy Liturgist

Chippy
    They're gonna do a Diablo 2 and make Abdel Adrian the big bad. Then the butthurt will be complete. ;)

^ Top  
  11. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    No, he dies either way in "Murder in Baldur's Gate". What was a good touch is stating that Bhaal's "spirit" is so weak because it has been suffused with CHARNAME'S goodness over the years, and thus weakened.

^ Top  
  12. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    By the way, dear people, I think the game will be released not too long into the future. Notice how close to each other two other Baldur's Gate products are released:
    - Descent to Avernus - Campaign Module - September 2019 - This will probably product #1 in the chronology of events.
    - Infernal Tides - Comics (Minsc as a main character) - November 2019 - This will be product #2 in the chronology of events.
    - Baldur's Gate III - product #3 in the chronology of events.

This, combined with "Murder in Baldur's Gate" lead me to believe, perhaps foolishly, that the Illithids will be either a red herring or an "Act I villain", since each and every product leading to the game deals with Bhaal/Hell etc.

EDIT: OK, let's face it: the game will be coming out in the Holiday Season. Below is the only good drawing of Minsc (no goofy face, no battle cry, just a nice, confident look).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Turuko Novice

Turuko
    if there's one thing Swen has been categorical in the many same interviews is that it's not coming out this year

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    Swen also denied, before the official announcement, that they're working on the game.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Holy shit, Larian fans, THIS is what you like? This contributes to your excitement over BG3? Do you also love anime and live rent-free in your parent’s house?

Is Larian’s fan base here all 12 year olds LARPing lightning bolt in their local park?

• Funny x 5
    • Yes x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • meh x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Chippy Liturgist

Chippy
    Did they even bother explaining that? I suppose if you were good in BG you could suppress Bhaal, but in that module he had the essence of all the Bhaalspawn and was able to overcome Abdel Adrian and turn him into the slayer anyway. And then a level 40 character who turns into the slayer gets killed by a bunch of plebs playing their firs module.

At this point I don't know what's worse; their writing or total disregard for the character people built in the BG games. They should have just had the balls to do what was done in Dawn of War 2, and banished the main character. But then I suppose people would want to find them.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    No, it doesn't even make sense that Abdel Adrian has ANY essence within him, since in the "choose mortality" ending it is removed from him entirely. In that particular ending, ironically, the only ones left with the essence of Bhaal are Imoen and Sarevok.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. hexer Arcane

hexer
    He was also canonically 7 ft. tall :lol:

I've read a journalist's speculation the game will come out at the same time as Stadia which is November 2019.
    That's fabulously optimistic especially when you hear Sven say: "it will come out when it's ready"

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    He has to say that until his overlords allow him to announce the release date.

^ Top  
  20. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Sarevok protagonist? Yes please.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    Yes, and had dark hair and looked only slightly wizened. They do pucked up his illustration in that aspect.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    Unfortunately, not only does he have an epilogue, but multiple ones, and conclusive to his story. I've posted many pages ago a list provided by "Heroes of Baldur's Gate" of ex-companions who are still alive, and except for Minsc, who is a special case, and Imoen, they are mostly characters restriced to Baldur's Gate I, since those have no epilogue.

^ Top  
  23. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    BG1 armour looks good and sensible, BG2 armour is spiky animetard abomination, so any armour style in BG3 can be claimed as appropriate succession.

• incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Auraculum Baldur's Gate Lore Police

Auraculum
    Here's the list, once again:
    - Minsc,
    - Coran,
    - Dynaheir,
    - Edwin,
    - Faldorn,
    - Imoen,
    - Jaheira
    - Kagain,
    - Kivan,
    - Xzar,
    - Montaron,
    - Viconia,
    - Xan,

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. hexer Arcane

hexer
    This is his last portrait before bastards nicked him.
    I blame the fucking Harpers!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)