Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios - No, there are no actual gameplay details yet

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So the engine is the DOS engine, that is interesting. Thought I read somewhere they were going with something totally new, oh well. One thing though, DOS engine is based on Unity right, even for the second game? I'm having trouble finding information about it. I mean, if it is, it isn't their own in-house engine completely?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Shrimp Educated

Shrimp
    Nothing that I'm aware of, but I feel it'd be odd for them to officially announce the game in the days leading up to the largest game expo and then do nothing with it. I wish we could move past the trend of making teasers/trailers for upcoming trailers or announcements already :roll:

^ Top  
  3. Ulrox Savant

Ulrox
    I don't know much about it, other than, it most certainly isn't running on unity, otherwise you'd get really crappy performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Shrimp Educated

Shrimp
    It's being developed on a new iteration of the same engine. I'm guessing that's what you read? As far as I know it's their own in-house engine which they've gradually updated with every new release.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I see, shit, I could swear that Original Sin was made using the Unity engine. Guess I was wrong. Then their engine is 100% in-house.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dodo1610 Learned

Dodo1610
    Yeah unlike the "professionals" at Obsidian the Belgians managed to create a working graphics engine on their own instead of licensing existing ones.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma
    Torment: Tides of Numenera

Swen and the fat wotc dude live @ e3

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    It's Mr. Doritos.

^ Top  
  9. Shrimp Educated

Shrimp
    I missed it. Did they say anything new?

^ Top  
  10. Barabus Learned Patron

Barabus
    jesus nothing new, he even sounded nervous when he was asked about gameplay and he kinda skipped around the question

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Thonius Liturgist

Thonius
    Completely new shift? 3rd person view?

^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    He has been following this thread I see.

D:OS/2 is on their own engine.

^ Top  
  13. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Speaking of Robocop, it just dawned on me that Swen Vincke kinda looks like Bob Morton. Hope he is careful when ordering champagne after inviting bitches at his house.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    you can see flashbacks of steam forums in his tired belgian eyes

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I tagged Larian with this pic and they did not reply. I suppose they are not people of the culture
    [​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    Can you social media people ask them questions? I wanna know how they can make a better game than Kingmaker, and if they can't make something much better then why even bother? And if they can make something much better then tell me how or I will know you can't. Also why was DoS2 worse than DoS1? That is inexcusable to me. Also why did you do the armor system in DoS2? Surely you can see it makes the game less fun? All it means is you can't use any control spells, you have to build everyone to just blast the shit out of everything and once you finally blast through their shields, there is no point using control anyway, you may as well just blast a bit more and finish them off. It doesn't make sense. I had more fun in the first few hours of DoS1 than I did in the entire game of DoS2.

Also why fewer action points? Did you try to make the game simpler? Or harder? Or what? What was the reasoning. And why do you not fire whoever decided it? Show me one gamer on the planet who would prefer fewer AP per turn.

I have some faith in Larian though. Just not lots of it.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    I wonder what these ideas that blossomed into something much bigger are. I wonder if BG3 will have anything really new in the RPG genre. And I don't mean some shitty town building gimmick. Will the game just be BG2 again? Or will it feel new and different?

^ Top  
  18. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Fairfax

Resistance is not the same as total immunity, though you are correct about certain powerful monsters like Demons. Still compared to 3e there are far, far less monsters requiring magic weapons to be hit. With creatures like lycanthropes their immunity is lore correct and makes sense, and yet their silver vulneribility also allows a lower level party to be able to fight and kill one without requiring magic items.

Many of those aren't really buffs, they are useful in certain circumstances. By buff I mean enhancement spells that have a direct affect on combat ability. Furthermore some of those you mentioned that would classify as buffs can only be cast on self (like Mirror Image)

Ok, I forgot about the Barbarian capstone but that's a unique capstone feature of a single class, which you get at level 20. And even then if you took every single level of that class without multiclassing till level 20. And things like manuals and tomes & artifacts are extremely rare things; you are neve guaranteed to get these things in your campaign. You most certainly cannot start with them unless you are playing a specific type of game (i.e. a high powered game) In 3e you could go above 20 naturally using racial mods and putting your attribute increases into the concerned stat.

Sorry, D&D 5e is an evolution of 2e; just because it doesn't have THACO doesn't mean its not. Though yes you could also say its AD&D-fied 3e since it uses the base system (ie. the d20 system) rather than the mess of subsystems that was AD&D but not slightly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    Did Larian hint anything about party size yet?

^ Top  
  20. Bara Educated

Bara
    Huh, might have been mentioned earlier but the gog page for BG3 has been changed to matched the steam page now.

Instead of saying "real-time" in the genre tag its now "stratagey"

Really wonder if Larian requested this or if gog decided on their own to match the it to what was on steam.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Barabus Learned Patron

Barabus
    dad?

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I hope to God it's going to be BG2 again, lololol. But it won't be.

^ Top  
  23. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    Hmm I like BG2 but I already played it and so many other games that are a lot like it. I want something new. DoS was a nice idea with the magic and elements and shit but it isn't deep enough. Kingmaker is nice but it just feels like playing TOEE and stuff, again, only with lame town building gimmick and too many trash fights. I think BG3 needs to look and feel like BG in tone, but I think the gameplay needs to evolve.

p.s. I have a bad feeling I will end up enjoying KOTC2 more than BG3. But I will try to stay positive :>

^ Top  
  24. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Given the alternative, I don't want them to "evolve" anything, least of all the gameplay.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. volklore Educated

volklore
    I already got my IE BG 're-do' with kingmaker. Still kind of hoping for turn-based which would be the non brain damaged option considering the studio developing it. But when studios wanna go AAA, they tend to lose self-awareness :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)