Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios - No, there are no actual gameplay details yet

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. Saerain Scholar Patron

Saerain
    Eh? If you're fast-tracking ceremorphosis for a teaser I don't know how else you do it than quickly deforming the shit out of everything.

^ Top  
  2. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    First it's "Hehe! I like you." Then, ZAP! Frog time.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I didn't expect you to treat a 3rd person action game seriously just because they've named it BG3. I wonder, by what standards will you be evaluating its RPG qualities? You wrote something about holding it up to the classics, but I don't see how this will work.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    How do you know that it's a third person action game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Well that's the most likely guess atm. They won't admit it's isometric, meaning it likely isn't. Because you could admit its isometric and it could still be turn based or RTWP. Plus Sven said something about there being no misses because it's boring. Seems likely to be some sort of Dragon Age 2 like action with pause game.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    I take Vamp Bloodlines and The Witcher seriously.

Both of those games have more reactivity than BG and BG2 combined.

We can potentially make many comparisons but we need more info first. At this point, we know next to nothing.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's a guess, based on Sven's talk of "very high production values" and "missing isn't fun", but mostly on the fact that they are keeping that answer under wraps. I don't think they've ever hid such a detail about an upcoming game. Also, as it has been pointed out in this thread - after the age of Skyrim, triple-A RPG developers and their sources of funding now live in the age of GTA5 and Witcher 3.

I guess they are counting on it being a big hype generator - "See the city of Baldur's Gate from the inside/through the eyes of your character for the first time in D&D gaming", such sort of thing. Then Sven shows up and starts drooling about how they had a genius orginal story with incredible emotional impact, and one morning he woke up and he realized that they can't do it justice with an isometric game, rushed down to the office in his underpants and screamed "everyone stop working, we are switching to 3rd person!!!" And all Larian employees burst into spontaneous applause.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ulrox Arbiter

Ulrox
    I doubt it. Beamdog's ultimate goal was always to do a Baldur's gate 3. Can't imagine Trent Oster feeling good after having spent years working towards this goal, and then Larian swooping in and getting to do it. It's probably bittersweet.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Even Trent Oster can't be blind to the the mediocrity of Beamdog. As if anyone would have put Baldur's Gate III into the hands of such incompetency. Imagine what a fucking disaster that would have been.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    As their EEs and expansion interquel demonstrated, Beamdog lacked the aptitude to develop BG3. Larian, a much bigger developer with a much better track record, still experienced difficulty convincing Wizards of the Coast that they were up to the challenge. I don't think Beamdog are butthurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. turkishronin Learned

turkishronin
    What if it's... first person

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    It'd been lot more entertaining to laugh at their miserable failure than the banal boring shit mediocrity by Larian which just gets "meh"-reaction.

• thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. InD_ImaginE Cipher

InD_ImaginE
    I doubt the problem lies within Larian or Beamdog but instead on WOTC. WOTC clearly doesn't want just another niche CRPG. They want something with much boarder appeal. Just look at their licensed video games post NVWN2. Beamdog proposal would have them use the Infinity Engine which is old as fuck. Larian, based on the interview that their initial proposal was also rejected. At that time they just finished a successful D:OS which means their proposal should be a TB or at least RTwP.

Now we have a 300 people team working on this game. This will be an action video game. Even the RPG part is doubtful at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Well said. They unwittingly inflicted so much damage with their EEs: it divided the community. And then SoD turned the fanbase toxic. The BG community was great before Beamdog came along. Now, it's insufferable.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I dunno, you still had that Saerileth nutcase back then.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. InD_ImaginE Cipher

InD_ImaginE
    Lol this is clearly not right. BG community was always part of more toxic part of gaming community. The old guard conservative gamer who would be triggered by anything not "pure". It just SoD became the trigger of such toxicity. Removing SoD from the picture, if BG 3 by whoever was actually made and dare to be more liberal in view reflected in the game, the fanbase would still explode with toxicity. While some part of the Codex certainly grumbled over the lore accuracy of the game, most part of the internet is on "REEEEEEE SJW REEEEE" train. The problem of course could be avoided by: 1. better writing 2. not fucking up the PR by letting that Amber or whoever the writer was to lash back at the community with her woke comments, but it doesn't change the fact the very BG (or may CRPG in general) community is like that. Blaming Beamdog for BG community toxicity is like saying "The Nazi are cool if only there is no Jew to be gassed."

• Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    I don't blame WotC. There were no good devs around in that period. I wish TSR still helmed D&D, but I still have some faith in WotC because of their 5th Edition.

• M'lady M'lady x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ulrox Arbiter

Ulrox
    This was going to happen regardless. It's a thing I've noticed happening all over the internet. Back when the internet first began, it was only advanced users who were able, or cared, to go online. As time passes, and as the internet has gotten easier to access, communities that used to be amazing, has slowly gotten worse and worse.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Well, I was there at the beginning of BG and then when those EEs were announced. I saw what happened. Many of the best posters left. I left for several years, too. So it's your word against mine.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Stalin_Brando Arcane

Stalin_Brando
    It would be nice to see Throne of Bhaal remade - using all the original systems - as a full game. Story wise, it's the third part of a trilogy anyway. It just lacks a lot of details, exploration and options.

Then let them do whatever they have to do with a brand new trilogy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    The whole Time of Troubles affair was basically an in-setting justification for the changes in AD&D from 1e to 2e, just like the Spellplague was for the changes from 3rd to 4th edition, and the Sundering from 4 to 5. These mega-events in the forgotten realms don't happen just for fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Are we sure its not going to be isometric and/or turn based? Given Larian's success with the DOS games, and that they were granted the license based on those games, why would they suddenly bandon the format they know and love and switch to an action game?

Don't get me wrong, I do believe they seriously considered RTwP + over the shoulder camera in the vein of DA:O and they might go with that, but I don't see right now them going for a single character action rpg like Witcher or Skyrim.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    If they're keeping a roughly IE style of gameplay, but making it TPP, hacking together an isometric camera and getting a playable result shouldn't be that big of an issue. Especially if they plan for it a bit ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ulrox Arbiter

Ulrox
    They said it wasn't going to be turn based, but they also said they started out by copying everything from 5th edition, so my bet is on real time with pause. The action game is just codex being triggered by anything that sounds even remotely like an appeal to mass markets.

• FAKE NEWS x 3
    • [citation needed] x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)