Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gunman

Arcane
Developer
It is a strange situation, because Larian with Divine Divinity they took Ultima VII to another level of detail, but failed to capture the charm of it. D:OS brought incline with the turn based system but on the other hand the game had no soul, it was like an empty shell. If they go with the same receipt and play it safe, it will be a profitable but forgettable game. Which is most likely because they are a fat corporation now.

There are two ways in which to make it a memorable game to raise it to the stature of BG 1&2 games: either by writing & story (not likely), or by excellent gameplay mechanics, something like ToEE with zero filler combat (not likely)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't disagree, but there's something hysterical (yet magnificent) about anyone criticizing Matt Barton for insufficient autism.

Generalist commentary always gets picked apart by experts; always, and without exception. Even the greatest literary generalists get picked apart by the experts in their field. (Goethe, who was probably the most erudite of human beings on the generalist scale, got picked apart on optics and logic.)

Generalists write bluffer's guides for the masses...

Videogame generalist commentators are locusts that buzz from game to game. They reference expert commentary in order gain their bearings. Then, they distort and dumb it down for their casual audiences who prefer to read about and watch games being played, rather than actually play them. This is why they don't get called out for their errors and distortions on their channels/blogs: their audience hasn't played the game; they are just a cheersquad. On the other hand, the expert gets called out immediately... by other experts.

Generalists pretend to know a little bit about everything but possess no explicit knowledge. That's why, on the fly, they can't speak with authority on anything. In form, most of their "statements" are partial, non-declarative, and end in the rising intonation of Valleyspeak; in content, it's up to the audience to find meaning in what they say.

Last edited:

Corvinus

Arcane
While a profound understanding will always trump a superficial one, I have found that knowing a little about everything gives you a much clearer overall picture. It is also the pathway to greater understanding. Valleyspeak or dumbing things down is of course without excuse, but wouldn't you agree with the first part?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
While a profound understanding will always trump a superficial one, I have found that knowing a little about everything gives you a much clearer overall picture. It is also the pathway to greater understanding.

Generalists should commentate on the general, not the specific. The subject is a collector and chronicler (an inaccurate one, if you ask me, similar to that charlatan-'Dexer who cobbled together a coffee table book). These types have no business commentating on the specific. Watch the NWN2 vid: an expert wouldn't even bother picking it apart. If the transcript was extracted and posted, it's just 3 hours of gibberish that ends in salesmanship and donate-beggary.

Corvinus

Arcane
If the transcript was extracted and posted, it's just 3 hours of gibberish that ends in salesmanship and donate-beggary.
No disagreement from me. I cannot however comment on the CRPG book, as I have not read it. I would however say that, in any case, the best insight is always offered by those that have a true love for the subject, not the shallow whores who are in it for the attention and financial gain.

Lilura, my man, I'll repeat it over, and over again, until you get it: overusage of adjectives does not constitute good writing.

A Beamdog apologist like yourself is not qualified to provide commentary about anything.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't disagree, but there's something hysterical (yet magnificent) about anyone criticizing Matt Barton for insufficient autism.

Generalist commentary always gets picked apart by experts; always, and without exception. Even the greatest literary generalists get picked apart by the experts in their field. (Goethe, who was probably the most erudite of human beings on the generalist scale, got picked apart on optics and logic.)

Generalists write bluffer's guides for the masses...

Videogame generalist commentators are locusts that buzz from game to game. They reference expert commentary in order gain their bearings. Then, they distort and dumb it down for their casual audiences who prefer to read about and watch games being played, rather than actually play them. This is why they don't get called out for their errors and distortions on their channels/blogs: their audience hasn't played the game; they are just a cheersquad. On the other hand, the expert gets called out immediately... by other experts.

Generalists pretend to know a little bit about everything but possess no explicit knowledge. That's why, on the fly, they can't speak with authority on anything. In form, most of their "statements" are partial, non-declarative, and end in the rising intonation of Valleyspeak; in content, it's up to the audience to find meaning in what they say.

The genders might be reversed, but I feel like Lilura needs to take a bit of advice from Socrates:

My advice for you is to get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy: if not, you'll become a philosopher.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ah... but were they happy?
Anyway... its the whole Achilles in Odyssey thing: what good is fame after you're too dead to enjoy it?

Plus plenty of married men were famous anyway, but generally not due to marriage or their philosophical skills.

D:OS brought incline with the turn based system but on the other hand the game had no soul, it was like an empty shell.

I think you have that exactly backwards. Heart and soul were the mainstays of D:OS. The entire thing was a childish romp of exploration with a novel elemental spell system. It was free and fun, but dumb and frivolous.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the expert gets called out immediately... by other experts.

In life you are born looking at the horizon. Teachers will help you narrow down your horizon by perfecting your approach and focusing you on your calling, traits and aptitudes, until you end up to a single point.

And that is your point of view.

Your "write-ups" will never be more than a point of view, wether you like it or not.
In my opinion, if you really want to be an authority, you need to make a better game than the whole Baldur's Gate saga.

Good luck.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And in retrospect, seeing what a turd Google Stadia is shaping up to be, my confidence in Swen grows exponentially.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus fuck, guys. As much as I disdain Swen Vincke and all of his works, there’s nothing wrong with announcing a game and then waiting a while before you share many details with the public. That’s totally unremarkable.

I, too, bridle at the tyranny of linear time, but I don’t think we can blame Larian for that.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Stop shilling, Lilura.

I don't initiate about my blog anymore. I'm just responding to shitposter-alts such as yourself. I agree that all the shitposter-alts should just ignore me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom