Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios - No, there are no actual gameplay details yet

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    You're making assumptions about AD&D2 based on BG?
    BG left a lot of stuff unimplemented that would be icky to implement.
    Just a single class alone :
    [​IMG]

D&D3E and later may have differing level of complexities but make no mistake, there's a ton of stuff in AD&D that doesn't translate well to computers.

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Radial menus are retarded.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Thonius Liturgist

Thonius
    And that's how you make fighter class fun...

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I think that's DA:O. The second shot has the camera further out than I remember it going, she may have the tactics (or whatever it was called) mod installed.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    NWN2.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Its great compared to prior editions. Its still D&D and thus carries the baggage that goes along with it, like high hps at higher levels, but its the best edition of D&D till date. One of the main reasons is the fact that magic items are no longer assumed in a PCs progression, i.e. the game math does not assume every PC will have magic weapons/armor/items by a certain level. This results in a low powered feel and its much easier now to have low magic campaigns. There are also no longer any monsters that require magic weapons to be hit; monsters do have resistances, such as werewolves are resistant to non silver weapons meaning they take half damage from them, which is fine IMO.

The magic system was also improved, making mages more fun to play, though the overall power of spells has been reduced making magic users and clerics less dominating. For instance, its now impossible to stack buff spells; each buff type spell (like bulls strength) remains only until the caster concentrates, and a caster can only concentrate on one spell at a time. So no more spamming bulls strength, bears endurance, etc before a fight.

Stats no longer go above 20 now, including with racial mods or even magic items.

The 'bounded accuracy' design principle makes it easier to hit things and also to get hit in turn, this also means things like normal armor is more important than before, as there are very few other ways to raise your AC.

The skill system appears to have been 'dumbed down' but honestly the way the skills worked in 3E and PF each class only ever specialized in their core skills as it didn't make sense not to and you didn't have points left over to spend on other things (unless you were a pure rogue) so in some ways 5e's simplicity in this regard is appreciated. Its still not good though and could have been far improved.

On the other hand the game is in some ways less complex and thus less satisfying than say Pathfinder; I actually prefer PF's base system which was much improved over 3E, especially the plethora of character choices at each level, but that game has too much baggage, like carrying over the assumption that PCs will be loaded with magic items by level 4+ and this is built into the games math and the monster math.

D&D 5e is basically AD&D 3e, or what a straight evolution of AD&D2e would have been.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Brofist x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    if you've got Fallout you do have Daggerfall, right?
    I can't stress the importance of Daggerfall enough. it's Skyrim/ Oblivion/ Morrowind done right.
    seriously, I spend more time in the Iliac Bay than in real life. install that game now!! standard controls are retarded but you can change them to play exactly like Skyrim, no difference at all.

oh and if you like Wizardry 6/7/8 you will also like Wizards & Warriors.

• not sure if serious x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Get Ultima 8 as well. It's :decline: from 7 but still a great game by today's standards. The atmosphere is great and the exploration and magic system is really cool.
    You could give the Ultima Underworlds a go, but as some of the earliest 1st person rpgs they are really primitive when it comes to graphics and UI, enough that it could easily get in way of your enjoyment. I had loads of fun with both games when they were new though, so it's not as if they are unplayable.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • :M :M x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Oh shit I do have the ultima underworld games, forgot. And maybe I’ll get 8, if I really like the Ultima series, still haven’t played it yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    :balance:

• decline decline x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Efe Learned

Efe
    if ur getting ultima underworld also try out its spiritual successor, underworld ascendant and let masterlobar know your feelings on the game on the games thread in codex

^ Top  
  12. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Baldur's Gate 3 and Blood Bowl 3, 2020 is gonna be a gud year.

^ Top  
  13. cloudropis Novice

cloudropis
    Worded that wrong: "who thought RtwP was a good idea past computer games loosely based on AD&D?". What I meant is, RtwP seems to work fine with lighter systems like IE's portrayal of its ruleset, whatever it might be, because your options are pretty much autoattacks with the occasional toggle/active and spells. It starts chooking hard when you implement all the movement stuff in real time.

^ Top  
  14. frajaq Arbiter

frajaq
    Have they mentioned if they're gonna release more info in E3 itself?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Kinda sounds like shit, whats the point of being an Abjurer or Transmuter and stuff?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Mr. Magniloquent Learned

Mr. Magniloquent
    I prefer Mike's RPG Center.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    That is also just straight up inaccurate.

^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    With the except of the Barbarians whose STR and CON can go up to 24.

• incline incline x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    That's false. Lycanthropes are immune to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from weapons that aren't silvered. The same applies to several constructs and adamantine, and many creatures (such as liches and extremely powerful demons) are immune to non-magical bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage in general. Also, over 150 creatures are at least resistant to non-magical weapon damage, so although magic weapons aren't mandatory, martial PCs will certainly struggle without one.

Not quite. Although most good buffs require concentration, there are good ones that don't: Mage Armour, Mirror Image, Aid, Blink, Freedom of Movement, Foresight, Crown of Stars, Mind Blank, and many others.

Also false. There's a manual/tome for each ability that increases the maximum score by 2, the Barbarian capstone increases the maximum STR/CON score to 24, Blessings increase stats above 20, and several items and artifacts put scores above 20.

Nonsense. It's a slightly AD&D-fied 3.5E, which is good, but very far from a third AD&D.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    but what is the best ruleset that could be adapted to a first person skyrim killer by belgium

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ulrox Savant

Ulrox
    Call of duty,
    world of warcraft,
    diablo 3
    playerunknowns battlegrounds
    fortnite
    skyrim
    euro truck simulator
    counter strike go
    grand theft auto 5
    crysis

Totally necessary games for you to install and dedicate your entire life to.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    It's not a purist AD&D until they remove feats entirely. :cool:

• Yes Yes x 3
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ulrox Savant

Ulrox
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the max is 30, right? Which would be 5 more than adnd second edition, but still less than the third editions.

^ Top  
  24. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    This is correct.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    i read it as hating d20, not necessary going deterministic.
    Basically doing d20 with bonuses to check being way under 20 and relying on some threshold is just bloated system. I expect there will be less randomized factor involved, (think d6 instead?) or cards

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)