Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
How do we still know nothing about this game, lmao

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Maybe something from The Game Awards (December 12th). Swen has great memories of losing Best RPG award twice there, to Dragon Age: Inquisition and Persona 5.

Codex Year of the Donut
If anything, I'm more impressed at how well they kept a lid on this. They've been developing it at least since sometime before DOS2 released and there wasn't any leaks was there?
Just realized this means that WotC let them use the IP before DOS2 became a megahit
I wonder what Swen did to get the rights to make it
:M

toroks

Educated
My guess: They're probably scared of the all the negative hype it would get from oldschool BG1/BG2-fans if we got the information, because it will be nothing like BG1/BG2. They know we will hate what we'd see...

Silly Germans

My guess: They're probably scared of the all the negative hype it would get from oldschool BG1/BG2-fans if we got the information, because it will be nothing like BG1/BG2. They know we will hate what we'd see...

Was there ever a sequel to an old series that did not get negativity from old school fans ?
Anyways, I doubt that Larian cares much about this since they have most likely a pretty large fanbase due to D:OS I/II that does not care much for the BG series. As long as the game itself is good they will probably do fine
disregarding any existing or missing resemblance to the original games.
Is it known when the development of BG III started ?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Was there ever a sequel to an old series that did not get negativity from old school fans ?
Anyways, I doubt that Larian cares much about this since they have most likely a pretty large fanbase due to D:OS I/II that does not care much for the BG series. As long as the game itself is good they will probably do fine
One can’t disregard such power as BG fans. It just cannot be. Otherwise there was no need to even aqcuire this title.

Mortmal

Arcane
How they managed to keep a lid on? They game was barely on paper when they announced Stadia deal. And Stadia is already failing, so naturally it was all a scam. Enjoy!
Founder edition are already oversold, dont think its failing, it may be the future of AAA gaming if google pour money into it , exactly like Microsoft made the Xbox force its way into the market. It can become very popular, previews were stelllar.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It will most likely be DOS:3 in BG universe
This is very unlikely, Larian is moving into the mass market RPG territory, mass market rpg fans hate anything remotely isometric. This will be an action game with RPG elements, not saying that it will be awful (I personally like Ego Draconis ) but if you want a more realist bet, look to Dragon Age Inquisition or even the recently released Greedfall. There is a huge opening on that market as most publishers just are making online slot machines, if Larian pander to the orphaned Bioware audience, they can make a bank, the same way Obsidian was successful by pandering to abandoned Bethesda fanboys (unfortunately that might include appealing to SJWs).

Dodo1610

Arcane
One can’t disregard such power as BG fans. It just cannot be. Otherwise there was no need to even aqcuire this title.

Nope, they use Baldurs Gate because the name itself is well known even among people who would never play it. People recognize the name they do not need to know the game behind it. This will primarily be a game that's about the current D&D hype, with some cheap fanservice. Because everyone knows BG was about the wacky adventures of Minsc and his hamster amirite.

toroks

Educated

Yeah, you have a good point there. Sadly, Larian can probably defile the Baldur's Gate legacy completely and still get away with it because of the recent success with the DOS-games. The DOS-fans generally won't give a crap about the BG legacy, and many of them never even played it. Now if Larian can just sneak out the game and get some good reviews before those little annoying oldschool fans get much time to cause a fuzz and "bring da ruckus"...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If anything, I'm more impressed at how well they kept a lid on this. They've been developing it at least since sometime before DOS2 released and there wasn't any leaks was there?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...e-3-rumors-confirmed-go-to-new-thread.123972/

Funnily enough, the only leak so far was through a Codexer (Bester). Swen then hired a private detective to find out his name and address by sifting through his post history on the Codex. Now Bester is paranoid. Maybe they found who leaked at Larian and this person was made an example of to deter further leaks.

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
So rusty_shackleford put a citation needed in the message. No, WotC didn't give Larian the rights of Baldur's Gate 3 until they had a hit.

"I went to them after Divinity: Original Sin and I tried to convince them back then, but they said we were a bit too green," says CEO Swen Vincke.
Divinity: Original Sin was successful enough to warrant a sequel, so Larian started work on that instead. After Larian started showing off Original Sin 2, Wizards of the Coast started to take notice. This time it got in touch with Larian.
"They saw what we were doing and asked if we were still interested," says Vincke. "That got the ball rolling. During Divinity: Original Sin 2, we had to submit the design for it, but it was annoying because we were about to release DOS2. So we sat in a hotel for a weekend the month before release, me and a couple of writers and designers, and we made the initial design document. It wasn't very good, but it had the core ideas and they did like it, so they asked us to make another version."
https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-was-shot-down-the-first-time-it-wanted-to-make-baldurs-gate-3/

So, WotC contacted with Larian after:
- Larian had a hit with the first Divinity
- Had a second successful Kickstarter for the sequel
- They were about to release the second game

Just a month before the release, Larian give a design document to WotC. Is easy to guess that they waited the first reactions to Divinity: Original Sin 2 and then they give the full rights.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is very unlikely, Larian is moving into the mass market RPG territory, mass market rpg fans hate anything remotely isometric. This will be an action game with RPG elements

Dude, D:OS 1 and 2 were mass market successes. Did you even read just a few posts above yours:

Larian spent 15 years barely scraping by making real-time games at publisher demands(because "turn-based doesn't sell", according to publishers,) then Swen — who has admitted this himself — decided to make turn based games because it's what he wanted to make. And as we all know, that definitely wasn't a mega-hit and didn't lead to a sequel that sold extremely well.
Yeah, I'm sure their next game will be real-time.
Are you guys insane?

Plus, Larian tried to get the BG license before they made D:OS and couldn't get it. After the success of turn-based D:OS (and shortly before the completion of D:OS 2) WoTC reached out to Larian themselves and offered the license. That kind of tells you that they were not impressed with Larian's earlier real-time stuff, but liked turn-based D:OS and its success.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...e-3-rumors-confirmed-go-to-new-thread.123972/

Funnily enough, the only leak so far was through a Codexer (Bester). Swen then hired a private detective to find out his name and address by sifting through his post history on the Codex. Now Bester is paranoid. Maybe they found who leaked at Larian and this person person was made an example of to deter further leaks.
LoL that is pretty hard work for a PI,they are mostly used to filming cheating wife. If you want that shit you have to hire a decent hacker that could trace the ip and brute force his account password so he could find the correspondence. And that is also a 50/50 because if he was a tad bit smart,he would have had that shit on different platform,like some obscure russian email site or just cleaned all that shit before the leak and burn it on a hard offline copy.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Is easy to guess that they waited for the first reactions to Divinity 2 to give them full rights.

You do know that "Divinity 2" usually refers to a different game and not D:OS 2?
Sadly no one remembers Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, even Larian has put this warning on Divinity 2's store page
Steam-Banner-v5-DIV2.png

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
How they managed to keep a lid on? They game was barely on paper when they announced Stadia deal. And Stadia is already failing, so naturally it was all a scam. Enjoy!
Founder edition are already oversold, dont think its failing, it may be the future of AAA gaming if google pour money into it , exactly like Microsoft made the Xbox force its way into the market. It can become very popular, previews were stelllar.
Yeah member that shit... "on live" or something like that. Worked out "great". If retards buying something in droves does not mean anything other then that those retards got disposable income.
(((Previews))). I've read that it requires super ideal connection to play.

S.torch

Arbiter
You do know that "Divinity 2" usually refers to a different game and not D:OS 2?

I knew. But I thought that in this context everyone would have understand that I'm talking about Original Sin, not the actual Divinity game.
But maybe you're right, I will edit the message to avoid "Skyrim effect".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom