Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Codex is busy larping jaded veterans again i see.

D:OS 2 wasnt perfect, but every single one of you would have strangled his grandmother for a game like this in the great drought period of rpgs. Its going upwards bros and i have trust in Larian to know what the fans of the franchise want.
DOS2 was shit... It had it's moments ( not much ), visually it was shitty wow clone, story sucked ass, combat devolved to necrofire every time. And fucking "humor", fuck that.

hexer

D:OS 2 wasnt perfect, but every single one of you would have strangled his grandmother for a game like this in the great drought period of rpgs. Its going upwards bros and i have trust in Larian to know what the fans of the franchise want.

From Swen's interviews, it seems the team will put their heart and soul into it.
But we must wait for them to show the actual gameplay!
I'm cautiously optimistic... but expect some sort of a hybrid system.

It's another world-saving scenario, hard pass.

None of the Forgotten Realms games had world-saving scenarios. At most, you will save the Sword Coast.
It seems like in BG3 a player's character will be tasked with stopping Illithid invasion.

Illithids could also be a red herring.

Curratum

I for one will allow myself to be moderately excited about this and believe that they can find some way of using real-time combat under the 5E ruleset (which is also my biggest highlight of the whole game) and make it flow and feel nice and not need 45 minutes to resolve a single encounter with 3 enemies.

ArchAngel

Arcane

RickOmbo

Learned
What is wrong with saving the world
The fact that it's in every RPG. You either save mc's world or his area.

The huge majority of WRPGs do not involve saving the world. Let's see:
- Baldur's Gate I,
- Baldur's Gate II,
- Planescape: Torment,
- Icewind Dale,
- Icewind Dale II,
- Neverwinter Nights,
- Neverwinter Nights - Both Expansions,
- Neverwinter Nights II,
- Neverwinter Nights II - Mask of the Betrayer,
- Pillars of Eternity,
- Pillars of Eternity II,

Actually, the only one I can think of post 1998 is Arcanum.
I forgot about games from the list, these aren't about saving anything.

Molina

Savant
What is wrong with saving the world
The fact that it's in every RPG. You either save mc's world or his area.

The huge majority of WRPGs do not involve saving the world. Let's see:
- Baldur's Gate I,
- Baldur's Gate II,
- Planescape: Torment,
- Icewind Dale,
- Icewind Dale II,
- Neverwinter Nights,
- Neverwinter Nights - Both Expansions,
- Neverwinter Nights II,
- Neverwinter Nights II - Mask of the Betrayer,
- Pillars of Eternity,
- Pillars of Eternity II,
- Dragon Age: Origins,
- Dragon Age II,

Actually, the only one I can think of post 1998 is Arcanum, Mass Effect and maybe Dragon Age: Inquisition.
And yet, Arcanum still the best RPG ever.

In BG3 we need to save the world.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Probably the most poorly-drawn or animated trailer I've ever seen. I thought I was watching the BG 1 intro, except without the memorable lines but the same graphical fidelity.

Not to graphics whore, but if you're going to lead with some no gameplay trailer, can't you make it at least look decent?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have just finished reading "A Murder in Baldur's Gate", and have information on Gorion's Ward:
- Abdel Adrian, though named like the character from the novels, IS NOT THE SAME PERSON. He's CHARNAME from the games. It's official, folks: the novels are non-canon. A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
- Despite being 136 old at the time of the module, Adrian retains the strength and vigour of a young man.
- Ignore his picture. His actual description is thus: "Black hair frames his unrelenting eyes and slightly wizened face." Someone fucked up and made him look much older than he should.
- He became a member of the Flaming Fist after his life of an adventurer ended, and after a period of "rest and recollection" in Candlekeep. More proof for the novels being non-canon, since within them he is a captain of the Flaming Fists from the get-go.
- Abdel Adrian shares none of the character traits of the faggot from the novels. Praise Allah.
Not surprising. How many people actually cared or even knew about that novel? The canon story of the series starts with BG1 and ends with ToB.

reavor

Novice

From Swen's interviews, it seems the team will put their heart and soul into it.
But we must wait for them to show the actual gameplay!
I'm cautiously optimistic... but expect some sort of a hybrid system.

It's another world-saving scenario, hard pass.

None of the Forgotten Realms games had world-saving scenarios. At most, you will save the Sword Coast.
It seems like in BG3 a player's character will be tasked with stopping Illithid invasion.

Illithids could also be a red herring.

Apparently the Illithid angle refers back to the whole "The Hidden" quasi-subplot in BG2, the Illithid base under Athkatla, and the references of Illithid infiltration of the Sword-Coast in for example Durlags Tower.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have just finished reading "A Murder in Baldur's Gate", and have information on Gorion's Ward:
- Abdel Adrian, though named like the character from the novels, IS NOT THE SAME PERSON. He's CHARNAME from the games. It's official, folks: the novels are non-canon. A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
- Despite being 136 old at the time of the module, Adrian retains the strength and vigour of a young man.
- Ignore his picture. His actual description is thus: "Black hair frames his unrelenting eyes and slightly wizened face." Someone fucked up and made him look much older than he should.
- He became a member of the Flaming Fist after his life of an adventurer ended, and after a period of "rest and recollection" in Candlekeep. More proof for the novels being non-canon, since within them he is a captain of the Flaming Fists from the get-go.
- Abdel Adrian shares none of the character traits of the faggot from the novels. Praise Allah.
Not surprising. How many people actually cared or even knew about that novel? The canon story of the series starts with BG1 and ends with ToB.

There was a novel?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't believe you.
Why is it people that disagree have to accuse the one with the opinion they don't like of lying? Of course there's some hyperbole. It's probably not the worst game trailer I've ever seen. But it's certainly in the bottom fifth. It looks aesthetically ugly. The mind flayer doesn't look quite right, the soldier is oddly animated and the surroundings look relatively low fidelity. Why is it you can't accept a contrary opinion? I don't have to like what you like.

Worse, I actually really like the illithid. I've read every lore book I could find on them. And I'll tell you that this trailer doesn't do their menace justice, in face of some "le epic bad guy" vibe that's downright lowbrow.

turkishronin

Arcane
Don't believe you.
Why is it people that disagree have to accuse the one with the opinion they don't like of lying? Of course there's some hyperbole. It's probably not the worst have trailer I've ever seen. But it's certainly in the bottom fifth. It looks aesthetically ugly. The mind flayer doesn't look quite right, the soldier is oddly animated and the surroundings look relatively low fidelity. Why is it you can't accept a contrary opinion? I don't have to like what you like.

Bro the man vomited blood and turned into a tentacle monster it was cool

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I tell you, a faithful rendition of the process shown would be far more horrifying and body horror than the version they went with.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't believe you.
Why is it people that disagree have to accuse the one with the opinion they don't like of lying? Of course there's some hyperbole. It's probably not the worst game trailer I've ever seen. But it's certainly in the bottom fifth. It looks aesthetically ugly. The mind flayer doesn't look quite right, the soldier is oddly animated and the surroundings look relatively low fidelity. Why is it you can't accept a contrary opinion? I don't have to like what you like.

Worse, I actually really like the illithid. I've read every lore book I could find on them. And I'll tell you that this trailer doesn't do their menace justice, in face of some "le epic bad guy" vibe that's downright lowbrow.
Chill bro, everybody can like whatever he wants. I just don't see that bad animation, I feel it was done pretty good.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There was a novel?

There were three. They are universally considered to be the worst Forgotten Realms novels. Before reading the module, based on the FR Wiki, I was afraid that Abdel Adrian is the guy from the novels, and thus their events would be canon.

Just one quick example: within the second novel, Abdel Adrian has sex with Bohdi.

I think we're both on the same page for what we wanted from BG3, but you may have to accept that it's just dead Jim. This is gonna be a game that identifies as BG3, not what you're biologically attracted to. It won't even be Sophia Vergara with a horsecock - where I'll be able to just shrug my shoulders and say "nothing's perfect" while hesitantly getting on my knees, trying something new, and looking up hopefully.
:dead:
Just let it go Jim. Let it go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom