Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted Member 16721

Did I mention what I want from this game?

Open world Faerun.
Huge cities with large scale.
Final Fantasy 15 style combat in 3rd person.
Control one created character while other characters use AI (and as leader you can give them overarching commands).

it's coming, oh yes, it's coming.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
An interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIHd_eVvPY

Some of my concerns >

• The art style. Armor looks too much like an "carnival suit" instead of real armor on most recent Larian games. Everything is sparkling and cartoonish.
  • Larian never made an old school RPG. Even Divine Divinity, is more similar to diablo than to BG.
  • Comments of Vincke about missing, spell slots and leveling. Note that missing is present since pool of radiance(1988) and he said that it "obvious not work"
  • The size of the project. No AAA modern RPG can be good. At best AA RPG's like PoE 2 can be good.
  • After a lot of people asked then about their comments, they said nothing.
  • Larian got a lot of success on DOS2, an very modernized so is extremely likely that they will try "modernize" BG...

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably an interesting video but based on a moot point. The core of any RPG tone is the writing, and all of the people that did the writing in the past have been moved onto other things. So Obsidian and Larian? Who gives a shit. One is dogshit and the other is diverse rainbow shit.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Some of my concerns >
Let be gone your concerns.

The art style. Armor looks too much like an "carnival suit" instead of real armor on most recent Larian games. Everything is and cartoonish.
Doesn't have to look like real armor at all. Medieval is so overrated and cliche.

Larian never made an old school RPG.
Divinity Original Sin is one of the best CRPGs ever.

The size of the project. No AAA modern RPG can be good. At best AA RPG's like PoE 2 can be good.
It will be better than D:OS II.
After a lot of people asked then about their comments, they said nothing.
Because it's not crowfunded game and they can't say anything before time is right.
Larian got a lot of success on DOS2, an very modernized so is extremely likely that they will try "modernize" BG...
And that is exactly what they need to do. Too much nostalgia in you. Let it go.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Doesn't have to look like real armor at all. Medieval is so overrated and cliche.

But on BG1/2 armor looks real and plate armor is much more effective vs slashing than blunt weapon. "overrated and cliche" is wrong because armor exists since ancient greece until modern day.

Divinity Original Sin is one of the best CRPGs ever.

Is not an old school RPG. Sure, is popular, but is nothing like BG1/2.

It will be better than D:OS II.

Better in what?

Because it's not crowfunded game and they can't say anything before time is right.

I know, but clarify misunderstanding(if are) is important part of public management

And that is exactly what they need to do. Too much nostalgia in you. Let it go.

No, is not "nostalgia", i like old school RPG's, because they are immersive. Armor is armor. Deflect blows and offers protection. Armor is not the DNA of your character determining his INT/STR like on D:OS2 where armor is over 90% of your character power. And i hate cooldown and other BS mechanics that makes ZERO sense. Old school RPG's offers much more immersion than this modern games with realistic graphics. I rather play M&M VI than any modern mmo.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
But on BG1/2 armor looks real and plate armor is much more effective vs slashing than blunt weapon. "overrated and cliche" is wrong because armor exists since ancient greece until modern day.
Again, you talk about historical facts. BG3 will find its own visual style. And why would need to rely on ancient greek style and not on mongolian armor? You're overthinking it.

Better in what?
I don't know.
I know, but clarify misunderstanding(if are) is important part of public management
Look, don't think or look at trailers until the game comes out.

No, is not "nostalgia", i like old school RPG's, because they are immersive. Armor is armor. Deflect blows and offers protection. Armor is not the DNA of your character determining his INT/STR like on D:OS2 where armor is over 90% of your character power. And i hate cooldown and other BS mechanics that makes ZERO sense. Old school RPG's offers much more immersion than this modern games with realistic graphics. I rather play M&M VI than any modern mmo.
D:OSII is pretty immersive. Just wait for the game and don't let these troublesome thoughts to overcome you.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yes, Vancian magic makes much more sense than cooldowns.

When I learn something and memorize it, as soon as I recall the memory my mind erases that memory right away.:M

Tigranes

Arcane

When I learn something and memorize it, as soon as I recall the memory my mind erases that memory right away.:M

Sometimes, people post dumbass strawmen seemingly unaware it had been posted literally hundreds of times before and each and every single time it was some moron talking to nobody but their own shriveled ballsacks

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Vancian magic makes perfect sense in Jack Vance's Dying Earth setting, and it was this magic system that was adopted for Dungeons & Dragons, with similar justification. +M

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

When I learn something and memorize it, as soon as I recall the memory my mind erases that memory right away.

You memorize and attune. Anyway, Vancian is used on fantastic fiction, CDs only on boring mmos.

Note that some classes on 3.5e doesn't need to memorize. Sorcerers, Warlocks, etc for eg. Dark Souls 1/2 uses spell slots(something that for Larian "is not intuitive") and works pretty well.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm well aware guys.

Still, if one can have a setting that "makes sense" of fire-and-forget magic, one can have a setting that make sense of cooldowns in a similar hair-splitting manner. They're both shit from a realism point of view.

In any case, having an in-setting justification for a magical system doesn't necessarily make it a good explanation, nor does it make it good from a gameplay point of view.

Note that some classes on 3.5e doesn't need to memorize. Sorcerers, Warlocks, etc
And why do you imagine they kept Vancian for Wizards, and then modified it or replaced it for Clerics, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Psionics, etc.? Because Vancian wasn't universally liked from a gameplay point of view, so they made caster classes a choose-your-own-magic-system buffet. Plus, Vancian didn't work from a world-building point of view for every homebrewed setting, so they gave GMs the option to allow/disallow classes, and modify classes and magic systems. It's right there in the DMG.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And why do you imagine they kept Vancian for Wizards, and then modified it or replaced it for Clerics, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Psionics, etc.? Because Vancian wasn't universally liked from a gameplay point of view, so they made caster classes a choose-your-own-magic-system buffet. Plus, Vancian didn't work for every homebrewed setting, so they gave GMs the option to allow/disallow classes, and modify classes and magic systems. It's right there in the DMG.

None of then use cooldowns.
In 3.5e >

Sorcerers can use Stop time/wish/etc 6 times in row and maybe 7 or 8 if they have high CHA.
Clerics needs to pray for an deity, so is similar to memorization, despite being able to cast FEW spells as an spontaneous spell...
Druids are similar to clerics
Warlocks can use invokations at will. He can be invisible 24/7 if he want.

Vancian magic system is used in adaptations since pool of radiance(1988), and i can only remember Sword Coast Legends and D&D Online who have cooldowns. But for Vincke "is not intuitive"...

PS : Note that wizards memorize and attune. If they only memorize, they could't memorize two times how to cast an fireball for eg...

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Larian got a lot of success on DOS2, an very modernized so is extremely likely that they will try "modernize" BG...

Well, there is stuff, that needs to get better. If they are more closely to BG2 than 1 (which will be case, because that's the game most people think they liked), then resting for example needs an overhaul. Also more inclusion of Attributes in dialogues (never gets old) and more possible solutions for quests, which they got right in the D:OS-games. More interaction with the world in general would be nice. And I think we can expect that from them. And since WotC wants their brand to be recognised, so we can also assume that the monsters will stay close to their design.

Everything else (writing, music design of armours and weapons) is kind of cumbersome to discuss. Personally I think, that the writing in RPG's got better in the last years. We got some good shit: Shadowrun, the Original Sins (yes, I like the writing in 1), Pillars and even Wasteland 2 was a-ok. The greatest stinker in that regard was Numenera, but that was because there was no direction, instead of people having no talent. Same with Pillars 2. But some writers could be Shakespeare and people would hate it. So meh.

But the thing is, I played BG2+Throne of Bhaal recently and the overall plot has more holes than cheese and you can see, that Bioware back then wanted tell a more interesting story, but hadn't the money/the experience/the technology to do it. The first story that really felt complete was Kotor 1. That was also their first game, that really felt complete.

What was great in BG2, was the side-content, but even that was quite linear on very small maps. If Larian wants to be close to that, then they would've to cut down the maps and turn it mostly into one encounter after another. And I'm not sure, that I want that in my games today. Even in Icewind Dale 2 I could do more sidestuff than in BG2 and doing that better, would already be in improvement. I want BG1 in the playstyle of D:OS1-2, because that is fun. I like having fun.

Also turnbased-combat because RTwP is just looks nice, but today is kinda boring.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Larian could probably make BG1 map into one big open world area. And that could be just one chapter in BG3.

latest

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Larian could probably make BG1 map into one big open world area. And that could be just one chapter in BG3.

Huh, good point. And knowing Swen, quite realistic. So the rest could take place in the Underdark and the Nine Hells? Huh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom